As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cloverfield (mystery movie trailer in front of transformers)

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i'm not seeing the slusho/cloverfield connection

the site is creepy but that's all I can see.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i'm not seeing the slusho/cloverfield connection

the site is creepy but that's all I can see.

Someone's wearing a Slusho shirt in the trailer.

Plus Abrams has used it before.

Furu on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh also, he basically told AICN that Slusho is connected and Haas is not. There's other Cloverfield sites yet to be found.

Furu on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ahhh

thanks

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cloverfield also had the codename Slusho at one point, that's what made someone decide to check out Slusho.com.
    So, on the history page if you mouse-over the underwater swimming horse (D:) it flips up a thought-bubble with an oven mit in it. There's also a fish thinking of cheese. Randomness for the sake of randomness (I can already see the advertising execs. "Hey guys, Japan is kerazee!") or something important?
    My money's on randomness for the sake of randomness, but I'm sure someone will be interested.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As cool as I think it would be to have this be related to HP Lovercraft's works in some way, part of me hopes it isn't.

Simply because I just can't picture anything from that mythos that if it doesn't take place during the early 20th century.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    As cool as I think it would be to have this be related to HP Lovercraft's works in some way, part of me hopes it isn't.

Simply because I just can't picture anything from that mythos that if it doesn't take place during the early 20th century.

Yeah, it would have to be well done to say the least. Gigantic sea monsters aren't as scary when you have modern weapons that can be brought in, in a matter of minutes. Predator drones can't get scared.

The Hastur vs. a squad of f-22s.
    Cthulu vs an ac150 gunship.
    I wonder if Nyarlathotep can take a direct nuke hit?
    Do you think Bush would inisit Azathoth is a member of Al-queida?

Seriously though i wonder what other web sites are out there besides Slusho, perhaps it's time to start typing in random stuff i remember from alias.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know bible verses have been mentioned before, but I found a more thorough discussion on it.
    The times on the photographs at 1-18-08.com are, 12:01; and 12:36. The following are verses from the Bible under aforementioned times. At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. - Matthew (12:01). In the trailer at 12:01 everyone is having a good time namely eating and drinking. Could this have something to do with said verse? But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. - Matthew (12:36). In the trailer at 12:36 all hell breaks loose and everybody panics as the suspected Apocalypse begins. Judgment day.

Also the release date was suspicious to me, so I read more into this prophetic bible theme that seems to tie into this movie. And here’s what I found.

A lot of things in Revelation Chapter 18 Verse 8 (18:8) (1-18-08, coincedence I think not) are relevant to New York city, the new Babylon, the Woman holding something in her hand (Statue of Liberty) etc. etc.
    It seems at this point that almost all of the Mystery and the clues are all in the trailer. Seek out material on Statue of Liberty, News One, Times, dates, etc. Apparently, this is connected, or it’s one hell of a coincidence. I’m still looking around for anything seen in the trailer connecting to clues.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And more food for thought for you Lovecraft theorists; If the monster hits the Statue of Libirty first, then it would be comming from the water, correct?

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Seems more likely to me that the verses in Revelations are so random and vague that you can relate any old shit to them - ala Nostradamus.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it would have to be well done to say the least. Gigantic sea monsters aren't as scary when you have modern weapons that can be brought in, in a matter of minutes. Predator drones can't get scared.

The Hastur vs. a squad of f-22s.
    Cthulu vs an ac150 gunship.
    I wonder if Nyarlathotep can take a direct nuke hit?
    Do you think Bush would inisit Azathoth is a member of Al-queida?

The problem is, most of the 'big-gun' Mythos entities seem to exist outside of space-time as we understand it. Only projections of their true forms exist in the world we live in. Anything we could do to that projection, including nuking it, would do jack all to the true entity.

It would be like someone trying to kill you by projecting a movie of an explosion onto you. We currently don't have a level of technology to effect many Mythos entities in any significant way.
    are we dismissing the idea that 1-18-08 translates to haas as a coincidence?

Yeah, at this point I think it's pure coinc-edinc. Honestly it was a stretch to begin with.

ihopius on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    redhalo wrote: »
    And more food for thought for you Lovecraft theorists; If the monster hits the Statue of Libirty first, then it would be comming from the water, correct?

Could be Godzilla.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

Could be Godzilla.

.. or Jet Jaguar.

ihopius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ihopius wrote: »

Could be Godzilla.

.. or Jet Jaguar.

Or the Natzis

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quite a few Bible scholars believe the book of Revelations is actually about the Romans oppressing the jews.

Then again, I asked what the symbolism of "the giant storm with lightning and thunder" was and my teacher told me "Obviously, there was an extremely large storm."

*facepalm*

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Quite a few Bible scholars believe the book of Revelations is actually about the Romans oppressing the jews.

Then again, I asked what the symbolism of "the giant storm with lightning and thunder" was and my teacher told me "Obviously, there was an extremely large storm."

*facepalm*

Passover == Easter

Squashua on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    so it came out of the water? this must be an aquaman trailer.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    robothero wrote: »

There already is an Aquaman movie...

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    robothero wrote: »

That attack looked much too powerful for Aquaman. :P

redhalo on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys!

Sarcasm! Check it out.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Sarcasm! Check it out.

I don't know, the attack looked too powerful for sarcasm as well. Well honed irony maybe ...

ihopius on
  • Options
    Sunlight TheorySunlight Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay so I've gathered while reading this thread what an ARG is but what does it stand for? Just curious.

And on a completely separate side note, why does the thread sometimes start with the first post on the first page and progress normally (chronologically from top to bottom) and sometimes with the first post on the last page progressing backwards (chronologically from bottom to top)? It took me two days to read through this whole thread and this was something that was kind of bothering me. (Needless to say I'm new to the forum.)

Sunlight Theory on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Okay so I've gathered while reading this thread what an ARG is but what does it stand for?

It simultaneously stands for wasting time and Alternative Reality Game. Take your pick.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Okay so I've gathered while reading this thread what an ARG is but what does it stand for? Just curious.

And on a completely separate side note, why does the thread sometimes start with the first post on the first page and progress normally (chronologically from top to bottom) and sometimes with the first post on the last page progressing backwards (chronologically from bottom to top)? It took me two days to read through this whole thread and this was something that was kind of bothering me. (Needless to say I'm new to the forum.)

Arg = Alternate Reality Game

As for chrono/reverse-chrono, are you new to forums entirely or just this one. All I can think is that you're missunderstanding quote trees.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Arg = Alternate Reality Game

As for chrono/reverse-chrono, are you new to forums entirely or just this one. All I can think is that you're missunderstanding quote trees.
    No, the posts were running backwards:

421, 420, 419

vs

419, 420, 421

Sometimes it would be one way and sometimes the other. It made keeping track of what page I was on difficult.

Sunlight Theory on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're not logged in then the posts are presented normally. I.E. Page 1 starts with the first post of the thread, and so forth. If you're logged in then page 1 is going to start with the last post published. I think you can change the settings, but I'm not sure.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, that makes sense....FINALLY!

thx

Sunlight Theory on
  • Options
    questionabledudequestionabledude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe it's the new X-Men movie. Apocalypse, maybe?

questionabledude on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New pic up at www.1-18-08

Don't get too excited. It's some people in smoke. Not a damn interesting thing about it as far as I can see.

august on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Hit yourself.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ihopius wrote: »

Could be Godzilla.

.. or Jet Jaguar.

Or the Natzis

Or Mecha-Streisand.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    questionabledudequestionabledude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »

Hit yourself.

You're gonna feel silly when Age of Apocalypse comes out on January 18.

questionabledude on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »

Don't get too excited. It's some people in smoke. Not a damn interesting thing about it as far as I can see.

They're standing in the form of a number 11! Also the woman on the right clearly has a monster in her pants.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »

Hit yourself.

You're gonna feel silly when Age of Apocalypse comes out on January 18.

I refuse to watch another X-Men movie unless Gambit is in it. Fuck them for only briefly showing his name in a list of mutants and then never letting him join in on the destruction. I don't even care if he's a bad guy in it, just put mother fucking Gambit in the mother fucking movie. Fuck!

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »

Here is a better look at the picture.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mantis23 wrote: »
    I've noticed alot of interest on this trailer, so let's discuss it shall we?

The trailer is currently attached to transformers and depicts an attack on New York City by some sort of creature. It's shot entirely on handheld cameras from the perspective of some partygoers. The trailer gives no title for the movie, only announcing "From J.J. Abrams" and a release date of 01-18-2008

Given that I knew there was going to be copius amounts of property damage in Transformers, I turned to my husband during the trailer, pointed to the screen and said, "Must be Go-Bots." We both had to cover our mouths because we were about to fill the entire theater with our laughter.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    any one notice that the woman in the middle managed to grab her purse, but didn't bother to grab her jacket? i'd think it'd be freezing on 1/18 in NYC.

wmelon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    wmelon wrote: »
    any one notice that the woman in the middle managed to grab her purse, but didn't bother to grab her jacket? i'd think it'd be freezing on 1/18 in NYC.

According to the tv news in the trailer it was in the 60's.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Perhaps this isn't a movie at all and they're just planning on releasing a giant creature in NYC on 1/18/08 for shits and giggles.

Sunlight Theory on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wmelon wrote: »

According to the tv news in the trailer it was in the 60's.

in january? that seems rather unseasonal.

according to this page http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Feb04/NRCC.Jan04.bpf.html. the average temperature in January is 32.1 degrees Fahrenheit

wmelon on