As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Viva Pinata questions and tips

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
EDIT: Anyone up for trading some Pinatas? I'm breeding moozipans and Swananas right now so I have loads to give away/sell. Just message me if anyone is interested (Gamertag: HotleadJ)

This is probably my favorite game on the Xbox 360 and have been playing it for nearly a month now, but I have a couple of questions that are really bothering me.

- Is there a trick to keep certian pinata species happy? Things I'v noticed that keep them happy are feeding them sweets, pouring water over the ones that like it, buying them acsessories and not letting them get stomped on. I'v fenced off my larger pinatas from the smaller ones to prevent crushings, but 90% of my pinatas are mostly sad or a little unhappy. Is there a constant way to keep some pinatas happy? I'm assuming providing species with their own food scources, such as keeping some watercress flowers about to keep newgats happy may work, but I'm not too sure. Any tips? EDIT: I know about keeping them away from weeds/thistles.

- How did I, and how can I again, get my Buzzlegums to produce honey?

- I'v been breeding Moozipans to get the master romancer award and mucho moolah, but they still do not want to produce milk, how can I rectify this?

- I have a ruffian stuck in my garden and will not move or react to anything, aside from digging a pond under his feet which he will repsond to by vometing up dirt. He isn't doing any harm, but I cannot build anything where he is standing. Aside from starting a new garden, is there a way to get rid of him?

- Can garden space be reduced by chopping down trees, destroying houses and selling pinatas? What is the best thing to get rid of to create more garden space when you get the 'garden is getting full' message?

It would be cool if we could turn this into a questions, awnsers and tips thread if anyone is still playing the game, but please don't give too much away as I feel one of the best things about this game is experimeting and discovering new things for yourself, so if you wish to divulge information about some of the more 'secret' aspects of the game, such as what special items do, hw to attract rare pinatas, etc, I would appreiciate spoiler tags. Thanks. Now, some things I discovered regading game mechanics that I think some people may find useful.

- Now I may as well point out to anyone who may not have noticed, that when you are trying to attract a certian species to your garden and they have to eat X amount of something, if they only eat, say, 2 of 5, the same one will come back and will only need to eat 3 more. I always assumed that they were different pinatas and kept trying to get them to eat the certian amount of whatever they needed when they visited until I noticed a Fizzlybear eat one fir cone and become a resident. Just thought I'd point that out as it confused me for a while.

- If your garden is getting too full and you wish to keep certian residents safe, buy a crate and pack the ones you wish to relocate to another garden into said crate and send it to yourself via the post office. Start a new garden and recive the crate from the post office, then you can unpack the pinatas into your new garden, safe and sound. Handy if you want special, themed gardens or wish to breed lots of the same species without worrying about garden space.

And just a side note, I just wanted to say I think the game looks freaking spectacular, I love the art style, graphics, animation and the designs of nearly everything in the game, it is easily one of my favorite looking games of all time, right next to the Wind Waker and Metal Slug 3.

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• JammersJammers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You need to buy a Honey Hive from the builder to make honey. If you buy your Buzzlegums Beekeeper Hats they'll start making honey automatically. You'll need some flowers as well. I think any will do, but there might be a specific type you need.

Jammers on
    Xbox Live - Jammers007
    Nintendo Network ID - Jammers007
    3DS - 1418-6751-8378
    Steam - Jammers007
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish I had these pinatas as pets. :(

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God damnit, I must have bred at least 20 moozipans so far and still no master romancer award. EDIT: just realised you need 7 in the garden at the same time. God damit, I just kept selling them as soon as they hatched from their cocoons. At least I have loads of cash now

Huh, funny thing about the buzzlegums wearing beekeper hats to make them produce honey, I just made them wear those hats because they looked amusing. I'll try making my moozipans wear bells or something.
    Pharezon wrote: »
    I wish I had these pinatas as pets. :(

Personally I love Newgats for some reason. Hella cute, plus I love the bird ones as I love just seeing one randomly perched on one of my structures or trees.

