As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ASK ME NOT, WHIPPY: THE THREAD (General Comics Questions Thread)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember Spawn getting shitty after about issue ten.

Or maybe that's just when I got out of middle school.

august on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alright, so I seem to recall Maria Hill getting the SHIELD leadership because she was someone who would toe the line for the president.

My question is a) is that what happened, and b) what is the reasoning behind Dum Dum Dugan not taking over for SHIELD after 2 changes in the director despite his years of service.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    There's a reason his nickname is Dum Dum and it isn't because of a gun or some-shit.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The man loves his suckers.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Khaczor wrote: »
    Hello I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to comics/graphic novels and was wondering if I could get any advice on what I should read next.

I just finished most of Alan Moore's stuff like Watchmen and Top Ten and have read all of Neil Gaimans work including all of Sandman. Most of their stuff was really good and I enjoyed reading it. I also used to read Spawn in the past( you know the whole deal of going to bookstore every week), but I don't think I wanna really get back into that since I remember it got shitty after McFarlane left.

Anyway I'm thinking of jumping into Marvel or DC now or whatever else is good and was wondering where I should jump in and read next.

I can heartily recommend Ultimate Spider-Man and Immortal Iron Fist without any doubt whatsoever.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2007
    Alright, so I seem to recall Maria Hill getting the SHIELD leadership because she was someone who would toe the line for the president.

My question is a) is that what happened, and b) what is the reasoning behind Dum Dum Dugan not taking over for SHIELD after 2 changes in the director despite his years of service.

A) That's the theory that goes along with this Skrull conspiracy, that they had someone in there who wasn't qualified because she wouldn't be as unpredictable as Fury.

B) Dugan wasn't selected because even though he's been with SHIELD a long ass time, he is pretty fucking closely associated with Nick Fury, who is basically persona non grata at the moment.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ringo wrote: »
    Khaczor wrote: »
    Hello I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to comics/graphic novels and was wondering if I could get any advice on what I should read next.

I just finished most of Alan Moore's stuff like Watchmen and Top Ten and have read all of Neil Gaimans work including all of Sandman. Most of their stuff was really good and I enjoyed reading it. I also used to read Spawn in the past( you know the whole deal of going to bookstore every week), but I don't think I wanna really get back into that since I remember it got shitty after McFarlane left.

Anyway I'm thinking of jumping into Marvel or DC now or whatever else is good and was wondering where I should jump in and read next.

I can heartily recommend Ultimate Spider-Man and Immortal Iron Fist without any doubt whatsoever.

I have started Ultimate Spider-man with the first 3 trade paperbacks.. so good. I need to pick up Immortal Iron Fist, which I think I will be doing within the next couple of weeks.

I also just started the Invincible, DMZ, and New Avengers series, although I think I am only going to keep up with buying Invincible and DMZ for now.

I think I am going to get the Booster Gold trade paperback (if there will be one soon? I am not sure how these things work..) I just prefer the nice glossy collections as opposed to the actual comics as they come out because they are more solid, there is more to them, etc.

(Edit: Also, I have the Cable & Deadpool trade #3, which I liked, Deadpool is a lovely dude. But I keep hearing such awful things about Rob Liefeld that I am not sure I even want to get the others. I mean sure, others' opinions is a terrible reason to not get something that I actually like.. but still. So many pouches.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I have a bigger question about Dum Dum. Why the fuck is he alive? He died in Wolverine: Origins and was then back two weeks later like nothing even happened.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Is anyone reading the new Thor series? I haven't heard anything about it really, so I kind of assume that it's mediocre. But like I said I haven't heard anything about it.

if you like thor, you'll love it

if you don't (or are impartial towards him, like me), it's nothing special.

Not quite true: I love Thor, and for the most part this series is great, but there are some things it could do without. The hackneyed and self-contradicting points made in the fourth issue could have been done without, and some of the dialogue's a little awkward. On the whole, however, it's pretty rad, and the art is fantastic.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2007

I have a bigger question about Dum Dum. Why the fuck is he alive? He died in Wolverine: Origins and was then back two weeks later like nothing even happened.

stabbed does not always equal killed

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do we think characters like Batman and Spider-Man should ever come to terms with the deaths of their parents and parent figures?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Artreus wrote: »
    I think I am going to get the Booster Gold trade paperback (if there will be one soon? I am not sure how these things work..)

That is one of the most serious problems with DC, actually. No one really has any idea when or if something is going to be put in a TPB. They really need to start following Marvel's lead in collecting issues.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This reminds me, didn't Jubilee get crushed in Origins, then pop up in the New Warriors?

