As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

'O7 PC Tournaments: Rules and Info

123457»

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    WEll if its random and it switches every round for 3 round then its a coinflip, if it goes to tix after 2 rounds to decide who gets third, that works best (I think). Just seems most fair, the team that performed the best over the first two rounds gets choice(in a tie obviously), but the team that was behind still gets that chance to pull off an upset with the other side. Now not everybody's team preferences will be the same.

LOL I'm still looking for 3 people for my team.

the final match should be a round of gungame.

Shade on
  • pNopNo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You guys dont' know how psyched i am BABY!

Expect some serious headshots coming at you in the CS:S tournament!

pNo on
  • StormShadowStormShadow regular
    edited August 2007
    you guys shouldnt have given in to all the cry babies... contra? wtf :/

StormShadow on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    with 16 teams the WIC tournament should be double-elim. Just saying.

TrainwreckX on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Double Elim adds at least 2 more rounds, possibly 3. There won't be enough time.

ThePimpImp on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Uh WiC is taking up nearly all of sunday. PAX Ends at 6, the tourney has to be done before then.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    you guys shouldnt have given in to all the cry babies... contra? wtf :/

Im tired of people talking about maps, but for the record im with this guy.

why did people have to cry about great maps like de dust and de aztec. *this is not a chance to repost your arguements we know them kthx*

artifice on
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    pNo wrote: »
    You guys dont' know how psyched i am BABY!

Expect some serious headshots coming at you in the CS:S tournament!

I talked to fall and jmagic and it sounded like, if you play with fall, there's a spot open.

/me bats his eyelashes.

babelfish on
  • SeraphSeraph Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Lookin for a CSS team!?!? i know i'm a little late but with a solid week of training we could put up a good effort.
    So...anyone lookin for team or has a team thats needs players I'M DOWN. been playin' since beta and now im all about source, PM me if interested. Muchos Gracias

Seraph on
    edited August 2007
    One other question. Keyboards and mice are fine to bring, what the status on what headsets will be supplied and can we bring our own???

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    headsets will be there

BigRed on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm pretty sure the headsets we have are the Creative Labs HS-600. If they aren't that exact model, something similar.

David Coffman on
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the headsets we have are the Creative Labs HS-600. If they aren't that exact model, something similar.

I know I'm okay to use my own <everything else>, but how about headphones/mic? You know, since that headset's crap compared to what I'm used to. :p

babelfish on
    edited August 2007
    I'm getting very tired of all the flaming that's been occuring in this thread.

PAX is less than a week away. If I see a single post in that time composed of someone bitching out another user, consider yourself pre-disqualified from the tournaments.

I wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior during a tournament, I see no reason why I should tolerate it before the tournament.

To answer the question, you can bring your own headsets. As always, just make sure you remember to plug the old sets back in before you get up.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    Back on-topic, I don't mind what people use. Long as you aren't installing drivers or breaking PAX's equipment I imagine you should be fine to use it.

Wait.. pno is now a tourney admin or has any pull in anything?

Sweet.

BigRed on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    just to make sure ff will be on correct?

Shade on
    edited August 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Back on-topic, I don't mind what people use. Long as you aren't installing drivers or breaking PAX's equipment I imagine you should be fine to use it.

Wait.. pno is now a tourney admin or has any pull in anything?

Sweet.

What's the logical answer to a question like that BigRed?

I apologize for flaming but that guy doesn't provide any productivity and just flames anything that comes out of Babelfish's mouth.

I may not be a tournament admin but I sure as hell know you guys would answer in the same fashion... Or are you going to say 'No' and tell me that i'm wrong?

pNo on
  • ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    yep.

and yes, pinochio, we will allow you to bring in peripherals but you won't be allowed to install drivers. OTHERWISE THE BAN STICK.

ghrog on
    PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
    edited August 2007
    ghrog wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »
    yep.

and yes, pinochio, we will allow you to bring in peripherals but you won't be allowed to install drivers. OTHERWISE THE BAN STICK.

Great to hear Ghrog. I heard you disappeared for awhile after I talked to you that one day.

pNo on
  • ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yeah, I work the grave-yard shift. . . doesn't allow for much games playing :-[
    pays the bills though ^_^

ghrog on
    PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
    edited August 2007
    ghrog wrote: »
    yeah, I work the grave-yard shift. . . doesn't allow for much games playing :-[
    pays the bills though ^_^

A double edge sword. Well anyways It'll be cool to see some familiar faces next weekend. I'm actually checking out a Marysville LAN center if you or other peeps want to check it out with and get ready for some competition.

pNo on
  • C1eanerC1eaner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    babelfish wrote: »
    PanzeRIV wrote: »
    i for one have never played contra or seasons and would like to know if the maps are chosen randomly or as long as both teams agree?

That is nothing short of mean to you guys.... I love both of those maps but I suggested neither due to the fact a lot of you would never have played them.

Don't get me wrong when I say I am not for the maps personally, I just find it going to be unfair for all the pubbers now......

Contra is mean. Way too complex to learn in a few minutes before a match. Learning to listen for mud and water, learning all the different ways into bombsites, and, worse, learning names for places on the map... they'll have no chance.

Season, conversely, is not too terribly difficult. The vent is probably the only part of the map that isn't straightforward, aside from a few cheap hiding spots, and knowing how long it takes to get to certain places. I may not be a great example, but I picked it up within about 30 minutes of just running around it.

Still, my point is being if you don't play competitively you probably have never played either map so it won't be fair.

Oh don't worry I know both those maps very well. We will see everyone there with a full Syntax of Gaming roster. www.syntaxofgaming.net

C1eaner on
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    BF2 will be two rounds, cumulative ticket count wins, like last year. This way there's no complaints of imbalance as none of the maps are perfectly symmetrical, giving an advantage to one team in a best of three format.

Maps will be assigned for all but the final and semi-final round. For semis and finals participating teams will select the map to play from the map list.

Fall on
  • qNovApqNovAp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the clarification.

qNovAp on
    edited August 2007
    Are they still 20 minute rounds then, or are we going 30, since there was 60 per tourney round before?????

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    C1eaner wrote: »
    babelfish wrote: »
    PanzeRIV wrote: »
    i for one have never played contra or seasons and would like to know if the maps are chosen randomly or as long as both teams agree?

That is nothing short of mean to you guys.... I love both of those maps but I suggested neither due to the fact a lot of you would never have played them.

Don't get me wrong when I say I am not for the maps personally, I just find it going to be unfair for all the pubbers now......

Contra is mean. Way too complex to learn in a few minutes before a match. Learning to listen for mud and water, learning all the different ways into bombsites, and, worse, learning names for places on the map... they'll have no chance.

Season, conversely, is not too terribly difficult. The vent is probably the only part of the map that isn't straightforward, aside from a few cheap hiding spots, and knowing how long it takes to get to certain places. I may not be a great example, but I picked it up within about 30 minutes of just running around it.

Still, my point is being if you don't play competitively you probably have never played either map so it won't be fair.

Oh don't worry I know both those maps very well. We will see everyone there with a full Syntax of Gaming roster. www.syntaxofgaming.net

Just because 2 people in the whole tournament know what the map is doesn't mean it would still be a good choice for a tournament... It's set in stone so makes no difference.

pNo on
    edited August 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Are they still 20 minute rounds then, or are we going 30, since there was 60 per tourney round before?????

bump

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    We'll be holding 20 minutes per round.

Sorry for the miscommunication, the initial post has been edited. I know, I know, it's last minute.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    its all good, I'm just looking for clarification.

ThePimpImp on
This discussion has been closed.