Anyone up for trading some Pinatas? I'm breeding moozipans and Swananas right now so I have loads to give away/sell. Just message me if anyone is interested (Gamertag: HotleadJ)

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    On a slightly related note, check the BLizzard Special 1up show for like 10 minutes of them discussion Viva Pinata. Its hilarious.

The_Scarab on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Keep in mind that making another garden doesn't start you from scratch. You will keep the same upgrades (including land space) and the same number of coins, so you can make a garden with mostly water to attract the ones that require high percentages (like 70% water) without having to destroy your main garden.

Also, instead of using the hammer to turn everything into soil, just buy yourself a create and keep picking it up and dropping it. It only costs 1 coin and does like 600% more radius then the shovel.

Quick Coins
    planting seeds and selling the fruit is a good source of income. If you want to gain an incredible boost to your wallet, start a new garden. Use the mail box to soil the ground from the tip above. Now buy as many chili seeds as possible, when she refuses to sell you any more just hit ok and plant some more until you have about 6 patches of 10 seeds. Try to plant them as close as possible. When they are planted, use the special soil you get from the poor guy and put it on each patch three times to take them as large as possible, and then keep them healthy with water until the chili drops. If you do it right, you can get about 15,000 profit per purchase.

Sanders on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I used to have an Xbox 360, guys

Then one day, shortly after I bought Viva Pinata, it went missing.

Missing to my girlfriend's house.

That CD hasn't come out of it for about a year now. She's probably melted it to slag from playing it so much.

I miss you, Boxy. :(

Ein on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can I just get a vauge hint on how to get variants on creatures? I'v been playing for like 30 hours or more now and still havent got one variant of a pinata yet.

Did anyone else notice the plug for the TV show from Leafos? And did anyone else sit through the credits sequence? Dear god, the song.... it's so bad it's hilarious. I'm wathcing the credits right now, and, this is a complete guess, but is that bird pinata by any chance called a 'Parasweet'?

EDIT: this credits sequence would make an awesome screensaver

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Viva Pinata Wiki

Should answer most of your questions.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • JammersJammers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When thinking about how to make variants, think about what you did to make different coloured Butterscotch (I think that's what the butterfly Piñata are called), and try doing it with other Piñatas as well. If you haven't made different coloured Butterflies yet, try feeding them things. Colourful things.
    like flowers

Really though, some of them are so obscure (one of them involves tapping the egg when it bounces, for example) that you'd be best off just using a guide.

Jammers on
    Xbox Live - Jammers007
    Nintendo Network ID - Jammers007
    3DS - 1418-6751-8378
    Steam - Jammers007
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Viva Pinata <3

Oh, how I wish I could remember how to stain every variant when in the field...

Putting loads of cats and dogs in a garden is awesome.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really should buy a 360 for this game, damnit.

KiTA on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KiTA wrote: »

Soon, you won't have to. It's being ported to PC.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/803/803110p1.html

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love this game...

It really deserved better, sales-wise - but the marketing was so totally mis-targeted given who the 360 install base mostly is.

I hope they can do a good job pushing the PC version, because they probably have a larger market for it there.

dopplex on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is the best game on the 360 bar none.

I love the way the racoon pinatas run around the garden.

I can't wait for the rumored snow expansion.

Magic Pink on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KiTA wrote: »

Soon, you won't have to. It's being ported to PC.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/803/803110p1.html
    Truly, there is a god. <3

Glal on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would totally buy an expansion for this game. I really hope that eventually they will have sold enough to rationalize it.

I ended up using the Wiki from time to time to find variants (some of them really are amazingly obscure), but they game does give you a ton of information built in as well, which is nice.

My only gripes are the brief stall on auto-save and some of the loading times between screens. It's never too bad, but it gets slightly annoying. Some degree of harddrive cache (unless it already does this) or maybe some some refinement that might come along with an expansion would be super.

I've gotta second the sentiment that this is one of the best games that was ever mismarketed. It's beautiful and fun and deep and totally adorable.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671