Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The New Seven Wonders of the World

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
There is an article on the BBC website today that makes mention of an attempt to create a new list of what are considered the 7 Wonders of the World.

It seems to be a global survey, and I thought it would make for a pretty interesting discussion. I personally lean towards the older structures - I think this is mainly because (to my mind) the technology available at the time is a major factor in the decision. Are there any you think they are missing? Are there any that you dont think deserve to be on the list at all? *cough*Sydney Opera House*cough* (Dont get me wrong, its nice enough... but a "wonder"?)

How many have you seen personally? I've seen four.

So. The Obligatory Info:

[size=+2]New 7 Wonders Website[/size]
(where you can vote)
http://www.new7wonders.com/

[size=+2]The Contenders[/size]

The Acropolis

230px-Ac.acropolis3.JPG


Hagia Sophia

300px-Aya_sofya.jpg


St Basil's Cathedral

250px-St_Basils_Cathedral-500px.jpg


The Colosseum

400px-Colosseum_in_Rome%2C_Italy_-_April_2007.jpg


Neuschwanstein Castle

300px-Castle_Neuschwanstein.jpg


The Eiffal Tower

150px-Paris_06_Eiffelturm_4828.jpg


Stonehenge

300px-Stonehenge_back_wide.jpg



Alhambra

300px-Patio_de_los_Arrayanes.jpg



The Great Wall of China

250px-GreatWall_2004_Summer_4.jpg



Kiyomizu Temple

180px-Kyoto-Kiyomizu_Temple-2.JPG



The Sydney Opera House

250px-Sydney_Opera_House_Sails.jpg



Angkor

300px-Bayonfacesl.jpg



The Taj Mahal

300px-Taj1.jpg



Timbuktu

200px-Djingareiber_cour.jpg



Petra

200px-PetraTreasury.JPG



The Pyramids of Giza

300px-All_Gizah_Pyramids.jpg



The Statue of Christ the Redeemer

180px-Brasil.RioDeJaneiro.Corcovado.jpg



The Easter Island Statues

180px-Moai_Rano_raraku.jpg



Macchu Picchu

300px-Peru_Machu_Picchu_Sunset.jpg



Chichen Itza

Image:Chichen-Itza_El_Castillo.jpg



The Statue of Liberty

288px-Statueofliberty.JPG

What Would Your Seven Be?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fallingman on
«134

Posts

  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Aren't half of them in the old seven?

    Add in that ridiculous huge bridge in Germany. And the Chunnel. And, like, half of Dubai.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I voted for: Acropolis, Angkor, Easter Island Statues, Great Wall, Hagia Sophia, Petra, Taj Mahal

    I didn't want to pick any modern buildings, because I don't consider them wonders. They are awesome, but no one is wondering "boy, how did they ever do that?" I picked a few structures that are really special and it surprises me they were able to make these buildings back in the days.

    Cat, of the old original wonders only the pyramid of Giza still exists. There have been other lists, but nothing official and not as democratic as this list. A few historians with too much time on their hands should not decide on this sort of things.

    wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah, ok.

    Man, I don't like that 'how the hell did they do that' sentiment. People in the past weren't retards. I mean, I understand that what they did was technically difficult, but so were the things I mentioned, and if we have a nuclear war and the backslidden survivors come across our shit, they're going to be terribly impressed. Well, except at our tendency to use so much glass :P

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Quite pathetic of me - only seen two; the Acropolis and the Colosseum.

    I'm having a hard time deciding what I would vote for, however. All I know is that I don't think Stonehenge deserves to be on the list. The rest of them look amazing, and I'd love to see more of them.

    Janson on
    sig.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Ah, ok.

    Man, I don't like that 'how the hell did they do that' sentiment. People in the past weren't retards. I mean, I understand that what they did was technically difficult, but so were the things I mentioned, and if we have a nuclear war and the backslidden survivors come across our shit, they're going to be terribly impressed. Well, except at our tendency to use so much glass :P
    I dunno...they didn't have calculators back then! :shock:

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah, but they did have endless supplies of cheap labour. That's lots of fingers to count on!

