Options

Video Game Sales Numbers! Zack is my bishie.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I managed to find something on the attach rate of the original Xbox in Europe.
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/press/content/presscentre/releases/2004/01/pr03204.mspx

The great games in the Xbox portfolio contributed to the success. Xbox achieved a software attach rate of 5.2 in Europe in 2003, a testament to the fantastic choice of games offered by Xbox. Xbox achieved this attach rate in less than two years – no other console in this generation has reached this attach rate level so quickly in its lifecycle.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/articles/print.cfm?articleid=40330
    An article in September of 2003. One of the comments says
    Add in that because of DirectX, the XBOX games are cheaper to develop, Microsoft's reportedly lower licensing terms and the fact that MS has targetted dedicated gamers with the box, with a resultant attach-rate double that of Sony, and the success of the XBOX as a software platform becomes less of a surprise, no?
    I couldn't find anything on the attach rate of the PS2 in 2003 the uSA.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=2597
    20/11/2003
    European PS2 game sales now enough to stretch halfway around the world

All of those titles will be on shelves before Christmas, illustrating Sony's confidence in the PS2's performance over the coming months. According to the company, the software attach rate for the console in Europe is almost 6:1 - a healthy figure, and one which is likely to be boosted over the Christmas sales period.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, by 2012 the PS3 could be generating more software revenue than the Wii. 5 years from now.

Even if that happens to be the case, will that matter? At all? I'm pretty sure both all 3 console makers will have their new systems out by 2012.

And apparently the PS3 is still going to win this generation? Gotta give 'em credit for sticking to their guns, at least.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It seems that the very last "wait for ____", after your FF13s or MGS4s, is HD penetration.

Once people go HD, its over.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Look Scarab, you're missing something very, very important about revenue.

Look at the PS3. It's not doing very well, right? It's losing tons of money, and the execs are panicing and doing everything they can to control costs.

Yet the PS3 is bringing in tons of revenue. How can this be?

Time for an example, using made-up numbers. Let's say Game A sells 600,000 copies and becomes a moderate hit. At that sales rate, it has brought in $36 million.

But, due to a long development time, massive development costs (let's say it's an epic) and a big advertising budget it cost the developer $50 million.

Yes, you've generated lots of sales. But when the dust settles, the company's bank account has decreased by $14 million. Now what company in their right mind would call that a success? All the revenue has done has shrunk a ginormous debt into a really large debt.

The result? Unless the publisher has deep pockets (i.e., is Microsoft) and wants to take the loss as an attempt to get the series' foot in the door, they're not going to touch the series again, revenue be damned. It caused them to lose money.

Yet you keep saying revenue is as important, if not more important, than profit.

Time to explain why.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    So, by 2012 the PS3 could be generating more software revenue than the Wii. 5 years from now.

Even if that happens to be the case, will that matter? At all? I'm pretty sure both all 3 console makers will have their new systems out by 2012.

And apparently the PS3 is still going to win this generation? Gotta give 'em credit for sticking to their guns, at least.

Isn't Sony's plan to stick with the PS3 for another 9 years, because of some shit with Ninty and M$ having to rebuild their costumer base when they release a new system or something?

I'm fairly sure Sony has said over and over again that they're really going to be big next generation just you wait.

Khavall on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    R0b0Ky wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178996.html
    More reports of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
    In addition to its pan-platform market predictions, DFC also handicapped the three-way race between the most recent crop of consoles. It predicts that sales of all three systems--the PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360--will total between 180 and 210 million units by 2012. In the shorter term, DFC believes the Wii will continue its winning streak until at least the end of 2008, at which point the PS3 could start taking over.

"We could have a situation where the Wii sells more hardware units, but by 2012 the PlayStation 3 is generating more software revenue," said DFC analyst David Cole.
    I still don't see how they expect this shit to happen.

PS3 and the 360 have been selling more software units per month excluding one or two since all 3 consoles launched.

This is an entirely believable scenario in fact.

How exactly has the PS3 sold more software units per month than the Wii?
    Where did you hear that the XBOX 360 has an attach rate of 14?

You have posted various other dubious claims without revealing your sources or how you arrived at those figures.

You are about 5 posts too late man. Look up.

and before you say 'oh, gaf haha now thats reliable' it is. Look around, this information is floating all around you publicly avaliable on the internet. Shit, I specifically avoided quoting vgchartz because I question its reliability but if you want a quick n dirty answer go there.

You still haven't said how you got your XBOX 360 attach rate and how the PS3 is sell more software that the Wii.
    Really, at this point, it seems like you're just saying things to get people to disagree with you.

EDIT: by you, I meant Scarab, not roboky

You and roboky read the last 3 or 4 pages.

And read them throroughly please. that will answer all of your questions. Stop whining and keep up with the thread.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It seems that the very last "wait for ____", after your FF13s or MGS4s, is HD penetration.

I disagree, if Nintendo's blue ocean strategy actually works. People who weren't gamers before and buy the Wii won't give a shit about the PS3 or 360 doing HD graphics because they wouldn't have purchased those systems in the first place, and years of playing Wii games probably won't make them too eager to jump to a PS3 or 360 controller.

And, by the time HD penetration becomes the norm, Nintendo will release the Wii2 (Wiii?) which does HD graphics and gives you a blowjob at the same time.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

I disagree, if Nintendo's blue ocean strategy actually works. People who weren't gamers before and buy the Wii won't give a shit about the PS3 or 360 doing HD graphics because they wouldn't have purchased those systems in the first place, and years of playing Wii games probably won't make them too eager to jump to a PS3 or 360 controller.

And, by the time HD penetration becomes the norm, Nintendo will release the Wii2 (Wiii?) which does HD graphics and gives you a blowjob at the same time.

SuperWii.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You don't know me very well. I HATE HD

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

And read them throroughly please. that will answer all of your questions. Stop whining and keep up with the thread.

Yet somehow you still haven't explained where you got the 360's attach rate of 12 when sales analysis shows it's actually just above 6.

Pot, meet kettle.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

What possible rationale could you have for this.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    R0b0KyR0b0Ky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178996.html
    More reports of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
    In addition to its pan-platform market predictions, DFC also handicapped the three-way race between the most recent crop of consoles. It predicts that sales of all three systems--the PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360--will total between 180 and 210 million units by 2012. In the shorter term, DFC believes the Wii will continue its winning streak until at least the end of 2008, at which point the PS3 could start taking over.

"We could have a situation where the Wii sells more hardware units, but by 2012 the PlayStation 3 is generating more software revenue," said DFC analyst David Cole.
    I still don't see how they expect this shit to happen.

PS3 and the 360 have been selling more software units per month excluding one or two since all 3 consoles launched.

This is an entirely believable scenario in fact.

How exactly has the PS3 sold more software units per month than the Wii?
    Where did you hear that the XBOX 360 has an attach rate of 14?

You have posted various other dubious claims without revealing your sources or how you arrived at those figures.

You are about 5 posts too late man. Look up.

and before you say 'oh, gaf haha now thats reliable' it is. Look around, this information is floating all around you publicly avaliable on the internet. Shit, I specifically avoided quoting vgchartz because I question its reliability but if you want a quick n dirty answer go there.

You still haven't said how you got your XBOX 360 attach rate and how the PS3 is sell more software that the Wii.
    Really, at this point, it seems like you're just saying things to get people to disagree with you.

EDIT: by you, I meant Scarab, not roboky

You mean 3 or 4 pages of you talking about how revenue is more important than profits to corporations and pulling sales figures out of your ass?

R0b0Ky on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

I would like to know as well, as someone who owns an HDTV but the only current gen console I own is a Wii.

I've seen HD games and I'm not exactly dying to play them (I'll probably be Wii only for the next few years), but why would you actively dislike a higher resolution?

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

I would like to know as well, as someone who owns an HDTV but the only current gen console I own is a Wii.

I've seen HD games and I'm not exactly dying to play them (I'll probably be Wii only for the next few years), but why would you actively dislike a higher resolution?

First it's higher resolution then robot overlords are ruling the world!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Attach rates are pretty useless figures. They don't say much more than "people buy games for the consoles that they own" and we kinda knew that already.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

For me its my twisted sense of cost vs benefit.

-Higher costs across the board, from the consumer, to the hardware manufacturer, to the software developer. In a landscape where exponentially higher dev costs are an evermore problematic part the industry, this is something I'm very concerned about.

-I'm completely unaffected by the better image. Furthermore, the fun of the games remains unchanged.

So basically, I see no positives and only negatives.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

-Higher costs across the board, from the consumer, to the hardware manufacturer, to the software developer. In a landscape where exponentially higher dev costs are an evermore problematic part the industry, this is something I'm very concerned about.

-I'm completely unaffected by the better image. Furthermore, the fun of the games remains unchanged.

I agree, if DMK agrees, we should make this the offical page of the SDDF-Standard Definition Defense Force.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bump dammit

slash000 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ok well I guess I just wasn't sure what you meant by that statement. You think HD gaming is currently too expensive, that's understandable.

But the way you phrased made you sound like you are somehow offended by the the existence of HDTVs and think we should stay in 480i forever.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I agree, if DMK agrees, we should make this the offical page of the SDDF-Standard Definition Defense Force.

We need to get a website so we can receive the proper amount of ridicule.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    *bump

Attach rates only really mean anything in the context of the console they're attributed to.

Here's a question, though:

People throw the term 'attach rate' around all the time, but there are 2 meanings of it.

1. Attach 'rate' as in a number of games bought per systems for a (short) period of time.

2. The total number of software sold per system of the installed base.

The former is a small number, the latter tends to increase over time.

When people talkk about attach rates for system launches, they're usually talking about the number of games people pick up with the system or around that time. Usually the number is around 2 or 3.

Then as time goes on, people start talking about how much software has been sold for a system after a month or two.. during that time, each owner of System X may have bought two more games, putting the attach rate at 5 (the two games plus the 3 launch games they bought)

Sometimes people refer to attach rate for the month, or for an arbitrary period of time. "System X has had an incredible attach rate of 8.2 games for the period of Month A to Month B"

Sometimes people refer to the total games sold divided by the user base. Looking at the PS2, that number would be rather small, and the GCN would be rather enormous. As time goes on, a hugely successful game on the PS2 isn't going to be 'attached' to as many consoles regardless of how many sales it gets; a 13M seller like GTA3:SA is a small number compared to the 110M systems or whatever installed base, for example. But even considering that point in time of the PS2s life, a lot of the more hardcore gamers have increased their collections over time massively; hell, my personal attach-ratio is 80 software to 1 console. Numbers like that are diluted by tons of people buying PS2s for just GTA and Guitar Hero. The GCN has a few people buying it for Zelda and Mario, but is concentrated in its attach rate by the higher concentration of hardcore gamers buying 10 games to 1 system in large numbers.

As you can see, 'attach rate' is a confusing term. You could easily say that the 'attach rate' for the 360 is 12, and for the Wii it is 5. You could also say that the attach rate for the 360 is ~5, and the attach rate for the Wii is 4 or 5. And both statements might be true depending on the context.

edit: to DMK et. al: I agree. HD is cool and all, but it hardly has much affect for me in games. Gameplay is by far the overwhelming controlling factor for me. I'd like to see the transition to HD happen, but right now it seems like a convoluted mess of all kinds of things.

slash000 on
  • Options
    R0b0KyR0b0Ky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    *bump

Attach rates only really mean anything in the context of the console they're attributed to.

Here's a question, though:

People throw the term 'attach rate' around all the time, but there are 2 meanings of it.

1. Attach 'rate' as in a number of games bought per systems for a (short) period of time.

2. The total number of software sold per system of the installed base.

The former is a small number, the latter tends to increase over time.

When people talkk about attach rates for system launches, they're usually talking about the number of games people pick up with the system or around that time. Usually the number is around 2 or 3.

Then as time goes on, people start talking about how much software has been sold for a system after a month or two.. during that time, each owner of System X may have bought two more games, putting the attach rate at 5 (the two games plus the 3 launch games they bought)

Sometimes people refer to attach rate for the month, or for an arbitrary period of time. "System X has had an incredible attach rate of 8.2 games for the period of Month A to Month B"

Sometimes people refer to the total games sold divided by the user base. Looking at the PS2, that number would be rather small, and the GCN would be rather enormous. As time goes on, a hugely successful game on the PS2 isn't going to be 'attached' to as many consoles regardless of how many sales it gets; a 13M seller like GTA3:SA is a small number compared to the 110M systems or whatever installed base, for example. But even considering that point in time of the PS2s life, a lot of the more hardcore gamers have increased their collections over time massively; hell, my personal attach-ratio is 80 software to 1 console. Numbers like that are diluted by tons of people buying PS2s for just GTA and Guitar Hero. The GCN has a few people buying it for Zelda and Mario, but is concentrated in its attach rate by the higher concentration of hardcore gamers buying 10 games to 1 system in large numbers.

As you can see, 'attach rate' is a confusing term. You could easily say that the 'attach rate' for the 360 is 12, and for the Wii it is 5. You could also say that the attach rate for the 360 is ~5, and the attach rate for the Wii is 4 or 5. And both statements might be true depending on the context.

edit: to DMK et. al: I agree. HD is cool and all, but it hardly has much affect for me in games. Gameplay is by far the overwhelming controlling factor for me. I'd like to see the transition to HD happen, but right now it seems like a convoluted mess of all kinds of things.

Some guy on neogaf did some interesting analysis on "weeks of system ownership".
    OK, so... I've now bothered to do this. It assumes console sales are evenly spread out through each month. Of course this isn't exactly accurate, but close enough for GAFernment work.

X360:
    297.8 million weeks of system ownership / 6.2 million owners = the average X360 owner has had their machine for 48.1 weeks

PS3:
    46.2 million weeks of system ownership / 1.7 million owners = the average PS3 owner has had their machine for 26.6 weeks

Wii:
    91.6 million weeks of system ownership / 4.0 million owners = the average Wii owner has had their machine for 22.8 weeks

Now using some data posted earlier in this thread, some approximations and JoshuaJSlone's figure I calculate that the average Xbox360 owner in the US buys an average of 0.13 games per week.

If we estimate (a rather conservative one) that the average Wii owner in the US owns 3 games (not including packins) then the average Wii owner in the US buys an average of 0.13 games per week.

edit: error in calculation >_>

R0b0Ky on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

-I'm completely unaffected by the better image.
    Furthermore, the fun of the games remains unchanged.

I find this to be quite peculiar

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thats not to say I cant SEE the difference. Theres a clear difference between even composite and S-video. It just doesn't do anything for me. I cant bring myself to care. I use composite even though my TV has S-video capabilities and one of my gamecube cables has S-video on it, only because using the S-video would require me to push a single button everytime I played a different system because my others were hooked up via composite. Its not worth it to me to even press a single button to have it.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Weird

bruin on
  • Options
    ghstwrldghstwrld Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LOL at some of the business majors in this thread.

Revenue means shit all when profit margins are at an all time low.

ghstwrld on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Weird

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Weird

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Weird

Not really. I'm the same way. I can't justify buying a HDTV (or even a next gen console, lol) because while I can see a difference, it doesn't matter. The games still look great on an SDTV so I don't see the point of getting an HDTV when the SDTV works just fine. *shrug*

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the above is exactly the crux of the issue in Japan. I don't think the differance is enough to them to justify the huge jump in cost, not only on the consoles but for the games themselves. I think this leaves EVERYONE involved with a huge dilema: Ok they don't really care for HD gaming that much to bother spending the money so that leaves PS3 in a huge bind. They aren't exactly warm to American products, so even if the xbox was the same or just a little more cost as the Wii it still won't sell. However, what is "current gen" and popular over there: Wii, DS and to some extent PSP cannot handle what they have "envisioned" graphicly so they are really stuck. This is what is going to make this generation so interesting to watch unfold. Will Big houses in the east just "ride it out" with Sony and lose their asses on projects cause they won't sell enough copies to the anemic number of PS3 owners, to maybe be able to recoup those loses in a few years after some key price drops are fathomable on the system due to the materials getting cheaper? Or will they at the very least do multi-platform in the sense that they release their games over here in the west on 360 so they can generate enough revenue to at least break even? Or will they make crappy ass ports and side games that aren't worth a shit and slap them on the Wii to be the real bread winner to fund their "epic" projects on the bigger systems?

Namon on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    These are the Famitsu sales numbers (Media Create's numbers come out tomorrow):
    Famitsu

DSL 74000
    PSP 99000
    PS2 14000
    PS3 12000
    Wii 30000
    360 1700

1.Pokemon 584000
    2.CCFF7 470000
    3.Fate 53000
    4.ACE3 40000(197000)
    5.FFCC 22000(339000)

6.MP8 21000(801000)
    7.太鼓DS 19000(125000)
    9.家計 14000(194000)
    18.ブレスト 11000(96000)
    19.逆裁3 11000(117000)
    23.Hot Shot Golf5 9000(314000)
    28.Zelda PH 6000(784000)

But... But... But... I thought the PSP was dead...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Amazing. Who would have ever thought that a consoles sales would temporarily increase when one of the few guaranteed sellers for the game is released while the competitor is in the middle of the summer lull.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dunno the PSP may actually pick up steam now that it's not so rediculously priced. That price drop, plus a few games that look interesting now has me wanting one as well.

Namon on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Amazing. Who would have ever thought that a consoles sales would temporarily increase when one of the few guaranteed sellers for the game is released while the competitor is in the middle of the summer lull.

I wrote something but it came out wrong. So I'm falling back on titmouse's response.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Its definitely starting to build up a solid library. I think maybe one more price drop and the titles dropping this year should really get it rolling.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Not to mention that the DS is probably somewhere close to market saturation in Japan.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    Its definitely starting to build up a solid library. I think maybe one more price drop and the titles dropping this year should really get it rolling.

It might start having more software titles that don't drop off the charts after a few weeks, but I doubt anything can get even close to the popularity of the DS in Japan.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Not to mention that the DS is probably somewhere close to market saturation in Japan.

It is close to reaching the number of PS2s sold in Japan.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    These are the Famitsu sales numbers (Media Create's numbers come out tomorrow):
    Famitsu

DSL 74000
    PSP 99000
    PS2 14000
    PS3 12000
    Wii 30000
    360 1700

1.Pokemon 584000
    2.CCFF7 470000
    3.Fate 53000
    4.ACE3 40000(197000)
    5.FFCC 22000(339000)

6.MP8 21000(801000)
    7.太鼓DS 19000(125000)
    9.家計 14000(194000)
    18.ブレスト 11000(96000)
    19.逆裁3 11000(117000)
    23.Hot Shot Golf5 9000(314000)
    28.Zelda PH 6000(784000)

But... But... But... I thought the PSP was dead...

So you're going to post the Japanese numbers every week from now on? Even when Sony products don't do as well? :P

I tease. Yeah, Japan's been going ape over Crisis Core, so it's no wonder the PSP got a boost.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm surprised that Hot Shots Gold is still on the charts. It is doing much better than I expected.

Couscous on