As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!]Warsow. It's awesome and it's free, ok?

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
www.warsow.net

This game is 100% free.

From the website:
The concept of Warsow

Warsow is a free standalone first person shooter game for Windows and Linux. It is based on the Qfusion 3D engine (a modification of the Quake 2 GPL engine), and aimed on the competitive scene, or the e-sports community.

Warsow is developped under the motto "by gamers for gamers" by a team coming from all kinds of gaming backgrounds. To attain the "by gamers for gamers" spirit, the community are our betatesters, both through internal testing sessions (with community members) and in the feedback on the public releases. We make decisions in close cooperation with the community. However, we do have our own general development direction, and therefor will carefully judge all suggestions and critique made by the community. This way we try to reach a balance between the general consensus on gameplay aspects in the community, and what we feel is best for Warsow's gameplay and concept in the development process.

The base gameplay is focussed around the art of movement, meaning moving, speed and tricks play a big part in the gameplay. Besides this, mapcontrol, aim, teamplay and fragging skills play their role too. For the movement we've basicly looked at four games: Quakeworld (legendary for it's speed), Quake3 CPMA, Jet Set Radio and Speedball.

Another twist in gameplay is Warsow's weapon system. Warsow has two firing modes for each weapon; by picking up a weapon, you will be equipped with the standard (weak) ammo for the weapon, but when you pick up an ammo pack, you will equip your weapon with special (strong) ammo. Weapons may have different damage or slightly different behaviour depending on what ammo you use: for instance: the weak electrobolt (Warsow’s rail) is a high speed projectile, whereas the electrobolt with strong ammo is instant hit. This way, not only control of health and armor plays a role, but getting strong ammo is a valid way to create a comeback.

Visually, we try to cater to the fast gameplay Warsow provides. To keep the focus on competitive gaming, visibility is an important aspect in Warsow. Using a celshaded, cartoon-like style on the maps, textures, and models we try to combine good visibility, suitable for competitive gameplay, with having a unique, attractive and personal style. We try to keep the graphic effects minimalistic, clear and visible.

We try to use Warsow as a platform to make e-sports, or competitive FPS gaming, available to a broad audience. With Warsow’s low system requirements, relatively small filesize and easy installation procedure, we try to make Warsow as accessible as possible for anyone to try out. In future versions we will focuss on this aspect more, and try to provide more support for players new to the FPS scene, by for example providing movement tutorials in the form of demos, and tutorial maps.

What This Game Doesn't Have:

Headshots, Realism, Machine Guns, Huge Maps, Vehicles, Fancy Graphics, Rebounding Health, Expanding Crosshairs, Terrorists, Buy Menus.

What This Game Does Have:

Fast, interesting gameplay that rewards skill and ingenuity more than raw aim. Well balanced weapons. Good maps. Configing. Strafe-jumping, bunny hopping, circle-jumps, double-jumps, slope-jumps and WALL-JUMPS!!! Sweet cell-shaded graphics that are designed for visibility, not pointless prettiness.

The screenshots are all really huge. So that I don't piss too many people off I'll just link to the screenshots section of the website at the bottom of this post.

If you're still interested then go to the website and download the game. It's not that big, about 80 or 90mbs. If you'd like a way to find servers than get Qtracker, which is an excellent ASE alternative. If you're interested in playing I will make a channel on Quakenet, an IRC server, called #warsow.pa and idle there most of the night. Anyone who'd like to learn more about the movement in the game can ask me and I'll try and teach them as best I can, though I'm still learning it myself.

Also, just because the game is rooted in and meant for high-end competitive play doesn't mean that to play it you have to be a high-level competitor. I play the game for fun and so do many others. You can still get as good as you want to, but getting better will be its own reward, especially when it comes to the movement.

Further resources:

Warsow Movement School 0: Dashing and Walljumps
Warsow Movement School 1: Bunny Hopping
Warsow Movement School 2: Strafe Jumping
Warsow Screenshots
Another Movement How-To. The music sucks, but the video is okay.

There I fixed the topic title. I hope you're happy now.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And... what makes this the true next gen fps? Sub-par graphics, gameplay thats sounds a good amount like that one korean game(Forget the name, you could wall run/etc). If you want to say its fun, go for it, I won't argue stuff like that. I just don't see what makes this not only next gen, but more next gen than anything else.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Before I even download this, why should I play this instead of UT2004 (a 3 year old game as implied by the name)

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, I call it next-gen because I think the "by-players-for-players" development is a wonderful idea and the game has made movement such an absolute core gameplay element, even more so than Quake, that it's actually slightly awe-inspiring. Just look at a good player run around a map; poetry in motion. I could have more fun just running around in circles in this game than I could in 50 counter-strike clones.

It is nothing at all like that Korean game, which, for the record, sucks.

