As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cloverfield (mystery movie trailer in front of transformers)

• Options
    BokiBoki __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    emotvhappynv7.gif

Boki on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I know I'm late on this but I just saw the trailer for the first time today.

I hated everything about it until shit started blowing up. I have a feeling the actual movie will be the same way.
    What....it was just supposed to be some dude's boring going-away party until stuff started blowing up. How could you like/dislike it? O_o

The whole movie is supposed to be recorded with handycams... so I'd expect the same retarded characters we saw in the trailer to be present for the whole movie.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, I believe there's another set of actors cast for the movie.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu Wrote: It's been confirmed the people in the trailer will actually be the people in the movie
    Source?
    Parasite Eve isn't a square enix property
    READ the box man... it says squaresoft in big bold letters across the back. Any game originally developed by squaresoft would today be a square enix property.

UPDATE: Alright, took a few days to let my ADD find some other stuff to be interested in and then came back to this. I think we're pretty much dead ended till the official press release August 1st. J.J. Is going to be at some cons before then, but since he doesn't exactly answer questions giving away all the secrets of lost I don't really see him telling everyone what this movie is going to be about.

==Still searching for the truth==

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, I believe there's another set of actors cast for the movie.

Our only hope.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    first thing that came to my head after seeing the trailer in the theaters:

Gabbo!

Gabbo!

GABBO!

delphinus on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Ethan Haas is also an anagram for "Haa-Satan".

There's absolutely no indication this has anything to do with The Dark Tower.

In fact, why are people so damn convinced this is an existing property at all?

It's been confirmed the people in the trailer will actually be the people in the movie

but...my concordance! ah...maybe its a j.j. abrams in-joke. but i'll still be writing up that conspiracy theory. haa satan you say? sounds like maybe satans in the movie. that'll be his first time he's been on a movie set since "From Justin To Kelly" and the dark tower is an existing property. that news has been everywhere.
    'Haa-Satan' comes from the Old Testament, and is not necessarily analogous to the Devil. It's Hebrew for 'the adversary.' Really, it just means someone who acts as the opponent or challenger off someone else.

Most famously, a Haa-Satan appears in the book of Job. He's actually one of the angels of the heavenly court, and he convinces God to visit misery on Job in order to see if he is truly righteous, and not just worshipping the Lord for all the neat stuff he gets out of it.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's a hell of a stretch from 'Ethan Haas' to 'Haa-Sethan' to 'Haa-Satan'.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu Wrote: It's been confirmed the people in the trailer will actually be the people in the movie
    Source?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id4ef5b33280f855a6076329c1ca10481

Furu on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I hated everything about it until shit started blowing up. I have a feeling the actual movie will be the same way.
    What....it was just supposed to be some dude's boring going-away party until stuff started blowing up. How could you like/dislike it? O_o

The whole movie is supposed to be recorded with handycams... so I'd expect the same retarded characters we saw in the trailer to be present for the whole movie.

You only saw them for like one minute

Is this the day and age we live in? Where no one is willing to give interesting ideas a shot because they didn't like 30 seconds of a trailer?

Furu on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ehwr.jpg

august on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Parasite Eve isn't a square enix property
    READ the box man... it says squaresoft in big bold letters across the back. Any game originally developed by squaresoft would today be a square enix property.
    Parasite Eve was originally a book, and later a movie; the video game followed both. Square licensed the Parasite Eve property from the author of the book. Parasite Eve doesn't originate with, and isn't the property of, Square Enix, and you'd know that if you actually read the link in the post that you were 'quoting'. The fact that it has the game publisher's name on the box only means that the game was published by that publisher - or do you think that Spider-Man is now the property of Activision because they've published the last few Spider-Man games?

gtrmp on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://ethanhaas.livejournal.com/

OooOoooOoo spooky.

What sucks though is I worked hard at that game to get a nonsensical ending, only to find out many days later about this Cloverfield stuff.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really don't understand why everyone keeps making a correlation between Godzilla and the sound in the trailer. Godzilla's roar is much shriller. The roar in Cloverfield has a much less... 'radioactive dinosaur' sound, and a much more sinister sound. I'm hoping this is Lovecraftian.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

You only saw them for like one minute

Is this the day and age we live in? Where no one is willing to give interesting ideas a shot because they didn't like 30 seconds of a trailer?

I like how your minute suddenly becomes thirty seconds.

I guess I only saw them for a nanosecond come to think of it.

Yes they were that terrible that it has turned me off the film for the time being. Blame that on the creators of the trailer, I guess, as they have effectively conveyed to me that the film will be populated with characters I cannot care for. This film's only draw is the big monster... kindof like American Godzilla.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I severely doubt they're the same person. The eyes don't match up at all.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Neither does, you know, the skin colour.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I thought that might have been the lighting.

I was going to paste together two completely random faces to prove my point, but I'm lazy.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes they were that terrible that it has turned me off the film for the time being. Blame that on the creators of the trailer, I guess, as they have effectively conveyed to me that the film will be populated with characters I cannot care for. This film's only draw is the big monster... kindof like American Godzilla.

Was it the 2 to 3 seconds--at most--you spent with each "character" during the trailer that turned you off? And you saw a "big monster" in the trailer? I saw no monster.

So, effectively, you're saying: This might be cool based on stuff that I did not see, and will suck based on stuff I actually did see. I salute you.... some keen observation of character and detail there. Where does one obtain these powers of observation?

Okay... that said....

LttP here too, but just saw Transformers today and: I loved the movie, but this fucking trailer was brilliant. If this is some viral B.S., I'll be disappointed. If this was footage from the actual movie, I've got a hard-on the size, and shape, of Texas.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I heard someone on another forum say cthulhu is rumored.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

Was it the 2 to 3 seconds--at most--you spent with each "character" during the trailer that turned you off? And you saw a "big monster" in the trailer? I saw no monster.

So, effectively, you're saying: This might be cool based on stuff that I did not see, and will suck based on stuff I actually did see. I salute you.... some keen observation of character and detail there. Where does one obtain these powers of observation?

Now you are just being a choad.

You know full well the general consensus on the film thus far is that a giant monster of some sort is fucking shit up. You know that is what I was talking about, whatever this enigma really turns out to be, it is the only draw. You are only making yourself look ignorant here, grasping at straws like that.

Yes, the characters they showed fucking sucked. They weren't interesting in the least, and generic at best. Trailers exist to make you interested in a film. This trailer fucking failed on everything that wasn't explosions and mayhem.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If this movie has anything to do with HP Lovecraft I will be pissed. I hope it's just a generic giant monster movie.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    If this movie has anything to do with HP Lovecraft I will be pissed. I hope it's just a generic giant monster movie.

Any reason?

august on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know full well the general consensus on the film thus far is that a giant monster of some sort is fucking shit up.

I saw Transformers, literally, less than 12 hours ago. After that, did errands, grocery stuff and spent the rest of the night playing games and participating in July 4th holiday activities. The only thing I know about this trailer is what I saw in the trailer, and what I read in the first couple pages of this thread. I'm not involved, in depth, with "the word" on "the internets" with this trailer. And, honestly, I could care less what the general consesus is.

I know fuck all about the film except what I remember from the trailer that I saw from Transformers 12 hours ago, which is that I saw a blur of some generic people dealing with what looked like a fucking Biblical event happening in the middle of Manhattan. So, again, I saw no actual monster, nor shitty characters--just flashes of people at a party that any given person might be at and then, Fucking Blam, hell opens up on their reality. That's why the trailer was brilliant, that's why I'm hoping it wasn't some viral B.S., and that's why I hope to see this trailer take a major stage in the middle of whatever-the-fuck-this film is.

Fingers totally crossed for some Lovecraft carnage FTW.

The fact that I'm a chaod is a given, and you win that one. ;-)

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »
    Shoggoth wrote: »

Any reason?

If it's a movie about a giant monster brazenly rampaging through cities it's kinda counter to Lovecraft's whole literary style. He didn't write a lot of stories about giant monsters rampaging through highly populated areas. His horror was always about the barely perceptible and usually involved the horror being cloaked in speculation and mystery for the entirety of the story. It's almost always a mystery even till the end, and the adversary is very rarely realized or manifest for very long. This is of course not counting the dreamlands stuff, but I don't think that applies here.

