As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Techno, in all shapes and sizes [NSF56K]

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I am posting to say that the Sasha and Digweed live set that someone posted waaay back is delicious awesome.

That was courtesy of IHasABucket. Savour it soldier, he went to jail to get you that.

emot-911.gifemot-911.gifemot-911.gifemot-911.gifemot-911.gif

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    along what lines do your tastes run, Tossrock? I've been looking at picking up the Justice album, you can definately pick the Daft Punk influences in there.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My tastes are "dumb faggot". Seriously I know nothing about techno or music in general but like trying stuff out; I can't really classify my likes other than "sounds good". Besides not liking country, because seriously fuck country.

As for techno I have that I like, um, Airbase - Spin and Alphazone - Flashback are pretty good. But again I'm pretty much the worst person you could ask for recommendations.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, so, rather than pollute the iPhone thread any further, why not bring this renamed shit back from the dead?

James Zabiela is playing in Chicago August 4th from 10 PM to 5 AM and hot damn, I just bought my ticket!

Lately, I have really been digging Paul Van Dyk's Vonyc sessions as well as Armin's A State of Trance; any other suggestions up in here?

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude, people hate electronica here. It's a lost cause. There are, like, six of us here.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Techno is more awesome when it's spun by both Sasha and Zabiela....

And as far as people hating it, who gives a shit? Enough people here hate me already :D

The rest are in poor taste...

Anyone want more Zabiela sets?

Let me know...

I cannot wait to see him in Chicago.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Justice's new album is pretty rad, as is Digitalism's. Have listened to them, bucket?

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    candanaviancandanavian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Voth wrote: »
    Dude, people hate electronica here. It's a lost cause. There are, like, six of us here.
    \

hey dude I hope you are counting me

seriously, if someone is making electronic music and really knows what they are doing, I dig it a lot

I used to have a goddamn daft punk signature, come on

candanavian on
    firamedferris5.jpgfavicon.ico favicon.ico favicon.ico
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys ever heard of Hybrid? It's good stuff.

I'm a big fan of psychedelic trance, in particular Shpongle and 1200 Micrograms.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    Justice's new album is pretty rad, as is Digitalism's. Have listened to them, bucket?

No I have not. Are you talking live performances or albums?

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wow I should totally read stuff before I respond to it, or at least stop skimming so much.

I will check them out.

Also, I never really liked minimal (or mnml as some would say) all that much until I started listening to Exercise One, and I must say it is starting to grow on me.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    justice's new album is fantastic.

Bucket: Minimal as in real minimal? Or minimal as mis-labeled tech house.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Honestly Fabricate seeing how much some people diverge on how to label a certain type of music I can't tell you for sure where Exercise One fits in; however, when I downloaded it, it was located in the Minimal section, so I figured it was a decent representation of the genre. A little techie I guess... try and give them a listen though.

Also OH SNAP One+One was the guest on Transitions this week, time to listen!

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just saw Daft Punk last night at the LA Arena. It was amazing.

Too bad the bands opening for them totally blew and I had to work at 5:30 in the morning today.

Still totally fucking amazing though. Such high production values on the obelisk and the lights. The whole arena was lined with LEDs and stuff for certain songs like around the world. And the encore, oh god the encore. I'm not sure how they did it, flexible neon lightning or something but they were playing in darkness with just the edges and details of their helmets and suits glowing orange, like they were straight out of Tron or something.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2007
    I like Cross but I think the songs have fairly repetitive sounds. I like the intro section of Let There Be Light because it's pretty dissimilar to the rest of the album, but then the bassline comes in and the drumbeat changes and stuff.

Idealism is a really nice album too. It's a bit more produced and less sparse sounded than Cross but it's still pretty similar I think. I'd say it's got more dance tracks than Cross.

Both remind me of Daft Punk; Cross of a kind of cleaner, more structured Human After All and Idealism of a kind of hybrid of Homework and Discovery. I'm not really sure I'd say either are quite as accomplished though.

Justice's remix of Never Be Alone is also really great, and Digitalism's remix of Daft Punk's Technologic is another favourite.

bongi on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My tastes are "dumb faggot". Seriously I know nothing about techno or music in general but like trying stuff out; I can't really classify my likes other than "sounds good". Besides not liking country, because seriously fuck country.

As for techno I have that I like, um, Airbase - Spin and Alphazone - Flashback are pretty good. But again I'm pretty much the worst person you could ask for recommendations.

you're not listening to the right country, but that's okay.

most don't.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Daft punk shows look amazing and tons of fun to be at. It's like, going to one of their shows is one of the things I have to do before I die.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

most don't.

"Oh we got both kinds..." etc. etc.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

most don't.

"Oh we got both kinds..." etc. etc.

solution: turn off the nashville pop top 40 shit, tune to outlaw music

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I recently got my hands on Pendulum's "Hold Your Colour" album and it is cool as hell. I'm not big on the trance techno, but drum and bass makes for some sweet driving music.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh man this One+One mix on Transitions is so god damn sweet.

