As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Threespeech doesn't have free speech?

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Lave II wrote: »
Thanks to the wonder of Unix I currently have two browsers open. One running on my laptop at home. And one running on my work PC with the window piped through SSH to my laptop. This means they have different IP addresses and cookies and so on.

I wrote this post first:
I’ve just listened to the whole podcast.

The Internet has one commodity. Trust.

The viewers have to believe the creaters. And with this sites ambiguity thats impossible. How about a detailed explanation of the site. Answer these questions:

* Are you being paid by Sony, it’s marketing department, or by others on behalf of Sony to make this site? It seems the answer is yes.

* Are you given free reign to voice your true opinions? It seems the answer is no.

* What are Sony’s aims with this site?

I am ashamed. This site, and the podcast is so “on-topic” that it beggers belief. It’s like a concerted effort to “push” “hard-core” opinion on the Sony Brand products.

At no point did I see a genuine criticism of any of the platforms. And minor criticism was quickly distorted back into something positive.

Sony wins no fans by trying to insidiously promote itself in this way. To try and have it’s cake and eat it.

And I pity those involved. Because it’s clear you have asperations in the games media field and you’ve damaged your CV beyond repair with job.

I want Sony to do well with the PS3. The ability to install Linux (and thus Myth TV etc) will mean I’m far more likely to buy one over the 360. But this kind of marketing is truly offensive.

Comment by Lave — June 28, 2007 @ 4:51 pm

It comes in at number 79. Here - can you see it? I wrote it with my laptop.

I later logged into uni (to get NASA ADS journal access) and so was effectively using my PC there. I happened to revisit the thread, and noticed they deleted my comment. So I returned to my faster local browers and made another comment.

(this was it:
Hi Ben.

I see that your a student. But it’s also clear that this isn’t an independent podcast. A honest explanation of all of your relationships with Sony would be appreciated. No one can listen that podcast and come away with the idea it was an independent producton. It came across more like an advert. As I said on my comment that was deleted Trust is the only commodity on the internet.

Your comments were justified and informed. But *you* van’t say them when you seem so much worse!

If you want a job in this field after uni - then I think this blog may damage your chances unless you explain what this blog actually is.

And people should shut up about your accents. I think there wonderful. And much clearer than mine, It seems americans can only understand the posh fake English accent.

Good luck!

But then I realised that on my Laptop I can still see both comment.

Therefore ThreeSpeech are deleting "negative" comments - but pretending to the commenter that they are still there!

Is this common?
Try it for yourself.

Type a post from me:

Name: Lave
email: skeptoboturigeller@yahoo.co.uk (take out the lying fraud - Mr U Geller)
web page: http://skeptobot.blogspot.com

And watch all my sensored posts reappear eg check comment number 79 before and after.

It's clearly to make you think they are more open to criticism than they really are. And that there leaving your posts up.

(Oh and don't make me out to be a dick)

This is especially hilarious because of what their website says:
We won’t censor content so long as this space is used constructively.

tl;dr:
Threespeech is deleting posts but still show them when you make another post. This is obviously so that people don't notice their comments are deleted.

Couscous on

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    One minor point.

You need to buy a dictionary.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Where's the abridged version of that post?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Where's the abridged version of that post?

Lave makes post telling threespeech how much they suck. Lave finds out that they removed it from public view but kept it on his profile.

Rook on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    tl;dr Threespeech delete comments from the site, but still show them to the user that posted them, thus making them appear like they haven't been deleted.

I think.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cheers titmouse.

@Grinch. Not being able to edit my posts is killing me ok. Sorry about the many spelling mistakes. I also typed those posts through an ssh connection which never helps - as it's so laggy.

Abridged version: Threespeech is deleting comments. But when you put your name and email address in it covertly "logs you in." When logged in it will pretend to you that your comments are still there.

For instance I can see all my comments on my machine but you can't. Go here: Threespeech.

Look at post 79. Now post something (nice, like "test" ) with my details in the OP. Now look at post 79. My comments are back!

Lave II on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This strikes me as needlessly sneaky.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    tarnok wrote: »

One Lave's part or threespeech's?

KalTorak on
    edited June 2007
    This is a screen shot of a local browser and a browser running on a machine 5 miles away and "piped" to my desktop side by side. One sees the comments one does not.
    http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2996/picture2nz9.png

It's very sneaky. I can understand the deletion of comments. All my comments asked was for a explanation of who was running the site. And to try and hide the deletion from me is very suspect.

It's such a strange situation. From the postings of one guy there called ben who replied to my comments that haven't been deleted - it seems he isn't being paid directly. No doubt he gets free stuff. But that the perk of any journalist. And he admits he has no control over what makes the first page and comments. So he's not much more than a patsy giving them some respectibilty.

But behaviour like this makes it certain (even though it was already) that this is a Sony run site. Which I've no problem with - if they explain what that means, rather than making a blog that is clearly designed to fool people into thinking this is "honest" enthusiasm.

