As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On!]Warsow. It's awesome and it's free, ok?

• AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In fairness, that's not correct. Bunny hopping refers specifically to using jumping to exploit flaws in movement code to move very quickly.

Jumping around for no very good reason is not the same thing.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    Ok, ok. I get it. You're right, I was being a little(a lot) overzealous.

Headshots and machine guns, they aren't complete gimmicks. What I was trying to get across in the OP was that this game is meant to be fast and unrealistic. There are a lot of new players who get into the game and start complaining about it being too fast, etc., and I was trying to head that off. If you like your games to be bigger and slower than Quake then stay away. I don't mean anything bad by that, but if that's how you like your games -- and that's fine with me -- then this game probably won't be for you.

If, however, you're looking for something old-school, but also leaps and bounds beyond, then this game is right up your alley.

And I am an elitist. I try and curb it, but sometimes it can't be helped. I'll cool off a bit.

My offers still stand. Come and give it a try. You'll probably get a kick out of it, at least.

The current gametypes are CA(rockets arena), DM, TDM, CTF, Duel(1v1) and instagib.

Look, I don't mean to be a prick, even though I am sometimes. I just happen to prefer a certain type of FPS. I'm sorry again for any offense.

:) Now we can be friends.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jesus christ people.

I saw this thread on the front page, it looked somewhat intresting. Then I look at the replies.

WTF?

It's like someone yelled "LET'S LYNCH THIS MOTHERFUCKER!" and then everyone jumped in.

This whole thing makes me somewhat ashamed to even be a member of this forum community, that we're this abrasive and dick-ish.

It's an old school shooter, I don't see anyone making claims otherwise, if you don't like that then GTFO.

edit: I am now going to download the game and give it a fair evaluation. If I am truly disappointed with it I will come back to this thread and demand Page's first borne...but only after having actually tried it.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    And, about machine guns, I only meant them as a gimmick -- really, I didn't even mean it as a gimmick, more as a THING THAT ISN'T IN THIS GAME -- in the sense that there are many games now that just give you 40 variations on the same thing (machine guns and rifles) and then expect you to just have at it.

Warsow is the NEXT STEP in OLDSCHOOL style FPS games. It has NOTHING to do with CS, GR:AW, R6, BF or ET type games and I never meant to compare them directly. They shouldn't even be considered the same genre at this point.

I don't know, I just tried it and really didn't like it. I actually find GunZ to be much better. A more deep, well-polished version of GunZ where we can host our own games would be pure win.

It is also nothing at all like GunZ and was never meant to be. The only comparable games are the Quake series and maybe a few of the UT games, and Painkiller, though not so much that.

And what the hell is wrong with bunny hopping anyway? Can you even define the term?

To me, bunny hopping usually refers to jumping around each other real close and shooting wildly. I hate that. I can't stand closing in to someone to finish him off, and then he just hops around me aimlessly. Picture a war in your head where soldiers circle their foes and jump their own height around shooting below.

Well, I hate to say it but your definition is incorrect. Bunny hopping is a very specific movement in which you hold forward and jump while using your mouse to air control around obstacles without losing any movement speed. Which is different from strafe jumping, which is holding down forward+left_right and jumping while angling your mouse to build up speed exponentially. Jumping around like and idiot is just jumping around like an idiot and it has no place at all in Warsow.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited June 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    Jesus christ people.

I saw this thread on the front page, it looked somewhat intresting. Then I look at the replies.

WTF?

It's like someone yelled "LET'S LYNCH THIS MOTHERFUCKER!" and then everyone jumped in.

This whole thing makes me somewhat ashamed to even be a member of this forum community, that we're this abrasive and dick-ish.

It's an old school shooter, I don't see anyone making claims otherwise, if you don't like that then GTFO.

The OP was making claims like "The true next-gen fps", "Revolutionary", etc. Add this to being the guys first thread, afaik.

Just trying to help him in the future :P

Raslin on

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I guess I caught it after the edit then. It seems fairly modest at this point, especially the title.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Jesus christ people.

WTF?

The OP was making claims like "The true next-gen fps", "Revolutionary", etc. Add this to being the guys first thread, afaik.

Eh, this isn't my first thread, by far. And I was all "next-gen fps" and "revolutionary" ONLY IN TERMS OF OLDSCHOOL FPS'. I'm sorry if you guys didn't catch that, but my OP was just meant to keep people who don't like that kind of game away, not say that any other kind of game is bad.

Edit: The only edits I made to the OP were that the game is free and that I changed the topic title.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the newest version is definitely better than the first release, but it still feels too UTish to me movement and gun wise.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • S.S. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jesus christ people.

WTF?

I'm sorry, should he have started with "oh, well I guess it's an ok-ish FPS, you might want to give it a try - probably not though, it's not all that great"? IT'S THE MOTHERFUCKING OP OF A GAME ON THREAD OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO CLAIM IT'S THE BEST FUCKING THING EVER THAT'S WHAT OPS DO!

S. on
  • atkbobatkbob Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    STOP DISCRIMINATING PAGE- BECAUSE HE'S A SCIENTOLOGIST

NO I'M NOT JOKING

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
    edited June 2007
    S. wrote: »
    Jesus christ people.

WTF?

I'm sorry, should he have started with "oh, well I guess it's an ok-ish FPS, you might want to give it a try - probably not though, it's not all that great"? IT'S THE MOTHERFUCKING OP OF A GAME ON THREAD OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO CLAIM IT'S THE BEST FUCKING THING EVER THAT'S WHAT OPS DO!

Wow. First: Take a tranquilizer.

Second: Most OP's don't masturbate a game to death. Usually, they talk about the game, whats good about it, who plays it, etc. This one was a little over the top, thats all.

Third: Take another tranq.

Raslin on

• S.S. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Second: Most OP's don't masturbate a game to death. Usually, they talk about the game, whats good about it, who plays it, etc. This one was a little over the top, thats all.

Caps was for emphasis. Of my burning anger!

So, "little over the top" necessitates shitting all over the thread, huh?

S. on
    edited June 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    the newest version is definitely better than the first release, but it still feels too UTish to me movement and gun wise.

The weapons and movement were copied almost directly from QW/Q3/CPMA and have nothing whatsoever to do with UT. I don't get what you mean here.

Page- on
    stream
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    atkbob wrote: »

Now, you see, I knew this because I read the whining forum.

I didn't post it because it has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

Suriko on
    edited June 2007

I'll be honest, I can't really think of a reply to this. I didn't think I was shitting all over the thread, but hey, I'm a huge asshole. I hope people call me out on it when I show it :P

Raslin on

edited June 2007

I'll be honest, I can't really think of a reply to this. I didn't think I was shitting all over the thread, but hey, I'm a huge asshole. I hope people call me out on it when I show it :P

Aha! So that's my problem: I should have been fighting fire with fire. Well, I'll keep that in consideration.

Page- on
    stream
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    atkbob wrote: »

Now, you see, I knew this because I read the whining forum.

I didn't post it because it has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

Maybe I like psychology in my games?

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've been wondering when this game would show up as a game on. Sadly, it looks like people are having more fun bashing the forum noob. Meh.

Really, it's worth playing at least once just because the cel-shaded TRON thing is amazing. Get a small inline screenshot in the OP.

Frem on
    edited June 2007
    All the screenshots are fucking huge, so I was avoiding putting them in the OP.

Also. Nwb what? I've been here for years. Jeez, give a guy a little credit.

Page- on
    stream
    edited June 2007

Something I've noticed is that until you have an avatar or sig with a pic, people never recognize you.

Also, having the game link in your sig, and posting this thread, makes it seem like you just joined. Not saying its true, just what went through my brain.

Raslin on

edited June 2007
    I getcha. I've never really felt attached to anything that I felt should be my avatar or sig. In fact, I feel almost the opposite about them.

Back on topic, though. Does anyone actually want to play this game?

Page- on
    stream
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    I can't believe you'd say machine guns and large maps are gimmicks, but proudly put that motherfucking "bunny hopping" thing in what the game DOES have. The day I'll find an FPS with mechanics that keep players from bunny hopping I'll buy 10 copies.

Uh, BF2142?

Can't shoot while jumping. Yeah, bunnyhopping doesn't really exist in that any more.

