As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Goddamn, another PAL delay. Euroscum such as myself have to wait 'til 7/3 (or 3/7 for you yanks).

Sigh.

Wait, what? Where?

You're not going to be happy...

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

Rotam on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rotam wrote: »
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    It's the 14th now. Ever heard of a game slipping with just over a week to release? Don't even see how it could happen.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, well.
    At least it's only 2 weeks rather than another month like last time.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I figured out a couple of things to make the game more enjoyable.

1. When the "slow-mo arrow" appears, just before enemy and sword connect, shake the wiimote in that direction to do a suped up attack. This attack kills (with Tsubaki-II) all the normal baddies on bitter in one hit instead of knocking them down. Your sword emits more electricity and you will see small blue arrows.

2. You can counter attack by blocking and pressing the "A" button at the same time your enemy hits you. This makes boss fights a lot less mundane (you don't have to dodge all the time anymore). This works great against Bad Girl. If you pull it off right, the attack will look like a full charged low attack. The other one results in you clashing weapons together.

3. Tsubaki-II>Final Tsubaki. On bitter, your suped up "slowmo" slash attack with Final Tsubaki will knock down enemies. As I said earlier, Tsubaki-II kills everyone it connects with.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Tsubaki-II may have power, but Tsubaki III has Style.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    BAD GIRL

NRRRRGH AHFKAFAFLWMLCASMLSDM

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I had quit using game reviews in magazines and on websites to determine what I wanted to play long ago. However, I reached a breaking point today on just not even LOOKING AT THEM ANYMORE casually. My roommate gets Game Informer for free with his EB Edge card and they reviewed No More Heroes in the issue he got in the mail today. It got a 6.....and the review was chock full of cynical bullshit about the graphics not being up to par and how the story was cliche and silly and the mini games didn't fit the life of an assassin. It made my head hurt.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think it's safe to say that Game Informer's review section hasn't had any credibility since that whole fiasco with Paper Mario. Odds are they gave it a low score because they thought the game wouldn't be popular.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Paper Mario fiasco?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They gave the gamecube Paper Mario like a 6 or something namely because it was "kiddie". An editor even acknowledged on their message board or in an email or something that they gave the game a lower score because they thought it wouldn't do well commercially.

Pretty ridiculous snafu if you ask me.

Here is a link to a story about it at Jive Magazine's site, written by somebody named Imran.

http://www.jivemagazine.com/column.php?pid=2589

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow...that's....that's just stupid. That's about as bad as PSM knocking points off of Uncharted because it improved upon its genre rather than reinventing it. I don't think I'd ever look at gaming magazines if my roommate and I didn't get them for free from Gamefly and EB.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fun fact: the offending review is curiously nowhere to be found on the Game Informer website.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sadly enough I cannot find a BloodBerry anywhere on ebay or Craigslist for sale....I've been searching since I started playing.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sadly enough I cannot find a BloodBerry anywhere on ebay or Craigslist for sale....I've been searching since I started playing.

I had the strange urge to do that once I got this game, as well... no such luck.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, my childhood fantasy of beating people to death with a fluorescent tube has been realised commercially.

Now if only I had a wii.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, I think Bad Girl might have been my favorite fight. Even if I hated her at the time, it's the only real knock-down, drag-out fight in the game other than Shinobu, who was much less satisfying to stomp on. I think before I go fight #1, I'm going to buy that ridiculous outfit that costs an insane about of LB. I don't know why, but I think it's important I face my destiny in style. I'm kind of tempted to find all the Lovikov's now that I've only got seven left.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was getting incredibly frustrated with finding treasure (I kept mistaking them for the balls, and wanted to get the 49th ball out of the way) and hated just randomly pressing A all around the white dot hoping to get lucky. Finally, I read somewhere, probably this thread, that if you have rumble on, it will give you hints about the location, and it worked well. Before playing No More Heroes I had rumble off and the speaker at 1 notch above silent since I find it annoying in most games, but while I wish the game would have clued me in on there importance, I'm pleasantly surprised they used the wiimote so well. Integration of speaker and rumble, excellent use of waggle, not enough to be annoying, but enough to viscerally involve you in the killing. No More Heroes and Resident Evil 4 show that 3rd parties can use the wiimote well, if they put forth the effort.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    NightspireNightspire Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    3. Tsubaki-II>Final Tsubaki. On bitter, your suped up "slowmo" slash attack with Final Tsubaki will knock down enemies. As I said earlier, Tsubaki-II kills everyone it connects with.

Not quite true. The mkIII has a triple low charge attack, more than enough to wipe out most beam katana grunts. Just charge it up, and keep pressing A. It's the best way to get 100+ kills in mission 18.

Nightspire on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'll see how they compare.

edit: Wow. This is like the red-9 for boring players.