I'm sure you could do a plot that stays close to the literal mythos, but I think it would end up betraying the atmosphere a great deal if you were to just stick a Lovecraft demon in the middle of a giant city.
    Cthulhu is one of the only adversaries that is ever beheld for any length of time, and really only in Call of the Cthulhu. I could be wrong and he might pop up maybe once more, but I think that's pretty much it. I just can't see him rampaging through a city, for pretty much two reasons:

It's not in the characters (or any HP Lovecraft monsters) style to be overt, and if Cthulhu was actually woken it would spell the doom for mankind more or less outright.

That said I will totally give this movie a chance as a generic monster movie. I'm not as excited as I was knowing more and more the people involved, but I'll probably go see it.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dude, but if it is
    Cthulhu, and did spell doom for mankind. Thatd be a good horror movie. Id like to see a moive where mankind was destroyed instead of barely saved in the nick of time

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Dude, but if it is
    Cthulhu, and did spell doom for mankind. Thatd be a good horror movie. Id like to see a moive where mankind was destroyed instead of barely saved in the nick of time
    Yeah, that'd be great. But I highly doubt that is going to happen. I also don't get why there are so many explosions, I see a Lovecraftian apocalypse as being a much less spectacular end. Unless that was the military fighting back, I could totally support that notion.

Del Toro is having a tough time pitching At the Mountains of Madness, and that is a pretty movie friendly story. It's not even that bleak, so I don't see something as extreme as a Cthulu apocalypse movie getting greenlit. At least as a blockbuster style movie. I just honestly have no faith in a big production and with the people involved so far making a Lovecraft movie of that magnitude.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The trailer certainly had a sense of "Holy crap this is scary but even scarrier cause man what is going on and liHOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT UNHOLY NOISE OF HELL!"

Whatever it is, as long as its not generic monster, im okay.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »
    ehwr.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is not important and just a coincidence. I know atleast one of those women is spotted in the trailer during the party, and then she is standing in the street behind the cameraman.
    standing right where the statue of liberty eventually lands, so I'm guessing she moved.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    UPDATE: They've put up a new photo on the site. It looks like they're going to keep adding to it like a photo scrapbook. My friends checked the 12:01 timestamp on the new photo against bible verses, and the only one we found was regarding Jesus feeding his people. I haven't checked any deeper into that though. Anyone see anything messed up in the picture yet? I can't make it out really well, but the tan guy in the lower right looks pretty fucked up. Could just be drunk though.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sorry, but if it's Cthulhu, then those people are way too close to it to not be gibbering insano-monkeys.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    saw it today.

the girl while running in the streets screams out, what is it?

and some dude says "i saw it, its a lion, its HUGE!"

VOLTRON THE MOVIE BITCHES!

delphinus on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    saw it today.

They say "It's alive."

Not "It's a lion."

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, it's not. Voltron doesn't bellow, blow lots of shit up, and then rip off the Statue of Liberty's head. Unless Uwe Boll is making it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    saw it today.

They say "It's alive."

Not "It's a lion."

no dude really. here's a link. its a video i took after i ran the trailer through a couple of voice and video filters. and this is what i came up with. do not fear the truth. accept it.

seriously all these people running the trailer through audio filters on the sounds from the trailer are ridiculous. are people expecting that the movie took actual voice excerpts from a monster or godzilla? (or whatever the heck that thing is)

delphinus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whatever it is, completely filmed with hand-helds, there's no way this movie won't be intense.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Whatever it is, completely filmed with hand-helds, there's no way this movie won't be intense.

Yeah, they said that about the Blair Witch Project, which I think only scares people who are afraid of sticks, leaves, and snot.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I guess we're stuck until August, then? No one on all of the interwebs has come up with any new info?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It can't be Cthulu, you cant fight Cthulu, you just see it and go mad and die. Any good monster flick has to have at least some kind of possible heroism, Cthulu doesn't allow for that.

I'm hoping some kind of biblical mumbo jumbo will occur.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln