As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terra Drive Live (PAX Convention Game)

• Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JackKieser wrote: »
    So, does this mean that all of the color factions now have faction leaders?

--Jack Kieser
    No. I'm in talks with an online clan to take over the Bleeding Hearts. I should know soon.

--Tony
    An online clan that is going to PAX? Sounds fun. ;-) Hmmm I wonder how many members they have going to PAX. Shoot we could out number everyone!

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Buraisu wrote: »
    So, does this mean that all of the color factions now have faction leaders?

--Jack Kieser
    No. I'm in talks with an online clan to take over the Bleeding Hearts. I should know soon.

--Tony
    An online clan that is going to PAX? Sounds fun. ;-) Hmmm I wonder how many members they have going to PAX. Shoot we could out number everyone!

Well sure, the mindless majority marches onward!
    That's because the links are different... but it seems like that was... known all along!

*bum bum buuum*

What does this mean?!

--Jack Kieser

Looks like in game e-vangelism, hehe.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    QthoogaQthooga Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For my noobish first post, I will say that I'm in, still don't know what this is, but I'll do it anyway since I'm actually going.

Qthooga on
  • Options
    Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Qthooga wrote: »
    For my noobish first post, I will say that I'm in, still don't know what this is, but I'll do it anyway since I'm actually going.
    Welcome to the fray, Qthooga.

Since this is the first year TerraDrive Live is being held, I can tell you that we're all noobs. You can get all the information you need at www.terradrive.net.

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Qthooga wrote: »

Welcome merc! Perhaps you would like to join the Radicals, my faction. I want to get to you before the others do. Remeber, the other factions may talk big, but only the Radicals truly defend the pople.
    See my sig for linky ^^

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HexcoreHexcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Radicals will try to fill your head with talk about defending the people, and being for the little guy. I just hope those things give you comfort, when one of their Buzzsaw wielding anarchist's has a disagreement with you.

Now if you like cutting edge Tech and a generous retirement package, let me show the Ultima Corporation new hire info

Hexcore on
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hah, "retirement package"... that is, of course, assuming they need you for that long. If not, you might be "retiring" a bit earlier than you expect.

--Jack Kieser

JackKieser on

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hexcore wrote: »
    The Radicals will try to fill your head with talk about defending the people, and being for the little guy. I just hope those things give you comfort, when one of their Buzzsaw wielding anarchist's has a disagreement with you.

Now if you like cutting edge Tech and a generous retirement package, let me show the Ultima Corporation new hire info.
    e wrote:
    Lulled into a false security with the latest toys, the pawns march forth, like lemmings to their own demise.

All tools are as effective as their masters, not their creators.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
    Go ahead and cheat a friend.
    Do it in the name of Heaven,
    You can justify it in the end.
    There won't be any trumpets blowing
    Come the judgement day,
    On the bloody morning after....
    One tin soldier rides away.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well I'm up for whatever this is. *clicks links*

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have an announcement:

The PMS Clan has agreed to take over the 4th remaining color faction.

Be afraid.

It has not yet been determined whether they are going to assume the Bleeding Hearts role or take the faction in a new/different direction. Stay tuned.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Lucky me ;-). I mean, it will be fun crushing the other color factions with Clan PMS.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Thread cleaned

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Email from the Hellman received and replied.

Moe is funny, let's censor smack talking!

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I didn't censor it, I moved it. If you have a problem with that, then don't get out of line and you won't have to worry about it. Now let's keep this thread on topic.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    yoshi1001230yoshi1001230 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok I read every post in this thread and I'm still a bit confused as to how this works.... :(
    I feel dumb, and I'm sure some of you think I am for not understanding the concept of this but can somebody break it down for me please.

yoshi1001230 on
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok I read every post in this thread and I'm still a bit confused as to how this works.... :(
    I feel dumb, and I'm sure some of you think I am for not understanding the concept of this but can somebody break it down for me please.

Don't feel dumb. This thread isn't a great place to actually learn the game. For a good overview, check "TerraDrive Live" on Wikipedia. For more information about the rules, see www.terradrive.net and read everything in the TerraDrive Live link.

I'd break it down for you here, but I'm in a hurry right now but I wanted to get something out to you right away. Can someone else give yoshi and other newcomers watching a basic breakdown, please?

Thanks!

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    samer791samer791 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, the Crossbones are staking out La 'an, the Radicals are claiming Ta'eltop, where are Bleeding Heart and Ultima setting bases? And Jack- are your mercs charging passage like the Radicals? I like the concept, Aioua, and it may be a good idea for other factions to use it, too.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Purple, convince me otherwise. I'm against Ultima's monopolization on the military, but which faction will help me fight this fight? I know what you all stand for, now what will you do to accomplish your mission?

Also, idea for faction hierarchs: Factions who are fighting a common enemy should hold conference calls or some means of communication so that they can talk strategy. A multi-faction task force might be very effective.

Question: How will there be communication between the upper members of the factions and the grunts? For example, if intelligence on enemy leaders needs to be gathered, how will an expendable merc be deployed to gather the information? What kind of communication will be available, and how will it be possible to create an organized force if most players find out about the game at PAX itself?

Who, excluding Ultima, will be the most effective at their goal, and therefore be my faction of choice?

Sorry about the stream of conciousness post.

samer791 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The Radicals have no qualms with the other factions, provided they stay in their places. However, PAX is a cramped star system, so we're expecting to rub shoulders a bit. If someone steps to far, we will not hesitate to liberate the planet that they control. That is our mission.

As for organization, that might be a mite tricky. So far there is only one player created faction (independent faction or faction under a color faction). We also have no idea how many people are going to want to play. I figure the vast majority are going to decide to play when they notice the life token in their bag. I've got ideas on how to organize, though it will depend on who joins up. Ideally some of the pre-reg Radicals on the wiki will step up and be our faction leaders, so we can plan a bit in advance.

It's everyone's first time, so we'll see how it goes. (badly, for the other factions ;p)

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    samer791 wrote: »
    where are Bleeding Heart and Ultima setting bases?

Not sure on the Hearts; we're pretty much waiting to see what PMS clan's plans are since they are our new overlords. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    samer791samer791 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've started an espionage group that isn't really a faction. People can come from all the factions beyond Ultima to join, and they would still be part of their faction, just working for us as well. We would charge a fee to factions to send an agent to shadow a member of any faction who was aiding Ultima and deliver the information.

If we aren't actually a faction (since we won't have enough members), and are just a multi-faction group, will that be okay in-game wise?

Also: Is there really any penalty for when a leader is killed? Does the faction get eliminated from the rankings?

And finally: Will there be any way to tell faction leaders beyond the fact that they will be traveling with a posse? Will photos be posted by the leaders?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Your fellow TerraDrive Live n00b,

Samer 791, Pen Guns for Hire

samer791 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Faction leaders will carry a faction leader card. If they're defeated, even once, they must surrender the card. I assume they equal massive points. I don't know if it removes the faction from the ranking entirely, though.

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    skarsol wrote: »
    where are Bleeding Heart and Ultima setting bases?

Not sure on the Hearts; we're pretty much waiting to see what PMS clan's plans are since they are our new overlords. :)
    I put a welcome message for Clan PMS on the talk page for Bleeding Hearts but their hasn't been any action yet. D:

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So, the Crossbones are staking out La 'an, the Radicals are claiming Ta'eltop, where are Bleeding Heart and Ultima setting bases? And Jack- are your mercs charging passage like the Radicals? I like the concept, Aioua, and it may be a good idea for other factions to use it, too.

One thing to note: TDL play is banned from the LAN room, so CBX can hang around out front if they want, but they won't be able to interdict those inside. To answer your question, I suggest some group take over the skybridge, for one thing.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Aioua wrote: »
    Faction leaders will carry a faction leader card. If they're defeated, even once, they must surrender the card. I assume they equal massive points. I don't know if it removes the faction from the ranking entirely, though.

A Faction Leader kill is 1 Documented Assassination. Highest number of DAs is the top faction. Very simple.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    edited August 2007
    I've started an espionage group that isn't really a faction. People can come from all the factions beyond Ultima to join, and they would still be part of their faction, just working for us as well. We would charge a fee to factions to send an agent to shadow a member of any faction who was aiding Ultima and deliver the information.

If we aren't actually a faction (since we won't have enough members), and are just a multi-faction group, will that be okay in-game wise?.

You can theoretically be a one person faction, actually. But to answer your question: Registering a faction just buys you a Faction Leader card and the ability to be your own group that can take out other Faction Leaders. That's it. Whatever else you do is your business.
    Also: Is there really any penalty for when a leader is killed? Does the faction get eliminated from the rankings?

Nope. You just look bad. We may track how many times your faction leader gets capped, just so everyone knows who sucks.
    And finally: Will there be any way to tell faction leaders beyond the fact that they will be traveling with a posse? Will photos be posted by the leaders?

THAT is a VERY good question. I think we'll require faction leaders to wear two wristbands. That's a decent solution, I think.
    Sorry for all of the questions.

Don't be! I'd rather you ask then not ask. I have wikilove for all wikinoobs. Its all good.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Bouncing an idea off you guys.
    As you know the Radicals have extended their protection to the planet of Ta'letop. Mercs affiliated with other colors will be required to pay for safe passage. Since I don't know the logistics of the planet (its number of entrances and exits, for one), I'm thinking of providing my commanders with stickers to hand out to those who paid us tribute. That way we could tell who has paid and who is infiltrating. The only concern is the poor planet being covered in them after a day or so.
    I don't think that will happen, though, for a couple of reasons.
    1. We won't be handing them out willy-nilly. If you give a sticker to every schmoe who walks by, you can guarantee someone will slap it up on a wall. The only people getting the stickers will me TDL players who: a. paid for them, and b. care about the game. (cause if they didn't care they wouldn't pay^^)
    2. From what I've heard PAXgoers have a good rep with leaving the place nice and non-destroyed. So I can imagine people who want to play the game won't be vandals.

So yeah. If you guys think its a bad idea, or it makes the enforcers nervous (understandably), than I can just do little slips or something. But stickers would be cool.

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, it's been a while since I've logged on the forums... I have some catching up to do.

As for the stuff about La'an... we have beef with Ultima. If we see any Ultima mercs heading for/lurking in our territory, they will be "dealt with"accordingly. We aren't planning on charging a toll for any other factions, yet... but I guess it all depends on how faction relations go in the days leading up to, as well as the first day of, PAX.

Since we can't actually go INTO La'an, I'm betting we'll just be policing the area accordingly. After all, we ARE about free tech for all, not really "controlling" La'an, so it would be in our best interests to protect La'an from Ultima, instead of just occupying it.

Aioua, I agree with your idea on stickers or something to that effect; from what I saw at last year's PAX, that place was damn near spotless, even with all the extra papers and such that were given out every day, so I wouldn't worry about people messing up the place too much; they're pretty respectful.

--Jack Kieser

JackKieser on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, it's been a while since I've logged on the forums... I have some catching up to do.

As for the stuff about La'an... we have beef with Ultima. If we see any Ultima mercs heading for/lurking in our territory, they will be "dealt with"accordingly. We aren't planning on charging a toll for any other factions, yet... but I guess it all depends on how faction relations go in the days leading up to, as well as the first day of, PAX.

Since we can't actually go INTO La'an, I'm betting we'll just be policing the area accordingly. After all, we ARE about free tech for all, not really "controlling" La'an, so it would be in our best interests to protect La'an from Ultima, instead of just occupying it.

Aioua, I agree with your idea on stickers or something to that effect; from what I saw at last year's PAX, that place was damn near spotless, even with all the extra papers and such that were given out every day, so I wouldn't worry about people messing up the place too much; they're pretty respectful.

--Jack Kieser

I'm not positive (Fehlauer or Khoo can correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the Convention Center has a sticker ban. Something easier/cheaper, is why don't you initial someone's Life Token so you know they've paid their toll. Then they can show it and its all good.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So they have to pay a life token and carry an initialed life token? How about initial their wristband? :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, sticker ban.
    I can just make little passes they can stick in with their life token. (Initializing's no good. To easy to copy, and you can't make them re-up for saturday ^^)

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What are the tokens going to be made out of? If they can be marked on, we might consider investing in some kind of stamp or something. The wristband idea is good, too, since players are required to wear their wristbands during play.

--Jack Kieser

JackKieser on

• Options
    Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *Just got herself in the mail* Yay :D I can't wait pax is soo close! Btw Moe! your crazy for drive across Country o.o

Soda241 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A question (probably for tony):
    Can the factions put literature out at the kill stations, be it "join our faction because we're awesome"
    and/or "welcome to our faction now go do this..."
    Seems like that would help a lot in organizing.

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can the factions put literature out at the kill stations, be it "join our faction because we're awesome"

Bah, you had to ask. What kind of radical are you. :P

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's a good question, Aioua. I was thinking along those lines, but with like phone numbers or something, like, "Thanks for joining, now call your superior at this # for your assignment."

I didn't even think about paper stuff, but if that is OK'ed, we better get started on it, since we only have 9 days left... :)

--Jack Kieser

JackKieser on

• Options
    edited August 2007

This is a good idea. I'll put it together based on what is posted on your faction pages at the TerraDrive Universe. People won't have time to read a ton of literature while they are picking (otherwise the lines will get really long), so I'm going to narrow it to like 3 lines per faction.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So I've finally had some time to check out the PAX forums and having read all the material I can find on TDL I still have no idea how it is played.

Did I miss a page that was titles "here are the really obvious things that someone whose never played a LARP needs to read but the rest of us take for granted"?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    So I've finally had some time to check out the PAX forums and having read all the material I can find on TDL I still have no idea how it is played.

Did I miss a page that was titles "here are the really obvious things that someone whose never played a LARP needs to read but the rest of us take for granted"?

This isn't a LARP, and the term MMLARPG is causing some confusion, so we're changing it to Massive RPG (MRPG). The ruleset is all you really need, and your faction leader (if you have a faction) should be able to hook you up with whatever other information you need.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Here's the rules page. The game itself is basically rock-paper-scissors on crack. The role playing and factions is where the fun comes in.

OffTopic: Tony, did you get my email?

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OffTopic: Tony, did you get my email?

Yep, I got it. Thanks.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press