    Out of what's there, I'd vote for Alhambra and Gigantor-Jeebus I think. There's something incongruous about the "2,200 years later..." in the lame flash intro and then the voting for 2000+ year old buildings.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dude, Aldo... Do you know how well you can calculate with an Abacus?

    Haphazard on
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think the main allure of all these contenders are their historical importance, their name value. If we're going to make a new list it should be the pinnacle of human ability. How bout the space station, Sears tower, stuff like that.

    hesthefastest on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Ah, but they did have endless supplies of cheap labour. That's lots of fingers to count on!

    Out of what's there, I'd vote for Alhambra and Gigantor-Jeebus I think. There's something incongruous about the "2,200 years later..." in the lame flash intro and then the voting for 2000+ year old buildings.
    Myup, it's personal preference.

    If it was a list of the seven most awesome technological masterworks on the surface of this planet, I probably wouldn't have voted for old buildings. But the list is about wonders and I simply don't consider a space station or a skyscraper a wonder.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Vote for Macchu Pichu. Constructed high in the Andes with little (or no?) metal tools, and the gigantic irregularly-shaped blocks fit together so perfectly and tightly that you can't fit a piece of paper between them.

    Although, I'm opposed to the very concept for two reasons:

    A. Why just seven? Why do we have to limit the number?

    B. I read a Yahoo! News article (I'll try to dig it up) where it was revealed that this whole contest thing is basically a marketing campaign for one company, I believe based in Sweden.

    EDIT: according to the Wikipedia article on the project it's promoted by a Swiss (not Swedish) company that's for-profit and has paid voting.

    These sites don't need a stupid list to be wondrous, they're kickass on their own, and ranking them will only diminish the public's perception of some perfectly deserving works of human ingenuity.

    Zalbinion on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    Vote for Macchu Pichu. Constructed high in the Andes with little (or no?) metal tools, and the gigantic irregularly-shaped blocks fit together so perfectly and tightly that you can't fit a piece of paper between them.

    Although, I'm opposed to the very concept for two reasons:

    A. Why just seven? Why do we have to limit the number?

    B. I read a Yahoo! News article (I'll try to dig it up) where it was revealed that this whole contest thing is basically a marketing campaign for one company, I believe based in Sweden.

    These sites don't need a stupid list to be wondrous, they're kickass on their own, and ranking them will only diminish the public's perception of some perfectly deserving works of human ingenuity.
    Seriously, the site is full of shit. It's pretty obviously a commercial thing. I'm just bored and easily amused, so I voted. :P

    And I don't think we're ranking them as much as we're picking a few we consider world wonders and put them on the spotlight some more. If anything: it draws some attention to landmarks that would go unnoticed otherwise.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    And I don't think we're ranking them as much as we're picking a few we consider world wonders and put them on the spotlight some more. If anything: it draws some attention to landmarks that would go unnoticed otherwise.

    Perhaps, if most of the people voting are actually checking out the descriptions and voting for the non-famous sites, then yes.

    Unfortunately I doubt that will happen, and we'll end up with the Pyramids, Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Acropolis, Colosseum, Stonehenge, and the Sydney Opera House***.

    ***No offense to Australia! The opera house is fantastic, I'm just pointing out that it's already famous.

    Zalbinion on
  • NexusSixNexusSix Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Dude, Aldo... Do you know how well you can calculate with an Abacus?

    Not to mention batteries and computers, yo. Hero's Spiritalia seu Pneumatica was pretty rad as well.

    One of these days somebody is going to dig up an ancient Sumerian iPhone.

    I'm going with Macchu Picchu as well.

    NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    Perhaps, if most of the people voting are actually checking out the descriptions and voting for the non-famous sites, then yes.

    Unfortunately I doubt that will happen, and we'll end up with the Pyramids, Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Acropolis, Colosseum, Stonehenge, and the Sydney Opera House***.

