As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i love me some hard core.

have you guys heard of DJ Hellfury?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    man I picked up Amplitude for like $15 a while ago and played it for ten minutes before I put something else in and abandoned it.

I found it to be too hard.

Try a fighting game stick.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tom Cosm gives his music away free. It sounds good on headphones, at least.

http://www.cosm.co.nz/

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Unlocking Slipknot in Amplitude downright terrified me.

All the 'boss songs' in Amplitude are hidden until you reach the final track, and then it unblurs.
    When I saw them appear, I knew I was in for pain. (It took me longer to beat I Am Hated than it did Robot Rockerz and Spaztik combined.)

cj iwakura wrote: »
    Amplitude has BT in it, and so does Frequency. Harmonix love BT.

That's a system seller right there(and I did in fact get a PS2 partially for Frequency).

Not dumping on you in the least, as BT is good, but there are so many other artists out there you should check out; house-it.org has a download forum in which you can find many fine links. Cattaneo and Digweed are great starters, but James Lauer and Richie Hawtin are really good prog DJ's as well.

Yeah, I've been meaning to broaden my techno horizons for a while, but BT was my gateway drug. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    man I picked up Amplitude for like $15 a while ago and played it for ten minutes before I put something else in and abandoned it.

does that really make it easier?

It was hitting the notes on the beat that I was having trouble with. Now, I'm a well trained musician, and a percussionist, and I was having real trouble getting hits. That is not good if you ask me.

#pipe on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

It was hitting the notes on the beat that I was having trouble with. Now, I'm a well trained musician, and a percussionist, and I was having real trouble getting hits. That is not good if you ask me.

I dunno about Amplitude but it makes Frequency much easier.

As a musician, how often do you have to carry rhythm with your thumb? Using your fingers would make it easier, right?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only levels I had trouble with being on beat were the stupid skyway levels where the track curves upward and downward while the notes are coming. And The Rock Show's 190 BPM endless repetition. I just kept practicing repeatedly(I also use the face buttons instead of the triggers, but I don't think that's a popular method).

And I doubt a fighting stick would help.

Now, if you could code a IIDX controller to work with Amplitude, we'd be talking...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I dunno about Amplitude but it makes Frequency much easier.

As a musician, how often do you have to carry rhythm with your thumb? Using your fingers would make it easier, right?

Yeah, I actually think it's harder to play Harmonix games if you are a musician.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ironic, isn't it?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'v been listening to trance, house, and eurodance for a while. Currently I'v been listening to way too much eurodance. DJ Doboy mixes especially.

I'v only been to a couple of live trance DJ sets, and those have only been local DJ's (DJ Stormy is the only one who's name I can think of off the top of my head).

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2007

the actual note matching on freqency is reeeeaaaaallllly sketchy

a lot of hits wind up hitting pretty far from when you hear the actual note

as a musician you want to play using your ears to hear the cues, but that doesn't really work. you have to use visual cues and that sucks hard

amplitude is phenomenal though. everything hits exactly when it's supposed to. the beat matching is sublime. once you're familiar with a song, you can basically play blindfolded.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wow, a member of The Roots actually replied to the youtube video of their performance with BT from the looks of it.

How often does that happen?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Acoustic drums, synths, and vocals: http://www.purevolume.com/headphones

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm pretty sure listening to all this bass on my headphones is going to kill my hearing.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure listening to all this bass on my headphones is going to kill my hearing.

Ha, you wanna hear some fucking bass?

This is the intro track to Zabiela Live @ Dance Turning Disco in Hungary; the remixed version is a lot better, but this may give you an idea.

http://www.myspace.com/alloymental and listen to the track Alloy Mental.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Apparently I can't edit my previous post, but you should also take a good listen to:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=86615511

Juergens - Love It

That track is some hot shit right now.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't know why but for some reason most sound that comes out of Safari is really quiet. I have to double what I set the volume at for iTunes to be "loud" on my headphones (about 40% for iTunes, and about 75% for Safari).

That AlloyMental song is kickin.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't know why but for some reason most sound that comes out of Safari is really quiet. I have to double what I set the volume at for iTunes to be "loud" on my headphones (about 40% for iTunes, and about 75% for Safari).

Yes, it is quite a bitching song; the bassline is super tight. It's better in the mix I've got, but I can't really post that, as I'm already jailed...

You should also listen to Rover (Edit) off of this page:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=60555954

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yes, it is quite a bitching song; the bassline is super tight. It's better in the mix I've got, but I can't really post that, as I'm already jailed...

You should also listen to Rover (Edit) off of this page:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=60555954

Oh fuck yes, James Zabiela is going to be playing Vision in Chicago August 4th! If any other PA Forumers have any interest in going to what is garunteed to be one fucking hell of a electro / house / breakbeat show, let me know!

