As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tacterrian Recon

McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
recon.jpg
Finito!

First in a series of commision pieces for a client's RPG universe. I must say that I do enjoy getting paid for things I'd draw normally.

captain.jpg

durrbah durhh
recon-wip2.jpg

Started the next character, a scout/recon/skirmisher sorta dude. Hes got funky googles and a ghillie cape...thing...

recon-wip.jpg

website_header.jpg
McGibs on

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck yes. This is the coloured final version of the sketch/ink you posted before, yeah? I really don't know what to say beyond that you've got a fantastic piece of work right there.

There's even light reflecting off his face from the binoculars... man. Elsewhere the lighting seems... muted, somehow, but the vibe I get from this is that it's like one of those slightly faded wartime photographs you get in historical textbooks. Except as you alluded to the grunt in question is part Imperial Guardsmen, part Russian Infantry :P

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love it.

Especially that you left it slightly desaturated... I can never stop myself from super-saturating everything, but the faded colours work wonderfully here.

My only nitpick is the perspective on the gun - I'm not sure what's the matter with it but it looks... slightly bent?... on first impression. I wish I could express it more clearly but I'm not sure how to put it into words.

Still, wonderful work!

Brolo on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can see this in a game manual and I can see myself goggling at it wondering why it isn't in a modern illustration gallery or book.

Tam on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    the quality is fantastic. how long did it take you to ink him?

Iruka on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's awesome. If I saw this in a game manual I would definitely thumbs up at the game developers.

The boots look a little flat compared to the rest of the piece, I guess because they have so little detail on them and the rest is really busy. Also they are hella clean. Make em muddy!

Lly on
  • Options
    HeliosphanHeliosphan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    echoing the same feels as the above post here but man! that is superb! the texture of his clothes is spot on, and the has a nice effect. what on earth did you use to colour this beast?

only downside now is that i want to see more of them.

Heliosphan on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    As everyone has said this looks fantastic. Can you tell us the name of the franchise this is being developed for and whether it's tabletop or electronic?

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    seeing that gives me a romance explosion in my pants.

hey...how do i get your comic? i wants i wants.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i mean a physical copy

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lly wrote: »

I think he means hardcopy

Also, Super inspiring as usual McGibbs. Can't wait till I gradumate and start drawing again, all this inspiration's going to make me explosion like zergling if I don't do something artsy soon.

Edit: Beat'd

Prospicience on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You should've gotten enough experience by now to level up man. Level 2? This piece and the baby dragon and all your other work should at least make you a level 5 by now.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I think he must have based his title off one of those old school cosmic-scale RPGs with only a few levels.

Level 2 means the pinnacle of human achievement- level 5 would be, like, the Galactus of art (he's still a few gallery crawls away from that).

:lol:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I really like this, but I would have loved to see more contrast between the darks and lights.

Nonetheless, really, really cool. I've been checking this out in the doodle thread. Can't wait to see the rest (oh, you'd better'd post them).

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is really fantastic. You colored it digitally?

Post some more stuff, I really love your style.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the comments all. I'm making a few little changes to the cap'n, and ill bugger around with the shadow contrasts.

This is 100% photoshop
    Can you tell us the name of the franchise this is being developed for and whether it's tabletop or electronic?
    It's just for a guy's personal rpg universe that he plays with his friends, not a comercial game.
    hey...how do i get your comic? i wants i wants.
    If you email me real nice and send me some paypal lovin, I might mail some just for you. I really need to get my website store set up...
    Level 2?
    Its actually my year in art school. So I guess I'm level 3 now.

Started the next character, a scout/recon/skirmisher sorta dude. Hes got funky googles and a ghillie cape...thing...

recon-wip.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so cool.

Awk on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Very nice. The textures in your stuff lately totally inspires me. Only nitpicky thing in the sketch for the second one is his torso seems very wide, but that may just be his jacket and side bags like in the first one.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The gun on the scout seems bent just a teeny bit. Where the barrel and all is, the whole section shifts just a smidgeon to our left.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    it has a crapload of flashlights and lasers stuck on the side if thats what you mean...
    Or that the gun is tilted ever so slightly to the right, so you can see a little bit of the side of the front grip.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so is that first guy like a futuristic nazi? like what the nazis would look like today if they had won the war?

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    From what I've read on the guy's universe (he sent me a little short story thing), theyre very german-esque in the fact that theyre highly trained and diciplined. Like I stated earlier, theyre essentially a combination of ww2 germany, and imperial guard from warhammer40k (which is pretty much ww1/2 russia/germany).

So, not an entirely original concept, but theyre fun to draw.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    recon-wip.jpg

I pretended he was saying the line from Elmer Fudd, and just started laughing. "I'm huntin' wabbits" Nice work Gibbs. Too talented for your own good. I'll be lucky if I'm half as good at twice your age.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    durrbah durhh
    recon-wip2.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    sweet. can't wait to see the finished product. I really like your military designs.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's coming along well, McGibbs, but the perspective on the gun is throwing me off.

The lenses/muzzle holes look too circular when you look at how far down the gun seems to be pointing. They look like they should be flatter, vertically, so that they sync with how he's holding it. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it looks like we're seeing too much of the front of the weapon.

Other than that, it looks super. Looking forward to the final colored piece.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hope you dont mind me asking but, how much are you getting paid? and how many or these cahracters you still have to draw?

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nice inks, biatch.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No kidding. I wish I could stop being so noodly with my drawing and leave nice clean lines like that... I lack control sometimes.

Nice job, can't wait to see the colors!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The gun is pointed somewhat downward but several of the attachments seem to be pointed straight ahead.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to second or third people by saying the lenses on the flashlights etc (esp. the one in the rear on the gun) seem out of perspective with the angle the gun is being pointed down.

flyingmonkey on
    3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    recon-wip3.jpg

autumny.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Love it.

</jealousy>

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah its lookin good so far. Though you should totally make that digital camo.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    digicamo is ugly as sin. Tiger pattern ftw.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah well I think digicamo looks awesome.

So, uh, woo?

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    digi.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Say what you like, that does make it harder to make out his shape.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Forum camo FTW!!!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Must have been a shadow.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg