As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Filming of Tom Cruise movie banned in Germany

• Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Germany has had a long standing beef with Scientology and Tom Cruise in particular, as well.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone who says Scientology is a religion needs to get their head out of their ass.

Its leaders have explicitly stated that it is primarily a money-making tool. Furthermore, they don't believe the shit they preach because they know it to be one huge scam, unlike followers of real religions.

--

I fully support Germany's judgment on Scientology being a cult and not a religion. As for their decision to discriminate against it, I'm not so sure.

ege02 on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    Anyone who says Scientology is a religion needs to get their head out of their ass.

Its leaders have explicitly stated that it is primarily a money-making tool. Furthermore, they don't believe the shit they preach because they know it to be one huge scam, unlike followers of real religions.

--

I fully support Germany's judgment on Scientology being a cult and not a religion. As for their decision to discriminate against it, I'm not so sure.
    How do you know that the famous proponents of "real" religions aren't just using them as ways to become rich and influential? It seems to have worked for Falwell and Robertson.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why don't we just define what a cult is, first of all.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    like Hoz said, if that Muslim was an extremist - which all Scientologists by definition are - then you can be damn sure that he wouldn't be allowed to film at West Point.

What's an extremist? someone who actually believes what he says he believes? Tons of religious people are extremists, if that's your test. I doubt he's going to be violent, and, aside from awkward Oprah appearances, I haven't seen anything resembling a history of violence from him. Do you think Jerry Falwell would have been allowed to film at West Point? I think that, by most measures of the word, he would have been an extremist.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    seasleepy wrote: »
    For anyone not totally understanding this: Germany hasn't banned Tom Cruise from entering the country, or the movie from being filmed there. They've not allowed it being filmed at military sites. The film is about the attempted assassination of Hitler in 1944, by members of the Germany military. Because Tom Cruise is a member of a cult - one which is monitored in Germany under suspicion that its activities are "directed against the free democratic order" - the Bundeswehr don't trust him to make a film about some of their officers.

The thing I thought was interesting was that they had some German MP on BBC World Service this morning and she seemed to be saying that this was more just that they don't let people film on military locations often, like apparently they wouldn't let Spielberg film at the Reichstag for Schindler's List or whatever. She did point out specifically that they were perfectly free to set up on a soundstage. I don't know how accurate that is though, since she probably wasn't directly involved.
    Hm. If this is the case then it's not as much of a bullshit decision as I initially thought. The way the article phrased it made me think it was pretty much entirely because Cruise is a Scientologist.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Forget muslim extremist, I'm not even sure the we would let Spike Lee film at one of our bases. I'm pretty some one in the chain would gladly tell Michael Moore to fuck off. And for the record, I would gladly tell Tom Cruise to Fuck off and die.

There is nothing saying the US military has to let civilians on it's bases, and I'm pretty sure Germany's military reserves the same right.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    D90D90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    1 a system of religious worship directed towards a particular figure or object.
    2 a small religious group regarded as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.
    3 something popular or fashionable among a particular section of society.

Scientology ticks two out of three.

D90 on
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Scientology has a history of infiltrating government organizations and attempting to subvert them. They place operatives into the FBI in order to gain access to records of their critics and further their own political agenda. Germany came down on them for pulling the same stuff there.

It's not about religion, it's about Scientology being a known source of political and industrial espionage.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Scientology is a religion because people believe that its teachings are true. QED.

As a religion, its members by law enjoy protection from discrimination against their idiocy.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Reading over the thread kind of tells me that I was wrong here. I still dislike the way Scientology is regarded as "false" or "crazy" in comparison to other religions, but in this case I guess the German government's action isn't entirely indefensible.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mmh, aparently there was no banning at all.

Because, you know... United Artists would have to ask first before receiving a (negative) answer.
    Which they didn't, yet.

But I can't find any links in English. :(

I'll keep trying to find one.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    LiveWire wrote: »
    Scientology is a religion because people believe that its teachings are true. QED.

As a religion, its members by law enjoy protection from discrimination against their idiocy.

Because people believe that it's teachings are true?
    Yeah, so do the members of suicide cults.

And if it isn't recognized by the government (is it?) then it doesn't get that protection.

D90 on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuck scientology. Fuck cruise.

It's a cult. He's a douche. These are valid points.

Still... come on germany, don't be like that. That's awful messed up right there. I expect more from them, of all peoples. Sure, we piss away our rights, but we do it to buy freedom. They give there's away to prevent offending people. Every time the government gains a new way to tell you no, you loose a little bit more freedom.

It's not about religion. Or the possibility of some dead people getting their feelings hurt. No the german government has one more way they are allowed to discriminate against a group of people. And this isn't keeping dirty dirty indigenous people from getting drunk and abusing their children(sexually of course, makes for great headlines), this is Hollywood they are messing with.

Ok, sooo... it's kinda trite really. A shitty movie I won't see won't be shooting on location. Fuck, the should have just said "no, sorry, Can't do it. Irreplaceable historic value and tourist money. Next!" They didn't and that is kinda wrong. Like, when a clown dies.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Operation Snow White

Among other things, Scientology had 4 programs designed to infiltrate the German government and had plans to take the German government to the UN on accusations of "Genocide." As you might guess, Germans can be a little sensitive about the word "genocide" being thrown about.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    D90 wrote: »

And if it isn't recognized by the government (is it?) then it doesn't get that protection.

Suicide cults are also religions. I'm not sure I see your point.

I don't see why any religion deserves exceptional protection.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Suicide Cults are religions too.

Religious people just don't like to admit that. It forces them to examine what makes them different in their belief in their religion. They know the answer already, "Not much".

LiveWire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Loren I like your moves.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    nialscorva wrote: »
    Operation Snow White

Among other things, Scientology had 4 programs designed to infiltrate the German government and had plans to take the German government to the UN on accusations of "Genocide." As you might guess, Germans can be a little sensitive about the word "genocide" being thrown about.

That seems like a reasonable reason to discriminate.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    1 a system of religious worship directed towards a particular figure or object.
    2 a small religious group regarded as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.
    3 something popular or fashionable among a particular section of society.

Scientology ticks two out of three.

umm... isn't Hubbard more or less their god? Savior anyway. Kinda popular too. I don't get how it isn't all three.

not like the lets look it up a dictionary.com gambit holds much weight in a semantic debate around here.

redx on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Religious people just don't like to admit that. It forces them to examine what makes them different in their belief in their religion. They know the answer already, "Not much".

Fair point
    not like the lets look it up a dictionary.com gambit holds much weight in a semantic debate around here.

Well Tarranon did ask

D90 on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Suicide Cults are religions too.

I thought we were talking about governmental definitions.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about governmental definitions.
    no... that would be relevant.

redx on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Their justification for not allowing them to use their facilities is his religion. People would bitch endlessly if, say, an outspoken Muslim wanted to make a film and the government said "No, you can't film at these facilities, because you're a Muslim."
    Granted, they should have probably focused more on the fact that he's a crazy person rather than a crazy person who adheres to a crazy religion.

But Scientology does not enjoy any legal protections as a religion and is highly controversial - especially in Germany as has been pointed out. As such, they can get away with including his religious affiliation in their complaint.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I agree that Scientology is a money making cult, but am unsure why belonging to it would effect Tom Cruises ability to accurately and seriously portray a rebel nazi.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    What is it about Scientology that appeals so much to celebrities in the first place?

I imagine it's one of the few religions that doesn't say the poor are better off spiritually than the wealthy.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    What is it about Scientology that appeals so much to celebrities in the first place?

I imagine it's one of the few religions that doesn't say the poor are better off spiritually than the wealthy.

Because the more you pay, the more magical secrets you get

D90 on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

It also promotes the improvement of "Mental Health" for those that're already mentally healthy. People with mental problems need not apply due to being "Crazy", as L Ron Hubbard himself claims in the interview he had. Yet... They also claim to be able to cure certain mental problems like Dyslexia, which Tom Cruise has.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I agree that Scientology is a money making cult, but am unsure why belonging to it would effect Tom Cruises ability to accurately and seriously portray a rebel nazi.