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    we have control by alloy mental is bitchin' as well

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Global Deejays cover of American Pie makes me smile so much.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    AlesisAlesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Pretty much the only techno I regularly listen to now is Infected Mushroom, especially their first albums.
    The Gathering and Classical Mushroom?

Sweet memories. :^:

Alesis on
    sigbillntedzh0.jpg
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO

BAM BAM BAM BAM DUM DUM DUM DUM BAM

HAVIN IT LARGE, HAVIN IT MAJOR, HAVIN IT FOR THE HARDCORE UK RAVER.

Seriously though, I quite like Techno. I mean, it helped me discover my love for IDM (Industrial Dance Music), So I owe it that much.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    idm is intelligent dance music i think

but i mean both get the message across

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Alesis wrote: »
    Pretty much the only techno I regularly listen to now is Infected Mushroom, especially their first albums.

Classical Mushroom is so damn good.

Jebu on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am pasting this post I made at another forum because I am super-lazy.

So listening to last.fm the last few weeks, I have come to the realization that my musical tastes are broader than I thought, especially in the realm of electronica. Apparently, I'm into what I guess could be called "girly techno." Their recommendation system throws all kinds of Cascada, Ian Van Dahl, Angel City, and others I can't even remember at me and I fuckin' love most of it. :o

Hell, it's got a beat and I can refuse to dance to it. Some personal favorites I've found recently:

Angel City - Love Me Right
    Sylver - Turn the Tide
    Milk, Inc. - Whisper (bonus clown abuse! emot-v.gif)
    Ian Van Dahl - Just a Girl
    Fragma - Everytime You Need Me

I'm not entirely sure why I like this stuff so much
    but the majority of the female vocalists being crazy-hot might have something to do with it emot-awesome.gif

tl;dr version: emotgayic7.gif

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    cascada is terrible

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    cascada is terrible
    I know. D:

redstormpopcorn on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cascada is terrible

So is Ian Van Dahl.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I also find myself liking "girly techno" quite a bit.

Such as Rollergirl

I was driving my friends somewhere the other day and I was listening to DJ Doboy Eurojams Vol. 3. One of my friends said "This is some pretty gay music dude." My reply was just "Yup."

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Jebu wrote: »
    cascada is terrible

So is Ian Van Dahl.

i have never heard of him

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like squarepusher and aphex twin... but aside from electronic I don't really know what genre they'd fall under.

In terms of proper BOMF BOMF BOMF music I like Infected Mushroom and S.U.N project if I've got a decent pair of headphones to listen to it on. I basically bought S.U.N projects cd because it sounded fucking awesome over the gargantuan soundsystem in Cyberdog.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    I have been listening to Digitalism and Justice a lot recently

they sound a lot like daft punk

(justice are the guys that did the remix of we are your friends, it is so awesome)

bongi on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jebu wrote: »
    Alesis wrote: »

Classical Mushroom is so damn good.

Yes, 90% of the time when I play Geometry Wars on my 360 I replace the game's only song by the Classical Mushroom album, it just fits so perfectly.

Oh and Infected Mushroom released a new album in April, "Vicious Delicious" I listened a bit to a few tracks when visiting a friend working in a music store this weekend, seemed pretty interesting from what I heard. Might have to pick it up.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Waaahhh 599 USD

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    this is not the iPhone thread.

redstormpopcorn on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is not my beautiful house

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    this is not the iPhone thread.

You should get one. They're amazing.

Like you have this web browser that can do anything a PC's browser can.

Shit you can watch fucking Heroes on your God dammed iPhone, how cool is that?

The glass is extremely scratch resistant with multi point touch screen so you can touch it in two places and it will know.

You can pop in some music, e-mail people, call up one of your tarts.

It's also less bulky then most PDAs

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    VulnoX wrote: »
    Borfase wrote: »
    see i still don't care about all this edge stuff because i'd just use wifi on it all the time

but i guess it'd be nice to have 3g or whatever

At my work and that we don't have a very good Wifi connection.

See, part of the iPhone's thing is that its great for stuff like e-mail, well, if you get an e-mail with an attachment, then you are looking at a long download, and if the voice is not usable during that download as was pointed out, then you could be missing calls waiting for an e-mail to finish.

If I was at home or school where I do have Wifi, well then I just use my laptop so I would not need the iPhone anyway.

I guess the iPhone may work for some people, but I am just not seeing who that is yet. I guess I should reserve judgement until its actually been out for awhile.

This depends on how email works on it, which I admit not to knowing much about it.

One of the reasons I got the blackjack is that i could use it with my exchange server at home and use push email. It works jsut like a blackberry, and works great over edge. I receive message headers as they arrive, along with the first however many bytes of a message. If I want to download the attachment I can (usually switching to 3G first), but it doesn't do it automatically.

Meiz on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, the old topic switch. I guess we're too roudy in here.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace