As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warriors: L2Tank Here

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, but five fucking tanks for two ten-mans? Even if you get said tanking gear, you would still either be assed out or dpsing anyhow because you will still be undergeared compared to the other tanks.

Offer to go bloodfrenzy / debuff build, that might work. Warriors have some awsome debuffs when specced right.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, but five fucking tanks for two ten-mans? Even if you get said tanking gear, you would still either be assed out or dpsing anyhow because you will still be undergeared compared to the other tanks.

Offer to go bloodfrenzy / debuff build, that might work. Warriors have some awsome debuffs when specced right.

I had a 31 20 build, with points that increased Battle Shout.

The Raid Leader loved putting me in the group with our two top Rogues. (Hint: The RL was one of our two top Rogues.)

Seg on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well currently I am not raiding or doing Heroics, just regulat instances (which I can tank fine) so for DPS with a 2-handed axe I went with this Build: http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-talents.xml?r=Sargeras&n=Skragg

And while its been OK, I get the feeling I could be doing WAY more damage. Is DW fury better then straight 2 handed arms? Should I try a different build for MS 2-Handed?

Bucketman on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well currently I am not raiding or doing Heroics, just regulat instances (which I can tank fine) so for DPS with a 2-handed axe I went with this Build: http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-talents.xml?r=Sargeras&n=Skragg

And while its been OK, I get the feeling I could be doing WAY more damage. Is DW fury better then straight 2 handed arms? Should I try a different build for MS 2-Handed?
    I am very much enjoying my 33/23/5 MS/Imp. Slam build. Having a half-second attack makes a great rage dump and keeps my damage relatively sustained.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I am very much enjoying my 33/23/5 MS/Imp. Slam build. Having a half-second attack makes a great rage dump and keeps my damage relatively sustained.

See I always saw Slam as a Raid DPS utility. Like if your not always being attacked at close range. I never even use it unless I am for those rare occasions I'm spare DPS. Am I'm terribly wrong?

Bucketman on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a fucking joke.

What am I supposed to do about my every other attack being Dodged or Parried? It's getting ridiculous. I sometimes lose mobs because my initial Shield Slam threat placeholder didn't connect, and Taunt wasn't up. Not to mention 5-man bosses... >_<

Also: does Slam still negate your following white swing?

Hamurabi on
    edited July 2007
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    It resets the swing timer on completion of casting. If you time it so the normal swing occurs within Slam's cast channeling, it more than makes up for the slight bump your next swing gets. If I have enough rage, sometimes I can squeeze a white hit, Slam, and Mortal Strike together into an ice-cold spumoni of pain. Stuff like Quartz's swing timer is a big help for that.

redstormpopcorn on
    edited July 2007

See I always saw Slam as a Raid DPS utility. Like if your not always being attacked at close range. I never even use it unless I am for those rare occasions I'm spare DPS. Am I'm terribly wrong?

Casting Slam is no longer slowed down while being hit.

Seg on
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    This is a fucking joke.

What am I supposed to do about my every other attack being Dodged or Parried? It's getting ridiculous. I sometimes lose mobs because my initial Shield Slam threat placeholder didn't connect, and Taunt wasn't up. Not to mention 5-man bosses... >_<

Demo Shout and TClap that shit back to you if your SS doesn't connect. Demo Shout is awesome because it doesn't break CC and gives you a few seconds to move the mobs away from anything CC'd to TClap. Missing SS happens to me all the time because I have no plus to hit, but you've just got to work around it. I mean on a boss you really shouldn't need to start a fight with SS because the DPS classes should be giving you at least two sunders before they blow their shit.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only way to stop Parries, Dodges, and Blocks is to increase your weapon skill. Are you human?

silence1186 on
  • uruloki2001uruloki2001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only way to stop Parries, Dodges, and Blocks is to increase your weapon skill. Are you human?

No.

Not since 2.0 or something. Weapon skill is +0.08% to crit now.

uruloki2001 on
    WoW - Elizabet, Queen Meatshield / Majer of the Chilly Toes
    EVE Online - Elizabet Loki
    edited July 2007

No.

Not since 2.0 or something. Weapon skill is +0.08% to crit now.

Wait, really? This is news to me. Weapon skill only affects crit chance now?

So now there's nothing you can do to minimize the chance of being Parried or Dodged?

Hamurabi on
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought the only thing that changed about weapon skill was its effect on glancing blows. From what I heard, they replaced that with extra crit against mobs higher level than you.