Play it over UT because it is a better, deeper, more rewarding game.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I hate your game just because of your crazy infomercial pushy attitude.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hey! I'm trying to sell something here! How can I generate interest if I half-ass it?

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    Well, I call it next-gen because I think the "by-players-for-players" development is a wonderful idea and the game has made movement such an absolute core gameplay element, even more so than Quake, that it's actually slightly awe-inspiring. Just look at a good player run around a map; poetry in motion. I could have more fun just running around in circles in this game than I could in 50 counter-strike clones.

So, its next gen because it was made by game players for free, and movement is important and done differently.

Game players have been making games for years. Mods, things like DOTA, free independant games. Hey, that mod I made for BF1942 in 2003 is next-gen, right? By players for players.

Movement has been very important in games for years too.

Seriously. You're masturbating all over the forum, and while that may be great for you, it doesn't look good to us, and it turns us off from you. Unless you have an incredible cock.

God, my metaphors are the best.

Raslin on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Next-gen? Didn't Quake III arena have wall jumping and bunny hopping?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't Bunny hopping/Strafe Jumping the kinda things that people hate and want to get rid of? OR put it another way, I think by-the players-for-players is a bit of a misnomer. Maybe by-the-hardcore-for-hardcore would be more apt.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

So, its next gen because it was made by game players for free, and movement is important and done differently.

Game players have been making games for years. Mods, things like DOTA, free independant games. Hey, that mod I made for BF1942 in 2003 is next-gen, right? By players for players.

Seriously. You're masturbating all over the forum, and while that may be great for you, it doesn't look good to us, and it turns us off from you. Unless you have an incredible cock.

I'm sorry for offending you, but in this case my cock is beyond incredible. Maybe next-gen was a little much, but it is beyond anything else around.

Movement in other games has NEVER been this important. A few Q3 mods approached it, but that's about it. And QW, maybe.

Quake 3 did not have wall jumping or bunny hoping. Quake 1 had bunny hopping and CPMA, a Quake 3 mod, had bunny hopping, but wall jumping is totally new and totally awesome. I'm serious.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What This Game Doesn't Have:

Headshots, Realism, Machine Guns, Huge Maps, Vehicles, Fancy Graphics, Rebounding Health, Expanding Crosshairs, Terrorists, Buy Menus.

This would seem to indicate that the gameplay is, in fact, not quite as deep as UT2K4. Care to elaborate on how it actually is a deeper experience?

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What the hell is deep about any of that. As far as I'm concerned each one of those is a gimmick and adds no lasting value to the gameplay experience.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm positive there was another FPS with wall hopping. Regardless, it's not next-gen, and I wouldn't say it's "beyond anything else" either.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but your trying to sell us on it being so totally new and fresh and I'm just not seeing it.

EDIT: Huge maps don't increase gameplay value?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What the hell is deep about any of that. As far as I'm concerned each one of those is a gimmick and adds no lasting value to the gameplay experience.

Goodbye.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I'm sorry for offending you, but in this case my cock is beyond incredible. Maybe next-gen was a little much, but it is beyond anything else around.

Movement in other games has NEVER been this important. A few Q3 mods approached it, but that's about it. And QW, maybe.

Quake 3 did not have wall jumping or bunny hoping. Quake 1 had bunny hopping and CPMA, a Quake 3 mod, had bunny hopping, but wall jumping is totally new and totally awesome. I'm serious.

Again, wall jumping is not new. GUNZ had it for example

Again, what makes your cock so awesome? Movement is important. Thats it? One feature makes this game so incredible?

Look. If you wanted to really get this across, there's just a few things you needed to do.

1. Talk about what you like about the game. Mention that its got fast-paced gameplay, movement plays an integral role, etc.
    2. Talk about how its free, so even if you don't like it, you haven't wasted anything.
    3. Not tout it as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    4. Avoid terms like pointless prettiness. Thats just code for "We didn't have good enough artists".

Raslin on

• Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

By now it's safe to assume that you're either a stupid troll or with a group of developers who know jack about shit about good gameplay.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm positive there was another FPS with wall hopping. Regardless, it's not next-gen, and I wouldn't say it's "beyond anything else" either.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but your trying to sell us on it being so totally new and fresh and I'm just not seeing it.

EDIT: Huge maps don't increase gameplay value?

UT has wall jumps

Rook on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And... what makes this the true next gen fps? Sub-par graphics, gameplay thats sounds a good amount like that one korean game(Forget the name, you could wall run/etc). If you want to say its fun, go for it, I won't argue stuff like that. I just don't see what makes this not only next gen, but more next gen than anything else.

Gunz Online: The Duel.

Fun game, though Shadowrun plays much like a better-done sequel to it.

Suriko on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I downloaded it, I plan on trying it out sometime tomorrow. It sounded cool to me, although I do like me some headshots.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I should have known this was the wrong place.

No, huge maps do not increase the gameplay value. What is the point of having to run around forever to find things? Also, I don't like snipping or camping.

I don't mean to really hate on UT, I just don't think it's as good a series as the Quake series. I'm sorry, but it's what I think.

Also, in terms of DM-oriented, fast gameplay, Warsow IS the next step. The emphasis placed on on so many things that aren't pure aim and reaction time, as well as the revolutionary(it is, whether you like it or not) movement system just bump it above the rest. They did not reinvent the wheel, but they did do quite a lot to make it better than it ever was before.

At least check it out before you completely condemn it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, has anyone actually tried this? I do enjoy old-school FPS gameplay, but I'm curious if there's anything in this game that actually makes it more appealing than the currently established crop of these types of games (such as Quake 3, Painkiller, etc). It sounds neat, but I'm not seeing much to really pull me in.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Man, machine guns are such a gimmick. Nobody likes more weapon choices.

Realism? Seriously, who doesn't like arcade gameplay? Communists, thats who.

Large maps? Gimmick, everybody wants to be confined to small areas.

Graphics? Gimmick. People prefer things to look bad. Obviously.

Expanding crosshairs? You're joking, guns should always stay as accurate as they start, no matter how much you move or shoot. If you disagree, you're a noob.

Buy menu's? Money has been proven through history to be a gimmick.

*Not all people like these things, but to say they are all gimmicks/bad is complete retardism.

Raslin on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm a pretty big fan of small maps to tell you the truth. And not all games need to be realistic. I know he said they are gimmicks and thats not really true, but all he is trying to say is this game is diffrent from "every" other FPS you've played for the past few years. I mean it IS free. Might as well try it once, I've got a few free gig's and havn't had a new FPS I've really loved in a while.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    So, has anyone actually tried this? I do enjoy old-school FPS gameplay, but I'm curious if there's anything in this game that actually makes it more appealing than the currently established crop of these types of games (such as Quake 3, Painkiller, etc). It sounds neat, but I'm not seeing much to really pull me in.

I gave it a try once. It didn't grip me nearly as much as Q3A.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not all bad, but I think I prefer Q3 and UT2004 to this.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    .:Orion.:Orion Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played this with a friend a couple of times, it's a great and it does feel quite different from other FPSes. Finding people of your skill level to play with is the hard part though. Fighting someone that moves around about 3-4 times as fast as you isn't a lot of fun :P

.:Orion on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

No, huge maps do not increase the gameplay value. What is the point of having to run around forever to find things? Also, I don't like snipping or camping.

I don't mean to really hate on UT, I just don't think it's as good a series as the Quake series. I'm sorry, but it's what I think.

Also, in terms of DM-oriented, fast gameplay, Warsow IS the next step. The emphasis placed on on so many things that aren't pure aim and reaction time, as well as the revolutionary(it is, whether you like it or not) movement system just bump it above the rest. They did not reinvent the wheel, but they did do quite a lot to make it better than it ever was before.

You've lost me, bud. We definitely have different tastes, so I think I'll skip.

Besides, I don't have the space on my HD.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Sorry, we don't like elitists, especially when what they are shilling is hardly elite.

You don't like huge maps? Good for you. Doesn't make them a gimmick. Good map design solves "running around forever". Plenty of people like sniping, and camping is preventable by good developers.

Finally! An opinion, clearly marked at that. Do that more, we'll respect you more.

Shit, you're right back to it. "Warsow IS the next step." This makes you seem like an elitist retard. Just because you like something, doesn't make it the next step. The movement is not revolutionary, ffs. If you moved in four dimensions, that would be revolutionary. The movement is evolutionary if anything, and only slightly. GUNZ had similar features. Plenty of games had fast paced movement. Merging concepts from different games, and putting emphasis on them? NOT REVOLUTIONARY.

Again. Talk about the things you enjoy, don't do it like a pompous ass.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    For real. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm an avid trickjumper— but I learned to trick playing Sourceforts. I think the reason we're seeing migration away from pure DM gameplay to large scale team and objective oriented combat as technology supports it is simply that, for a lot of people, it's just more fun.

It's cool that you prefer old school FPS action, but simply because a game codifies your particular niche doesn't make it "revolutionary" or even "the next step". It's just that: a niche.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ok, ok. I get it. You're right, I was being a little(a lot) overzealous.

Headshots and machine guns, they aren't complete gimmicks. What I was trying to get across in the OP was that this game is meant to be fast and unrealistic. There are a lot of new players who get into the game and start complaining about it being too fast, etc., and I was trying to head that off. If you like your games to be bigger and slower than Quake then stay away. I don't mean anything bad by that, but if that's how you like your games -- and that's fine with me -- then this game probably won't be for you.

If, however, you're looking for something old-school, but also leaps and bounds beyond, then this game is right up your alley.

And I am an elitist. I try and curb it, but sometimes it can't be helped. I'll cool off a bit.

My offers still stand. Come and give it a try. You'll probably get a kick out of it, at least.

The current gametypes are CA(rockets arena), DM, TDM, CTF, Duel(1v1) and instagib.

Look, I don't mean to be a prick, even though I am sometimes. I just happen to prefer a certain type of FPS. I'm sorry again for any offense.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ok, ok. I get it. You're right, I was being a little(a lot) overzealous.

Headshots and machine guns, they aren't complete gimmicks. What I was trying to get across in the OP was that this game is meant to be fast and unrealistic. There are a lot of new players who get into the game and start complaining about it being too fast, etc., and I was trying to head that off. If you like your games to be bigger and slower than Quake then stay away. I don't mean anything bad by that, but if that's how you like your games -- and that's fine with me -- then this game probably won't be for you.

If, however, you're looking for something old-school, but also leaps and bounds beyond, then this game is right up your alley.

And I am an elitist. I try and curb it, but sometimes it can't be helped. I'll cool off a bit.

My offers still stand. Come and give it a try. You'll probably get a kick out of it, at least.

The current gametypes are CA(rockets arena), DM, TDM, CTF, Duel(1v1) and instagib.

Look, I don't mean to be a prick, even though I am sometimes. I just happen to prefer a certain type of FPS. I'm sorry again for any offense.

You're not enough of an elitist to be a total prick when people attack you. :) I might give it a try later, but my HD is absolutely full.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can't believe you'd say machine guns and large maps are gimmicks, but proudly put that motherfucking "bunny hopping" thing in what the game DOES have. The day I'll find an FPS with mechanics that keep players from bunny hopping I'll buy 10 copies.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    I can't believe you'd say machine guns and large maps are gimmicks, but proudly put that motherfucking "bunny hopping" thing in what the game DOES have. The day I'll find an FPS with mechanics that keep players from bunny hopping I'll buy 10 copies.

Do you own stock in Ubisoft, or what?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

Has Ubisoft made an FPS with anti-bunny hopping? I'm not really a big FPS fan.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Uh, BF2142?

Can't shoot while jumping. Yeah, bunnyhopping doesn't really exist in that any more.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    And, about machine guns, I only meant them as a gimmick -- really, I didn't even mean it as a gimmick, more as a THING THAT ISN'T IN THIS GAME -- in the sense that there are many games now that just give you 40 variations on the same thing (machine guns and rifles) and then expect you to just have at it.

Warsow is the NEXT STEP in OLDSCHOOL style FPS games. It has NOTHING to do with CS, GR:AW, R6, BF or ET type games and I never meant to compare them directly. They shouldn't even be considered the same genre at this point.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    And, about machine guns, I only meant them as a gimmick -- really, I didn't even mean it as a gimmick, more as a THING THAT ISN'T IN THIS GAME -- in the sense that there are many games now that just give you 40 variations on the same thing (machine guns and rifles) and then expect you to just have at it.

Warsow is the NEXT STEP in OLDSCHOOL style FPS games. It has NOTHING to do with CS, GR:AW, R6, BF or ET type games and I never meant to compare them directly. They shouldn't even be considered the same genre at this point.

I don't know, I just tried it and really didn't like it. I actually find GunZ to be much better. A more deep, well-polished version of GunZ where we can host our own games would be pure win.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I don't know, I just tried it and really didn't like it. I actually find GunZ to be much better. A more deep, well-polished version of GunZ where we can host our own games would be pure win.

It is also nothing at all like GunZ and was never meant to be. The only comparable games are the Quake series and maybe a few of the UT games, and Painkiller, though not so much that.

And what the hell is wrong with bunny hopping anyway? Can you even define the term?

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2007

It is also nothing at all like GunZ and was never meant to be. The only comparable games are the Quake series and maybe a few of the UT games, and Painkiller, though not so much that.

And what the hell is wrong with bunny hopping anyway? Can you even define the term?

To me, bunny hopping usually refers to jumping around each other real close and shooting wildly. I hate that. I can't stand closing in to someone to finish him off, and then he just hops around me aimlessly. Picture a war in your head where soldiers circle their foes and jump their own height around shooting below.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

Has Ubisoft made an FPS with anti-bunny hopping? I'm not really a big FPS fan.

Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon haven't ever had jumping. At all.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Bunnyhopping: Jumping around like a 12 year old jackass.
    What's wrong with acting like a 12 year old? Adults are gimmicks. Everyone should act like that. When I walk places, I bunnyhop. You know, in case anyone's shooting at me, that way they'll definitely miss. (I live in a dangerous city.)

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.