As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sega Master System - just got, what to buy?

DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So I need me some games that are good for the classic SMS...

I currently have Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Time Soldiers, Thunderblade, and some other random stuff not really worth mentioning. What was classic?

I'm thinking I could use some Wonder Boy or Alex Kidd. Which were the best? Was Double Dragon as good as I remember? Did they put Outrun out for it?

WiiU ID - Draysoth1
Xbox Live - Draysoth1
PSN - Draysoth
Steam - Draysoth
3DS - 2320-6133-3744
Please let me know if you add me!
Draysoth on

• Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. Possibly Wonder Boy in Monster World also, I've only played the MegaDrive version of it.
    Dynamite Dux.
    Psycho Fox.
    Ghost House.

Just a few of the games I enjoyed back then.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Outrun was brought over, but from what I remember its not so great.

Lets see...

- Monsterland 3.
    - Sonic Chaos
    - Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
    - Double Dragon
    - Bubble Bobble
    - Mickey Mouse - World of Illusion
    - Ghouls and Ghosts
    -Wonderboy in Monsterland is good yeah, so seconded.
    -Speedball 2
    -Ys

Thats about it ...

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I seem to remember a basketball game?

Was it Nightmare Basketball? Basketball Nightmare?

I had a load of fun with that, I was always impressed by the graphics too :)

Aha!
    basketballnightmarebox.jpg

basketballnightmare06.gif

basketballnightmare11.gif

basketballnightmare08.gif

Cool, eh?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    Possibly Wonder Boy in Monster World also, I've only played the MegaDrive version of it.

I used to love Wonder Boy in Monster Land (think it's just the NA release of that game). I made it to the end boss so many times only to die quickly and have to start again. It was a great early platform/RPG hybrid for it's time. I can't remember any other games that I used to really like for that system though.

djklay on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love my Master System but I have to turn it on about a hundred times to get a game to play. Sigh.

My "games that hold up today list"

Sonic 1 is far, far, far better than the megadrive game. Less so with 2.

Micky Mouse and the Castle of illusion is another brilliant platformer.

To a lesser extent Asterix.

Lave II on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sonic 1 is all kinds of awesome, as is Wonder Boy III. Alien Storm is very similar to the Mega Drive version and lots of fun, and the Master System versions of Pac-Mania and The New Zealand Story are both excellent.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    speedball 2

speedball 2

speedball 2

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BUBBLE BOBBLE

precisionk on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    To a lesser extent Asterix.

I love this game to bits, possibly just because randomly thrown in is a right to left scrolling level. It sounds like nothing, but it used to give me so much trouble as a kid; it's just completely foreign.

I am also a massive Asterix whore though, which probably has more to do with it.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is the best Alex Kidd game by quite some way.

area on
  • Options
    Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A little clarification, there is a significant difference between 'Wonderboy in Monster Land' and 'Wonderboy in Monster World'.

Land is a port of the second Wonderboy arcade game, featuring the swords and monsters and stuff, but with a time-limit set against your health and a fairly linier adventure. It's also insanely hard.

World is a EU only port of the Genesis/MegaDrive game, although to be honest it's a bit gimped compared to the others. Also features obtusely long passwords.

But I second their recommendations, along with Outrun and Double Dragon. I would also recommend hunting down Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, probably my favorite in the series.

PROTIP; Holding down 1 and 2 as you power-up your system with Wonderboy in MonsterLand inserted will acctually let you play the Japaneise version, which is even harder than the English version (Enemies take more hits, etc).

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Double Dragon, After Burner, and Choplifter. I would recommend Altered Beast, but the SMS version kinda blows ass.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SONIC 1 for the love of god.

Wait, what master system do you have? doesn't it have a game built in? that was one of the most awesome features of my master system, alex kidd in miracle world being built in.

anyway.

Alex kidd in miracle world
    Sonic 2 (after the first zone it starts getting good.)
    Sonic chaos
    Scramble spirits is quite fun, more so with two people.
    Asterix. Nails hard but fun to play.
    Lemmings? kinda pointless cos you can find frikkin 100% authentic java versions of it now.
    Desert strike and jungle strike?
    ooh! ooh! streets of rage! can't remember if they did a SOR2 for the master system tho, i know they did one for gg. Just checked, they did.
    Space harrier with 3d mode!
    micro machines
    all the mickey mouse games.
    wonderboy in monster something

all classics. well, near enough.

malerik on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It may be rare, I've never owned a physical copy, but Golden Axe Warrior is the best Zelda 1 knockoff ever. I loved it to death.

The core gameplay is like... Zelda 1, almost exactly, with better graphics and stuff. It's pretty cool though, Zelda is a great game to rip off and Golden Axe Warrior does it well.

There are a lot of versions of games that are in superior forms on the Genesis / Mega Drive, I dunno, I'd skip that stuff on the SMS and get a cheap Genesis. Like, Wonder Boy in Monster World. I just re-bought Castle of Illusion for the Genesis and it's still fucking great. Never played the SMS version but if it's as good... and if you're not gonna ever pick up a Genesis... do it.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Unquestionable must-haves in bold.

