As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Figures and portraits and illustrations (NSFW)

• Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    WOW LOOK AT THAT TERRAIN YOU DID A TERRAIN ALL RIGHT THATS A GUD LANDSCAPE

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are you using photoshop cake?

I wonder if with your particular skillset Corel Painter might not be up your street (or artrage).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes I am using photoshop. I own Painter but I can't find my disc so I am just going to stick with photoshop for awhile unless it turns up.

I drew in charcoal again today for the first time in exactly 7 months. Here is that drawing. And also my digital stream for today is now up.

4.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nicely done cake, major props for nailing the reflected light under her chin.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Alright here is todays new digital:

Digi21.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't get why the water expands after the waterfall. I guess it would make sense if the bridge is spanning two bluffs/overhangs, but the water looks sort of like it's supposed to be in front of that.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cake, why didn't you start doing these earlier! I'm so glad you're keeping up with it

also just out of curiosity, do you doodle in a sketchbook? like, spontaneously? nothing preplanned or thumbnails for some bigger piece, just sketching for the sake of sketching

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Much improved, Cake.

I like how as soon as you start painting digitally your subject matter changes completely. Traditional art gets us nude studies and portraits, digital gets us robots and ninjas.:P

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks guys.

D-Robe - I am not entirely clear on what you are talking about honestly.

Asamof - I do though it's becoming much harder to find the time to do that lately.

Rolo - Well contrary to what people on the forum may perceive I have broader interests than drawing naked people! That is merely a means to achieve what I want to achieve with my artwork.

rts on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just to break your balls. that would a been a lot more intersting to look at if you took that bridge and rotated it slightly towards us so we are looking at a back 3/4 and a front 3/4 of the two ninjas (Dynamic is generic-hah)

I dont get your compositional decisions either. Ok you wanted to show the enviroment they are fighting in but the way you composed everything you are calling all the attention to them. Which makes me want to crop in and paint them up to be a bit more interesting.

IF you had pushed them a little further up in the composition or further down so the first read is.. wow look at that water fall or look at those mountains/clouds then oh hey look those two ninjas are fighting.

IF you look at movies when the director pulls out of a fight scene he usually doesnt keep the fighters smack in the middle of his "box" or frame. You have your area of highest contrast (which is typically gonna draw the eye like a magnent) almost exactly in the middle where they are fighting and.. you spent the least time making it look intersting relative to everything else. A lot of these are nice but they feel rushed in the sense you didnt really spend enough time thinking the composition out and then you got tired before you finished painting up.. or you started painting up and then realized you didnt really like the composition.

IT would seem that youd feel you are accomplishing more if you just make a Good composition--Keep your information very simple almost abstract. You can always come back and make it look nice everyone knows you have the ability to do so.

I hope my nit picks do not discourage.. or come off as me just ragging on you for the fuck of it.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the critique. Actually I did paint them a little more elaborately a couple of times but I kept removing it because it wasn't fitting for the scene. Its a delicate balance trying to keep them rendered enough to be interesting and subdued enough to fit in their environment. I certainly don't think I have struck that balance...their silhouettes are odd at best...but I only have so much time on each one of these.

rts on
  • Options
    E.M. GistE.M. Gist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just thought it might be interesting to see them all together. The last two are looking great. With a bit more work over all, and some intense work on the focal point these could both be really cool pieces. In addition I like the space bum and space bus stop. Obviously the future astronaut portrait is cool, but is less ambitious.
    ryan1.jpg

E.M. Gist on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Digital for September 1st.

1.jpg

I don't know why it isn't showing up right now. I am just going to assume something is wrong with my host at the moment and they will fix it while I am sleeping.

rts on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Colours are looking awesome. Reminds me of the dream sequence in that Simpsons episode where Bart sells his soul to Millhouse.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Digital for September 2nd. Didn't get as far as I would have liked...proved to be quite a challenge just getting what I had to read.

2.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IMO... develop that picture. It's fucking awesome, now I look at it, simply because it's such an unusual perspective and once I adjusted my eyes slightly, I saw exactly what was going on. The light and floor pattern is enough to imply the huge empty, slightly dusty but grand room that she's in. I love it.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks SC, I would like to take it further but we'll see what time permits.

