As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Bourne Ultimatum (new trailer, new website)

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That was fun stuff.
    I liked it a lot.
    Sweet fight scenes.

Also, I always love the music they use in the Bourne movies.

The suspense music with the strings is the best. I like how they opened the movie with it this time.

Sceptre on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This movie rocked.

I am ashamed and unmanned that I ever doubted Matt Damon could play this role.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Matt Damon can play pretty much anything he wants to.

deadonthestreet on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just got back..might be my favorite movie of the summer. Just really enjoyed how the movie built tension so well, and the already mentioned scenes where great.

By the way, anyone know the name of the song used at the end credits? It sounded catchy.

Kyougu on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    That being said, while Bourne Ultimatum marks the end of Ludlum's Bourne trilogy, two more books came out after Ludlum died: The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal. Not as good as Ludlum's stuff, but still good, it seems.
    The movies are far and away much better than anything Ludlum ever penned. The fact that none of them bare any resemblance to their print counterparts doesn't surprise me (because the books were by and large trash).

Hacksaw on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2007
    I saw it opening night was very satisified. I will be purchasing a future ticket, and the DVD.

I will also support any future Bourne movies, but only if both Nicki and Bourne as Matt Damon are in it.
    When they were in the diner after they just teamed up from the Madrid Safehouse, and there was that awkward silence, I almost expected Nicki to say: "So you wanna new girlfriend?" and Bourne to reply quickly with a: "Sure."

Unknown User on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    When they were in the diner after they just teamed up from the Madrid Safehouse, and there was that awkward silence, I almost expected Nicki to say: "So you wanna new girlfriend?" and Bourne to reply quickly with a: "Sure."
    Even though it was never confirmed, I think the awkward silence, as well as the way Nicki kept staring expectantly at Jason while she was cutting her hair, meant to imply that, at some point during Jason's forgotten past, they had a romantic episode of sorts. Maybe they used her to more easily break him? Who knows.

ege02 on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I forgot another part I loved:
    In Madrid, how the assasin makes Bourne think the bomb is in the satchel, just so Bourne would stop Daniel's car just where the real bomb was.

It was just a "Damn!" moment for me and most of the audience.

Kyougu on
    edited August 2007
    That was in Tangiers not Madrid.

Unknown User on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My take on it...
    I liked the way this one opens, and the awesome moment where whats-her-name gets the call from Bourne, and it's the epilogue scene from Supremacy. I also liked the vagueness of Bourne and Nicki's past. That one didn't need an answer. As it is, this film wraps up too many loose ends in too tidy a package.

Call me jaded, but does anyone else have a hard time buying all these bigwigs in the CIA being brought up on charges? In the real world, they'd be pressured into retirement and go to work for some contractor making a killing off Homeland Security. I also think a credulity-straining number of CIA people ended up helping Bourne or letting him go in this movie.

Random thought. Whenever I replay the scenes with the British journalist in my head, I see Daily Show correspondent John Oliver in his place. Especially where he starts getting too "into" the cat and mouse game and thinks he can move like Bourne.

Tiemler on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There is still the "Jason Bourne Goes To Maccau!" novel they can do.

And if he has a love interest that stays alive then the plot can finally make damn sense. Sort of. Without the Jackal.

edit: My bad, it seems the Ultimatum is "JASON BOURNE GOES TO MACCAU!", so maybe, they can make the "real" Jason Bourne goes to Maccau...I allways get my books confused.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    A huge part of the appeal of Jason Bourne is the idea that this one person can be stacked against such incredible odds in a pseduo-realistic way. I think, if they are going to maintain the appeal of the franchise they need a relevent (ie plot wise) but tougher enemy for him. Of course that would probably be a plot involving an assault on Langely or the Pentagon, so I am not sure what kind of reception that would receive.

It would be cool to watch though.

Unknown User on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Just got back..might be my favorite movie of the summer. Just really enjoyed how the movie built tension so well, and the already mentioned scenes where great.

By the way, anyone know the name of the song used at the end credits? It sounded catchy.

Extreme Ways, by Moby. It's almost the same song they used at the end of The Bourne Supremacy, except the version they played at the end of this one is a remix.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
    edited August 2007
    Didn't they play that song in the first movie too?

Sceptre on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Caught it last night, but let me say, don't sit anywhere the front of the theater, that damned shaky camera was making me physically ill during the movie being that close and I had to get up a few times(we showed up a bit late and only had front seats left). Other then that it was a pretty kick ass movie, I'd like to see it again from a good seat.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    They could make The Bourne Canoodling, and have it be about Bourne's and Nicki's past.

Yeah, I think that subplot needed a little more clarification. It could have been worked in easily and effectively, and plus, Julia Styles was fiiiine (though she needed a little more dialog, even if they were going for a vague past). That, to me, was the only thing lacking in the movie.