FrylockHolmes on
  • uruloki2001uruloki2001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry, looks like I was wrong :oops: According to the wiki
    * Your chance to miss decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your chance to score a critical hit increases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to block your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to parry your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to dodge your attack decreases by 0.04%.

uruloki2001 on
    WoW - Elizabet, Queen Meatshield / Majer of the Chilly Toes
    EVE Online - Elizabet Loki
  • Monster?Monster? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Good Christ, I am so confused...

I am currently a 64 Warrior who, at 70, is going to respec prot (8/5/48 like everyone else) to run Heroics and get geared for Kara, but there are a few questions I need answered first

1. I keep hearing a lot about whether going imp HS or imp TC is the preferred choice. On the first page Grumthorn mentioned that Imp TC is the preferred talent by heroics, does this still hold true (I will worry about respecing again once I find a solid guild who runs the raids)

2. I read the tanking guide provided on the first page, and I have asked a few tanks in game and I hear very mixed things about the best threat cycle... as far as I am aware: you build to 5 sunders, then SS, revenge then devestate, and with extra rage HS?

Thanks in advance

Monster? on
    Grograel - 70 Orc Warrior (Spinebreaker)
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Monster? wrote: »
    Good Christ, I am so confused...

I am currently a 64 Warrior who, at 70, is going to respec prot (8/5/48 like everyone else) to run Heroics and get geared for Kara, but there are a few questions I need answered first

1. I keep hearing a lot about whether going imp HS or imp TC is the preferred choice. On the first page Grumthorn mentioned that Imp TC is the preferred talent by heroics, does this still hold true (I will worry about respecing again once I find a solid guild who runs the raids)

2. I read the tanking guide provided on the first page, and I have asked a few tanks in game and I hear very mixed things about the best threat cycle... as far as I am aware: you build to 5 sunders, then SS, revenge then devestate, and with extra rage HS?

Thanks in advance

I can't tell you the best way to do anything, but what I can tell you is what I did as a personal prot tank for my friends in the early months of TBC. Improved TC is a must have ability because coupled with a quick demo shout is the only way you are going to grab multiple mobs and prevent them from wrecking your healer's face. I shy away from improved HS because I use it as a rage dump mainly on boss fights. It is an ability and therefore it takes away from any rage you would have generated with that white hit (or so I have been lead to believe).

As for a threat cycle you have got the basics down. You sunder, shield block, and revenge until 5 sunders are up. Then you start hitting devastate if it hits for more than 200 damage because then it generates more threat per rage than a sunder. Shield Slam is one of those oh shit abilities I use if I have to taunt something off a fire mage or elemental/enhancement shaman. IT lets me taunt and then put down solid threat to make sure the mob stays with me after the 6 second debuff. It puts out a shit ton of threat real quick but saving up the 17 or so rage when you already have aggro is silly, you really want to be getting rid of your rage as fast as possible. Other than that I do the same thing after 5 sunders with some TCs thrown in if it won't break CC because slower attacks mean less work for the healers and you can rebuff demo and commanding/battle whichever you use after the 5 sunders too. Hope this helps.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am pretty sure that you want to keep Shield Slam on cooldown at all times. There is no better move for snap aggro. Waiting to use it untill someone pulls aggro is just making it a pain for everyone else in your group/raid. You need to max out you TPS. Doing that allows your DPS to kill the enemy faster.

Sunders should be thrown in between Shield Slam, Shield Block, and Revenge. Devastate at 5 sunders and Heroic Strike as a rage dump and keep Thunder Clap and Demo Shout on the mob at all times.

Don't forget an Intercept/Intervene macro. A Zerker Rage macro might help also.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited August 2007
    Yah, from what I have seen, Shield Slam whenever you are able, and Taunt or Mocking Blow for when someone pulls aggro.

Seg on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Imp TC is definitely better than Imp HS for heroics as it lowers the amount of damage you take significantly. I'm not sure what lifeincognito is talking about with SS as it doesn't cause a debuff to my knowledge and definitely doesn't have a taunt. Its your highest threat skill and like Mild and Seg said should be used whenever its up in most situations.

For starting rotation it really depends on who your grouped with and how soon they start to dps. I personally do it the way Mild said where you just put sunder in the normal rotation for devastate and switch back when you hit 5 sunders.

khain on
    edited August 2007
    Shield Slam has a chance to dispelling a Magic Effect on the target. So using it as an opener isn't such a bad thing. I geuss that can fall under the category of "de-buff" if the mob you are fighting has different buffs it uses.

