As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture Rocks. Except for Stupid Po-Mo Bullshit.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    85m16_8.jpg

<3<3<3

I've grown to really hate the Empire State Building. When you see both of them on a day to day basis, you can't help but wish the Chrysler building were taller.

It is, you just have to convince the people who measure those things to not count the Derigible mooring mast which was never used. That would also put the Sears Tower ahead of the Petronas in Kuala Lumpur, but it doesn't really matter now since those got passed up anyway and the Burj Dubai is going to set a new record for a long time to come when it gets finished in a few more years.

moniker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    The ESB is nice and all, but the Chrysler building is really where it's at.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So how exactly did postmodern architecture spring from postmodern philosophy? What is the connection? As a lit student I can see the similarity between a postmodern story and a weird building that looks like it's turning into Optimus Prime, but I can't quite articulate it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I remember when I was a little kid I thought that was the ESB.

I would have to agree that it looks way cooler.

I don't know a lot about this art in architecture stuff (what makes pomo different from modernism? I just never learned it) but I do like cool architecture.

What would you consider this:

DubAymx.JPG

?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    A sailboat?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A sailboat?

Thats about all I can gather from it.

I remember seeing a show on discovery about that hotel. That little circle at the top is actually a tennis court.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Dr_ColossusDr_Colossus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Asahi Building in Tokyo
    .slide_img_5233.jpg

Dr_Colossus on
    sword.gifblack.gifcliff.gifblah3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Apparently that big, golden building is pretty happy about something.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That, or an impossibly huge golden pigeon left a present on top of that perfectly good black building.

Erlking on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sometimes the cutting edge of architecture gets a little too crazy for me, but that's what you have to deal with when you're going into to new territory, you have to be willing to fuck up and put out something that looks like shit if you're ever gonna make something that is both new and interesting.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    okay, a photo of the addition to the Royal Ontario Museum that does it justice:

3_ROM_Crystal_9115_square.jpg

I really like this. I don't fully understand why so many people are disgusted with it.

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    People think it's useless to have that much stuff going on. But here's the thing: if we didn't do things that were "useless" the same way, we would end up with nothing but giant cement blocks for buildings. Things like this make places interesting and worth seeing, and create a lively, energetic culture around them. That's why most people live in the city, rather than evenly apportioned lots that only are close enough to their "work units" or some shit like that.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

I remember when I was a little kid I thought that was the ESB.

I would have to agree that it looks way cooler.

I don't know a lot about this art in architecture stuff (what makes pomo different from modernism? I just never learned it) but I do like cool architecture.

What would you consider this:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/DubAymx.JPG ?[/img]

That's the world's only 7 star Rated Hotel. In DuBai, it is also the worlds tallest and is built on a man made island.

http://www.burj-al-arab.com/

It fucking rocks if you read about it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    People think it's useless to have that much stuff going on. But here's the thing: if we didn't do things that were "useless" the same way, we would end up with nothing but giant cement blocks for buildings. Things like this make places interesting and worth seeing, and create a lively, energetic culture around them. That's why most people live in the city, rather than evenly apportioned lots that only are close enough to their "work units" or some shit like that.

Exactly. Go move to the 'burbs if you want to be surrounded by bland.

also:
    Sagrada Familia:
    16.jpg
    Sagrada%20Familia%20air.jpg

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Seattles most famous eyesore, the Experience Music Project.

phaid55.jpg

5771.jpg

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OK, see that's just retarded.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rpeg wrote: »
    okay, a photo of the addition to the Royal Ontario Museum that does it justice:

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/2007/05/3_ROM_Crystal_9115_square.jpg

I really like this. I don't fully understand why so many people are disgusted with it.

That picture makes me think it is about to take off and destroy the city.

Couscous on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This place:

CRW_4022m.jpg

reminds me of an AT-AT. It's quite out of scale with the area:

edo-tokyo-hakubutsukan.jpg

Also, everything in the Minato Mirai area of Yokohama, Japan:

MinatoMirai.jpg

is fun, particularly this hotel:

029651A.jpg

Is this stuff pomo, or just tasteless?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    A sailboat?