Stream up for a short while before class.

rts on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    These have all been great daily sketches cake.. one thing however.. even though you're doing these out of your head.. you're kinda using the same color/temperature schemes.. I'd get a little more bold with your colors, not so much in the sense of 'high' key chroma, but in mixing up your warm/cool schemes and letting them intermix a little bit more.. on some of them the compositions are almost 50/50 and they aren't really interacting together as much as they could be(if that makes sense).. almost like you're breaking up space evenly between temperatures.. since its digital.. and you don't really have to fix anything, I'd say experiment more with color after you have the composition figured out.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Shizu. Yeah my first step into color on each of these is to use a gradient of one color to another and overlay it on my black and white sketch. The result is, the less far a piece goes the more two tone it feels. I am definitely starting to try to play more with color but the time is so limited that I struggle to get beyond just a drawing I am happy with. As I get faster I will try to think about it more and more.

Also stream up.

rts on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cakemikz the woman in the tub picture is my favorite thus far. if you do not go back to working on that you will be The Biggest Asshole.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry CheerfulBear, taking the naked lady further has already been vetoed by the powers that be.

The stream is up again.

rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Digital for September 3rd.

3.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Haha, you really did go with the bearded lady. Nice!
    Her face looks kinda Simpsonsish though.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What do you mean Simpsonish?

Also, stream up fools.

rts on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It looks like she has a beak.

And a fine, full beard.

Brolo on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whoa nice shit Cake!!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks EWA.

With two classes today, a nap and way too much time spent on the dudes face this didn't get as far as I would have liked...but then again they never do. If I find some extra time tomorrow or Sunday I will try to go back and take it further.

4.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't know whats happening there. Some sort of elevator shouting match? Maybe she's about to deliver a roundhouse kick and he sees it coming?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's all "I'm so angry! I'm going to remove my pants immediately" and she's all "where the fuck are my shoulders"

NightDragon on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    clearly it is a prelude to angry elevator sex

exit on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He's a vampire assholes. I thought I might do a vampire thing since Erik paints so many vampires. Also he is working on an elevator thing right now too...though that's zombies not vampires. The stream is up when you get done gawking in awe of my drawings.

Yesterday morning 2 hours in charcoal.
    watts1.jpg

Last night 3 hours in graphite (this is the one I liked so much in class but then got home and wanted to rip it in half).
    watts2.jpg

This afternoon, 2 hours in charcoal.
    watts3.jpg

And I have been working on a gouache version of that waterfall piece and this is the progress so far. Jeff Watts has actually worked on it some so that isn't all me. Also you can clearly see I have taken some of Ken's advice and extended it significantly at the bottom.
    waterfall1.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nice gouache! I like the layering on the left. Actually, the layering in general. Looks nice.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's all "I'm so angry! I'm going to remove my pants immediately" and she's all "where the fuck are my shoulders"

:lol:

XAL on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    *snip*

the dude with the dreads or whatever looks like an awesome model.. Incredibly awkward pose for the figure however.. I would have forced whoever staged to start over.. you can't let someone who looks that cool to be in such a static pose..

And I have been working on a gouache version of that waterfall piece and this is the progress so far. Jeff Watts has actually worked on it some so that isn't all me. Also you can clearly see I have taken some of Ken's advice and extended it significantly at the bottom.

That looks great.. you kept all the energy that was in the sketch.. you can't tell he worked on it.. no palette knife lol.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    September 5th. Based on a sketch that I posted in the doodle thread a month or so ago. I don't know..man one of these days I am going to get one of my buddies and just shoot a billion pieces of reference so that I can reference them while I am working.

5.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    September 6th. I feel like I could make this one really cool if I went back to it. Originally I had her in a much more dynamic pose and the sword was actually floating...but I didn't care for it so I decided to do something much more straight forward.

6.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that last one looks great cake, almost reminds me of a Waterhousey figure, you planning on refining it? I Strongly urge you to.

I'm impressed at your recent constitution, you can see your confidence growing with these.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    that last one looks great cake, almost reminds me of a Waterhousey figure, you planning on refining it? I Strongly urge you to.

Have you been to the RA exhibition?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png