Seg on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone know of what was forth comming for warriors in the exp?

Brainleech on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone know where i can find a list of gear i should be trying for to get me going for tanking at 70? im thinking faction/drops from non heroics mostly, Timewardens leggings etc etc.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    Anyone know where i can find a list of gear i should be trying for to get me going for tanking at 70? im thinking faction/drops from non heroics mostly, Timewardens leggings etc etc.

Enjoy.

Tav on
    edited August 2007
    Kaliban's Loot List is pretty good, even if it is sorta lacking in the crafted-item department.

redstormpopcorn on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So...
    This is my current build.
    I'm thinking of respeccing and getting Mortal Strikes now, and waiting on Cruelty...But that leaves me with the conundrum of what to get in Arms now. I was thinking Weapon Mastery and possibly Improved Disciplines. Normally I'd laugh at that, but I use Retaliation A LOT. Whenever I charge in recklessly and end up fighting 3 or 4 even-level mobs. And it ALWAYS saves my ass by killing shit incredibly fast.

So that gives me this at 41...

I was thinking of ending with This, which would be a big help tanking and grinding before Heroics..

I'm open to suggestions, but would prefer to stay away from Fury. I don't seem to like the Middle trees much ;)

Also, No I will not drop Sword Spec for Axe Spec.
    I like my Whirlwind sword.

The Muffin Man on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Warriors need a 31 point talent to really be effective. Get one when you hit 40, and you'll be pleased.

silence1186 on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hard to find decent boots with defense rating on them outside of raiding.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited August 2007
    Just get either the Sha'tari Vindicator's Boots, or the Obsidian Clodstompers and socket them both with +def. And as for Heroics, just do Blood Furnace for Eaglecrest.

Hamurabi on
    edited August 2007
    Can anyone reccomend me a good tanking belt that I can get outside of heroics? I nearly have a full tanking set, just working on getting another ring, bracers and a belt.

Tav on
  • mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31460

Reward for the next to last quest for the arcatraz key, ( http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=10704 ). Which is an alright line, 3 blue rewards by the time you finish it, and you get the key to arcatraz.

mfc144 on
    edited August 2007
    mfc144 wrote: »
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31460

Reward for the next to last quest for the arcatraz key, ( http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=10704 ). Which is an alright line, 3 blue rewards by the time you finish it, and you get the key to arcatraz.

Thanks, I actually have half the key in my bag. I really should run Bot for the other half now.

Tav on
    edited August 2007
    So, is it common for people to gangbang the warrior every time he's in a big fight, or is that just the PTR? Like, I can't Charge without having 2-3 rogues come out of stealth and start shitting all over me.

Hamurabi on
  • senekuseneku Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As for a threat cycle you have got the basics down. You sunder, shield block, and revenge until 5 sunders are up. Then you start hitting devastate if it hits for more than 200 damage because then it generates more threat per rage than a sunder. Shield Slam is one of those oh shit abilities I use if I have to taunt something off a fire mage or elemental/enhancement shaman. IT lets me taunt and then put down solid threat to make sure the mob stays with me after the 6 second debuff. It puts out a shit ton of threat real quick but saving up the 17 or so rage when you already have aggro is silly, you really want to be getting rid of your rage as fast as possible. Other than that I do the same thing after 5 sunders with some TCs thrown in if it won't break CC because slower attacks mean less work for the healers and you can rebuff demo and commanding/battle whichever you use after the 5 sunders too. Hope this helps.

You'd really want to use Shield slam constantly, nothing comes close to generating the same level of threat. Basically Shield Slam every time its up, revenge everytime its up and most of the time you'll be spamming Shield Block too so revenge will be up 99% of the time its CD is expired. Sunder, especially with the reduced rage cost talents, is nice especially for multi mob tanking as you can thunderclap, demo shout and then spam sunders on the mobs to keep them stuck on you. Sunder continues to generate threat even after 5 applications however if your devastates do over 200 damage then you should use those instead as its more TPS(Threat Per Sec). Then if your boss tanking you'll almost always have spare rage, spam heroic strike as well as its extra TPS which is always nice but this only applies when you've got excess rage or if you need to build a lot of extra threat fast as it isn't on the Global CD so you can spam HS and Sunder etc at the same time.

