As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warriors: L2Tank Here

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, one suggestion would be to switch out a couple of pieces of tank gear with dps gear.

Suggestion for whom?

Hamurabi on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Well, one suggestion would be to switch out a couple of pieces of tank gear with dps gear.

Suggestion for whom?

For you. You said that you were having a hard time getting rage in hon-heroic runs right? Cause they never seem to hit you. I'm sure it would be perfectly safe to swap out a piece or two of tank gear to dps gear.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    or you know, all of your tank gear.

Non-heroics are a huge joke for the most part. Only bosses really require tanking.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
    edited July 2007

Suggestion for whom?

For you. You said that you were having a hard time getting rage in hon-heroic runs right? Cause they never seem to hit you. I'm sure it would be perfectly safe to swap out a piece or two of tank gear to dps gear.

I was at about 458 Defense when I dinged 70, in mostly Of the Champion greens [some level 59... but only because everything outside of the Darkcrest plate shoulders looks hideous, and is more or less a marginal improvement...] and on my first Steamvaults run, a Holy pally in 70 blues was telling me I was using a lot of her mana to heal. So I flipped out and bought up all three Felsteel pieces, and socketed them with nine +6 Defense gems. An upgrade or two later, and I'm sitting on 497 Defense.

The point being: I think I may have overestimated the gear requirements of tanking normal level 70 5-mans. But I can't find that middle-ground between "taking up too much mana," and getting four Misses in a row when tanking a Malicious Instructor, and having no rage for Shield Slams, Revenges or Sunders.

Hamurabi on
  • mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The point being: I think I may have overestimated the gear requirements of tanking normal level 70 5-mans. But I can't find that middle-ground between "taking up too much mana," and getting four Misses in a row when tanking a Malicious Instructor, and having no rage for Shield Slams, Revenges or Sunders.

Was the healer any good though?

You can safely swap out those +defense gems for +stamina, 5-mans don't really require you to be crit unless you are doing heroics and even those got horribly nerfed.

Don't worry about miss streaks since they just happen, the worst thing you can do is start socketing your tanking gear with +hit like my guild's idiot maintank. Just swap in some dps +hit pieces or PvP/Arena gear with +hit and resilience if you really need it but it shouldn't be a problem for you constantly.

EDIT: I can't see a link to your warrior so I can't recommend anything specific but I'm sure you already know where to look.

mirarant on
    edited July 2007
    mirarant wrote: »

You can safely swap out those +defense gems for +stamina, 5-mans don't really require you to be crit unless you are doing heroics and even those got horribly nerfed.

Don't worry about miss streaks since they just happen, the worst thing you can do is start socketing your tanking gear with +hit like my guild's idiot maintank. Just swap in some dps +hit pieces or PvP/Arena gear with +hit and resilience if you really need it but it shouldn't be a problem for you constantly.

EDIT: I can't see a link to your warrior so I can't recommend anything specific but I'm sure you already know where to look.

Oh, I should've clarified: I meant Misses on me, made by mobs; mob can't hit me, I don't have rage to Shield Slam / Revenge quickly enough, and mob gets pulled off me.

And here's the link to my guy, again.

I've actually begun gathering mats for Bracers of the Green Fortress, because they look like the only epic wrists I'll have any real access to, being unable to get into even a gorram Karazhan, and being way undergeared for Heroics with completely sit luck at getting 70 blues [six or so Murmur kills, no Bold shoulders, even more first boss and Blackheart kills, no trinket or shield]...

Hamurabi on
  • WylderneedshelpWylderneedshelp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to clarify - Nothing you can do with your gear can decrease or increase the chance of misses. Dodge/Parry yes... but misses are a fixed percentage based on level. If your problem was REALLY 4x misses in a row, that was just pure bad luck. Its not anything to do with how uber you are.

Also, using bloodrage before you pull (improved bloodrage if you are really rage-starved) helps mitigate this a lot. My warrrior is one of our MTs for Kara, over 500 defense, and 12k unbuffed hps. If I can still tank a non-heroic without any rage issues then so can you.

Wylderneedshelp on
  • SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to clarify - Nothing you can do with your gear can decrease or increase the chance of misses. Dodge/Parry yes... but misses are a fixed percentage based on level. If your problem was REALLY 4x misses in a row, that was just pure bad luck. Its not anything to do with how uber you are.

Also, using bloodrage before you pull (improved bloodrage if you are really rage-starved) helps mitigate this a lot. My warrrior is one of our MTs for Kara, over 500 defense, and 12k unbuffed hps. If I can still tank a non-heroic without any rage issues then so can you.

Having more defense compared to their weapon skill increases the chance you'll be missed.

