As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I haven't beaten the game yet, still a few guys away, but all this talk about "real" endings makes me have to ask.

Is it obvious whether or not you get the "real" ending?

Yes, very

Saying any more might spoil it so I wont

bruin on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I went to my friend's house today to hang out and play some Diablo 2. And what do I see?

An unopened copy of NMH (along with Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, RE4: Wii Edition, and a few others) sitting on the floor. He's had the game since release (based on my recommendation) and hasn't touched it at all.

I don't have to tell you how disappointed I was with him.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem is that you guys have been playing Diablo 2.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SPOILERS

In the fake ending Travis gets a touchdown
    In the real ending, the GIANTS get the touchdown

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The problem is that you guys have been playing Diablo 2.

Actually we haven't played it in years. We got the itch to play again, and we started from scratch.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't beaten the game yet, still a few guys away, but all this talk about "real" endings makes me have to ask.

So obvious as there is an option that says:

View Ending

View REAL Ending

and you can pick one. But I dont think you can pick the real one on sweet. Or maybe I just did something wrong on my first playthrough.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm playing on... Mild? Whatever the hardest difficulty there is available at the start.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I went to my friend's house today to hang out and play some Diablo 2. And what do I see?

An unopened copy of NMH (along with Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, RE4: Wii Edition, and a few others) sitting on the floor. He's had the game since release (based on my recommendation) and hasn't touched it at all.

Could I have that copy?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »

So obvious as there is an option that says:

View Ending

View REAL Ending

and you can pick one. But I dont think you can pick the real one on sweet. Or maybe I just did something wrong on my first playthrough.

You can pick it on Sweet, that's how I got to see it.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You have to have the Tsubaki Mk III in order see the real ending, regardless of difficulty

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Could I have that copy?

Oh believe me, I'd rather give it to someone else than let it sit on the floor collecting dust.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man, the Rank 2 fight is a brutally long battle of attrition. I could never get in more than a couple hits on the other assassin at a time, so I just had to keep my distance and wait for openings.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So. Real ending stuff.
    Was the entire game a fantasy dreamed up by Sylvia's daughter Jeane, or not?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So. Real ending stuff.

Wh... What? No. What gave you that idea?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So. Real ending stuff.

The entire post-credits thing.

The only recurring characters in the game of importance are Travis, Henry, and Sylvia - Jeane's mother and the characters of the painting that Jeane is looking at. There's also two other people named Jeane in the game, that being Travis's cat and the top-ranked assassin (projection on the part of Jeane, perhaps?) The entire game played out in the manner that it was so blatantly obviously a video game, the over the top violence and sequences fit with the imagination of a child (while obviously the language does not, admittedly), whatnot. That coupled with the blatant fourth-wall breaking, the convenient amnesia, and the tying together of everyone important (Jeane being Travis's half sister, Henry being his twin brother, Sylvia being Henry's wife, etc) all seem to fit with the overactive imagination of the child.

Basically, I took that last bit where it shows Jeane looking at the painting and Sylvia commenting about the fact that she liked the painting so much to mean that the entire game was Jeane's imagining what led up to that painting in the first place.

Yes, I'm reading too much into this, but that's precisely what popped into my head when I saw it. And the concept amuses me greatly.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's actually a pretty interesting interpretation, and makes sense in a lot of ways. I like it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So. Real ending stuff.

The only recurring characters in the game of importance are Travis, Henry, and Sylvia - Jeane's mother and the characters of the painting that Jeane is looking at. There's also two other people named Jeane in the game, that being Travis's cat and the top-ranked assassin (projection on the part of Jeane, perhaps?) The entire game played out in the manner that it was so blatantly obviously a video game, the over the top violence and sequences fit with the imagination of a child (while obviously the language does not, admittedly), whatnot. That coupled with the blatant fourth-wall breaking, the convenient amnesia, and the tying together of everyone important (Jeane being Travis's half sister, Henry being his twin brother, Sylvia being Henry's wife, etc) all seem to fit with the overactive imagination of the child.

Basically, I took that last bit where it shows Jeane looking at the painting and Sylvia commenting about the fact that she liked the painting so much to mean that the entire game was Jeane's imagining what led up to that painting in the first place.

Yes, I'm reading too much into this, but that's precisely what popped into my head when I saw it. And the concept amuses me greatly.

The St. Elsewhere ending, huh?
    If you missed the eighties, here's a hint.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So. Real ending stuff.

The St. Elsewhere ending, huh?
    If you missed the eighties, here's a hint.

Pretty much. Except cooler, since it has beam sabers and such.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So after a long trial of getting the NTSC import I've had sat here for ages working on a PAL console, I now have blood!

Thus far I'm enjoying the main part of the game, the fight engine and the assassinations but the wandering around town feels so incredibly tacked on. It's ugly (Jesus christ, the pop in, and half the buildings look untextured), it controls terribly when on the bike and in general I hate it.

Do I have to spend much time doing open-world stuff folks? I've done the picking up coconuts crap and an assassination mission (now that was more fun) and have enough cash to enter the next round. Does the amount you need to do in the open world increase?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The world is basically just mini-jobs and assassin hits for cash, and a few stores to buy things at. There are hidden cash and t-shirts around the city, but it's not like GTA with fully-fleshed out areas everywhere.

Driving the bike takes a while to get used to but it controls pretty slick once you get a handle on power-sliding.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've found the overworld is a lot more tolerable when you think less "GTA" and more "Shadow of the Colossus".

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think more "just two more missions and I can get the jacket with Mt. Fuji on it".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I ended up going through the game twice in my brief stay with it, both times picking up basically as little stuff as possible and doing whatever was the best money to time spent job.

Had to do with the fact that besides a different pair of shades I was perfectly happy with the default clothes. In fact nothing irked me more than picking up a random shirt.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Good article. There were a few like it around when the game was release though. (I say this because the article says those aspects of the game weren't getting the attention they should, not because it's too late to post a link to that or anything like that.)

bruin on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I ended up going through the game twice in my brief stay with it, both times picking up basically as little stuff as possible and doing whatever was the best money to time spent job.

Had to do with the fact that besides a different pair of shades I was perfectly happy with the default clothes. In fact nothing irked me more than picking up a random shirt.

Yeah, I kept Travis in his defaults the whole way through. There's just something that suits him about wearing his favorite anime t-shirt into every major battle.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kupi wrote: »

Yeah, I kept Travis in his defaults the whole way through. There's just something that suits him about wearing his favorite anime t-shirt into every major battle.

I tried to dress him appropriately according to how Sylvia said to meet her at. Like, for the "big show", I dressed him up like he was going to a rock concert, with the flame t-shirt, studded jacket and gold-fire pants.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I tried to dress him appropriately according to how Sylvia said to meet her at. Like, for the "big show", I dressed him up like he was going to a rock concert, with the flame t-shirt, studded jacket and gold-fire pants.

I beat the game with what I deemed "ready for love" Travis, since he was about to be rank 1 and the character amused me as being over the top enough to do something like that.

White jeans with the heart embroidery, pink jacket, pink shades, pink belt, and that hand-drawn crayon scribble pink and white t-shirt.

I do not regret this decision.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I kept the first jeans, but changed the other stuff a lot.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have a few pretty awesome outfit combinations I've come up with... I wish there was an easy way to take pictures to show them off.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I bought a new, color-coordinated outfit for each boss. Because I am gay.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After getting it, I stuck with the blue shades, orange jacket, tie-dye-skull shirt, and flame jeans outfit for the duration of the game.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I got the whole BWJL outfit.

It makes the last fight so much more fruedian.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just realized that this game reminds me of Megas XLR.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did like rocking the blood-stained pants and "You say PSYCHO like it's a bad thing" t-shirt for a while.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did like rocking the blood-stained pants and "You say PSYCHO like it's a bad thing" t-shirt for a while.

Ditto, except with the I <3 Chainsaws shirt.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Giant Squid shirt was my killin' shirt.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I made sure everyone knew that every boss battle was a Cat Fight.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    For the "witch" fight, I made sure to wear my limited-edition Blueberry character t-shirt.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After my bitching about the open-world aspect, I must say that I AM FUCKING LOVING THIS GAME.

I still dislike/hate riding around on the bike and doing jobs but the assasinations and combat more than make up for it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
This discussion has been closed.