Action Fighter
    Global Defense
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic Chaos
    Double Dragon
    Wonderboy
    Wonderboy in Monster Land
    Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap
    FANTASY ZONE
    FANTASY ZONE 2: THE TEARS OF OPA OPA

Fantasy Zone 3
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
    Shinobi
    Space Harrier
    SPACE HARRIER 3D
    OUTRUN 3D
    MAZE HUNTER 3D
    MISSILE DEFENSE 3D
    ZAXXON 3D

Poseidon War 3D
    Ghouls n Ghosts
    Outrun
    Hang On
    Psycho Fox
    GANGSTER TOWN
    Marksman/trap shooting
    Safari Hunt
    Rampage
    Ninja Gaiden
    PHANTASY STAR
    Rambo: First Blood
    Choplifter
    Transbot
    Lord of the Sword (But ONLY if you have the manual)
    Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion

off the top of my head. God I love the SMS.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone knows if theres regional stuff on the master system? Cos I has a copy of Super Space invaders and Outrun 3d (not mint though), and thougt of selling on some international website...

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Urgel wrote: »
    Anyone knows if theres regional stuff on the master system? Cos I has a copy of Super Space invaders and Outrun 3d (not mint though), and thougt of selling on some international website...

I import UK carts all the time. The SMS has a huge international market. No region settings.

However, you cannot play Japanese games on a US/UK system or vice versa.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My cousins had an SMS. I used to play that when I visited their house so much. I don't remember all the games they had, about 10-15 if I recall. But my favorites were Astro Warrior and Penguin Land. Astro Warrior probably doesn't hold up as well now, but Penguin Land was such a fun puzzle game. I still play it every once in a while on emulator. It is so unique. And it has a level editor which is cool.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My cousins had an SMS. I used to play that when I visited their house so much. I don't remember all the games they had, about 10-15 if I recall. But my favorites were Astro Warrior and Penguin Land. Astro Warrior probably doesn't hold up as well now, but Penguin Land was such a fun puzzle game. I still play it every once in a while on emulator. It is so unique. And it has a level editor which is cool.

I love astro warrior, but I never list it in "what SMS games should I buy" topics because most people wouldn't like it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Penguin Land was cool, I liked the level editor. Almost anything with a level editor becomes fun. Even the Lode Runner game on the Game Boy.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, Wonderboy III is my absolute favorite game from the 8-bit era, so that's a good one to get. One game it seems no one heard of but is a fantastic (If frustratingly hard) shmup is Power Strike. There's also Zillion 2: The Triformation.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When I was little my friend and I would use his SMS. Every time the jingle came up with the sega logo, my friend and I would always sing "Plaaaaayboooooy"

I don't know why.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Yeah, Wonderboy III is my absolute favorite game from the 8-bit era, so that's a good one to get. One game it seems no one heard of but is a fantastic (If frustratingly hard) shmup is Power Strike. There's also Zillion 2: The Triformation.

Why recommend Zillion 2 over Zillion? Zillion 2 is a generic action/platformer game. Zillion 1 was Sega's take on Metroid.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why recommend Zillion 2 over Zillion? Zillion 2 is a generic action/platformer game. Zillion 1 was Sega's take on Metroid.

Because I never played Zillion. :P

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Draysoth wrote: »
    So I need me some games that are good for the classic SMS...

I currently have Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Time Soldiers, Thunderblade, and some other random stuff not really worth mentioning. What was classic?

I'm thinking I could use some Wonder Boy or Alex Kidd. Which were the best? Was Double Dragon as good as I remember? Did they put Outrun out for it?

Some that have been said already:

Phantasy Star
    Zillion

One I haven't heard:

Govellius

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know if there's a Master System version (probably, though), but I always liked the Game Gear version of Columns more than the Genesis version.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am going to say this as hard as I can over the internet:

SHADOWRUN

first RPG I ever played and I loved it to death.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In regards to the Mickey Mouse Land/Castle of Illusion, I think Land of Illusion is better. Theres more exploration and better puzzles to solve. Castle of Illusion has clowns... CLOWNS GODDAMNIT!

If you're looking for a tough action game, go for Shadow Dancer. Its kind of like Shinobi, but harder and like the ninja Shoots bhudda or shinto in your face to kill enemies on screen. Radness.

And yeah, Zillion 1 over Zillion 2.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    JohnnyFirebirdJohnnyFirebird Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    I am going to say this as hard as I can over the internet:

SHADOWRUN

first RPG I ever played and I loved it to death.

Er... correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was a Genesis release. A great Genesis release (man, I wish I still owned it! Maybe it'll be a worthwhile virtual console game...) but a Genesis one nonetheless.

JohnnyFirebird on
  • Options
    JohnnyFirebirdJohnnyFirebird Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Of the stuff not mentioned.. hm. I loved Spellcaster, and Kenseiden. Both are japanese-folklore infused side-scrollers, but the former has some adventure / rpg elements too.

Avoid Lord of the Sword and Miracle Warriors - they're awful.

I enjoyed California Games as a kid, but I don't think that would hold up well.

And yeah, Zillion rocks.

JohnnyFirebird on