But you can throw explosives, which is enough to keep bunnyhopping alive and well in BF2142.

Oh, and you can reload. More bunnyhopping, there.

Garthor on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Just grab them off the site, shrink them down in Paint or Paint.Net or whatever, stick them back up on imageshack or some other image host. Bam, done.
    atkbob wrote:
    lol Scientology

I loath scientology (sorry Page), and am well aware of what went down in the whining forum, but you're just being a dick for no good reason. Go be a jackass elsewhere.

Andorien on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Andorien wrote: »

Just grab them off the site, shrink them down in Paint or Paint.Net or whatever, stick them back up on imageshack or some other image host. Bam, done.

Hell, I think either Imageshack or Photobucket allows you to post the image as a thumbnail so it can be clicked on for the full size picture so even that could work.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
    edited June 2007
    Andorien wrote: »

atkbob wrote:
    lol Scientology

I loath scientology (sorry Page), and am well aware of what went down in the whining forum, but you're just being a dick for no good reason. Go be a jackass elsewhere.

S'okay by me. Hate whatever you want.

Also, I posted the link to the screenshot section of the site. It isn't that hard to click on it, is it?

And GGs. Hope to see you playing again sometime.

Page- on
    stream
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

WAIT

WAIT

Page is a scientologist?

Seta 3000 on
    edited June 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2133070#post2133070

Holy shit, he is a Scientologist

oh shit, oh shit, oh shit what do I do

there are no windows to jump out of what do I do

Seta 3000 on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The thing that cracks me up about reading this thread is you guys whining about a free fucking game. I don't think it's so hot either, but come on.

Also, Scientology lol.

Then again that is discrimination based on religion and that is a bad thing.

Scientology lol

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The thing that cracks me up about reading this thread is you guys whining about a free fucking game. I don't think it's so hot either, but come on.

There's a little brown something in my dog's bed. It may be shit. It might be a crushed plum. I didn't inspect it too closely.

I'll give it to you for free, though.

You want it?

Garthor on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Garthor wrote: »

There's a little brown something in my dog's bed. It may be shit. It might be a crushed plum. I didn't inspect it too closely.

I'll give it to you for free, though.

You want it?

Of course not. But I'm not going to whine on the internet about the quality of your dogshit. I just won't take it.

Edit: In other words, if you don't care enough to download it, don't post about it.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seta 3000 wrote: »

okay, i'm probably going to seem like a backseat moderator, but oh well.

Shut the hell up.

First, what does that have to do with the thread at hand? Absolutly nothing. Leave it the fuck out.

Second, who cares. I'm not one to really care about a persons opinion or religious belief. If he's a scientologist, so be it. I don't agree with scientology, but i'm not going to act like an ass to him just because he believe in it.

Now, you know what this thread needs? Less shitting all over the thread and over the fact that page was a little overzealous about a game he likes.

Hell, we could even, y'know, play the game! What a revolutionary and mind boggling process! GASP AND AWE!

F-Zero_Racer on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've tried it out.

It's basically Quake 3 with a bit of wall jumping added. The gameplay is not as fluid as Q3 to me. I used to play Q3 Rocket Arena all the time, and this isn't as good as that. The weapons are the same, just with different names.

Looks nice though. The cel-shading is done well, and of course it runs smooth as silk.

Shujaa on
    edited June 2007
    Seta 3000 wrote: »

okay, i'm probably going to seem like a backseat moderator, but oh well.

Shut the hell up.

First, what does that have to do with the thread at hand? Absolutly nothing. Leave it the fuck out.

Second, who cares. I'm not one to really care about a persons opinion or religious belief. If he's a scientologist, so be it. I don't agree with scientology, but i'm not going to act like an ass to him just because he believe in it.

Now, you know what this thread needs? Less shitting all over the thread and over the fact that page was a little overzealous about a game he likes.

Hell, we could even, y'know, play the game! What a revolutionary and mind boggling process! GASP AND AWE!

okay, but I don't care

I'm going to go back to playing Pokemon now

Seta 3000 on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Some things about Warsow you all should know, because the OP seemed to give the wrong impressions for some people:

* It's open source. Which means it's free.

* It's a 1 on 1 competitive duel game. That's the player base it caters to almost exclusively.

* It's peers are Quake 3 CPMA and Quake 4 Max. Not UT2004.

* It offers enough novel gameplay mechanics (Dual ammo types, movement) to set it apart from its competitors.

If you're not into 1 on 1 FPS, then this game probably isn't for you. Its closest equivalent, as people have noted, is CPMA, so if you like CPMA, then this game is worth a shot because it's new and exciting.

Centipeed on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Page- is kind of retarded when it comes to the concept of "depth." He (she?) thinks Q3A is the deepest FPS ever made, which befuddles me.

Still, this Warsow looks like fun. The opposite of "deep," but still potentially entertaining.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Warsow is the NEXT STEP in OLDSCHOOL style FPS games. It has NOTHING to do with CS, GR:AW, R6, BF or ET type games and I never meant to compare them directly. They shouldn't even be considered the same genre at this point.

I know your kind. I saw some of you play Quake 3 when it was released with absurd FOV, textures down to a minimum gray blur and reducing each and every setting that brought down graphical quality so you could bunnyhop better. Then the mods with words like "Perfect" and "Elite" in the title came out and you played nothing but that.

Quite frankly, you're a subgenre of a subgenre. Not many of you around here.

No, not trying to diss you here. Just sayin' that 98% of the forums don't consider Warsow either deep or epic or revolutionary.

Echo on
    edited June 2007
    Echo wrote: »

I know your kind. I saw some of you play Quake 3 when it was released with absurd FOV, textures down to a minimum gray blur and reducing each and every setting that brought down graphical quality so you could bunnyhop better. Then the mods with words like "Perfect" and "Elite" in the title came out and you played nothing but that.

Quite frankly, you're a subgenre of a subgenre. Not many of you around here.

No, not trying to diss you here. Just sayin' that 98% of the forums don't consider Warsow either deep or epic or revolutionary.

Damn, I'm an easy read, huh? ;) I guess I can't expect many people to take the game as seriously as I do, and -- to be frank -- I don't take it that seriously; I just have a level of play that I'm used to. What I wish that I could impress upon those of you who don't know about already is the sheer awesomeness of being able to pull the tricker moves off. Just running around a map by yourself can be a rewarding experience, and not in some snobish way. It just happens to be very, very fun. After a while you can almost feel yourself moving through the game. Maybe that's a little hard to understand, but try watching a few movement movies, even ones on youtube, and you may get an idea of how cool it is.

Page- on
    stream
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Echo wrote: »

I know your kind. I saw some of you play Quake 3 when it was released with absurd FOV, textures down to a minimum gray blur and reducing each and every setting that brought down graphical quality so you could bunnyhop better.

people do that so they can see better. But it is crazy how some people want to turn off almost everything you can think of. It does help a lot though I must admit in the visibility department.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not much of an FPS gamer, but I know exactly what this game is about.
    My friend used be part of the Half-Life "Adrenaline Gamer" scene, which was all about insane movement.
    I witnessed it, and seriously... some of the things those guys could do was off the fucking wall. D:

They were able to build up cumulative momentum to the point where they were actually flying through the maps, literally not touching the ground. They could traverse an entire map in seconds, and catapult themselves into a tiny window with perfect accuracy; all while scoring frags so fast you can barely see it happening. :shock:

It's certainly pretty interesting to watch, and I have no doubt that this style of play is "deep". It's deep in the same way a game like Tetris or Super Monkey Ball is deep; there's practically no ceiling to the level of skill you can reach.

Actually, I would say it's an evolution of classic platformer gameplay as much as it is a step forward for shooters.

Before I was wondering why there's no FPSes made specifically for this kind of momentum-based gameplay. I guess Warsow is it! :) I wish those guys luck, because although I don't have the commitment needed for this kind of game, it does look cool and it would certainly make a more interesting spectator 'e-sport' than World of friggin' Warcraft :P

Tig on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I was interesting in this because you know, it was free and sounded like a good hour or two of fun.

After reading the thread creaters comments I am going to assume that the people that play this game are like him and I am never coming to come close to this game.

projectmayhem on