Taunt should not be part of your tanking cycle, if you're reliant on that to maintain aggro you're doing something wrong. (Or the nubs in your party are attacking different targets!) -.- Thunderclap and Demo shout are usefull for multimob tanking but they are not enough alone to hold them, you will need to slap some sunders or a shield slam etc to stop them running away. When Boss tanking you should obviously keep TC/DS up to lower the damage you take, if you're raid tanking Imp TC isn't a requirement but its handy if at least one of the tanks has it as there will usually be multiple tanks on the boss. Improved Revenge is handy and even though I'm rarely tanking much outside of raids(5/6 SSC, 2/4TK atm) I still like to have it, good for multi-mob tanking and stuns are always nice on trash even if they dont work so well on bosses.

seneku on
    -=Seneku=-
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to be going prot in order to tank heroics and whatnot, however I'm a little intimidated by it. When should I be using shield slam and devistate? My current routine is to Shoot, sunder(Usually 3 times) while hitting revenge if its up and then alternating between revenge, shield bash, HS and sunder. I'm doing ok in normal instances as long as people gimme a few seconds to get the sunders up, but I'm afraid that heroics are going to be miles tougher and I really don't want to fuck up while doing it (Especially since I'm kinda semi-hopeful of maybe having a small chance of possibly getting in a Kara group soon-ish)

Tav on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm going to be going prot in order to tank heroics and whatnot, however I'm a little intimidated by it. When should I be using shield slam and devistate? My current routine is to Shoot, sunder(Usually 3 times) while hitting revenge if its up and then alternating between revenge, shield bash, HS and sunder. I'm doing ok in normal instances as long as people gimme a few seconds to get the sunders up, but I'm afraid that heroics are going to be miles tougher and I really don't want to fuck up while doing it (Especially since I'm kinda semi-hopeful of maybe having a small chance of possibly getting in a Kara group soon-ish)

Tav, I would drop Shield Bash out of your rotation. The only time you should be using that ability is as an interrupt. To reiterate the last page:

1. Sunder/Revenge/Shield Slam Until 5 sunders
    2. Once 5 sunders are up, Devastate.
    3. Continue using Revenge/Shield Block/Shield Slam when the Cooldowns are finished (rage allowing)
    4. If you are doing the above and find that you have an excess of rage, mix Heroic Strikes in.

Heroic Strike does not cause the global cooldown to activate, so you'll be able to use it without screwing up a rotation. Be aware that because it is a special attack that occurs "On Next Attack" you will not be gaining rage from attacks with Heroic Strike (hence, you only use it when you have an excess of rage).

If you are rage starved, always use revenge when it pops. It is, by far, your highest threat-per-rage ability. If Revenge isn't lighting up, you can force it through Shield Block.

Also, a note on Devistate is that it does less threat-per-rage than Sunder, until Devastate starts hitting for 200 and up. A weapon like Grom'Tor's Charge should be giving you Devastates that hit for near 200, if not higher.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • jynxycatjynxycat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you are rage starved, always use revenge when it pops. It is, by far, your highest threat-per-rage ability. If Revenge isn't lighting up, you can force it through Shield Block.

Always shield block :l

jynxycat on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I was under the impression that Shield Block is a good idea, considering blocking generates rage(and damage on a block moreso, i.e Shield Spike)

The Muffin Man on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In raids, yes always shield block. However, if you are tanking a non-heroic 5-man, you're probably rage starved, and in which case, spending rage on threat would be preferable. I'm not saying *don't* shield block, I'm just say there may be better uses of rage, if you are low.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I was under the impression that Shield Block is a good idea, considering blocking generates rage(and damage on a block moreso, i.e Shield Spike)

No one uses a Shield Spike unless they're a lowbie, a Prot pally, or both. And every Block a warrior makes generates 1 point of rage, assuming he has the talent.

Hamurabi on
  • grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In raids, yes always shield block. However, if you are tanking a non-heroic 5-man, you're probably rage starved, and in which case, spending rage on threat would be preferable. I'm not saying *don't* shield block, I'm just say there may be better uses of rage, if you are low.

It's also worth remembering that the primary reason for shield blocking is to render oneself crush immune. Given that crushing blows are not an issue until you face level 73 mobs (i.e. raid content) you can safely navigate every 5 man without ever touching shield block (and probably should seeing as you will as the above poster notes probably have rage issues). The only pitfall of this approach is that when the time comes to move on to raid content you may find the new emphasis on shield block not part of your ingrained rota and forget about it (which will be fatal to your raid, getting a crushing blow as a warrior outside of a few specific circumstances generally means you suck).

grumthorn on
This discussion has been closed.