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay...I could have swore that whenever it was announced that Sean McKeever was going to be the new regular writer on Teen Titans after Adam Beechen that his regular artist was going to be Ale Garza. Yet so far Garza only drew a couple of pages in #50 and all of #51 and nothing in the three issues after that. Then Newsarama.com posted an interview with Eddy Barrows saying he was the new regular artist. However, I can't find anything as to what happened to Ale Garza and he won't answer questions about it on his Myspace. Is there a news story that I missed somewhere?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Devnoimag wrote: »

This reminds me, didn't Jubilee get crushed in Origins, then pop up in the New Warriors?

Crushed does not always equal killed.

Also they said they'd get her medical care at the end of that so I assume she ended up okay.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Artreus wrote: »
    (Edit: Also, I have the Cable & Deadpool trade #3, which I liked, Deadpool is a lovely dude. But I keep hearing such awful things about Rob Liefeld that I am not sure I even want to get the others. I mean sure, others' opinions is a terrible reason to not get something that I actually like.. but still. So many pouches.

Liefield has not done anything more than covers for all of Cable and Deadpool.

The only trade that'll make you cringe is the first and sixth ones, they have Liefield covers.

Oh and the few Cable Centric stories are ehhh

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey guys, I'm curious: how do you store your comics? Do you board-and-bag(-and-longbox)? Do you just dump them on a bookshelf/in a stack on the floor? Do you read them and then give them away?

I'm especially curious how people living in small apartments in big cities fare (which is most relevant to me, seeing as how I'm in a small room in New York City). I've got a longbox of board-and-bagged comics, and a whole bunch more sort of sitting in a pile on the floor (although, they are, at least, in the paper bags they were put into at the store, so they're mildly protected). I'd love to buy a second longbox and all, but I really don't have the space for another one (the one I've got is sitting in the middle of the floor, blocking access to some drawers).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bag and board and box, I periodically go through my boxes and either sell or trash stuff I don't want anymore. I also tend to buy hardcover editions of stories/runs that I really loved so that I can put them on my bookshelf (and then sell the individual issues to free up the space for new stuff)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone have those new drawer-boxes?

I mean, they're not THAT new, but still...

Squashua on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Bag, board and then they sit on in a set of bookcases.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only have about one longbox full of stuff now. It is my bedroom, between the night stand and the wall.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I bag and board and box, I periodically go through my boxes and either sell or trash stuff I don't want anymore. I also tend to buy hardcover editions of stories/runs that I really loved so that I can put them on my bookshelf (and then sell the individual issues to free up the space for new stuff)

If there was a place locally that bought back issues, I'd probably do this. As it is, I bag and board when I get my books and store them in longboxes. Space isn't really that huge an issue, since I live in a house in a small city.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I ebay stuff that I have long runs of.

Some stuff I just end up having to trash though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

That's the saddest thing in the world.

Other than that episode of Futurama with Fry's dog.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I ebay stuff that I have long runs of.

Ebay, you say? About how much per issue do you usually get?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It depends on what it is.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bale has learned from the awful shit I have pulled from the depths of my collection that I don't trash anything. Ever. I cannot get rid of something I bought, ever.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    We should have a Blackwulf thread

only the two of us would post in it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fuck, I still have bagged copies of X-Force #1 at my parents house. With each trading card!

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    once that full run comes in the mail and I become the Blackwulf expert I was born to be, this may just happen.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    Fuck, I still have bagged copies of X-Force #1 at my parents house. With each trading card!

You should send them to someone who would appreciate them. Someone like me.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I know I posted this already but I still wanna know.....
    Okay...I could have swore that whenever it was announced that Sean McKeever was going to be the new regular writer on Teen Titans after Adam Beechen that his regular artist was going to be Ale Garza. Yet so far Garza only drew a couple of pages in #50 and all of #51 and nothing in the three issues after that. Then Newsarama.com posted an interview with Eddy Barrows saying he was the new regular artist. However, I can't find anything as to what happened to Ale Garza and he won't answer questions about it on his Myspace. Is there a news story that I missed somewhere?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

But I don't hate you.

august on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I read Green Arrow: Year One and really enjoyed it and wanted to check out some more Green Arrow stories. Also I just watched a JLU episode with him and Black Canary trying to help out Wildcat and realized I want to read more of them. So what trades should I pick up?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

But I don't hate you.

what are you, new? Mask only likes terrible things! God, you don't know anything.

<3 Mask

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

But I don't hate you.

what are you, new? Mask only likes terrible things! God, you don't know anything.

No, he likes good things and terrible things.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

But I don't hate you.

No, he likes good things and terrible things.

Look you are ruining my stereotyping, okay.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    for good Black Canary stories I would reccomend Gail Simone's run on Birds of Prey.

for good Green Arrow stories

uh.. I can't in good conscience reccomend any of the Winnick stuff.

Wildcat is a central character in JSA, if you want to read more about him. (JSA is so good)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh sorry.

I mean uh

BlackPantherBlackPantherlol.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I really do hate what Hudlin has done to Black Panther (sorry mask)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.