As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Format War to End Soon

Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR DudePrincipality of ZeonRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Format Wars Soon to Come to an End.

I have been reading lots of articles as of late from multiple sources and have spoken with many people working in
the HD content market. The time is almost up for HD-DVD and the end of the format might be soon upon us.
The most realistic look on the whole ordeal comes from an article written by Rob Fahey from GamesIndustry.biz.
1hdbluwqi2.jpg
Predictions of the end of the face-off between Toshiba and Sony over next-gen DVD standards have been
rife for the last few years. But while hopes that it would all be over by last Christmas were wildly optimistic, it
seems certain that a dominant format will have emerged in plenty of time for this year's holiday season.
-Rob Fahey 08:00 (BST) 29/06/2007
The full article can be read here.

<Another Article Stating Blu-Ray Dominance>
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/format-war/blu+ray-players-dominate-5-to-1-over-hd-dvd-in-us-270696.php

Personally I really want one of the formats to go away so that we can start building up a single formats library with HD media.

Discuss.

Vicious_GSR on

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a war?

You probably couldn't tell because of neither format actually doing that well.

Furu on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why, again, do I need HD? I watch a movie to be entertained. I don't watch a movie so I can see every last drop of sweat as it appears on the pores of the actor.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Every time some analyst publishes an article there's a new thread saying X has won the format war.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    There's a war?

Yeah, I had no idea one was doing better than the other; I thought the were both doing crappy.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ending? Hells, they've barely started.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've got some HD movies. They're pretty, but seriously unless you're using a projector or a tv above 42"...it's not that massive a difference.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Every time some analyst publishes an article there's a new thread saying X has won the format war.

Every time a sucker reads an analyst's prediction regarding a "format war winner" and buys into it, god kills a kitten.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, you mean Sony will actually have a format that's used in more than it's own branded products?!

This cannot be! The cycle cannot be broken! Sony must LOSE!

Perhaps instead of a format winning, they can figure out something that is better than both of their formats together and provide us with a decent price and HD solution.

Also, I don't really care which "wins" so long as we don't have HDDVD+R and HDDVD-R and BD+R and BD-R.
    Personally I'm looking forward more to the writable storage solutions of HD or BD than the HiDef movies. It takes way too many DVDs to backup MiniDV tapes and Premier projects.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    expendable wrote: »
    Why, again, do I need HD? I watch a movie to be entertained. I don't watch a movie so I can see every last drop of sweat as it appears on the pores of the actor.

Sorry but...bad argument. With that same thought you might still use VHS or download crappy quality movies from the internet.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will be amused if someone finds a way to make a cheap, integrated player that can play both and be done with it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    There's a war?

:^:

HD DVD will still be around this holiday. They've been holding onto their big exclusive releases, Harry Potter and LOTR. Depending on how those sell, and how they do over Christmas, who knows if they'll stick around.
    Blu-Ray would stubbornly last until the PS4, even if it was doing 20x worse than HD DVD. This is a war of attrition, and Sony has far more to lose out of this than Toshiba, so I imagine HD is the one that will eventually give up. Personally I still think both will go the way of LaserDiscs, even though I do enjoy my HD DVD player.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Warner Brothers has 'delayed' there production of dual discs (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in one) because of the whole Blockbuster taking a side thing.

Edit: Sorry BR, fucking fact checking.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jimenex wrote: »

Sorry but...bad argument. With that same thought you might still use VHS or download crappy quality movies from the internet.

Oddly enough, I still have a VHS player because of the fact that MST3K: The Movie is nearly impossible to buy on DVD for a reasonable price because it's out of print and doesn't look to be rereleased any time soon.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Warner Brothers has stoped there production of dual discs (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in one) because of the whole Blockbuster taking a side thing.

Last I checked, netflix has nearly driven blockbuster out of business.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    HD is tipped to loose? Seriously? Ask any punter on the street and they'll say they've heard of HD but be all "Blueray? Get the fuck away from me with your pokemans."

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gyral wrote: »

Oddly enough, I still have a VHS player because of the fact that MST3K: The Movie is nearly impossible to buy on DVD for a reasonable price because it's out of print and doesn't look to be rereleased any time soon.

I was thinking Neptune or Mars - or Neptune...

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Warner Brothers has stoped there production of dual discs (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in one) because of the whole Blockbuster taking a side thing.

This is where I say that is a bunch of bullshit and you should do some fucking research, as 2 of the first 3 hits on google for Total HD (the name of the format) both say it was delayed till early 08 and not in any way cancelled.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/06/28/warners-total-hd-delayed-till-2008/

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

This is where I say that is a bunch of bullshit and you should do some fucking research, as 2 of the first 3 hits on google for Total HD (the name of the format) both say it was delayed till early 08 and not in any way cancelled.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/06/28/warners-total-hd-delayed-till-2008/

It's Vicious, it's unfair of you to expect any kind of fact checking of any sort. Hell, I'm impressed he managed to dress himself this morning.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I couldn't care less about either one. At least DVDs provided a few new ways of doing things over tapes, such as multiple audio tracks and special features that aren't stuffed into one of the ends of the tape, but these new discs don't really change anything about watching movies. I'll just stick with DVDs for now and wait until someone comes out with an actual innovation.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's like having sex. Until you've done it, you can't grasp just what you're missing out on.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's like having sex. Until you've done it, you can't grasp just what you're missing out on.

That's a bad analogy for this forum.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That pretty much sums up the war. Most people don't see the need because they don't have HDTVs and aside from HD res they really don't offer much over DVD.

If and when I upgrade to one of these formats, it'll be because it's got a great library and doesn't cost any more than DVD. I'm definitely not paying $30 for a movie.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Last I checked, netflix has nearly driven blockbuster out of business.

It is amusing to watch one outdated failing business model propping up another outdated failing business model.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That's a bad analogy for this forum.

:lol:

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

That pretty much sums up the war. Most people don't see the need because they don't have HDTVs and aside from HD res they really don't offer much over DVD.

If and when I upgrade to one of these formats, it'll be because it's got a great library and doesn't cost any more than DVD. I'm definitely not paying $30 for a movie.

I dunno, I like the in-movie menu system that HDDVD has. I like being able to mark spots that are favorites of mine to jump back to anytime I want. Other than that, yeah, the only difference is the huge jump in audio and visual quality.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Sorry, but bad argument yourself.

The difference between VHS->DVD is a huge leap, compared to the DVD-HDFD leap.

DVD didn't just bring an increase in picture quality, it brought the end of tape rewinding, tape degradation, tape chewing, and in addition, brought all kinds of useful and cool innovations, like chapter skipping and selection, and behind-the-scenes sections and interviews, as well as multiple launguage tracks, director commentary.... the list is, for all intensive purposes endless; we're talking just a huge list of improvements.

HDFD's, by comparison, up the list to.... uh... well, there's the increased picture and sound quality, and what... Java games that no one is going to play, and doesn't even work correctly half the time? Picture in picture director commentary is nice, yeah, but not huge. Other than that?

Remember in the 1990's, wanting to get to a certain part of a movie? You'd have to get up, hit that fast forward button, hear the whine of the tape spooling up, then impatiently tap your feet for 5 minutes in front of a blank screen, as it got to that part.

Then, you might find you'd gone too far, so you'd hit "back" again, and be met by that jarring snap sound as the VCR laboriously reversed its motor, and then we'd try the cycle all over again.

Or renting a VHS from the rental store, and finding it unrewound? Before even watching the movie, the whole group/family would have to wait 10 minutes, in front of that same blue screen.

THAT, and all the features like it, are why DVD succeeded. Not picture quality.

Picture quality is just a bonus, and youtube proves that, of all things.

If consumers are content with youtube quality video, hell, even watching ripped DVDs from the internet, recorded off a theatre in bangladesh and compressed to low bitrate 640x480... why would you ever think HD formats could be a big deal to these same consumers? Answer: They can't.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Actually, I still have working VCRs and tape. I use them. Every once in a great while, a tape wears out, and then I can go buy the cheap DVD of it. Usually used. New movies I buy on DVD because that's what's available.

I don't download movies from the internet because I don't feel like it. Piracy FTL, but I also don't see the point in upgrading my TVs, players, and movie discs just for some pixels and decibels.

[edit]Also, everything Recoil42 just said.[/edit]

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you had blue screens while you rewound?

you poor thing!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But see, the 2 HD formats are also slowly but surely sliding into the same pricepoint as DVDs. Now why would average joe consumer want to pay the same for a movie with an inferior PQ/AQ when he can get the HD version?

These formats won't die out. There's a larger HD market out there than a lot of you may realize. It's just a matter of time before HD-DVD/Blu-Ray get their kinks out and become mainstream.

The only real question is how the formats are going to share the market.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BLURAY! VS! HDDVD!

THE EPIC BATTLE OF WHO CAN FAIL THE LEAST!

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But see, the 2 HD formats are also slowly but surely sliding into the same pricepoint as DVDs. Now why would average joe consumer want to pay the same for a movie with an inferior PQ/AQ when he can get the HD version?

Because Average Joe already owns a DVD player and doesn't feel like spending the cash to pick up a HD equivalent?

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Because Average Joe already owns a DVD player and doesn't feel like spending the cash to pick up a HD equivalent?

Until he watches some HD content on that brand new HDTV of his and realizes how much better it looks? HD sells itself at this point.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

These formats won't die out. There's a larger HD market out there than a lot of you may realize. It's just a matter of time before HD-DVD/Blu-Ray get their kinks out and become mainstream.

Because they don't want to buy a $600 player and $1000 TV to actually see the difference? We're closer to the cutting edge on this forum than most people. The point where they walk into a store and HD movie players are only double the price of a regular DVD player, that's when we'll start to see mass-market adoption.
    (snip)

Until he watches some HD content on that brand new HDTV of his and realizes how much better it looks? HD sells itself at this point.

Average Joe Consumer can't tell he's looking at an SD signal on an HD set because his vision sucks.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Because while the DISCS are at almost the same price point, the PLAYERS still cost half a grand.

Once that is fixed, and you can get a BR/HDDVD player for less than 50 bucks, then yeah, I'll agree with you. Until then, for the average, run of the mill, everyday consumer, especially when most of them are still on SDTV's and won't see a difference AT ALL, it's just not worth it.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Most people don't care that much and sometimes don't notice the difference.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Because they don't want to buy a $600 player and $1000 TV to actually see the difference? We're closer to the cutting edge on this forum than most people. The point where they walk into a store and HD movie players are only double the price of a regular DVD player, that's when we'll start to see mass-market adoption.

$600 for a player? What's it like back in 2006? Also, part of my point was that the HDTV is already in the house. Just about every single house I walk into has at least 1 HDTV already. Adoption rate soared over the holiday season. That's not even a question anymore.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Because while the DISCS are at almost the same price point, the PLAYERS still cost half a grand.

Once that is fixed, and you can get a BR/HDDVD player for less than 50 bucks, then yeah, I'll agree with you. Until then, for the average, run of the mill, everyday consumer, especially when most of them are still on SDTV's and won't see a difference AT ALL, it's just not worth it.

Man, if price was such a sticking point then DVD would not have taken off. I can get a HD-DVD player now for just about the same price that I paid for a DVD player back in 2000. I like how noone here really follows the prices of these players than just assume they're the exact same price that they debuted at over a year ago.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Most people aren't buying HDTVs for HD anyways.

1. All new TVs are HDTV anyways.

2. They buy them for size and because they're flat.

Pata on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really want to support HD-DVD, but I'm a poor college student and I have to save my money for ramen noodles and books.

:)

But seriously I really do want to support HD-DVD, being the cheaper of the two. I just don't have the funds to do so... I may end up buying the LotR boxset for HD-DVD for my dad or something. That way I feel less guilty (I'm sure he'll be buying a HD-DVD player this christmas).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Until he watches some HD content on that brand new HDTV of his and realizes he doesn't really care.

Fixed. Again, the youtube argument. People are more than content to watch content on youtube. What makes you think the average consumer, who's perfectly content to watch blotchy, artifacted clips on youtube, ebaums, and break, will suddenly decide they should pony up a relatively large fraction of their pittance of a salary, for a shiny new HDTV?

Remember, the best selling console is still the PS2. By your same argument, that once consumers see the difference, they'll be willing to pony up, shouldn't the 360 or PS3 be the best selling consoles, by a wide margin?

Recoil42 on