Options

Video Game Sales Numbers! Zack is my bishie.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    Its definitely starting to build up a solid library. I think maybe one more price drop and the titles dropping this year should really get it rolling.

It might start having more software titles that don't drop off the charts after a few weeks, but I doubt anything can get even close to the popularity of the DS in Japan.

Oh. Yeah, I agree on that point. If RPGs are your thing its rapidly becoming a great platform for them.

Now if only the damn battery didn't start to die every 3-4 stages....

Kelor on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Amazing. Who would have ever thought that a consoles sales would temporarily increase when one of the few guaranteed sellers for the game is released while the competitor is in the middle of the summer lull.

I'd say it's pretty significant since this is the first time any system has overtaken the DS's sales since the freaking Wii launched last year and the last time the PSP beat the DS in weekly sales was a year and a half ago...

cloudeagle: Pfft, yeah right. Famitsu numbers usually aren't important enough to post, I just felt like stirring. I'm allowed to be bitter since people were predicting the PSP was doomed just six or so months ago.

And besides, the discussion has been pretty boring lately, it needed a boost. I nearly fell asleep during slash's post (sorry slash).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Amazing. Who would have ever thought that a consoles sales would temporarily increase when one of the few guaranteed sellers for the game is released while the competitor is in the middle of the summer lull.

Not to mention that the DS is probably somewhere close to market saturation in Japan.

It is close to reaching the number of PS2s sold in Japan.

Nintendo is going to have to use the WiFi connection to start to have the launch ones break to continue to sell new ones.

Or put out a new color. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The PSP sales are based on Crisis Core, period.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Htown wrote: »

Was the PSPee released over there? I'm assuming so. The hardware revision could also be a small factor, but probably not as much.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ronen wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »

Was the PSPee released over there? I'm assuming so. The hardware revision could also be a small factor, but probably not as much.

Kind of. Sony and Square Enix released 77,777 copies of a FFVII:CC bundle pack. It included a special edition PSP Slim as well as Crisis Core and (I think) a couple of other tidbits. Though the PSP would've received a similar boost anyway, just like when Monster Hunter 2 came out (which was the last time PSP sales hit 100k in Japan).

The stand alone PSP Slim doesn't come out until today... Or tomorrow for all you people with weird time zones.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    interesting. good for them :)

i wonder when sony is going to announce the psp2...it almost seems like we should be getting close to that time, though maybe not this year and rather the next.

Guek on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wii shipments in Japan have been like, half or a third of what they normally are over the last couple weeks. Are Nintendo hoarding units for the holiday season or focusing on shipping more to North America or what?

bruin on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Wii shipments in Japan have been like, half or a third of what they normally are over the last couple weeks. Are Nintendo hoarding units for the holiday season or focusing on shipping more to North America or what?

Hate to say it but they might be hoarding. For what?

Well....Galaxies is coming out soon.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Definitely hoarding. Reggie said they were stockpiling in anticipation of the holidays but they expect it to still not be enough. I think NA is getting more units now, though.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    Weird
    Hell yeah, HD is long overdue on consoles, fuck SD, it sucks now.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Definitely hoarding. Reggie said they were stockpiling in anticipation of the holidays but they expect it to still not be enough. I think NA is getting more units now, though.

wii's are in great abundance here in the states at the moment. for the past 2 weeks or so I haven't been able to walk into a store that sells video games and not see at least one wii on the shelf

Guek on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guek wrote: »

wii's are in great abundance here in the states at the moment. for the past 2 weeks or so I haven't been able to walk into a store that sells video games and not see at least one wii on the shelf

Same here. I wandered into a Best Buy that got tons of Wiis yesterday, so maybe Nintendo opened the floodgates.

Or maybe it's just a wacky coincidence.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    too bad they don't have a killer app in September...

doesn't battalion wars come out this month? that quaint little game ninty is pretending doesn't exists? i always have low expectations whenever they do that...and they're usually validated :(

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    too bad they don't have a killer app in September...

doesn't battalion wars come out this month? that quaint little game ninty is pretending doesn't exists? i always have low expectations whenever they do that...and they're usually validated :(

Nintendo's ad department is weird. They really don't do much advance advertising for games until the week before they came out. Metroid 3 was almost completely ignored too, and it turned out damn fine. So there's hope.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not to mention metroid prime 3 was released at the end of August so that could be a killer app for them.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Has the FFT remake for PSP come out yet?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Has the FFT remake for PSP come out yet?

October.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    EarthenEarthen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Not to mention metroid prime 3 was released at the end of August so that could be a killer app for them.

