As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's for dinner?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Made this one for dinner today out of stuff hanging around in my fridge; came out damn tasty.

Boil some broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces, in water with a heavy pinch of salt thrown in until tender. At the same time, fry up a few strips of bacon.

When the bacon is crisp, remove from the pan, drain on paper towels, and reserve the drippings from the pan. Grab some of the flour tortillas that Robert Rodriguez taught you how to make. Load up as many as you like with the pieces of broccoli. Grate some orange cheddar cheese on top of the broccoli, and crumble bacon on top of that.

Close up into a taco shape (you might need a toothpick in each one to keep its shape). Using the bacon pan, fry the bottoms of the tacos in a few tablespoons of the bacon drippings over medium low heat for a minute or so. Remove from the pan, let sit for a minute or so, eat. Yum.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sara Lee Honey Weat
    Kraft Singles
    Country Crock Butter
    A Toaster
    Miracle Whip or Teriakia Sauce (lol spelling m i rite)
    Some Deli sliced meat

BAM. Greatness.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fuck that. This thread ain't dying.

Anywho. I have created some sort of monstrosity.

Fish --> I used tilapia, because it was in the fridge
    Jerk seasoning --> I had this kind of paste stuff
    ORange juice
    Peas

Season the fish with the jerk, then fry a little. Add OJ and peas. Bring to boil. Serve with rice.

Worked pretty well, though mine's a little spicier than I'd like.

VishNub on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1 lb ground beef
    1-2 large roasted red peppers diced
    1 medium onion diced small and sauted
    3 cloves crushed garlic
    14oz green olives chopped

Saute the onion
    Add garlic for 30 sec
    Add ground beef. brown.
    Add diced red pepper
    Add green olives

Now you add tomatoes. A plain old can of crushed works fine if you're in a hurry, but a real pizza sauce would taste better.

Add tomato paste until it's thick enough to hold together on a bun.

Salt and pepper o taste.

Spoon mixture onto a bun, top with cheese (I like to combine a good melting cheese with a hard cheese for flavor) and broil until cheese is melted.

It'll look like sloppy joes, but taste like delicious.

edit: If you're using a strongly flavored sauce you ay want to reduce or remove the garlic from the recipe.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I cooked a frozen lasagna and it turned out pretty bad.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, so like.. next year I'm off the meal plan at school. I don't personally have my own kitchen, but there is a kitchen on each floor, with stove/oven + microwave, so hopefully I can use it when I want to...

What kinds of cookware should I get and tools and whatever?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You need:

3 knives for cooking:

1 large chefs knife
    1 offset serated knife
    1 paring knife

You can also get a flexible boning knife if you want, but you may not need it.

All pans you get should have nice heavy bottoms, and you can probably get by with just three:

A large stock pot for boiling water or making soups
    A large saute pan or cast iron skillet
    A nice non-stick pan

A 9x13 Caserole can e used for almost anything that you want to put in an oven. Very utilitarian

A set of good nested steel mixing bowls, from large to small.

A couple of flexible plastic cutting boards

A pair of silicone oven mitts (these can be washed in a dishwasher, very nice)

A wire whisk or two

A silicone spatula for flipping in a pan, and couple of silicone or rubber scraper style spatulas

Measuring cups and spoons....

I'll edit later with aditions, I have to go right now.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Actually, if you're just feeding yourself, often the handiest item is one of those little weeny frypans, like 6" across or so. Perfect for scrambling eggs, or cooking that single piece of meat. And oh yeah, teflon is your best pal.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Chicken Salad- and I could be killed for giving you this recipie....

Chopped chicken (Just boil it in some chicken broth)
    chopped celery (not too much)
    Chopped bacon (becareful of how much you add, its salty!)
    Cubed sharp cheaddar cheese
    mayo
    a little bit of mustard
    garlic salt
    onion salt

mix all together, make sure the chicken and bacon are cooled. Careful on the spices (including mustard), add a little, taste, then add more if needed.

Best chicken salad EVER.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Actually, if you're just feeding yourself, often the handiest item is one of those little weeny frypans, like 6" across or so. Perfect for scrambling eggs, or cooking that single piece of meat. And oh yeah, teflon is your best pal.

A cast iron pan is best

one of those + anything + a decent cooking oil = dinner

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not much of a cook. It's difficult to dedicate more than an hour just to prepare, eat, and then clean each time I want to eat in a day-- even if I really do have the time. Therefore I'm constantly stuck with something easier to make and that's not usually healthy. All that, and it's often easier on the budget to eat quickly.

I will say that Good Eats by Alton Brown is absolutely the best TV food show you can ever watch. It's the shit!

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno if I'd get a cast iron pan for dorm life (although they are damn useful) - they're super heavy, and lugging one back and forth between your room and the kitchen will get old pretty damn fast.

Make sure you get a good nonstick fry pan - no using metal utensils on this! Wooden, silicone, heat-resistant plastic only. A good saucepan would be nice too - you can make pasta/rice in them. If you drink a lot of tea, make a lot of pasta, or need boiling water a lot, an electric kettle is very useful.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bowls
    One big frying pan, one small
    Pots
    Package of spatulas/spoons
    collander
    measuring cups/spoons
    13x9 pan
    cutting board
    Knives

I just did this this summer, and I'm trying to remember what I had to buy...

I personally do pretty much everything in a frying pan, so I wouldn't go el-cheapo there. Mine's about $50, and I love it. Everything else can be pretty cheap, except maybe the knives. Don't buy expensive pots in college. You'll lose them or ruin them, most likely. Also they're heavy. I got a whole set for $20.

I'd skip the cast iron. They're harder to clean, and I only know like two recipes where they're really useful. Though I do love corn bread.

On that note, when making cornbread. IF you can, do it in a cast iron skillet. Melt a bunch of butter in the bottom, pour in the batter however you make it and cook it on the stove for ~30s, then put it in the pre-heated oven. This works because A) butter is delicious and B) it gets you this gloriously delicious crispy crust that your normal 13x9 or 9x9 pan won't do.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Going to try to make Tandoori Chicken and tandoori potatoes tonight. Also another batch of Carne Adovada. And another pot of pinto beans.

So basically the last time I tried tandoori chicken it was terrible. I'm going to try to do simple this time:

puree some garlic, ginger and crushed indian red pepper. Add plain yogurt, turmeric, salt, pepper. Maybe some channa masala and msg. Marinate chicken legs/ thighs (and potatoes) overnight in a ziploc. Bake for some amount of time at I dunno 350?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FletchsmFletchsm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, so like.. next year I'm off the meal plan at school. I don't personally have my own kitchen, but there is a kitchen on each floor, with stove/oven + microwave, so hopefully I can use it when I want to...

What kinds of cookware should I get and tools and whatever?

Good article about outfitting a kitchen for under $200.. $300 if you want to go fancy.Linky

Fletchsm on
    [GIR is disguised as a government agent]
    Gir: I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh man. Just threw this one together for fun. It's pretty damn good, though.

Ground pork
    Rosemary - chopped
    Brandy - like a good size splash
    Apple - I used one apple/1lb pork
    bread/breadcrumbs - I used one slice of bread then a bunch of breadcrumbs
    salt+pepper - Like, some, I did it to taste, mostly.
    currants - a handful?

Mix it up and fry it.

Then the sauce is honey+dijon mustard+a little brandy+some hot sauce

Pour the sauce over it and eat. I'd serve it with like... couscous would be good. I think.

I'm not sure how much of most of the ingredients because I usally just throw things in and taste it. The flavors work really well together though.

I'm really happy with this one.

edit: Cooking the alcohol out of the brandy beforehand would be a good idea. It doesn't get out of the meatballs, and leaves an off taste.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    For the second time, I am making these amazing fish tacos with peach salsa:
    tilapia-tacos-ck-1215932-l.jpg

Here is the recipe:
    Ingredients

Salsa:
    2 cups finely chopped peeled peach (about 2 medium)
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced

Remaining ingredients:
    1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 pound tilapia, cut into 2-inch strips
    Cooking spray
    8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    Preparation
    To prepare salsa, combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add fish to bowl, tossing to coat. Place fish in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once.

Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish and salsa evenly among tortillas.
    Yield

4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos and about 1/2 cup salsa)
    Nutritional Information

CALORIES 250(15% from fat); FAT 4.1g (sat 1g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 25.8g; CHOLESTEROL 75mg; CALCIUM 30mg; SODIUM 533mg; FIBER 3.5g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.6g

Only thing is I added more red pepper than they called for in both the salsa and the breadcrum stuff, and 2 jalepenos instead of one for extra spicy.

And it's mad easy to make, pretty healthy too. Sitting in the oven right now.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just made the most delicious fried potatoes. They were so good that I took pictures of them. I'll upload them and post them.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    I just made the most delicious fried potatoes. They were so good that I took pictures of them. I'll upload them and post them.

Doooo it!!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fried potatoes!
    DSC00493.jpg
    DSC00497.jpg
    DSC00498.jpg

The lighting was bad in the finished product pictures, but whatever.

Next time there are a few things that I'll do differently:
    1. Cut the potatoes bigger. I cut most of the pieces pretty small this time because I like my potatoes crispy, but the big ones were crispy enough.
    2. Use a little more seasoning, a little less black pepper.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a camping recipe, so I'm not fully sure this goes here.

First, you need to have a Dutch Oven.
    Get a good fire going, and get lots of good embers.
    Oil the inside of the oven, and then add a thing of yellow cake mix, 2-3 30oz cans of fruit(depends on how much fruit you want in it), and a can of sprite or 7-up.
    Mix all of this together.
    Put it on top of the embers, also make sure you put embers on top of the oven, and rotate the embers every so often.
    Do this for between 50 minutes to an hour.

This makes a nice easy camp cobbler, my uncle tought me how to do this on a camping trip to Arizona.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but hey, who doesn't love cobbler?

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    So I have another (big) batch of carne adovada marinating in the fridge. Must be ten pounds of the stuff - it's heaping over a lasagne pan. I'll cook it tomorrow.

I also have a big batch of tandoori chicken marinating (probably 10 drums and 8 thighs), a batch of tandoori shrimp marinating (big bag, probably 3 lbs), and a cauldron of pintos soaking.

I've been a busy boy tonight. I should have enough food for a month.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Those fish tacos are probably getting made tomorrow, in all likelyhood.

Anyone got any recipes for breakfast? I wish I had my mom's cookbook on hand, she's got a banging recipe for gravy.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake

I didn't use dark-brown sugar.
    pineappleupsidedown.JPG

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Anyone got any recipes for breakfast? I wish I had my mom's cookbook on hand, she's got a banging recipe for gravy.

How'd the tacos turn out for ya?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007

How'd the tacos turn out for ya?

Also, because it looks delicious and you got bottom of paged, I'm just gonna quote this:
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake

I didn't use dark-brown sugar.
    pineappleupsidedown.JPG

Mmmm, dessert.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One of my favorite meals when I was flat broke was this:

Go to your local Foods Library and get some stew meat, its cheap because its kind of tough but should be cut up into little cubes. Now grab 2 of your favorite veggies (I prefer Mushrooms and Carrots) and your choice of beef seasoning (I prefer Montreal). Now cook the meat up, and when its about half way done sautee the veggies in a bit of butter and add them in so your meat absorbs some of that flavor. Season as desired and serve over rice or noodles.

Depending on how much meat you get that can be up to 5 meals worth of food.

Also try this, I'm sure most of you know it but I just recently heard of it, and its great.

Make some rice, any kind, even instant. And while its hot put a big old cup of either Regular or Brown sugar on it and let it melt a bit. Then spoon that into your mouth. Yummy.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Related to stews. My recipe does not call for potatoes. I want potatoes in my stew. When should I add said potatoes? Right now while it simmers for a couple hours? Or like halfway through?

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Anywho. Added potatoes early. Good decision.

Venison stew = quite good. I'm rather pleased with it. THe meat had an odd taste to it, which I would imagine was just the venison being venison, but that cooked out after a while. Turned out quite well, I thought.

Basically

Venison - cut into cubes
    red wine
    garlic
    onion
    nutmeg
    cinnamon
    celery
    carrot
    sage
    cloves
    potato
    bacon
    salt
    pepper
    bay leaf

MArinate the beef in the spices+wine, then carmelize the onion and crisp the bacon, brown the meat. Add the vegetables and the marinade, then water and wine to cover everything. Most of the spices were just a pinch or two, one clove of garlic, one onion. NEeded a lot of salt though. And pepper. Also, I was supposed to drain everything then puree the veggies+broth to make a sauce, but I didn't.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is my Stir Fry. This was orriginally stolen from my sister who did it with just whole pieces of chicken. I turned it into a stir fry and also made a Beef Varient.

400 grams of Chicken or Beef
    Fish sauce (Chicken only it doesn't work two well with beef)
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic (I prefer two)
    1 or 2 chillies (to taste really)
    1 red onion
    400 grams of frozen stir fry veggies (I like the thai, but different strokes)
    soy sauce
    Brown sugar
    Hoeiken Noodles (otherwise known as the best noodles ever)
    Some kind of oil (I'm lazy and use Olive but there is probably a better oil out there for this dish)

Dice the onion and chillie finely and slice (don't mash) the garlic. Chuck all this into a wok/pan on a high heat and saute til onion is cooked through.

Throw in the beef/chicken (sliced obviously) and lightly cook.

At this stage put the noodles in a bowl and pour hot water over them.

Now add a good dash of soy sauce and the vegtables, I never measure but keep in mind this will be your sauce at the end so use that as a guide.

Lid on with a low heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add a few tablespoons of sugar the fish sauce (for chicken) and the noodles.

Bring up to a high heat and simmer for another three (stirring throughout)

Serve and enjoy the awesomeness.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I tried this Lamb Tagine tonight. Its...okay, but not spectacular. Don't think I'll bother again, even though i <3 chickpeas.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My previous culinary failure will not spell the end of this thread!

CHICKEN THING #546853

1 chicken thigh fillet, diced and with the manky fatty bits trimmed off
    1/2 an onion, thinly sliced
    2 tomatoes, chopped roughly
    1 tsp garlic
    a blob of oil
    a shakin' of garam masala. more is more >.>
    a serving of couscous. like 50-100g, depending on how hungry you are. I t doesn't look like much before its cooked, so don't overdo it or you'll be up to your eyeballs in wheat
    a small lump of butter
    some chopped fresh coriander
    some natural set yoghurt. not the sugary stuff!

heat oil in pan, and onions, soften. add garlic and garam masala, stir a bit. iunno, half a minute? Hurl in tomatoes, stir a bit. Hurl in chicken. Cook on med-high, stir once in a while so it doesn't stick.

boil kettle, pour some water over the couscous, which is presumably in a bowl, until it is just covered. Stir the butter through to make it less boring. Let it sit a couple of minutes until the couscous soaks up the water.

Put chicken stuff on couscous, mix together with the coriander and yoghurt. Devour. Genuflect in my direction.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, this thread reminded me of a recipe I was looking for the other day, and now I've found it! Heston Blumenthal's recipe for the perfect spag bol. If you don't know who this guy is look it up. The man is a genious.

Its a long assed recipe, so I'm not going to try it for a couple of weeks, but here it is if anyone is interested:

Recipe: Spaghetti Bolognese

As you might expect from a classic of the Italian kitchen, this involves no special equipment, just a long, slow simmer to allow the flavours to combine. However, I’ve added in a few things to boost those flavours. Caramelising onions with star anise produces vibrant flavour compounds that really enhance the meaty notes of the sauce, and the oaky quality of the chardonnay complements the sherry vinegar in the tomato compote. Finishing the compote on a high heat captures something of the fried character I enjoyed at Trattoria della Gigina. The use of milk might seem strange but it’s a standard part of many Italian ragù recipes: as it cooks, the proteins and sugars in milk react to give extra flavour and body.