Lave II on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    tarnok wrote: »

One Lave's part or threespeech's?

Threespeech. Unless I misunderstand the situation, Lave was just being an enormous geek.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • SambobSambob Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Don't know why people have a hard time understanding this:
    Threespeech is funded by Sony.

There's no doubt or ambiguity. The bad part is that they're so fugging coy about it.

Sambob on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's truly a sad statement when I saw this topic and immediately thought "Well, no shit. They're paid by Sony."

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Sambob wrote: »

The bad part is that they're so fugging coy about it.

Thats exactly my point. I've no problem them deleting my comments - it's their site. I just want some honesty about what they are. Some explanation.

And pretending to have not deleted comments to the end user deciet to the maximum.

If you've got a troll or something, you delete his comments loudly. And make a fuss. Show them they are out of line. However If you think they may have a point, then it appears you do it quietly and create a false website just for them to hope they don't post again.

Lave II on
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've seen this technology advertised before for blogging sites, where comments are deleted from everyone but the sender, but this is usually touted as a way to deter ad posters. That is, the poster still believes his/her ad is still on the comments list and so won't repost them.

First time I've heard of it used outside this scenario though.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Trust Sony to do it I suppose.

electricitylikesme on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

There's no doubt or ambiguity. The bad part is that they're so fugging coy about it.

Pretty much everyone here (except maybe Unco-ordinated... where's he been?) realizes that Threespeech = Sony. There's really no debate, other than why Sony continues the charade. I mean, hell, everyone knows by now that Major Nelson = Microsoft, and no one really cares.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Pretty much everyone here (except maybe Unco-ordinated... where's he been?) realizes that Threespeech = Sony. There's really no debate, other than why Sony continues the charade. I mean, hell, everyone knows by now that Major Nelson = Microsoft, and no one really cares.

but Nelson is unashamedly MS, he doesn't hide it under some veil of faux independence.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Why should they come out? Do you hold any right over them?

I am not at all pleased by the delusion to have "Free Speach." The company website, much like the PA website, is owned by individuals. You are welcome to post a comment there, by all means, but it will have their own rules you must follow.

Seriously the whole post was a troll thing mocking Threespeech and Sony. No wonder it got deleted.

Katchem_ash on
  • SambobSambob Registered User new member
    edited June 2007

I am not at all pleased by the delusion to have "Free Speach." The company website, much like the PA website, is owned by individuals. You are welcome to post a comment there, by all means, but it will have their own rules you must follow.

Seriously the whole post was a troll thing mocking Threespeech and Sony. No wonder it got deleted.

So, just what rank do you hold in the SDF, exactly? I'm thinking, lieutenant at least. Keep up the good work, soldier!

Sambob on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

So, just what rank do you hold in the SDF, exactly? I'm thinking, lieutenant at least. Keep up the good work, soldier!

Thanks.

Katchem_ash on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bah, the internet already knows they're full of shit. That's the important thing.

Just another nail in the coffin for Sony gaming division.

It's a coffin made of nails.

Endomatic on
    edited June 2007

As I said I didn't mind them deleting it because it is there site. But there is honest and dirty ways of doing it and they did it the dirty way.

And if you read the further comments I made their that got replies from one of th eguys in the podcast - I wasn't trolling - I was just asking that they explain what the website is. And if you've listened to the whole podcast, you'll be amazed at how civil I was.

I've no problem with independent websites, I've no problem with corperate websites. I do have a problem with "advertisement feature" blogs that are purely a corparate advertising and comunicating mechanism - but pretend to be otherwise.

Yes of course we all understand what we are. But we are not Gamefaqs. A lot of people will be fooled.

It seems like the alliwantforxmasisapsp site inspired this but with a slightly differenent approach.

Lave II on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's one thing I wonder. Nintendo aims for the general public. Kids, adults, old people, gamers, non-gamers. Sony, however, clearly stated that the PS3 was more powerful and more expensive because they aim for the hardcore gamers, right? The kind of people who will spend a lot on gaming and huge TVs and such to play their games at their best.

If hardcore gamers are the target instead of the uninformed public, why do they keep underestimating us with shit like this? It seems to me that the people they want to sell PS3s to are *mostly* those who will see the bullshit behind that website.

Djiem on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

And if they are being retarded sneaky fuckers about it people should know. Especially since it blatantly contradicts their stated policy.

The problem isn't the people like us who know that is Sony propaganda. The problem is the people getting into the market and will be swayed by what is arguably complete and total bullshit.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • PendegastPendegast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    If hardcore gamers are the target instead of the uninformed public, why do they keep underestimating us with shit like this? It seems to me that the people they want to sell PS3s to are *mostly* those who will see the bullshit behind that website.