Samoris on
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mirarant wrote: »

Oh, I should've clarified: I meant Misses on me, made by mobs; mob can't hit me, I don't have rage to Shield Slam / Revenge quickly enough, and mob gets pulled off me.

And here's the link to my guy, again.

I've actually begun gathering mats for Bracers of the Green Fortress, because they look like the only epic wrists I'll have any real access to, being unable to get into even a gorram Karazhan, and being way undergeared for Heroics with completely sit luck at getting 70 blues [six or so Murmur kills, no Bold shoulders, even more first boss and Blackheart kills, no trinket or shield]...

Don't get those bracers. The BEST tanking wrists you can get are the GREEN Junior Tech ones from Netherstorm, forget the name of the quest until you can get some purples, but don't waste time and money on Braces of the green fortress you find equal wrists drop in heroics. Honest to Pete. Get rid of those defense gems in your gear. Stack stamina always and forever. Raiding is different but you have nearly 500 defense and only 10.5k health? The charged fists of those robots in Mechanar hit for something close to 4k I think and you'll need to run that a lot because it is full of tank goodies. I had to kill Blackheart over 20 times for the trinket to drop. Really just grind out all the factions to get your heroic keys and the gear will come to you. Faction rewards are quite nice, the Sha'Tar shield comes to mind among other things. The cape, Devilshark(?), from Steam Vaults is useful as is the chest piece (Jade something or other) from The Mechanar.

If aggro is that much of a worry for you stop using 10 rage to shield block and instead devastate or sunder. Consider getting the increased one-handed weapon talent in the prot tree to boost your damage which helps you generate more rage and TPS. If you are tanking mainly 5 mans you probably don't need improved shield wall and would be better off getting spell mitigation or improved revenge. Of course this is just some lurkers opinion, but I hope it gets you thinking and helps you work out your tanking woes.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're having a problem with getting hit and having enough rage, you could just try putting your shield away in between bosses.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited July 2007
    Well, I just ran maybe my 7th Shadow Labs, not using Shield Block on trash, and I seeemed to do fine. Had no problem Charging, Shield Slamming, and proceeding to either Sunder or just Revenge spam. So yeah, I guess I was overestimating the importance of Shield Block in non-Heroic 5-mans.

Also, I could've sworn having more Defense increased your chance to be Missed on.

Hamurabi on
  • WylderneedshelpWylderneedshelp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man what?

Yeah... shield block is for bosses.

Wylderneedshelp on
  • SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I just ran maybe my 7th Shadow Labs, not using Shield Block on trash, and I seeemed to do fine. Had no problem Charging, Shield Slamming, and proceeding to either Sunder or just Revenge spam. So yeah, I guess I was overestimating the importance of Shield Block in non-Heroic 5-mans.

Also, I could've sworn having more Defense increased your chance to be Missed on.

It does.

Samoris on
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Additionally once you hit 5 sunders start the Devastate spam. I think Armory said you hit for about 200 a swing which is about the magic number where Devastate generates more threat than sunders static 301 does, I know it costs more rage but the idea is to get into the habit early. Or at least this is how I do it, but each tank has their own style.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't get those bracers. The BEST tanking wrists you can get are the GREEN Junior Tech ones from Netherstorm

They nerfed the green netherstorm bracers a couple patches ago, instead of 42 stam they're now 24. Right now my warrior is using the bracer reward from some Shadow Labyrinth quest for tanking, and I might upgrade to Green Fortress later once I take care of a few other slots.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pomegranatepomegranate Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CripTonic wrote: »

Non-heroics are a huge joke for the most part. Only bosses really require tanking.

Maybe for you, now that you're completely geared out, but last time I checked, my clothies get three-shotted by trash in plenty of non-heroics. Fine, you can be flip once you've done all the work, but really. There are people running Tempest Keep instances in greens yet.

pomegranate on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Maybe for you, now that you're completely geared out, but last time I checked, my clothies get three-shotted by trash in plenty of non-heroics. Fine, you can be flip once you've done all the work, but really. There are people running Tempest Keep instances in greens yet.

I don't know what that's all about. I don't care what kind of gear your clothies are wearing. They are going to get one-shotted if they get healing aggro. (In heroics)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • pomegranatepomegranate Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I don't know what that's all about. I don't care what kind of gear your clothies are wearing. They are going to get one-shotted if they get healing aggro. (In heroics)

His point is that in "non-heroics" tanking isn't necessary except for boss fights. My point is that he's mistaken.

pomegranate on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

His point is that in "non-heroics" tanking isn't necessary except for boss fights. My point is that he's mistaken.

Ah. Well, I still agree with you, so there.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, it looks like my warrior might end up tanking one of my guild's Karazhan runs. Here is my Warrior's armory link for reference. I'm a bit worried about having the gear for it, just shy of 12k health unbuffed, sitting just over 12k Armor, ~30% combined dodge and parry. While I have the basics covered (490 defense, uncrushable with Shield Block up) and I'm confident that my spec is decent, it's just impossible to get non-heroic runs going in-guild so I'm missing a bunch of normal instance drops like the Jade-Skull Breastplate, the Bold shoulders, or the KoT Revered stuff. If I do get the spot, am I gonna get smooshed?

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You'll be fine up to a point and where that point is will pretty much depend on how good your healers all. Also just run pugs.

khain on
  • KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thats actually pretty damn good kara tanking equipment...when we started, both tanks sat around 10k HP unbuffed.

Kartan on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok, I'm getting very frustrated by my warrior. Do we have any end-game role that isn't tanking? I hate tanking (and I'm sure who ever I'm teaming with doesn't like repair bills) but every team only wants a tank. I can't even get into guild runs to places, let alone PUG's once I say that I don't wanna tank. Its really getting to be a downer. Even though I can out-DPS most people in my guild, and I'm sure most people who are in the PUG's as well, I still can't get a place because I don't wanna be a punch bag. I've gotten into 2 PUG's in the last week and a half, and in both of them I left because they assumed I was a tank when they saw me in LFG .So, do we have any end-game role different from tanking, or should I level my Undead Lock, because I really don't want to play a character that has no purpose, and no hope of doing anything other then daily's.

Tav on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tav wrote: »
    Ok, I'm getting very frustrated by my warrior. Do we have any end-game role that isn't tanking? I hate tanking (and I'm sure who ever I'm teaming with doesn't like repair bills) but every team only wants a tank. I can't even get into guild runs to places, let alone PUG's once I say that I don't wanna tank. Its really getting to be a downer. Even though I can out-DPS most people in my guild, and I'm sure most people who are in the PUG's as well, I still can't get a place because I don't wanna be a punch bag. I've gotten into 2 PUG's in the last week and a half, and in both of them I left because they assumed I was a tank when they saw me in LFG .So, do we have any end-game role different from tanking, or should I level my Undead Lock, because I really don't want to play a character that has no purpose, and no hope of doing anything other then daily's.

Generally we bring a DPS warrior for most fights. But then again we have a number of well geared Prot Warriors and Prot Paladins to handle tanking. The only major headache for DPS warriors is your lack of aggro dump.

Thomamelas on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Honestly, if tanking bothers you that much, you may want to look into another class. Even DPS warriors are asked to tank now and again. It's just something you have to accept as an inevitability.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Honestly, if tanking bothers you that much, you may want to look into another class. Even DPS warriors are asked to tank now and again. It's just something you have to accept as an inevitability.

I know thats its an inevitability, and I do it for guildys/and friends if they need me to. I'm just wondering is it all we can do at 70, or is there any chance of doing damage in instances.

Tav on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, there is. With a proper group(most importantly, a shaman with windfury totem down), I think warriors can do some very nice damage.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've done 560 DPS in a level 70 instance without a single epic (other than the general's bracers, which hardly count) and no windfury. Because I pay attention, I routinely beat lazy-ass fucking mages, rogues, hunters, you name it. I know I couldn't if they were doing their goddamn jobs (in fact a MM hunter beat me by like 20% last time I did Mech), but being a good player is an asset to consider.

In doing so several times, I've built up a friends list of people who know that I break faces good, with whom I can form parties for instances that I need.

Sadly, this is life for Fury at 70.

I hate tanking as well, mostly from 70 levels of "HEAY ARE YUOU PROT CMO TNAK FOER UHS LOEEELZ!!1!BURP!1" and am unwilling to do it for PuGs, and unwilling to respec to prot at all. Amusingly, this has cost me any chance of raiding with my guild.. you know, raiding, exactly what Fury fucking does.

Arg.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited July 2007
    Swear more.

Hamurabi on
    edited July 2007
    Well, fury may be a raiding spec, but there are some guilds(maybe not yours) where there simply isn't room for a fury warrior.

That being said, fury warriors are pretty damn valuable, as their shout really is an asset to a rogue group, and a two-handed warrior with pretty good gear gets something like 300+ dps from a windfury totem alone.

Septus on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kainy wrote: »
    I've done 560 DPS in a level 70 instance without a single epic (other than the general's bracers, which hardly count) and no windfury. Because I pay attention, I routinely beat lazy-ass fucking mages, rogues, hunters, you name it. I know I couldn't if they were doing their goddamn jobs (in fact a MM hunter beat me by like 20% last time I did Mech), but being a good player is an asset to consider.

In doing so several times, I've built up a friends list of people who know that I break faces good, with whom I can form parties for instances that I need.