And on that basis alone, let there be more! It will be very hard, however, to find a way of extending the plot without treading old ground. I could see it turning into a 24 kind-of scenario, and I don't want a tainted series, ala Star Wars.

Profs on
    edited August 2007
    I really hope we get at least one more movie, if not two.

I pray they are as good as this one.

Unknown User on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    I really hope we get at least one more movie, if not two.

I pray they are as good as this one.
    This movie pissed me off to no end. As well crafted as this movie was, it had no friggin point at all. In fact, they had so little story to work with they actually had to add on two-thirds of the movie (before NYC) just to have a full length feature (they already ended the second movie in NYC). In the end, instead of making a nice trilogy they just leave a big ole stack of loosed ends specifically so they can make a fourth movie. Seriously Fuck this attitude that directors now have that if a movie is successful, they have to make a sequel, no matter how badly they have to stretch out the story.

This series is starting to remind me of LOST actually, with all those earliers issues raised (Clive Owen with the headaches anyone?) being completely ignored. They could've wrapped this storyline up in 3 movies and made if very well.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm fairly confident that they aren't making any more movies, and that the story is wrapped up enough.

Clive Owen with headaches, you know, likely because of all the crazy shit they put the people through to break them down. I don't know.

Whatever, I was extremely satisfied by these movies so...

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited August 2007
    I'm fairly confident that they aren't making any more movies, and that the story is wrapped up enough.

Clive Owen with headaches, you know, likely because of all the crazy shit they put the people through to break them down. I don't know.

Whatever, I was extremely satisfied by these movies so...

I'm pretty sure Bourne's character is having the headaches along side Clive Owens in the first movie.

Sceptre on
    edited August 2007
    It's a guarantee they're going to make more movies because they know they can still sell tickets. I went to see this movie because I had the expectation that the series would wrap up (since the original books are a trilogy). I won't see the next one. I didn't go see the third pirates movie because I heard they decided to sneak in another sequel. I can't think of a single story that needs to be longer than a trilogy. Fuck this money-grubbing attitude.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    It's a guarantee they're going to make more movies because they know they can still sell tickets. I went to see this movie because I had the expectation that the series would wrap up (since the original books are a trilogy). I won't see the next one. I didn't go see the third pirates movie because I heard they decided to sneak in another sequel. I can't think of a single story that needs to be longer than a trilogy. Fuck this money-grubbing attitude.

But if the movies are enjoyable, why not? It's not as though everyone hated this instalment of Bourne. (Or Pirates 3 for that matter.)

Sceptre on
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    It's not as though everyone hated this instalment of Bourne. (Or Pirates 3 for that matter.)

This isn't a very good reason to like something.

These action movies end up to be exercises in cinematography and choreography. They cease to have any plot whatsoever. I like watching movies that communicate something other than good camera work. For example a movie like Oldboy has some amazing action scenes as well as an excellent excellent plot. A movie like Batman Begins has a compelling plot along with action.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I give this movie big props for at least one thing (not sure if it's a spoiler or not):
    MOTOR SCOOTER CHASE SCENE!! Because I am getting my first motor scooter tomorrow, and I'm not sure how the rest of the people will view it. Now I'm justified because even badass assassins ride motor scooters.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Great movie. I'm definetly getting the box set when it comes out.

One part I laughed out loud at is...
    "You are no longer David Webb you are now Darth Vader....:lol: I couldn't stop thinking about that the entire scene.

xraydog on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Do you hate being entertained?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Narian wrote: »

Do you hate being entertained?

If some asshole is making money off of it!

KalTorak on
    edited August 2007
    I just hate stories that keep going specifically to make money, not to tell a good story.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Not to beat a dead horse, but ... what? First off, in Pirates
    The main story between Will and Elizabeth does get wrapped up, kid, captain and so forth.
    Are you not happy till every character dies at the end of the movie, so that there is no possible sequel?

Secondly, to say that no story is ever longer than a trilogy is complete hogwash. Just off the top of my head, James Bond, Harry Potter, Darth Vader's story in Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, are all stories that have (or could be) made into movies that I see no way that they could be compressed into trilogies.

Basically, you're complaining that other people are making money producing this entertainment, so you don't like it, regardless of the quality of said entertainment. Wow, you must hate a whole lot of movies. O_o

Edit:
    I just hate stories that keep going specifically to make money, not to tell a good story.

But how did that stop you from seeing Pirates 3, for example. I can understand if you heard it was bad from whatever critics/friends you trust their opinions of the movie, but you said you didn't go just because you heard there was a possible 4th movie, not because whether it was a good story or not.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    My take on it...
    I liked the way this one opens, and the awesome moment where whats-her-name gets the call from Bourne, and it's the epilogue scene from Supremacy. I also liked the vagueness of Bourne and Nicki's past. That one didn't need an answer. As it is, this film wraps up too many loose ends in too tidy a package.

