As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The old GTAIV thread that should be locked

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So have they announced how big the entire map is going to be? I am hoping it is going to be at least 15 square miles.

They have and no. It is smaller than San Andreas.
    Smaller than the entirety of San Andreas. Including the vast, barren, often boring expanses of San Andreas.

I had a lot of fun dirtbiking around out there though. I'm a little sad there isn't some huge expanse of land for me to just romp around.

Oh well, the city will suit my needs just fine.
    The problem was, if you lost your vehicle, you had to hoof it for twenty minutes or carjack a slow clunker to putt-putt-putt all the way back to the nearest town.

SithDrummer on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So have they announced how big the entire map is going to be? I am hoping it is going to be at least 15 square miles.

They have and no. It is smaller than San Andreas.
    Smaller than the entirety of San Andreas. Including the vast, barren, often boring expanses of San Andreas.

I had a lot of fun dirtbiking around out there though. I'm a little sad there isn't some huge expanse of land for me to just romp around.

Oh well, the city will suit my needs just fine.
    The problem was, if you lost your vehicle, you had to hoof it for twenty minutes or carjack a slow clunker to putt-putt-putt all the way back to the nearest town.

Not if you we in a Rancher. The police Ranchers were the fucking best. I spent so much time bothering the hick town police force.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was pretty sure it was way bigger than one and a half times GTA3's liberty city.

LaCabra on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    There was a map posted a while back. From what I can tell, educated guess, it's about one and a half times the size of GTA3's Liberty City. So yeah, by far not even close to San Andreas, but definitely large 'enough'.

Oh, and there won't be a huge expanse of land anywhere, no, but there are several parks, and I believe one is a forest of decent size, so there'll be a little of that.

I think that the new Liberty City is much bigger than the 3 cities of San Andreas squished together, but there are no crazy outlying areas. And as we've seen, the map is packed from one end to the other.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
    edited April 2008
    unlike, say, vice city

the one time i played vice city stories i got stuck behind phil's junkyard on some stretch of empty concrete by the ocean that they forgot to put anything on

that sucked

LaCabra on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I was pretty sure it was way bigger than one and a half times GTA3's liberty city.
    davidbarry wrote: »
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    There was a map posted a while back. From what I can tell, educated guess, it's about one and a half times the size of GTA3's Liberty City. So yeah, by far not even close to San Andreas, but definitely large 'enough'.

Oh, and there won't be a huge expanse of land anywhere, no, but there are several parks, and I believe one is a forest of decent size, so there'll be a little of that.

I think that the new Liberty City is much bigger than the 3 cities of San Andreas squished together, but there are no crazy outlying areas. And as we've seen, the map is packed from one end to the other.

Found it.

http://kotaku.com/372415/gta-iv-street-map-leaked

Lesse:
    2000313156950572519_rs.jpg
    thumb1280x1280_2364328388_4709a37da6_o.jpg

And ah... comparison:
    mdean76_gta3map_20060102.jpg

wow, yep.

I am pleasantly surprised, and readily admit to being wrong on this one. Check out the Francis International Airport, as a good size reference object. Looks like Bohan + Broker + Dukes ALONE is the size of GTA3.

I don't think it's as big as you two were thinking, definitely not even close to San Andreas, but it's also definitely a lot more than 1.5 times the size of GTA3.... I'm going to go with 3, maybe 4 times the size, now. Pretty big.

Recoil42 on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Next-gen processing power has not been used to give the game a bigger scale (the metropolis of Liberty City is roughly three quarters of the size of San Andreas) but rather to craft a denser, far more immersive and believable environment.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds right to me? Like I said, not close to San Andreas, I would say San Andreas is 5-6 times the size of GTA3, so it fits right into my estimate.

Recoil42 on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So does the ps3 version have dlc?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    edited April 2008
    The date of my suicide due to not being able to play this game draws every closer.

LaCabra on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MarioG wrote: »
    So does the ps3 version have dlc?

there have been some rumours. since microsoft paid megabucks for exclusive dlc though, it's doubtful it'll be substantial paid stuff, maybe a few gimmicks.

home integration is likely, however

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I did a quick search of the thread (so forgive me if I'm asking known info)...

Does anyone have any info on the soundtrack?

Yall on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I saw a note that it would contain Hollaback Girl.

I almost cried.

I hate that song with the passion of a thousand cold, dead suns.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Basil wrote: »

I almost cried.

'Cause they ain't no holla back grrrrrrl.

I wonder what the world would be like if Gwen Stefani still played in a ska band.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

I almost cried.

'Cause they ain't no holla back grrrrrrl.

I wonder what the world would be like if Gwen Stefani still played in a ska band.

Happy peaceful and productive. A better place.

ben0207 on
    edited April 2008
    LaCabra on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

I almost cried.

Surely the appearance of Hollaback Girl will be offset by the inclusion of Queen's "One Vision"? Indeed, I put forth that the appearance of Hollaback Girl was necessitated by the greatness of Queen, a natural balancing of the scales even.

I like Queen.

In Other News: Some random website posted a review of early-code GTA4 that was up for all of an hour or so before "This page has been removed due to legal issues". Some possible BS in the spoiler.
    10gb install on the PS3. Which sounds excessive. Not sandwichable time, though, it said that the install process was kind of a pre-intro intro. Optional 10gb install on the 360 also and without the install, there were some framerate issues. Also a more dense population of people and cars on the PS3. And it was claimed that the cops still spawn in somewhat abruptly.

Any takers?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey I liked her album

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    David_T wrote: »

I almost cried.

Surely the appearance of Hollaback Girl will be offset by the inclusion of Queen's "One Vision"? Indeed, I put forth that the appearance of Hollaback Girl was necessitated by the greatness of Queen, a natural balancing of the scales even.

I like Queen.

In Other News: Some random website posted a review of early-code GTA4 that was up for all of an hour or so before "This page has been removed due to legal issues". Some possible BS in the spoiler.
    10gb install on the PS3. Which sounds excessive. Not sandwichable time, though, it said that the install process was kind of a pre-intro intro. Optional 10gb install on the 360 also and without the install, there were some framerate issues. Also a more dense population of people and cars on the PS3. And it was claimed that the cops still spawn in somewhat abruptly.

Any takers?

I don't buy it, but if it turns out to be true, I'll need a bigger HD for my 360.

EDIT:

God no!!!!!!!!!

www.gta4.net/music

arm and arm -the boggs
    because of you- neyo
    bump and grind- r kelly
    burn it all down- vhs or beta
    cocaine-humble pie
    downtown singer-MOP
    get up stand up-bob marley
    hollaback girl-gwen
    how about some hardcore-MOP
    Kingring-seryoga
    one vision-queen
    oxygene IV-jean michael jarre
    restless-unkle
    Sh*t is real-fat joe
    the go team-junior kickstart
    they say vision-res
    ven bailialo-angel y khris
    wake up and live-bob marley
    you-raheim devaughn

I really hope this 360 custom soundtrack thing is legit, cause that list is mostly awful.

Yall on
    edited April 2008
    They should use a sountrack of what a Russian immigrant would listen to. It would be all Metallica and Polka and the occasional Euro-trash club stuff. I'd totally get down to that.

Malkor on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Seriously? Hollaback girl? That wasn't even good in the real world.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2008
    i have absolutely no doubt that however much cheesy pop is in gta iv it will be easily countered with a hell of a lot of awesome music

the music in gta games have been one of the things that set them apart and i don't imagine for a second rockstar don't know that

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited April 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i have absolutely no doubt that however much cheesy pop is in gta iv it will be easily countered with a hell of a lot of awesome music

the music in gta games have been one of the things that set them apart and i don't imagine for a second rockstar don't know that

Your main problem should be that they're paying Gwen Stefani for her music.

DarkWarrior on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sure there'll be 900 songs in there, so I wouldn't worry too much about the majority of that list being crap.

Oxygene :^: :^: :^:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I dunno if it's all bad. It'll be the perfect song for wasting hookers.

Nightslyr on
    edited April 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »

Your main problem should be that they're paying Gwen Stefani for her music.

as far as i'm concerned gwen stefani is still pretty cool. no doubt earned her license to do whatever the hell she wants

and these days she's much hotter anyway

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    They should use a sountrack of what a Russian immigrant would listen to. It would be all Metallica and Polka and the occasional Euro-trash club stuff. I'd totally get down to that.

You mean like....Vladivostok FM?

wonderpug on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be 900 songs in there, so I wouldn't worry too much about the majority of that list being crap.

Oxygene :^: :^: :^:

Hi5

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I hope that the soundtrack includes Primus, American Life. It fits.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

I almost cried.

I like Queen.

Any takers?

10 gigs maybe on early reviewable builds but on the retail nope. But I'll bite on an install for 360 is MS is going to ever let it happen its going to be GTA4 still i dont think 10 gigs, 5 tops.

Also dont know if its been posted the Europe is getting a PS3 GTA4 bundle

KvPTIGBqL.jpg

This will be a pain in MS's ass believe that.

bloodyroarxx on
    edited April 2008
    If that is available Stateside my decision has been made for me.

Malkor on
    edited April 2008

I almost cried.

I like Queen.

Any takers?

10 gigs maybe on early reviewable builds but on the retail nope. But I'll bite on an install for 360 is MS is going to ever let it happen its going to be GTA4 still i dont think 10 gigs, 5 tops.

KvPTIGBqL.jpg

I hope thats not the final design because that is an ugly box. Should've just gone with the black and white title.

Also 360 owners should hope there is an install because all that constant streaming is going to kill a lot of machines and/or discs otherwise.

DarkWarrior on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No one is going to buy a goddamn PS3 just for Grand Theft Auto.

At least - having it in a bundle isn't going to encourage anymore people that would do it anyway.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also 360 owners should hope there is an install because all that constant streaming is going to kill a lot of machines and/or discs otherwise.
    facepalmex0.png

Couscous on
    edited April 2008

I almost cried.

I like Queen.

Any takers?

KvPTIGBqL.jpg

I hope thats not the final design because that is an ugly box. Should've just gone with the black and white title.

Lost Odyssey showed me I'm not getting any thing except exclusives on 360 ever again that game has hard locked and dropped the sound so many times that I fear even turning on the console for red lights. I could only imagine what a game that is always streaming would do to my poor 360.

bloodyroarxx on
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    facepalmex0.png

I'm sorry. Did I miss the update where older machines don't grind discs, burn them or generally fuck up?

DarkWarrior on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Get that console wars shit out of here, you dumb fuck.

Couscous on
    edited April 2008
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    No one is going to buy a goddamn PS3 just for Grand Theft Auto.

At least - having it in a bundle isn't going to encourage anymore people that would do it anyway.

I think you underestimate how popular GTA is in Europe, if you are going to get a console and you see the reason you're buying it branded on the box that is going to influence your decision.

bloodyroarxx on
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Get that console wars shit out of here, you dumb fuck.

Don't be a prick titmouse. I didn't say "Go getz a ps3, lolz". I said it needs an optional install and none of this "Dont make your game need to install" bullshit because the sad fact is that constantly streaming a game that big isn't going to do the console or disc any wonders. It helped kill PS2s quite frequently from what I hear and having the ability to rip the disc to my HDD for faster loading and less strain on the disc drive made me much more comfortable playing it.

DarkWarrior on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    picard-headesk.jpg

Your failure is noted DarkWarrior. Now enough of the console war rubbish. 360 is fine.

WMain00 on
This discussion has been closed.