When has Tom Cruise ever accurately and seriously portray anything other than Tom Cruise? Born on the 4th of July = Tom Cruise with no legs. Rain Man = Tom Cruise being an asshole to his brother. Top Gun = Tom Cruise as a cocky pilot. The dude doesn't act.

Gary Oldman FUCKING ACTS!

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Someone explain why this is in any way justifiable. Tom Cruise is one guy out of a crew of over a hundred probably there to film this movie. He will be in his trailer all day doing God knows what to his wife and baby, come out to shoot some random scenes, then leave Germany forever. Is Germany really this afraid of someone who thinks differently than them (even if it is just a money-making cult)?

I guess this won't be too much of an issue, though, because they'll probably just make mock bases and still film in Germany.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Operation Snow White

Okay, if Tom Cruise is a member of an organization that has planned espionage on and infiltration of the German government, I'm going to kind of side with Germany on this one. It's a little like not allowing a confirmed Soviet spy to wander around our military bases.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From what I read
    1. The Oldest son does not want the film to happen nor is he gonna stop them because it would only draw more attention and money to Tom Cruise.
    2. The government does not want someone associated to an organize group that has cases of attacking them.
    3. They do not want Americans in their bases. I am guessing this is an internal issue.

Also any group of people can get together and call themselves a religion. How does the government declare them a religion and allows them rights?

Also I remember when the whole Tome Cruise is crazy-jumping-on-Oprah's sofa-talk-smack-about-people-on-meds phase, he would always have a scientology tent while shooting a movie. I do not know if this still happens since he "fired" his assistant/pr person who was his sister and Scientologist.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Operation Snow White

Okay, if Tom Cruise is a member of an organization that has planned espionage on and infiltration of the German government, I'm going to kind of side with Germany on this one. It's a little like not allowing a confirmed Soviet spy to wander around our military bases.

What if its a confirmed soviet spy who believes in space emperors??!!!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Someone explain why this is in any way justifiable. Tom Cruise is one guy out of a crew of over a hundred probably there to film this movie. He will be in his trailer all day doing God knows what to his wife and baby, come out to shoot some random scenes, then leave Germany forever. Is Germany really this afraid of someone who thinks differently than them (even if it is just a money-making cult)?
    It's not so much "afraid of someone who things differently than them" as much as they are unwilling to co-operate with a production that will feature someone who they consider to be a weirdo portraying an important German hero. The temporary physical presence of Tom Cruise on the set is the least of their worries.

I wish I could think of an example, but I'm sure there must be other examples of an actor being criticised for not being "suitable" to play some historical figure.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    People didn't want Toby McGuire to play Spiderman!
    No, wait...

D90 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Thing is, the Germans are right. Scientology isn't a religion. It's a load of bullshit.

That comment made me laugh.

Regardless, the problem is, yes, Scientology is a religion, and it's just as bullshit filled as the rest of them, and I don't see any reason why it deserves any particular discrimination.

The difference is that when religions receive money, they take pay operating expenses and use the rest for charitable purpose.

When scientology receives money, they pay operating expenses, buy themselves boats and use the rest to extort more out of the rest of the population. Where religions promote healthy community and relationships, scientology destroys that in the pursuit of monetary gain.

The difference can be directly related to the damage the institution does to its practitioners.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Operation Snow White

Guilt by association? Tom Cruise never did anything to Germany, except try to bring them some money by making a movie there. You might as well say that Christians shouldn't be allowed in museums because they stole a lot of artwork during the Crusades.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hey, Richard Attenborough never did anything to India either - but there was still a degree of controversy over having an Englishman make a film about Gandhi.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crusades? That's hardly a current event.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The difference is that when religions receive money, they take pay operating expenses and use the rest for charitable purpose.

LOL

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg