As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Sales Numbers! Zack is my bishie.

• Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    So after DQ:S initial almost sell-out week, I wonder how SE execs are feeling about FFXIII now.......

Probably feeling pretty bad. :x

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NPD (USA) numbers for June are in (5 week period)

Hardware:
    DS - 561.9k
    Wii - 381.8k
    PSP - 290.1k
    360 - 198.4k
    PS3 - 98.5k

There's no GBA count yet but IGN is saying ~113k

Software:
    01. Wii Mario Party 8 -- 426.2k
    02. Wii Play w/ remote -- 293.2k
    03. NDS Pokemon Diamond Version -- 288.4k
    04. NDS Pokemon Pearl Version -- 214.7k
    05. 360 Forza Motorsport 2 -- 197.40k
    06. PS2 Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar -- 197.35k
    07. 360 Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar -- 177.6k
    08. Wii Pokemon Battle -- 157.9k
    09. Wii Resident Evil 4
    10. 360 The Darkness
    11. PS2 Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 2
    12. PS2 Transformers: the Game
    13. 360 Tenchu Z
    14. NDS New Super Mario Bros
    15. PS2 Tomb Raider: Anniversary
    16. Wii Super Paper Mario
    17. 360 Transformers: The Game
    18. PS2 MLB '07: The Show
    19. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii
    20. 360 Dirt

Pleased to see RE:4 made the top 10 with only 2 weeks on the chart.

EDIT: NPD corrected a typo - PSP is 290.1k, not 230.1k

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    weee~!

Guek on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So 360 is outselling PS3 2:1, and Wii is outselling both of them together by nearly 2:1?!

Wow.

And not one PS3 title in the software chart.

Will be interesting next month (July figures) what with the PS3 price shuffle and all, should shake things up temporarily.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not that I can really extrapolate from my own store with any degree of accuracy, but from what I can tell 360 sales and PS3 have gone up a decent amount so far this month, while demand for Wii continues to be absolutely batshit insane. So, if I were guessing, next month will have a smaller gap between Wii and PS3/360 but I don't think there's going to be a huge difference, tbh.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    too bad software doesn't sell on the wii

right

...?

Guek on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So 360 is outselling PS3 2:1, and Wii is outselling both of them together by nearly 2:1?!

Wow.

And not one PS3 title in the software chart.

Will be interesting next month (July figures) what with the PS3 price shuffle and all, should shake things up temporarily.
    Hmm, that's not quite right. Together, the 360 and PS3 have nearly 300k in sales, which only puts the Wii slightly ahead of the two of them together. However, looking at each one individually, the Wii is outselling the 360 nearly 2 to 1, and it's outselling the PS3 by nearly 4 to 1. Of course, the point of all this is that the Wii is dominating.

And of course, as usual, the DS is destroying everything in its path. Its bloodlust can not be quenched.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i still stand by the Wii being the 'second console' for a lot of those 360 and PS3 owners, as was predicted from the outset. Then you factor in all the new owners who aren't into the kinds of games you get on a 360 and PS3, and those numbers kinda make sense.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, my comfy -10 maths pants of retardation must have been on top of the laundry pile again.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, my comfy -10 maths pants of retardation must have been on top of the laundry pile again.

You may have just confused the Wii and DS numbers in which case your numbers would be pretty much right.

Still, glad to see the Wii is doing well software sales wise.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    what regions do those figures cover?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    what regions do those figures cover?

USA! USA!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PS3 - 98.5k

There's no GBA count yet but IGN is saying ~113k
    The PS3 should not be competing sales wise with the GBA.

Couscous on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i still stand by the Wii being the 'second console' for a lot of those 360 and PS3 owners, as was predicted from the outset. Then you factor in all the new owners who aren't into the kinds of games you get on a 360 and PS3, and those numbers kinda make sense.

There are definitely some people for whom this is true, but believe me, I've talked to a huge number of actual or potential Wii owners (15-20 per today looking for one, ugh) and I think a large majority of those people aren't going to be getting a 360 or a PS3 in the near future. It definitely has brought back in some lapsed gamers, given couples a system they both will play (I have a lot of young couples asking about the system), and given parents an easy "go-to" system in terms of the appropriateness of the content and the desire to see their kids do something besides sitting down.

A lot of these folks are not going to be getting a second system besides the Wii. It may also mean that not a lot of them will buy games in substantial numbers, but they will buy some, and what they choose to buy will be interesting to see.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

There are definitely some people for whom this is true, but believe me, I've talked to a huge number of actual or potential Wii owners (15-20 per today looking for one, ugh) and I think a large majority of those people aren't going to be getting a 360 or a PS3 in the near future. It definitely has brought back in some lapsed gamers, given couples a system they both will play (I have a lot of young couples asking about the system), and given parents an easy "go-to" system in terms of the appropriateness of the content and the desire to see their kids do something besides sitting down.

A lot of these folks are not going to be getting a second system besides the Wii. It may also mean that not a lot of them will buy games in substantial numbers, but they will buy some, and what they choose to buy will be interesting to see.

yeah, i can see that happening. I think if you took a poll of people here, you'd find a lot of them plan to own (in the near future) either a PS3 and Wii, or a 360 and Wii. I think that's my case, as i own a 360 already, and would consider a Wii as it might encourage my parents and other family members to get involved. I also want a PS3 in the future, but can't justify two high-priced consoles in the house. I'd imagine this is the case for a lot of the regular games-playing community. Then you get the lapsed gamers, parents, people who wouldn't normally pick up a console, and they're just adding extra sales on top.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a huge fan of the 360+Wii. I just wish that MS would release the new hardware that does not have the thermal whatever defect that causes so many of them to die. THE DAY microsoft puts the 360 without the 'ring of death' defect on the shelves is the day I buy one.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the 360+Wii. I just wish that MS would release the new hardware that does not have the thermal whatever defect that causes so many of them to die. THE DAY microsoft puts the 360 without the 'ring of death' defect on the shelves is the day I buy one.

I am the same except I am also waiting for at least a 100 dollar price drop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_c_th_more/103-3930999-3256640?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-7&pf_rd_r=19Y62S04G5TZQDEEHD4D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=293804301&pf_rd_i=468642
    Wii is back to the top position on Amazon.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Compared to last month (which was four weeks compared to June's five weeks, remember)

DS - 561.9k / 423,150
    Wii - 381.8k / 338,278
    PSP - 230.1k / 221,120
    360 - 198.4k / 154,932
    PS3 - 98.5k / 81,604

Everything seems up a bit, aside from the PSP. Looks like its price drop hasn't done much.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Hardware:
    DS - 561.9k
    Wii - 381.8k
    PSP - 230.1k
    360 - 198.4k
    PS3 - 98.5k

Sweet Jesus, it's going to consume us all.

I now know that one day, I will wake up in the morning, head downstairs and my kids will be sitting at the breakfast table, each playing their own DS. And I'll ask "Where ...... where'd you those?". And they'll all raise their heads and just look at me. And on that day, I'll know, deep in my soul, that I'm next.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    the DS has won the console wars, despite the fact that it's not even technically in the same bracket. You will all bow and suck its precious teat like babes to their mother. It has got you. It has got all of us.

I don't know whether to shudder or jump for joy

Guek on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am STILL literally LOL'ing right now!

Oh, and PSP = 290k. NPD admitted to the typo.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BTP wrote: »

How much better is 290k than 220k if you factor in the extra week?

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Hm. 221,120 divided by four, multiplied by five... 276,400 is what we'd get if May's trends continued.

So the PSP improved a bit, just like everything else.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    http://www.thestreet.com/s/sonys-ps3-price-cut-sparks-sales/newsanalysis/techgames/10369634.html?puc=_googlen?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    And since the new $499 price for the PS3 was announced two weeks ago, sales have increased more than 135% at the company's top five retailers, said Sony.

Total PlayStation hardware sales increased 161%, software sales increased 15% and peripherals sales grew 60% in the two-week period since the price drop was announced on July 9, said Sony.
    So it might actually slightly outsell the 360 slightly.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

70k better?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anecdotal lol:
    i have noticed an increase in PS3 sales thanks to the price drop. We're not in danger of selling out, but more people are buying ps3 than before.

Which makes the Sony decision NOT to make a final price drop on the PS3 all the more puzzling.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    killblueskillblues Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those DS numbers are insane.

killblues on
    MK: DS Friend Code -- 403.788.951.838
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wii takeover watch go! (Stolen from GAF)

Wii sales are about the same as 360 sales in Japan and the US combined as of the end of June.

US_Japan_June_2007.jpg

Wii should catch up worldwide within the month.

WorldwideHW-1.png

bruin on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You cant see the DS line because it is off the scale.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I really didn't expect the Wii to eclipse the 360's sales within 2007. I'm very interested to see how next month's worldwide charts look.

slash000 on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man I'm sorry I'm late. On the road for hours today.

Anyways OP updated.

There's nothing witty I can add here.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I really didn't expect the Wii to eclipse the 360's sales within 2007. I'm very interested to see how next month's worldwide charts look.

It's gonna happen next month. 360 may rally back into the lead in October depending on how many 360's Halo sells, but if the Wii keeps current production and sales it will probably have a permanent lead by this Christmas.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look at that wii. It's enormous and it just keep growing and growing!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone really care too much about sales when the DS is practically becoming a common household item at this point?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Look at that wii. It's enormous and it just keep growing and growing!

tumbleweed_ani_lblue.gif

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's gonna happen next month. 360 may rally back into the lead in October depending on how many 360's Halo sells, but if the Wii keeps current production and sales it will probably have a permanent lead by this Christmas.

Yeah, it's still a tough call for me, mostly because I expect Halo's release to really push a lot of systems.

Still.. the Wii continues to surprise. Halo 3 will be 'preempted' by Metroid, although Metroid isn't a huge system seller. But Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl in November/December, I should think, would counteract any amount of Halo 3 advantage.

So here's my guess: Wii/360 sales will tie up next month, but then the following month the 360 will pull ahead with the release of Halo 3, and then once Mario Galaxy and then Smash Bros come out, the Wii will pull ahead of the 360 by the end of the year.

After that point, I don't think the 360 will be able to catch up again.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Does anyone really care too much about sales when the DS is practically becoming a common household item at this point?

I still find the sales interesting. It really might become the best selling system ever.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yeah, it's still a tough call for me, mostly because I expect Halo's release to really push a lot of systems.

Still.. the Wii continues to surprise. Halo 3 will be 'preempted' by Metroid, although Metroid isn't a huge system seller. But Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl in November/December, I should think, would counteract any amount of Halo 3 advantage.

So here's my guess: Wii/360 sales will tie up next month, but then the following month the 360 will pull ahead with the release of Halo 3, and then once Mario Galaxy and then Smash Bros come out, the Wii will pull ahead of the 360 by the end of the year.

I think we're definitely going to see the gap in worldwide sales/month between Wii and 360 shrink from September through December, but I think once Wii has overtaken it (in a month), 360 wont be catching up any time soon (if at all, but that's really speculating).

bruin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I still find the sales interesting. It really might become the best selling system ever.

You mean the Wii or the DS?

DS has a pretty good chance. Wii I think will plateau before it reaches DS levels of sales (sales will still be astronomical but Ds is just so much more higher)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Mass Effect effect?

Bloods End on