Apparently because the marketing people aren't gamers, and they think that "hardcore gamer" = "mouthbreathing moron who will believe anything." No matter how many times Sony's marketing has fallen on its face for that exact mistake, they still aren't getting the point that the audience they're aiming at is more educated than they want to believe. Remember AllIWantforXmasisaPSP? They actually think we talk like that.

Was it Einstein who defined insanity as doing the same thing again and again, and expecting different results?

Pendegast on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007

Because the people making the decisions likely have no goddamned clue about their target demographic. I've worked on many, many projects, and am well familiar with the problem of someone at the top running the show who has no idea what games or gamers are like. I don't doubt for a second that Sony's PR and Marketing departments are staffed with people going, "Okay, we need to target this hard-core <insert little finger quotes here> market. Since these people only play games, and games rot your brain, they're probably not very bright. What do we do with this?"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It always saddens me that most companies think that "hardcore gamers" are 12 year olds with an income of about 1 million a year.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pretty bad form on Threespeech's part. To be frank, if I were them, I'd censor and be open about doing it. There's no reason to put up a false front wherein you pretend to have some sort of egalitarianism; simply state "it's our board. If we don't like what we see, we'll nuke it. Deal with it."

Surely the partisan forum of a given manufacturer of electronic goods can't be considered an unbiased place. Nintendo locks their forum down, I can't get through the mindlessness of Xbox.com to check. Threespeech isn't really that interesting so I only tune in for the scoops - reading the comments on most gaming posts is a complete waste of time. (and let's be straight - "we're not playstation"? Yeah fucking right).

You made a good point with your post Lave. It's a shame they've tried to make you go quietly into the night - but I can't say I'm surprised.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited June 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

And if they are being retarded sneaky fuckers about it people should know. Especially since it blatantly contradicts their stated policy.

The problem isn't the people like us who know that is Sony propaganda. The problem is the people getting into the market and will be swayed by what is arguably complete and total bullshit.

Damn straight.

And the Irony of such a site's name being a pun of "Free speech" is just pouring salt into the wound.

Lave II on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Meh, tip this to Digg or Joystiq or whatever. It'll soon get around.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited June 2007
    Ohh. Might as well do that.

Lave II on
    edited June 2007
    Well, I just rushed a badly written write up of "the events" and submitted them to digg.

It's here in case you want to see it and feel like "digging."

Lave II on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

There's also the fact that it's fucking illegal to conceal paid sponsorship and claim journalistic independence in order to promote a product in probably every single country they sell PS3s in.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »

There's also the fact that it's fucking illegal to conceal paid sponsorship and claim journalistic independence in order to promote a product in probably every single country they sell PS3s in.

On a website? Doubt it.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pendegast wrote: »

Apparently because the marketing people aren't gamers, and they think that "hardcore gamer" = "mouthbreathing moron who will believe anything." No matter how many times Sony's marketing has fallen on its face for that exact mistake, they still aren't getting the point that the audience they're aiming at is more educated than they want to believe. Remember AllIWantforXmasisaPSP? They actually think we talk like that.

Was it Einstein who defined insanity as doing the same thing again and again, and expecting different results?

That was a cable TV commercial.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I want to know why the hell they decided to pretend to be semi-independent. www.feedyourpsp.com admitted to being funded by Sony.

Couscous on
  • Final_Assassin_42Final_Assassin_42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I downloaded just to see how much it sucked. I'm still in the first five minutes where they won't shut the fuck up about what Sony console or Sony game they just played.

There's two wonderful machines I want to introduce these guys to; a 360 and a Wii.

Final_Assassin_42 on
    In memoriam; Douglas Adams-1952-2001.
    I frag, therefore I am.
    Just once, I'd like to be able to go on XBL, and NOT be called a mother-fucker.
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No need to get lippy - there's good gaming to be had on a PS3, PSP and PS2. Also: you probably shouldn't be surprised when a Sony focused blog/podcast/shill site focuses... you know... on Sony stuff.

Please note: This doesn't excuse the shillery or censorship, but introducing a 360 and a Wii to ThreeSpeech? You might as well try to push a Mac on Steve Ballmer.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited June 2007
    yeah. I'd be kinda surprised to hear Major Nelson go "well, you know Gears of War was all sorts of fun, but you guys really need to check out Resistance. Man, that was a total change of pace".

If you're going to complain, do as Lave here has done, and complain about the right thing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, viral marketing isn't new. Microsoft has an entire webcomic dedicated to Xbox. :P

Djiem on
    edited June 2007
    Well, viral marketing isn't new. Microsoft has an entire webcomic dedicated to Xbox. :P

oohhhhhhh SNAP!

again though, it's not even that. Have a corporate-owned blog to promote your product, sure. Allow people to leave comments, and filter the ones that you don't want people to read? Okay, it's your toy, you can play with it. But employing a system to make people think their comments and questions are still up, when they've been taken down for everyone else? That's underhanded.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png