    ***No offense to Australia! The opera house is fantastic, I'm just pointing out that it's already famous.
    I'm sad I can't vote for other structures. Yesterday I saw a documentary about a church somewhere in Africa carved in the rock ground. The thing was huge.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Aren't half of them in the old seven?

    Add in that ridiculous huge bridge in Germany. And the Chunnel. And, like, half of Dubai.

    Those huge freaking islands they're building? Yeah.

    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    Perhaps, if most of the people voting are actually checking out the descriptions and voting for the non-famous sites, then yes.

    Unfortunately I doubt that will happen, and we'll end up with the Pyramids, Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Acropolis, Colosseum, Stonehenge, and the Sydney Opera House***.

    ***No offense to Australia! The opera house is fantastic, I'm just pointing out that it's already famous.
    I'm sad I can't vote for other structures. Yesterday I saw a documentary about a church somewhere in Africa carved in the rock ground. The thing was huge.

    Would that have been in Northern Ethiopia? Apparently they are supposed to be crazy cool. (Legend of the Art of the covenant and shit)

    I cant seem to find much on them thats particularly official, but there are supposed to be some underwater formations off the coast of Japan that people think could be a man-made pyramid... If thats the case, the dating on them is said to throw into doubt a big chunk of assumed human history. Anyone know about these?

    Linky.

    Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »
    ***No offense to Australia! The opera house is fantastic, I'm just pointing out that it's already famous.

    Its pretty, but its not actually a very good opera house, in the functional sense. Small and cramped, apparently. I think if something is going to be a wonder, it has to actually work well.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Aren't half of them in the old seven?

    Ermmmm....no. Out of the original 7, the only one which still exists is the Pyramids. For that matter, there's some dispute over whether some of them ever existed (such as the Hanging Garden).

    Thankfully, they've decided to make the Pyramids an Honorary Candidate (whateverthehell that means), so I |guess that puts it on the final list. The world would suck if they didn't get on the list. They're the freaking pyramids, after all.

    I do wonder if this will be televised; the presentation will be in Lisbon, and I can't get to Portugal just now. So I'm hoping that there will be an international broadcast.

    The whole deal is a rather pointless process, sure, but it's also sort of cool. I mean, the original list was complied by a nobody called Antipader, and didn't mean much anyway.

    That said, I think I'll go for: Taj Mahal, Acropolis, Chichen Itza, Easter Island, the Statue of Liberty, Stonehenge, and Ankgor Wat. I'd drop the Statue for the Pyramids.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Would that have been in Northern Ethiopia? Apparently they are supposed to be crazy cool. (Legend of the Art of the covenant and shit)

    I cant seem to find much on them thats particularly official, but there are supposed to be some underwater formations off the coast of Japan that people think could be a man-made pyramid... If thats the case, the dating on them is said to throw into doubt a big chunk of assumed human history. Anyone know about these?

    Linky.
    Yes, yes it is. And yes you are right, it is the site Indy visited looking for the 10 commandments.

    Add in some more yes yes yes, by the way. Because YES there are far more awesome things in this world than the fucking statue of Liberty.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I actually know the woman who discovered Petra!

    So obviously Petra deserves to be on it.

    Seriously though, it's an amazing place, even though I've only seen photos. A bunch of buildings carved into soft stone, a meter-wide entrance way that opens into a city... it's really really awesome.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I can't believe how seriously this thing is being taken by some cities and countries. People are already complaining that it's rigged. There's going to be a whole lot of bitching when the results finally get in.

    I'm gonna pick Taj Mahal, Christ the Redeemer, Liberty, St. Basil's, Angkor Wat, Machu Pichu and the Great Wall. But that list is a copout.

    Low Key on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why limit this shit at seven?

    Just call it "The great wonders of the world".

    Then make a list.

    Why do we over complicate the simplest shit?

    Meiz on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dont get why the Taj isnt doing well. That BBC article says its because India isnt voting... But surely that wouldn't be what its about? I mean I wouldn't have thought that just because you were from The US or Aussie, you'd vote for the Opera House or the Statue of Liberty...

    Hmmm.

    Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I dont get why the Taj isnt doing well. That BBC article says its because India isnt voting... But surely that wouldn't be what its about? I mean I wouldn't have thought that just because you were from The US or Aussie, you'd vote for the Opera House or the Statue of Liberty...

    Hmmm.
    India is kind of infamous for being nationalistic, you know...

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Stonehenge is rubbish. It's just a pile of rocks which have fallen over at various times; one's in cement now. The only interesting part is that the stones come from Wales, but if you have enough time and slaves then it's not rocket science. I still don't understand why no-one conceived of the calendar earlier. You don't need huge rocks to tell you when midsummer is..

    Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • MuttnikMuttnik Registered User
    edited June 2007
    No registan?

    Oh central asia, how no one cares about you.

    And how in the fuck is the Red Fortress considered to be about 'Dialogue' and 'Dignity'. It was moorish power projection, it is about dialogue and dignity as much as say, Masada.

    Muttnik on
    Sentry wrote: »
    Wow... I think the ignorance of American's is vastly underestimated.
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. It's fun to feel like you're better than other people.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Stonehenge is rubbish. It's just a pile of rocks which have fallen over at various times; one's in cement now. The only interesting part is that the stones come from Wales, but if you have enough time and slaves then it's not rocket science. I still don't understand why no-one conceived of the calendar earlier. You don't need huge rocks to tell you when midsummer is..

    You can pretty much do anything with enough time and slaves.

    Couscous on
  • MuttnikMuttnik Registered User
    edited June 2007
    And as far as stonehenge goes, yea getting those stones might have been a pain in the ass but not exactly a great technical feat.

    Get a lot of logs and you are the winner after 10,000 man hours of labor.

    And apparently, moving that shit around once it is there is not so hard.

    Seriously, there is no reason to put that on the list.

    Muttnik on
    Sentry wrote: »
    Wow... I think the ignorance of American's is vastly underestimated.
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. It's fun to feel like you're better than other people.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Muttnik wrote: »
    And as far as stonehenge goes, yea getting those stones might have been a pain in the ass but not exactly a great technical feat.

    Get a lot of logs and you are the winner after 10,000 man hours of labor.

    And apparently, moving that shit around once it is there is not so hard.

    Seriously, there is no reason to put that on the list.
    That's a nice vid. Really nice.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • MuttnikMuttnik Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Also, the Rawze-e-Sharif kicks the shit out of the Acropolis any day of the week.

    It is too bad those Afghanis don't exactly have Razorphones and Blackberries.

    Also, Al Azhar University. Continuously operated since 970 CE, muthafuckas.

    Muttnik on
    Sentry wrote: »
    Wow... I think the ignorance of American's is vastly underestimated.
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. It's fun to feel like you're better than other people.
  • ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Or why locations? How about things like:
    Great White Sharks
    Redwood Trees
    The Moon

    ryuprecht on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Because those are natural accidents and happenstances, as compared to deliberate exertions of human will and determination. The former is pretty, but I find the latter more impressive. I mean, Angel Falls is the world's longest waterfall. Yeah, and? One of them had to be, right?

    As to Stonehenge, if we're going to nix it for just being a matter of hefting big rocks into place, doesn't that disqualify the pyramids, as well?

    Oh, and if anyone doesn't think that a third of the US is going to be voting for the Statue of Liberty because OMG FREEDOM, he's fucking crazy.

    Me, I'd vote for Stonehenge, the Great Wall, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, the Pyramids, and that Neuchawangistan Castle, or whatever it's called.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Because those are natural accidents and happenstances, as compared to deliberate exertions of human will and determination. The former is pretty, but I find the latter more impressive. I mean, Angel Falls is the world's longest waterfall. Yeah, and? One of them had to be, right?

    As to Stonehenge, if we're going to nix it for just being a matter of hefting big rocks into place, doesn't that disqualify the pyramids, as well?

    Oh, and if anyone doesn't think that a third of the US is going to be voting for the Statue of Liberty because OMG FREEDOM, he's fucking crazy.

    Me, I'd vote for Stonehenge, the Great Wall, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, the Pyramids, and that Neuchawangistan Castle, or whatever it's called.

    I still don't get it. Yeah, they are natural and all, but does that diminish the wonder upon seeing them? The Grand Canyon? Lake Titicaca? I dunno. Human beings are nice and all, but the Stonehenge and all are outdone easily by newer human endeavors nearly every day.

    A formation of coral that took a half-million years? I think that's a bigger wonder.

    Maybe if the list included individual works of wonder. The colusseum rocks and all, but I'm more impressed with the painting of the Sistine Chapel. Stonehenge < Piano Concerto No 21 in C by Mozart.

    ryuprecht on
  • MuttnikMuttnik Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I am not 'hatin' on stonehenge because it was just huge rocks, it is because it is ugly, not terribly interesting in design and purpose and relatively easy to make.

    Pyramids have about 20x the amount of stones, and they were near perfectly created geometrically. They would be much more impressive if Muhammad Ali hadn't taken the goddamn smooth corner stones off to make his goddamn mosque.

    Muttnik on
    Sentry wrote: »
    Wow... I think the ignorance of American's is vastly underestimated.
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. It's fun to feel like you're better than other people.
  • MuttnikMuttnik Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful mosque and all.

    Muttnik on
    Sentry wrote: »
    Wow... I think the ignorance of American's is vastly underestimated.
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. It's fun to feel like you're better than other people.
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Because those are natural accidents and happenstances, as compared to deliberate exertions of human will and determination. The former is pretty, but I find the latter more impressive. I mean, Angel Falls is the world's longest waterfall. Yeah, and? One of them had to be, right?

    As to Stonehenge, if we're going to nix it for just being a matter of hefting big rocks into place, doesn't that disqualify the pyramids, as well?

    Oh, and if anyone doesn't think that a third of the US is going to be voting for the Statue of Liberty because OMG FREEDOM, he's fucking crazy.

    Me, I'd vote for Stonehenge, the Great Wall, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, the Pyramids, and that Neuchawangistan Castle, or whatever it's called.

    I still don't get it. Yeah, they are natural and all, but does that diminish the wonder upon seeing them? The Grand Canyon? Lake Titicaca? I dunno. Human beings are nice and all, but the Stonehenge and all are outdone easily by newer human endeavors nearly every day.

    A formation of coral that took a half-million years? I think that's a bigger wonder.

    Maybe if the list included individual works of wonder. The colusseum rocks and all, but I'm more impressed with the painting of the Sistine Chapel. Stonehenge < Piano Concerto No 21 in C by Mozart.

    Its just the rules of the game... I know they use the generic term "wonders" but the whole point is that they are man made. Its kind of the rules.

    Its like a sprinter being called "the fastest man alive" then someone at the back of the room saying, I reckon I can go faster in my car!

    Sure, its valid... but its just not the point of the exercise.

    Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Because those are natural accidents and happenstances, as compared to deliberate exertions of human will and determination. The former is pretty, but I find the latter more impressive. I mean, Angel Falls is the world's longest waterfall. Yeah, and? One of them had to be, right?

    As to Stonehenge, if we're going to nix it for just being a matter of hefting big rocks into place, doesn't that disqualify the pyramids, as well?

    Oh, and if anyone doesn't think that a third of the US is going to be voting for the Statue of Liberty because OMG FREEDOM, he's fucking crazy.

    Me, I'd vote for Stonehenge, the Great Wall, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, the Pyramids, and that Neuchawangistan Castle, or whatever it's called.

    I still don't get it. Yeah, they are natural and all, but does that diminish the wonder upon seeing them? The Grand Canyon? Lake Titicaca? I dunno. Human beings are nice and all, but the Stonehenge and all are outdone easily by newer human endeavors nearly every day.

    A formation of coral that took a half-million years? I think that's a bigger wonder.

    Maybe if the list included individual works of wonder. The colusseum rocks and all, but I'm more impressed with the painting of the Sistine Chapel. Stonehenge < Piano Concerto No 21 in C by Mozart.