1st try=104 kills 2nd try=114 kills

At first I didn't think this would work that hot on bitter since enemies will actually hit you. The charge your weapon while moving away from the enemy works though.

edit 2: My highest score so far is 123 kills. Wipe out the purple guys (4 of them) first and then whoever is left (4 people). This lets you kill them as a spawning groups of 4.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm surprised that people had so much trouble with Bad Girl. I think I died more at Destroyman and Harvey. Bad Girl only killed me once, because I got hit with her OHKO attack. This was on mild, by the way.

My strategy was pretty simple...

I just used charged low shots for the entire fight. Fully charged was the best, but any charge at all seemed to get through most of her defenses. Back up, charge, move in and hit her, repeat. You just need to pay attention to when she is going to attack so you can dodge, but I killed her fairly quickly.

When she shot out her friends I just ran to the back of the room, kept moving so they didnt hit me while they were in the air, killed them and then went back to her. I was pretty disappointed with the difficulty of that fight, to be honest.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lmao. Everyone leave the game running and come back 5 minutes later (or however long it takes the wiimote communication to be interrupted). Check out what Travis is doing.
    he's jackin it :lol:

edit:
    Eh. He's actually adjusting himself and does this as a standing animation too. I had the camera angled at his back, so it sure looked a lot different. I should submit it to gamefaqs as legit though.

Henry on bitter is just not fun.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bioptic wrote: »
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    It's the 14th now. Ever heard of a game slipping with just over a week to release? Don't even see how it could happen.

Remember that many PAL people are very touchy about delays. There's no getting used to it.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    Bioptic wrote: »
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

Remember that many PAL people are very touchy about delays. There's no getting used to it.

They've probably delayed it so they can cut out some more stuff.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rank 4 was weird.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Rank 4 was weird.

Wait, which one was rank 4?

Edit:
    Oh yeah, the magician guy.

Man, I'd be so banned if I didn't spoil this and let out that there was a magician guy in no more heroes.

Also, I heard that the mods can't read spoilers, so you can put whatever you want in these things.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I remember right Rank 4 isn't even a fight. It's a long drawn out cutscene. Yeah its werid.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I remember right Rank 4 isn't even a fight. It's a long drawn out cutscene. Yeah its werid.

That was five.

Four...
    Sylvia was acting pleasant and praised your odds (2000% certain you'd win), gave you a kiss. You go to a show and fight a magician, all the while talking like it was an actual show, like you're actually excited, etc. The guy was really easy, too

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    4 is probably the easiest fight in the game. ESPECIALLY if you've played Super Mario Galaxy.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    4 is probably the easiest fight in the game. ESPECIALLY if you've played Super Mario Galaxy.

I see your 4 and I raise you 5.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I see your 4 and I raise you 5.

I said fight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It was a fight, of sorts... a battle of wits... an epic conflict that ended in bloody, bloody death.
    On second thought, it's the hardest fight.

freakish light on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    I'm surprised that people had so much trouble with Bad Girl. I think I died more at Destroyman and Harvey. Bad Girl only killed me once, because I got hit with her OHKO attack. This was on mild, by the way.

I just used charged low shots for the entire fight. Fully charged was the best, but any charge at all seemed to get through most of her defenses. Back up, charge, move in and hit her, repeat. You just need to pay attention to when she is going to attack so you can dodge, but I killed her fairly quickly.

When she shot out her friends I just ran to the back of the room, kept moving so they didnt hit me while they were in the air, killed them and then went back to her. I was pretty disappointed with the difficulty of that fight, to be honest.

Was that on Bitter? Cause all the goddamn fights are easy on mild.

Bad girl's way harder than the end boss on Bitter. And Henry is just a "Do you want to fight for 80 minutes?" combat... with occasional reset.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't imagine playing this game without the wiimote speaker on. The lightsaber noises coming out of it are amazing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kainy wrote: »
    elevature wrote: »

Was that on Bitter? Cause all the goddamn fights are easy on mild.

Bad girl's way harder than the end boss on Bitter. And Henry is just a "Do you want to fight for 80 minutes?" combat... with occasional reset.

Eh, I thought Bad Girl was easier than Henry on bitter. For Henry the fight was so damn long that mistakes just kept building and building. And it was easy to make mistakes since the fight was so repetitive. (You would know what was coming, but small mistakes could get ya hit pretty easy.) Hitting Bad Girls home runs back at here was so damn fun.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't have a Wii, but I think I'll just buy the game for the hell of it.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

You should do so. It'll come in handy if you find an extra Wii on the side of the road or if someone left one at the pool or something.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You should do so. It'll come in handy if you find an extra Wii on the side of the road or if someone left one at the pool or something.
    Start looking in dumpsters, or digging near trees/bushes.

You might be lucky and find $1000 or $2000.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I might have to wobble a bit first.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Just don't go out wearing a shirt you really like. Because if you find another one it'll magically appear on your body and you'll have to go all the way back home to change.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, wait

If I picked "The Ending," how do I load the game in order to get the real ending?

... I can, right?

Cosmic Sombrero on
This discussion has been closed.