Call me jaded, but does anyone else have a hard time buying all these bigwigs in the CIA being brought up on charges? In the real world, they'd be pressured into retirement and go to work for some contractor making a killing off Homeland Security. I also think a credulity-straining number of CIA people ended up helping Bourne or letting him go in this movie.

Random thought. Whenever I replay the scenes with the British journalist in my head, I see Daily Show correspondent John Oliver in his place. Especially where he starts getting too "into" the cat and mouse game and thinks he can move like Bourne.
    It depends on who she faxed the file on Blackburn to. The New York Times comes out with proof that the CIA had an oversight-less assassination program against U.S. Citizens? You better believe that's a paddlin'. The CIA is the foreign intelligence agency, and is expressly forbidden from handling domestic espionage work, which is the realm of other agencies such as the DIA and FBI. Double-bad if it included proof that they were adding targets and killing people solely to protect their program.

Chenjesu on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's a ridiculous reason not to see a movie, there had always been some plan of a trilogy for Pirates, they said it just relied on how well the first movie did. They said that the story line of the first film would carry on into two more, but no more than two more.

I am not sure who you hear the 'money grubbing' coming from, but I suggest reading the interviews and the press releases rather than blowing off a movie on something you hear. I think it's pretty obvious that all films are made as part of a business, but it's also clear that some writers put a lot of work into the screen-plays, the actors are amazing, and that they really enjoyed making the films and that it shows in the final product.

Saying they have a money grubbing attitude just gives me the same feeling as people calling other people "conformists" and so on, as in that they really haven't read in what they are talking about and generally sound ignorant.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why would you expect the movies to be a trilogy because the books are? The movies are nothing like the books.

The Cheese on
  • MORPHEUSMORPHEUS Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    xraydog wrote: »

"You are no longer David Webb you are now Darth Vader....:lol: I couldn't stop thinking about that the entire scene.

Shit, I was gonna mention that. Im surpirsed nobody in the theatres noticed that 'Revenge of the Sith' line.

MORPHEUS on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, who else has read the books and the movies?

I'm not one of those people who insists that there's a tight fidelity between page and screen, but wow, it's pretty much 100%, completely different. I saw the first two movies way before I read the first two novels (just read the first two novels in the last week), but man, aside from there being an amnesiac with many skills, it's pretty much not the same franchise at all.

Not that I mind. I enjoyed the books and the movies- just separately.

Organichu on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MORPHEUS wrote: »
    xraydog wrote: »

Shit, I was gonna mention that. Im surpirsed nobody in the theatres noticed that 'Revenge of the Sith' line.

I thought the same exact thing, the echoing of the voice didn't help to take away the effect either. :lol:

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited August 2007
    Harry Potter is an exception to the rule. JKR had a long story to tell and it couldn't have fit into 3 books (unless they were much much larger). I like that she actually stuck to the 7 books rather than trying to extend the series out.

I didn't bother going to the pirates because I heard it was both bad, and they were going for another movie.

That aside, I think the Bourne series could have been neatly wrapped up in 3 movies. Instead of starting where they left off in the second movie (in NYC) they added on 66% more story beforehand to make a 30 minute sequence into a third movie. I know the movie industry is a business, that's fine, but I just feel like they keep writing these series' out longer and longer (after they realize there is dough to be made) specifically to make money, rather than tell a good story.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Harry Potter is an exception to the rule. JKR had a long story to tell and it couldn't have fit into 3 books (unless they were much much larger). I like that she actually stuck to the 7 books rather than trying to extend the series out.

I didn't bother going to the pirates because I heard it was both bad, and they were going for another movie.

That aside, I think the Bourne series could have been neatly wrapped up in 3 movies. Instead of starting where they left off in the second movie (in NYC) they added on 66% more story beforehand to make a 30 minute sequence into a third movie. I know the movie industry is a business, that's fine, but I just feel like they keep writing these series' out longer and longer (after they realize there is dough to be made) specifically to make money, rather than tell a good story.

Well sir, be satisfied that you have an enjoyable movie. I promise you will not see another movie like the Bourne Trilogy in a long time. Hell, in a few months you'll probably get bad ripoffs of it.

MORPHEUS on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Well sir, be satisfied that you have an enjoyable movie. I promise you will not see another movie like the Bourne Trilogy in a long time. Hell, in a few months you'll probably get bad ripoffs of it.

Shooter.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »

Shooter.

Now this is a good rip off

MORPHEUS on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Now this is a good rip off

That was glorious. The end before the credits had me in stitches... I really didnt expect him to do that.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]