Sadly, this is life for Fury at 70.

I hate tanking as well, mostly from 70 levels of "HEAY ARE YUOU PROT CMO TNAK FOER UHS LOEEELZ!!1!BURP!1" and am unwilling to do it for PuGs, and unwilling to respec to prot at all. Amusingly, this has cost me any chance of raiding with my guild.. you know, raiding, exactly what Fury fucking does.

Arg.

They only do prot warriors in raids? Any feral druids or prot paladins?

Thomamelas on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Well, fury may be a raiding spec, but there are some guilds(maybe not yours) where there simply isn't room for a fury warrior.

That being said, fury warriors are pretty damn valuable, as their shout really is an asset to a rogue group, and a two-handed warrior with pretty good gear gets something like 300+ dps from a windfury totem alone.

Their DPS is great. Until they die.

exis on
    edited July 2007
    exis wrote: »

Dying is overrated, I prefer to live.

If your guild is only into Kara, you may need to spec to prot to MT for them because of the limited amount of people allowed there, but once they get into 25 mans, I'm sure going fury would be fine, unless they are ignorant.

Of coarse if they can get a prot pally or a feral druid, I'm sure it would be cool.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So guys, Working on blacksmithing for one of the crafted epics, and like every other warrior im thinking of going the stormherald route for obvious reasons.

Anyone provide a reasonable arguement for the axe or sword? Fear resist on the sword is hot, so is all the AP on the axe but it has a serious lack of stamina.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    So guys, Working on blacksmithing for one of the crafted epics, and like every other warrior im thinking of going the stormherald route for obvious reasons.

Anyone provide a reasonable arguement for the axe or sword? Fear resist on the sword is hot, so is all the AP on the axe but it has a serious lack of stamina.

Well, as a fury warrior I went with the 1h axe, Planar Edge, and it's served me quite nicely. The raw damage is pretty awesome. As for dying, well that tends to happen if you're not careful. You have to watch your DPS since there's no anti-threat abilities, though there are a few trinkets and capes that can help with that.

Of course, for Karazhan, there's only so much room in a 10 man raid so don't expect much attention as DPS until 25 mans come along for you.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited July 2007

If they let themselves get too high on threat, sure. The question is if their dps, while under the threat cap, is high enough, and my impression is that it can be. But I think they'd want a -2% threat enchant, always have salvation, and possibly even have a few fading potions in their inventory for the bad situations.

Septus on
    edited July 2007
    Saban wrote: »

IMO, I think that sword is pretty weak. As a warrior, you will already have fear breakers in the form of berserker rage and deathwish (if you spec for it) so that part isn't really great. Also, it has the lowest damage range, which means weaker slams. The 1h sword is more of a tanking weapon than anything. Seems pallies would get more use out of it.

Axe is really nice, good stats and all that. The 1h axe is also something to be proud of.

Mace is usually the chosen for a warrior because it stacks nicely with mace spec allowing you a kinda 'stunlock' build. The 1h is also pretty fucking amazing. 400 haste is not something to look away from at all.

I guess it's your peferance, but I think it is:

Mace = Axe > Sword

As for me, I keep thinking about taking up macecrafting, but I always turn away. I have this fear that as soon as I am able to craft one of those, Blizz will either nerf the shit out of it, or really fucking buff engineering.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I really like sword, because it's pretty looking and sword spec seems to be a pretty nice middling ground between pve and pvp

I'm going sword spec on my warrior, 'cause I plan to do a mix of pve and pvp on him.

I'd say for pvp it's mace > sword > axe, pve it's axe > sword > mace

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Dying is overrated, I prefer to live.

If your guild is only into Kara, you may need to spec to prot to MT for them because of the limited amount of people allowed there, but once they get into 25 mans, I'm sure going fury would be fine, unless they are ignorant.

Of coarse if they can get a prot pally or a feral druid, I'm sure it would be cool.

We have two Kara groups running, and have I believe 3 prot warriors, a feral druid, and a prot paladin, in addition to a well-geared arms warrior for the tanking.

Basically they just say my unwillingness to respec to prot to run 5-man heroics to improve my gear faster says I don't really want to raid. I have plenty of upgrading to do before I consider myself raid-worthy, so I'm not real steamed up about it, and I see their point. It's just irritating to be a raiding spec and be told I need to respec to run 5-mans so that I can OT better when the amount of plate tanking gear that drops in Kara is ridiculous, and I viscerally hate tanking and have made them aware of it.

Ah well, there's always all those other classes I'm interested in.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited July 2007
    I see where you're coming from, but I will say that prot pallies and feral druids are more valuable to raids than a fury warrior, and 10 mans are where the choice to cut is the hardest.

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.