Regardless of how well it sells, Metroid Prime 3 is a killer app.

Picked up my copy 2 days ago, and it drew me in immediately.

Earthen on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    man what the hell is up with all the PSP hate

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    man what the hell is up with all the PSP hate

...what PSP hate?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ok maybe hate was too strong of a word

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PSP killed my mother, and raped my father. Also, I was tricked into buying one at launch.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This thread needs some kind of force to come in and defend the PSP against all the hate.

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TubaFrog wrote: »
    This thread needs some kind of force to come in and defend the PSP against all the hate.

God knows they have the time... Since they aren't playing any good games!! HAR HAR HAR!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think most people don't hate PSP - they've just kinda forgot or ignored it.

Kinda like the uglier/dumber sister of the cute/smart/interesting gal you're currently seeing.
    After you got the cute gal, you kinda forgot or ignore that she even had an uglier/dumber sister in the first place.

That's why everytime people get asked about PSP, they say "PSP?? Oh yeah, that one - yeah, I think it's got some good games or something. No clue, haven't had anything to do with it for a while."

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For this Christmas I have to decide between getting a DS(I've been playing up the Micro love for my handheld fix recently) or a PSP.

Yeah, it's not really a decision that will keep me up at night.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thats a good analogy. In this case though, the more interesting of the sisters is a total slut, had by everyone.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lulz!

urahonky on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thats a good analogy. In this case though, the more interesting of the sisters is a total slut, had by everyone.

The sister would also be a hermaphrodite. I hear she has two set of genitalia!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's the thing though - all the core guys know that she's a slut - a very good slut who's toned up, slim, and even got some operation to enhance herself, and she's so good she can even do different positions for almost all kinds of stuffs - and yet, she's still the girl you want to invite to your parents and families.

Of course, the fact that girls dig her is also a plus for any guy.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    pspnogamesbl4.png

I'm kidding! I've actually been playing my PSP a hell of a lot more than my DS in the past few months, due to DJ Max Portable 2 and a batch of rentals.

PSP hardware sales have been very, very consistent both in the U.S. and in Japan; most of the System Warzz soldiers in the trenches have moved on to the bloodier battlefields of Wii/PS3/360, and the PSP has been getting a lot of good games this year. But you don't hear about them a lot because -- as with any gaming system ever -- once a certain public perception has settled around a system it's hard to shake that off. Purple lunchboxes and $599 ololz included.

Now that most of the fanboys have moved on to slagging the next-gen systems, I find a lot less resistance to talking about upcoming PSP games. This fall I think only FFT and Dracula X Chronicles will remotely chart in the U.S., but next year has a lot of big names (God of War, the new Wipeout and, IIRC, Echochrome are the only ones I can think of right now). It's just really rough that the system's software sells like crap, and I'm sure it's in no small part due to piracy. A fair number of die-hard gamers likely bought the system solely for emu, and even though Sony fights FW cracks tooth and nail it's going to be a problem for the system's entire life.

At this stage in their lives, DS and PSP operate in two separate spheres of influence.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I should get a psp. Maybe I'll do that over christmas.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The sister would also be a hermaphrodite. I hear she has two set of genitalia!

For some people, it's a dream come true of getting two things for the price of one.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    (sorry slash).

It's all good man. :P

I start yacking a lot more when I'm either bored or putting off work that I have to get done.

Oh, so, PSP. Good stuff there. I'm tempted to get one just for the Metal Gear stuff.

slash000 on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Consider yourself lucky then. We had 72 Wii's for a special event, sold 50 on that Sunday and then sold the rest the next day. And even having sold that many, I had 8-10 people come in today asking about them.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I see so many more PSPs on the subways of NY than DSes. Like more than twice as many. I think it's like a manly man kind of thing or something. Note I am not slagging on the PSP here.

august on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    I see so many more PSPs on the subways of NY than DSes. Like more than twice as many. I think it's like a manly man kind of thing or something. Note I am not slagging on the PSP here.

I find anecdotal evidence interesting even if it's not proof of anything, of course.

I tend to see nothing but DSs out in the public... just about everywhere I go. I've seen a few PSPs here and there; seen a girl watching a movie here, a guy playing GTA there.

slash000 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Every other asshole also has a Scarface t-shirt on as well.

So yeah it's not really representative of anything out here. Still: PSPs everywhere. And they're all playing GTA or EA SPORTS IT'S IN THE GAME.

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bullshit, they're all playing emulated Nintendo games!

Dr Mario Kart on