As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Simulation argumment

VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
An interesting article I came across, the articale can be found here. Read the FAQ's for a kinda brief summary. What do you all think of this? Far fetched as it may be, I honestly cant say it isnt a possibilty.

The argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

Therman Murman?......Jesus.
VBakes on

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whoa.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Whoa.

"I can see them"

VBakes on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I knew it!

ege02 on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This... this is pretty stupid. Or should I say... amazing?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yet another interesting article

VBakes on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's one of those things that's as amazing or stupid as you want it to be. Looking at his propositions, the question will never actually "matter." The only time it would effect us is in analyzing our own existence.

That said, I ran into this argument a while ago and found it... fairly interesting. The papers are interesting as well, kind of like theoretical mathematics. Most of this has no practical application but I, for one, welcome our computer overlords.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know kung fu.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There is no Easter Bunny. Over there, that's just a guy in a suit.

Savant on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Yeah.

19991213h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.