As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic the Gathering: Another Yugioh?

Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2007 in Social Entropy++
I have been collecting Magic The Gathering since I got introduced by a couple of kids from Highschool. I am no longer in touch with them, but I still retain my Magic cards. Recently, I bought a large amount of cards for $150 CDN and sorted them with my girlfriend during the nights at our get away. Now she wants to build a couple of decks and I still have my Elf deck and I shall make one more.

So how many of you play and what sort of decks?

I Know there is a Of Dice and Men topic,but this is for SE++.

Katchem_ash on

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wh--

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No. Just-No.

Weaver on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I sold my magic cards for thousands of dollars several years ago.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I gave my little cousin all of my not rare/holo/promo Pokemon Cards

then I bought some more

Garlic Bread on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Manifest wrote: »

I was thinking of selling my tripplicates that I don't use anymore. Do you have any idea Manifest of the status of market?

That goes for anyone else as well. Is there really a market for second hand cards?

Katchem_ash on
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I gave away all my Type 2 tournament decks that I was holding on to for some reason.

The only deck I have is ivory gargoyle/jokulhaups replete with beta Wrath's, Moxs, and Chaos Orb. I also run Ali from Cairo on occasion as a joke.

I'm not sure how much the deck is actually worth, but I would assume quite a bit.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I gave all mine to my nephew.

msuitepyon on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't there an entire forum for this? (That's not SE++?)

Ruckus on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played Magic 2 weeks ago for the first time in years. It was pretty fun.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I sort of on-off play

I have a bitchin' selesnya deck

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited June 2007

I was thinking of selling my tripplicates that I don't use anymore. Do you have any idea Manifest of the status of market?

That goes for anyone else as well. Is there really a market for second hand cards?

Well, Game Empire in Pasadena had a shitload of people playing Magic this last Sunday, so I'd say there's probably still a market.

Whippy would probably know more. He's like, the mtg ninja.

Has anyone played the online version? How does it work? Do you still have to buy card packs, or do you just get to construct decks out of anything you want?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't bought any magic cards in like 6 years, but I still keep a deck in my house, one back home in missouri, and one in my car - when i had a car. All just incase I ran into a cool dude that was into magic. I would be all "oh yeah fucker? BAM! Let's play!"

I only ever got to do that once.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i used to play a long time ago

every once i a while i'll find a card from my deck

also

SmartHerocard.jpg

somebody made it for me a while back on the forums

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007

Well, Game Empire in Pasadena had a shitload of people playing Magic this last Sunday, so I'd say there's probably still a market.

Has anyone played the online version? How does it work? Do you still have to buy card packs, or do you just get to construct decks out of anything you want?

You buy virtual cards.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Isn't there an entire forum for this? (That's not SE++?)

I guess we'll have to lock anything comics or videogame related too right?
    (in other words, stop being a pissy meta-mod.)

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't really know how M:TG could be considered "another Yu-gi-oh", considering it rolled out first, but OK.

There is a pretty decent market on Ebay for single cards, but a lot of what goes there is just higher end tournament cards as opposd to a stack of random and bad cards. You might even be able to get rid of some of those of Cardshark.com

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited June 2007

You buy virtual cards.

laaaaaaaame

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited June 2007
    i don't think i ever started that campaign

Abracadaniel on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got like 4 huge 12/12 Wurms off of ebay for five bucks

all four are in my deck

I don't think he was 12/12 but he was super-duper

Scrumtrulescent on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    that smart hero card has the ugliest art i ever saw

bongi on
    edited June 2007

You buy virtual cards.

laaaaaaaame

I think there's some way to trade in your virtual cards for real cards, but I dunno. I've never actually played MTG:O, it just seems like the game's gone a little to far at that point.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yu-gi-oh

gottta catch 'em all

Nuzak on
    edited June 2007

MTG:O is good in that it enforces all the rules for you, but it is ridiculously expensive to play. you usually pay MORE for a pack than you would in real life, along with having to buy tickets in order to enter a tournament.

A good, free alternative is Magic Work Station. It doesn't fill in the rules for you, but if you know them already, you can play with a limitless card pool in pretty much every format ever.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited June 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    that smart hero card has the ugliest art i ever saw

if i didn't have to go back to work i'd yell at you on aim

prepare for an epic tongue lashing later this evening

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007

You buy virtual cards.

laaaaaaaame

I think there's some way to trade in your virtual cards for real cards, but I dunno. I've never actually played MTG:O, it just seems like the game's gone a little to far at that point.

It would be better if they just charged a subscription fee, and allowed you to select any cards you wanted for your deck.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    combo.jpg

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I used to destroy everyone with direct damage. Basalt Monoliths, Sol ring, dark rituals, disintegrate, fireball, lightning and chain lightning.

I'm surprised I still remember all this shit.

Meiz on
    edited June 2007

You buy virtual cards.

laaaaaaaame

You have to complete an entire set to redeem it. If you want your foil cards, you have to complete a foil set. It's pretty brutal, and I don't think it is a feature many use.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited June 2007
    Well, I always imagine myself playing in some sort of Yugioh field with Magic cards. Like you play a forest and the one square becomes a forest, you tap the required amount and shining magic comes out and then you shout "Taste my magic! Hurriance!" as deep winds come from the card and strip your opponents of thier lifepoints. If they actually did that in VR then it would be awesome.

I run an Elf deck which contains (or at least is trying to) all the elf cards followed by Druids (humans) and Faries. I might make a seperate Farie deck. My GF is planning to make a Goblin and a Merfolk deck. It should be awesome if I can get the required cards.

Edit: Sorry it wasn't Zombie it was Merfolk. She didn't like any Zombie cards.

Katchem_ash on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I always imagine myself playing in some sort of Yugioh field with Magic cards. Like you play a forest and the one square becomes a forest, you tap the required amount and shining magic comes out and then you shout "Taste my magic! Hurriance!" as deep winds come from the card and strip your opponents of thier lifepoints. If they actually did that in VR then it would be awesome.

If you were a child that would be charming

FAQ on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's like a thousand billion elf cards in MTG.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited June 2007

I run an Elf deck which contains (or at least is trying to) all the elf cards followed by Druids (humans) and Faries. I might make a seperate Farie deck. My GF is planning to make a Goblin and a Zombie deck. It should be awesome if I can get the required cards.

I ran an elf deck back when legions was in Type 2 and I dominated all the popular deck types at the time. Slide and R/G Bea(s)ts were no problem, but the mono-red goblin sligh decks that were out were a little bit of trouble.

Timberwatch elf for the WIN.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The magic kids in my high school frightened me.

They were pretty intense. One of them tried to put a hex on me.

Bloods End on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    man, i remember this one kid i played with had an elf deck. He ended up with like 60 life and a billion little 1/1 shits running around. It was impossible to harm the fucker.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited June 2007
    I haven't played MTG since Stroke Of Genius was a new card, but boy did the deck I built around that card kick massive amounts of ass.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sometimes, I get nostalgic about Magic cards, then I think of how much money I wasted on them throughout high school, and how much more money I'd waste if I picked up the habit again. Whenever there are any card-based videogames though, I pick it up in a heart beat. Virtually spending points on virtual booster packs is a lot better than spending real money, at least for my wallet.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Who wants to buy a couple thousand cards I have in my closet?

Weaver on
    edited June 2007
    I personally like to run a set of creatures (elf, merfolk, zombie) rather than a mixmash.

Her Merfolk/Goblin vs My Elf/? would be cool. Anyone know if it is possible to run a farie deck? Green/Blue would be a good thing to run. Roots of Life (green enchantment, gives you one life for each island tapped I think) would be good for this.

Katchem_ash on
    edited June 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    Who wants to buy a couple thousand cards I have in my closet?

What editions?

Katchem_ash on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    k_a, have you seen those editors that let you design your own magic cards? You should do that with anime and Street Fighter characters.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!