Timing: Once the meat is browned and the caramelised onions are ready (an hour’s work at most) the sauce is virtually left to simmer unattended for 8 hours. Do the prep first thing in the morning and then the day’s your own until it’s time to serve up dinner (especially if you prepare the tomato compote in advance, though even this involves a fairly simple preparation, followed by a slow, carefree simmer). You can even do all the cooking of the Bolognese in advance, then simply warm it through and add the tarragon bouquet garni on the day.

For the sauce base:
    125ml extra virgin olive oil
    250g oxtail, boned and minced
    250g pork shoulder, cut into 1cm cubes
    375ml oaked chardonnay
    1 star anise
    2 large onions (about 450g), finely sliced*
    2 large cloves of garlic
    2 large onions (about 450g), finely diced
    3 large carrots (about 400g), finely diced
    3 celery stalks (about 125g), finely diced
    250ml whole milk

For the tomato compote:
    975g ripe tomatoes
    1 tsp salt
    200ml extra virgin olive oil
    3 large cloves of garlic
    1 large onion (about 225g), finely diced
    1 heaped tsp coriander seeds
    1 star anise
    3 cloves
    4-5 drops Tabasco
    4-5 drops Thai fish sauce
    2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
    1 heaped tbsp tomato ketchup
    30ml sherry vinegar
    1 bouquet garni (consisting of 7 sprigs of
    fresh thyme and 1 fresh bay leaf)
    F or the finished spaghetti Bolognese:
    1 batch of tomato compote
    100g good quality spaghetti per person
    sherry vinegar, to taste
    Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
    1 bouquet garni (in a sheet of leek, wrap 6
    tarragon leaves, 4 sprigs of parsley and
    the leaves from the top of a bunch of
    celery)
    unsalted butter
    extra virgin olive oil
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparing the Sauce Base
    Place a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Crush the star anise and bag it up in a square of muslin. Add this to the pan, along with 25ml oil and the sliced onions. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the onions are soft and caramelised, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, preheat another large, heavybottomed frying pan over a low heat for 5 minutes. Mince the garlic. Pour 50ml oil into the pan, then tip in the garlic, onions, carrots and celery and cook this soffritto over a medium- low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the raw onion smell has gone. Transfer the soffritto to a bowl and wipe clean the pan.

3. Place the pan over a high heat for 10 minutes. Pour in 50ml olive oil and wait until it starts smoking: it must be hot enough so the meat browns rather than stews. Add the cubed pork and the minced oxtail. Stir until browned all over. (To brown properly, all the meat has to touch the surface of the pan. If it doesn’t, do it in batches.) Tip the browned meat into a sieve over a bowl (to allow the fat to drain off), then transfer the meat to a large pot or casserole. Deglaze the pan by adding a splash of wine, bringing it to the boil, and then scraping the base of the pan to collect all the tasty bits stuck to the bottom. Once the liquid has reduced by half, pour it into the large pot containing the meat.

4. Remove the bag of star anise from the caramelised onions and then tip the onions into the large pot containing the meat. Add the remaining wine and deglaze the frying pan (as in step 3). When the wine has reduced by half, pour it into the large pot. Add the soffritto to the pot as well.

5. Place the pot of Bolognese over a very low heat. Pour in the milk and enough water to cover entirely, and simmer very gently without a lid for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. At all times the ingredients should be covered by the liquid, so be prepared to add more water. (Don’t worry if the milk becomes slightly granular: it won’t affect the end result.)

Preparing The Tomato Compote
    1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Fill a large bowl with ice-cold water. Remove the cores from the tomatoes with a paring knife. Blanch the tomatoes by dropping them into the boiling water for 10 seconds and then carefully removing them to the bowl of ice-cold water. Take them out of the water immediately and peel off the split skins. (If the tomatoes are not ripe enough, make a cross with a sharp knife in the underside of each, to encourage the skins to come away. They can be left in the hot water for an extra 10 seconds or so, but it’s important that they don’t overheat and begin to cook.)

2. Cut the tomatoes in half vertically. Scoop out the seeds and the membrane with a teaspoon, over a chopping board. Roughly chop the seeds and membrane, then tip them into a sieve over a bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and leave for 20 minutes to extract their juice, after which you can discard the seeds and membrane, reserving only the juice. 3. Roughly chop the tomato flesh and set aside.

4. Meanwhile, place a large, heavy-bottomed pan over a low heat. Add 100ml of the olive oil. Mince the garlic, then put it into the pan along with the onion. Cook for 10–15 minutes, until soft but not coloured.

5. Crush the coriander and put it in a muslin bag, along with the star anise and the cloves. Add it to the softened onions and garlic.

6.Take the juice drawn from the tomato seeds and membrane and add it to the onions and garlic along with the tomato flesh.

7. Add the Tabasco, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup and sherry vinegar. Drop in the bouquet garni and cook over a low heat for 2 hours.

8. To add a roasted note to the compote, add the remaining oil and turn up the heat to high. Fry the compote for 15–20 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure it doesn’t catch, then pour off any olive oil not absorbed by the compote. Set aside a little to coat the cooked pasta. ( The rest can be stored in a jar and makes a great base for a salad dressing. The compote itself will keep in the fridge for a week.)

Cooking The Spaghetti Bolognese
    1. Stir the tomato compote (including the bag of spices) into the Bolognese sauce and cook over a very low heat for a final 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil for the pasta. For every 100g of pasta, you’ll need 1 litre of water and 10g salt. (If you don’t have a large enough pan it’s essential to use two pans rather than overcrowd one.)

3. Put the spaghetti into the pan, give it a stir, then bring back to the boil and cook until the pasta is just tender but with a bite. Check the cooking time on the packet and use that as a guideline, but taste it every few minutes as this is the only way to judge when the pasta is ready.

4. Before taking the Bolognese sauce off the heat, check the seasoning and then add some sherry vinegar (tasting as you go) to balance the richness of the sauce. Add a generous grating of Parmesan (but not too much, as it can make the sauce overly salty) and remove the sauce from the heat. Take out the original thyme and bay bouquet garni and the bag of spices. Replace these with the parsley and tarragon bouquet garni, stir in 100g of unsalted butter and let the sauce stand for 5 minutes.

5. Once the pasta is cooked, drain, and rinse it thoroughly. Return to the pot to warm through. (Since the ragù is not going to be mixed with the pasta, it needs to be rinsed to prevent it becoming starchy and sticking together.) Add a generous knob of butter (about 50g per 400g of pasta) and coat with olive oil and the reserved oil from the final frying of the compote. To serve, wind portions of pasta around a carving fork and lay them horizontally in wide, shallow bowls. Top with the Bolognese sauce and finish with a grating of Parmesan.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Roast beef, extra sharp Vermont cheddar (white, because I can't taste yellow dye anyway so why even ingest it?), broiled on sourdough bread for like a minute and a half, with some ranch and lettuce. Simple, quick, better for me than Hot Pockets and damned delicious. Also, no dishes. :P

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    that sounds winner

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    that sounds winner

It's also infinitely variable between deli-meats, breads and cheeses.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Sandwiches tend to work that way.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    VishNub wrote: »

Sandwiches tend to work that way.

Yes but people neglect the broiler setting on their ovens. They favor dubious impliments such as the microwave, and meats of questionable meatitude and cheeses that just aren't. Making a sandwich that's actually good just puts a whole lot of the grocery store and the kitchen into perspective. Also; hot meal, no dishes.:whistle:

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, you can get so creative with that shit.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    goldenpenniesgoldenpennies Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    lately i've been making pizza quicks which are mini pizzas on english muffins. they're so easy to make and their actually good for you. just break the english muffin into two pieces, top with sauce and cheese & whatever topping you want. then you just heat them in the toaster oven.

goldenpennies on