Go to http://www.whatson.com/kiss100/ and select John Digweed as the DJ. I haven't been able to actually make it play myself, but I assume this will give you the latest episode of Transitions. Digweed is always great, but James and Nic come on approximately one hour in.

Also, please don't ban me! This is a rebroadcast from the same radio station that put out the show in the first place, so authorized and legal and everything.

Enjoy!

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Or you could do the easy thing and go to

www.johndigweed.com

and click on transitions shows in the bottom right corner

this plays the latest show of Transitions that has been recorded.

God damnit I love diggers.

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Has anyone else heard Le Tweak by Felix Da Housecat?

Man, I cannot get enough of it. If you wanna hear it and don't mind a tiny bit of hassle it's one of the tracks on Crobar's website; just go to http://www.crobar.com/ , select Chicago, and then scroll through the music player till you find it. I am such a sucker for pounding bass.

Also, Benni Benassi's Who's Your Daddy and Satisfaction videos are great songs and some pretty good looking women too. Totally NSFW though, and I won't link it directly, but googling his name will take you to his website, and I'm sure the video for Who's Your Daddy is pretty easy to find.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a big fan of psychedelic trance, in particular Shpongle

Oh, man. Shpongle is so awesome. I love ...And the Day Turned to Night, so epic. And pretty much the entirety of Tales of the Inexpressible.

does anyone listen to Underworld? it's not psy, but it's my favorite electronic music. I'm going to see them in NYC this September, so excited. They put on the best shows (yes, better than Daft Punk)

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I actually have some Underworld I haven't listened to in a while, and it was decent. Not one of my favorites, but enjoyable for sure.

I really need to get into more psy-trance...

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hahahahaha I forgot bucket was jailed.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, such is life. Not being able to edit and the timer thing is a bitch, but other than that it's not particularly a problem. I'm not really a serial poster though, so it ain't no thang.

This David Vendetta set I'm listening to right now has some really brilliant stuff in it.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want the Wangan Midnight OST. It's like all trance, and epic.

Also, Yuzo Koshiro(Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey) composed it, so you know it's good.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fabricate wrote: »
    Daft punk shows look amazing and tons of fun to be at. It's like, going to one of their shows is one of the things I have to do before I die.

Yeah, it was great. It was like halfway between a concert and a rave. It was held at a big sports arena, that I think usually does hockey games or something. I was on the floor, standing, and when all the lights went on for certain parts you could just look around and see the entire building moving. The entire floor and every seat in the house filled with people moving, dancing, and cheering.

Honestly, it's probably the closest thing I've ever had to a 'spiritual' experience.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you should do mushrooms then~

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I personally like to keep myself rather drug free.

One of the guys I went to see Daft Punk with was rolling on some E though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You don't need drugs to enjoy electronic music. To each their own, but I think it's pointless.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i badly want to go to a rave and drop some E

i have done neither

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You don't need drugs to enjoy electronic music. To each their own, but I think it's pointless.

have you ever done any drugs? electronic music is often specifically formulated to be really trippy, and is completely divine under the right circumstances

so no, you don't need drugs, but you cannot enjoy music sober in the manner that you can when you're high.

edit: Seize - Don't Let Me (Delobbo chromatic mix)

i love this song~

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I can't get into the rave atmosphere. Probably because I don't do drugs, but also because I'm not a dancer or anything, I just like to listen to the music.

The first and last time I went to one would be Ultra Music Festival from about three years ago, if that counts.

BT, Roni Size, Paul van Dyk, Crystal Method, Prizm & Eclipse, Tiesto, I couldn't not go.

I think P&E were a local group, and I can't find much of anything by them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah, the main thing holding me back from going to a rave is i don't even know how to dance

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drugs probably would have helped enjoying the two bands that opened for Daft Punk, which were Kavinski & Sebastian and Ratatat. They really didn't do it for me.

Daft Punk on the other hand... well, it was already amazingly intense. Dropping some sort of drug that I've never done before and then seeing that would probably melt my brain from the sheer intensity of it all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

have you ever done any drugs? electronic music is often specifically formulated to be really trippy, and is completely divine under the right circumstances

so no, you don't need drugs, but you cannot enjoy music sober in the manner that you can when you're high.

granted, I haven't done E, but I think this is bullshit. I've been moved into higher states of consciousness and euphoria from dancing to EDM that really resemble being high on pot/shrooms. I don't think this is possible for everybody, but it is possible.

cj: I've been to Ultra four times, skipped '07 though. it's gotten really huge and basically unappealing, but the first time I went was one of the best things I ever did. really fucking awesome.

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    yeah, the main thing holding me back from going to a rave is i don't even know how to dance

it doesn't matter if you can't dance man

you'll feel it

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rpeg wrote: »
    I've been to Ultra four times, skipped '07 though. it's gotten really huge and basically unappealing, but the first time I went was one of the best things I ever did. really fucking awesome.

Yeah, that's why I stopped going.

Also, too expensive. And I tend to avoid Miami.

Totally off-topic, but I might be seeing Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish tomorrow at Revolution(Ft. Lauderdale).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png