    Its just the rules of the game... I know they use the generic term "wonders" but the whole point is that they are man made. Its kind of the rules.

    Its like a sprinter being called "the fastest man alive" then someone at the back of the room saying, I reckon I can go faster in my car!

    Sure, its valid... but its just not the point of the exercise.

    Ok. It's just an arbitrary distinction. Gotcha.

    Thanks.

    ryuprecht on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Because those are natural accidents and happenstances, as compared to deliberate exertions of human will and determination. The former is pretty, but I find the latter more impressive. I mean, Angel Falls is the world's longest waterfall. Yeah, and? One of them had to be, right?

    As to Stonehenge, if we're going to nix it for just being a matter of hefting big rocks into place, doesn't that disqualify the pyramids, as well?

    Oh, and if anyone doesn't think that a third of the US is going to be voting for the Statue of Liberty because OMG FREEDOM, he's fucking crazy.

    Me, I'd vote for Stonehenge, the Great Wall, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, the Pyramids, and that Neuchawangistan Castle, or whatever it's called.

    Neuschwanstein isn't all that impressive, actually. It's just a really big mansion for a king that wanted a less seige-proof castle than his father had. It's a beautiful building but hardly a wonderous achievment.

    Most of these things are either ancient and shouldn't really be put on a modern list, imo, or they just plain suck. Where are the modern engineering marvels that we've built? The Chunnel, the Burj Dubai (even though it's not finished yet), fricken Apollo landers and one of the space stations? Eiffel isn't that impressive a feat unless you count getting the French to actually like it. I'll give you the Statue of Liberty since it's a parallel to the ancient colossus, but still.

    moniker on
  • ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Who decided they had to be man-made wonders? I think the biggest things are the natural ones.

    Angel Falls
    Great Barrier Reef

    Because those are natural accidents and happenstances, as compared to deliberate exertions of human will and determination. The former is pretty, but I find the latter more impressive. I mean, Angel Falls is the world's longest waterfall. Yeah, and? One of them had to be, right?

    As to Stonehenge, if we're going to nix it for just being a matter of hefting big rocks into place, doesn't that disqualify the pyramids, as well?

    Oh, and if anyone doesn't think that a third of the US is going to be voting for the Statue of Liberty because OMG FREEDOM, he's fucking crazy.

    Me, I'd vote for Stonehenge, the Great Wall, the Colosseum, the Taj Mahal, Macchu Picchu, the Pyramids, and that Neuchawangistan Castle, or whatever it's called.

    I still don't get it. Yeah, they are natural and all, but does that diminish the wonder upon seeing them? The Grand Canyon? Lake Titicaca? I dunno. Human beings are nice and all, but the Stonehenge and all are outdone easily by newer human endeavors nearly every day.

    A formation of coral that took a half-million years? I think that's a bigger wonder.

    Maybe if the list included individual works of wonder. The colusseum rocks and all, but I'm more impressed with the painting of the Sistine Chapel. Stonehenge < Piano Concerto No 21 in C by Mozart.

    Its just the rules of the game... I know they use the generic term "wonders" but the whole point is that they are man made. Its kind of the rules.

    Its like a sprinter being called "the fastest man alive" then someone at the back of the room saying, I reckon I can go faster in my car!

    Sure, its valid... but its just not the point of the exercise.

    Under those restrictions, why not art? Music? Science/technology?

    ryuprecht on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Muttnik wrote: »
    I am not 'hatin' on stonehenge because it was just huge rocks, it is because it is ugly, not terribly interesting in design and purpose and relatively easy to make.

    Pyramids have about 20x the amount of stones, and they were near perfectly created geometrically. They would be much more impressive if Muhammad Ali hadn't taken the goddamn smooth corner stones off to make his goddamn mosque.

    Yes.

    The pyramids/temples of Ancient Greece were created with such precision that one corner of one may only differ in height from an opposite corner by 0.5 cm.

    Janson on
    sig.jpg
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.