Thats about all I can gather from it.

I remember seeing a show on discovery about that hotel. That little circle at the top is actually a tennis court.
    I've been there. It's in Dubai. And it is swank as hell.

Also:
    I feel that this building, the student center hall building thing at my school, does not fit well with the rest of the old school, copper roof architecture: http://www.epochtimes.com/i6/410122813995.jpg

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Proto wrote: »

Exactly. Go move to the 'burbs if you want to be surrounded by bland.

also:
    Sagrada Familia:

Oh hey, I've been there. Want some more pics?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I figured it just told too many lies.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Out of curiosity, does anyone here work at an architectural firm? As an architect, I mean, not just working in the office. I need an internship for next summer....

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So how exactly did postmodern architecture spring from postmodern philosophy? What is the connection? As a lit student I can see the similarity between a postmodern story and a weird building that looks like it's turning into Optimus Prime, but I can't quite articulate it.

It essentially just rose out of the ideas of questioning authority and such which was the basis of post modern design. Modernist architecture was extremely rigid in what you could or should do and the basis for that was generally to strip things down to brass tacks and exalt in the structure. No ornamentation of any kind (although a lot of buildings broke that rule, it was still very minimalist ornament) and all that jazz. PoMo decided to hell with that rigidity and plainness of big glass boxes and decided to return whole heartedly to ornamentation at a grand scale. Then it kind of found its niche and wrote its own sort of rules to follow for its aesthetic. A lot of it is dragged from the Vegas strip of the time since Venturi's book was so important to the movement.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Out of curiosity, does anyone here work at an architectural firm? As an architect, I mean, not just working in the office. I need an internship for next summer....

Hey, I need an internship for right now, and I was here first.

moniker on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    moniker wrote: »

It essentially just rose out of the ideas of questioning authority and such which was the basis of post modern design. Modernist architecture was extremely rigid in what you could or should do and the basis for that was generally to strip things down to brass tacks and exalt in the structure. No ornamentation of any kind (although a lot of buildings broke that rule, it was still very minimalist ornament) and all that jazz. PoMo decided to hell with that rigidity and plainness of big glass boxes and decided to return whole heartedly to ornamentation at a grand scale. Then it kind of found its niche and wrote its own sort of rules to follow for its aesthetic. A lot of it is dragged from the Vegas strip of the time since Venturi's book was so important to the movement.

So basically, freedom from restrictions that are arbitrary by recognizing that they are in fact arbitrary and have no absolute or objective aesthetic superiority

I can get behind that

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is that an abstract sculpture on your roof, or are you just happy to see me?
    Rpeg wrote:
    I really like this. I don't fully understand why so many people are disgusted with it [The ROM].
    Even though I was talking shit about it yesterday, I do kind of like it. I like it because it is ridiculous. I don't mind seeing something that just completely sticks out like it does. I don't know if I could take too much of it, but a building here or there helps shake things up.

For example, this is the latest development back home:

roomswjellybeanhouses_CC.jpg

It's a museum called The Rooms, modeled after old fishing rooms - buildings out on docks where you would store fishing equipment.

Everyone in my family hates it. It's "too modern" and "out of character". And it's not even all that spectacular. Heaven forbid someone in our town should try and do something different :x

I like The Rooms for the same reason I like the ROM addition - it flies in the face of all of those people who whine and complain about anything different. It needs to be done.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Rooms and the ROM building look pretty cool, but sometimes a building really does clash with its surroundings in a bad way. Have you seen the architectural abortion they're planning to build in St. Petersburg?
    gazprom_sunset_rmjm1206glocg.jpg

St. Petersburg is a pretty flat city, considering it was built on a swamp, and it has a pretty unified, consistent classical European style to it. In a different city, it might look okay (I actually have no particular problems with the design of the tower itself), but in St. Petersburg it's just disgusting and completely out of place.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So you're opposed to change because it makes the overarching theme of everything slightly different? Oh, and classicism is composed of a variety of very different styles there isn't one overarching 'Classical European style.' I bet there were some people that were outraged at the idea of having a Baroque styled building put so close to the clearly Gothic or Romanesque structures nearby it as well.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So you're opposed to change because it makes the overarching theme of everything slightly different? Oh, and classicism is composed of a variety of very different styles there isn't one overarching 'Classical European style.' I bet there were some people that were outraged at the idea of having a Baroque styled building put so close to the clearly Gothic or Romanesque structures nearby it as well.

It doesn't make the overarching theme slightly different, it's a giant glass tower that is like ten times the size of everything else in the city and completely at odds with the city's established aesthetic.

Everything else in St. Petersburg looks like this:
    Hermitage%20Neva.jpg

st%20petersburg.jpg
    StPetersburg.jpg

There's nothing inherently wrong about a contemporary-style building in St. Petersburg either, but I think the main problem is how obnoxiously huge it is.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Those are 3 different styles and probably had some backlash when they were first put up. Particularly the Romanesque in the bottom left. I'll give you the height issue, but museumification is one of the most dangerous issues facing modern cities.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The building on the left side of the bottom picture is the same building as the first picture, The Hermitage. I think the height is my main issue with the Gazprom building, and that it's on the historic part of the skyline. God, put it downtown or something.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    okay, i've been interested in architecture lately, and i've got a few questions:

wasn't there some kind of philosophy that said "yo fuck everybody, the architect has no responsibility to anyone except himself?" and if so, how in the hell could anyone take that line of thinking seriously?

and going in the opposite direction, isn't there a philosophy that says architecture inclusive to the surrounding landscape/area? and if so, what are some examples of it?

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    okay, i've been interested in architecture lately, and i've got a few questions:

wasn't there some kind of philosophy that said "yo fuck everybody, the architect has no responsibility to anyone except himself?" and if so, how in the hell could anyone take that line of thinking seriously?

That's Randianism which only really existed as an architectural design philosophy in that Howard Roark was an architect in one of her crappy books. There are plenty of egocentric assholes out there who are architects, but that's more a reflection on themselves than it is an actual frame of mind.
    and going in the opposite direction, isn't there a philosophy that says architecture inclusive to the surrounding landscape/area? and if so, what are some examples of it?

Critical Regionalism is one of the titles it's given, otherwise you could be thinking of regenerative designs which are essentially just LEED platinum buildings that either make a much smaller impact on or actually improve the micro ecology rather than negatively impact it. McDonough (the author of the book my sig links) has done a bunch of the latter and I can't really think of any named projects that would fall under the former to link. Just GIS it and you may come up with some buildings.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    okay cool. thanks moniker

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd be interested to see what people think of the Vancouver Public Library:

VanPublicLibrary.jpg

More pictures at bottom of the wiki entry

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    It looks like the best library building I've ever seen.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

Glen Murcutt. And Frank Lloyd Wright's waterfall house, although I hate the inside of it. A lot of Japanese traditional stuff is about letting the outside in, as is a lot of Australian stuff - there's some really nice examples of Balinese architecture fused with the old-style Queenslander home around here.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Hey, I need an internship for right now, and I was here first.

It's quite simple, really.

We must fight to the death.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what people think of the Vancouver Public Library . . .
    Needs to have LaVar Burton, book in hand, yelling "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!"
    It's quite simple, really.

We must fight to the death.
    To the library!

But I think Moniker is the actual, you know, architect, here.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

Glen Murcutt. And Frank Lloyd Wright's waterfall house, although I hate the inside of it. A lot of Japanese traditional stuff is about letting the outside in, as is a lot of Australian stuff - there's some really nice examples of Balinese architecture fused with the old-style Queenslander home around here.

yeah, i appreciate frank lloyd wright's stuff because i think i see what he was getting at, but i also think a lot of those houses he built were butt ugly. i hate cubist blocky crap or anything that reminds me of it. i also can't stand brutalism, which doesn't make any sense to me at all, especially given all the different kinds of building materials arcitects have at their disposal.

but i kind of dig the stuff that's supposed to be influenced by nature and the traditional building styles of the area. for instance, i like the idea of going to the southwest and making some kind of new cliff dwelling, or going to africa and incorporating old clay designs into a new modern building, things like that.

Pants Man on