As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless router question

TSRTSR Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be setting up a wireless router soon and I have a quick question.

My router will be connected via an ethernet cable coming from another wireless router some distance away. Will this cause any problems? Can one internet connection feed two wireless routers if they're chained together?

TSR on

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TSR wrote: »
    I'm going to be setting up a wireless router soon and I have a quick question.

My router will be connected via an ethernet cable coming from another wireless router some distance away. Will this cause any problems? Can one internet connection feed two wireless routers if they're chained together?

It should be fine, though you'll need to do some manual configuration that is going to be specific for your router. You will need to disable the DHCP server on the second router, and manually set the IP address of that router. Other than that things should be ok.

The only other concern would be wireless interference with each other. If you don't live in a place with many other wireless networks (dorm, apartment, etc.) and don't have any appliances that will interfere with it (2.4 GHz cordless phone being the main culprit) it may help to change the second router's channel. Both of them will probably default to 11, and if there are performance/connectivity issues you can try changing the channel one the second router to 1.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks, Barrakketh

This is all preliminary, so I'll bump this or PM you when I'm actually trying to do it in a couple of days, if things don't go smoothly.

TSR on