Options

Video Game Sales Numbers! Zack is my bishie.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not manly enough.

august on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey...in truth...all people play on any system is EA games.

Sadly, us being the more informed gamers we tend to figure that their are some people(the majority of people ) who still think EA games are the standard.

I'll never forget the day one of my co-workers called Def Jam Icon good...I died a little inside.

As for the PSP...yeah it is getting better, I've been trying to decide whether I won it or the DS more at this point, and I'm still leaning more towards the DS. But the fact that it's making me think even a bit is a good sign I think.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    Every other asshole also has a Scarface t-shirt on as well.

So yeah it's not really representative of anything out here. Still: PSPs everywhere. And they're all playing GTA or EA SPORTS IT'S IN THE GAME.

A baseline PSP does make a decent MP3 player and movie player. To tell you the truth, when I still had a train commute I used it to watch tv more than I played my DS. Until Advance Wars came out. Then it was no fucking contest.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not manly enough.

Didn't you hear? they gave mario a gun. Two guns, actually. One in each hand.

Oh...wait a minute...that was shadow.
    uh well, they're going to appear in a game together soon. :?

Guek on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I see so many more PSPs on the subways of NY than DSes. Like more than twice as many. I think it's like a manly man kind of thing or something. Note I am not slagging on the PSP here.

Me too, plus I commute in via bus from NJ so I also see a bunch of PSPs on the ride into the city. But I think NYC, as a major metropolitan area, lends itself well to the PSP demo (remember that whole "urban nomad" thing?). People walk around or take public transit a ton, so they're in the market for a convergence games/video/audio device a lot more than people in the suburbs. Plus, people tend to make more money and spend more money, so the price factor isn't as big -- for the record, I see far more Blackberries and iPhones than PSPs.

Along these lines, I've always been surprised that the PSP isn't selling even better in Japan -- the prevalence of wi-fi and being in dense metropolitan areas lends itself perfectly to the area.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think there is a strong misconception that because the Ds is selling so well that the PSP is selling badly. It isnt. By handheld standards its doing extremely well and as a first console in the market breaking the Nintendo stranglehold it is a nigh on miracle to be so popular.

Sony should be really proud of the PSP, but like the PS3, no matter what success it has it will always be seen as a loser because it isnt first in sales. Another ailment of the industry I hope is cured soon.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Sadly, us being the more informed gamers we tend to figure that their are some people(the majority of people ) who still think EA games are the standard.

I'll never forget the day one of my co-workers called Def Jam Icon good...I died a little inside.

As for the PSP...yeah it is getting better, I've been trying to decide whether I won it or the DS more at this point, and I'm still leaning more towards the DS. But the fact that it's making me think even a bit is a good sign I think.

i do sometimes feel like a one-man EA defence squad, but they're actually making some decent games again.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Its more of an EA Defense Brigade. And I will sign up, sir!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I think there is a strong misconception that because the Ds is selling so well that the PSP is selling badly. It isnt. By handheld standards its doing extremely well and as a first console in the market breaking the Nintendo stranglehold it is a nigh on miracle to be so popular.

Sony should be really proud of the PSP, but like the PS3, no matter what success it has it will always be seen as a loser because it isnt first in sales. Another ailment of the industry I hope is cured soon.

Oh yeah, I agree -- I guess I was talking more in terms of PSP software, which tanks globally. :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Its more of an EA Defense Brigade. And I will sign up, sir!

okay, but i get to be the attractive team leader who all the ladies want

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/09/20/40gb-sony-ps3-cheaper-model-made-by-taiwanese-manufacturer-foxconn/
    The 40GB PS3 is becoming more and more likely.
    We have seen rumors for weeks about Sony planning a new cheaper 40GB PlayStation 3, but now it looks like it’s a little more than a rumor as it has been revealed that Sony has approached Taiwanese manufacturer FoxConn and asked them to make a lower-spec Sony PS3.

So now it looks like the company that produces Sony’s PS2s will now be making the new rumored 40GB Sony PS3 model.

What they mean by “lower-spec” is up for debate as it has been rumored that this could include losing some of the console’s USB ports or the loved backwards compatibility so that Sony can make the new PS3 very cheap.

Rumors flying around say that the price in the US for the 40GB Sony PS3 will be around $399, this could see a UK price of around £200 but as there us more tax etc in the UK it is more likely to be around £300.

This would then match roughly the Xbox 360 Elite’s price point, more news may come out at the Tokyo Game Show and we will update you when we get more.
    Source

TE]

Couscous on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

i do sometimes feel like a one-man EA defence squad, but they're actually making some decent games again.

Like what exactly? Seriously, I'd like to know. Spore is the only EA title on my buy list and probably will be the only one for a long while. I enjoy the Burnout games but I generally just end up renting them. I've no interest in Army of Two or their sports games.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Like what exactly? Seriously, I'd like to know. Spore is the only EA title on my buy list and probably will be the only one for a long while. I enjoy the Burnout games but I generally just end up renting them. I've no interest in Army of Two or their sports games.
    Interested in≠decent games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/09/20/40gb-sony-ps3-cheaper-model-made-by-taiwanese-manufacturer-foxconn/
    The 40GB PS3 is becoming more and more likely.
    We have seen rumors for weeks about Sony planning a new cheaper 40GB PlayStation 3, but now it looks like it’s a little more than a rumor as it has been revealed that Sony has approached Taiwanese manufacturer FoxConn and asked them to make a lower-spec Sony PS3.

So now it looks like the company that produces Sony’s PS2s will now be making the new rumored 40GB Sony PS3 model.

What they mean by “lower-spec” is up for debate as it has been rumored that this could include losing some of the console’s USB ports or the loved backwards compatibility so that Sony can make the new PS3 very cheap.

Rumors flying around say that the price in the US for the 40GB Sony PS3 will be around $399, this could see a UK price of around £200 but as there us more tax etc in the UK it is more likely to be around £300.

This would then match roughly the Xbox 360 Elite’s price point, more news may come out at the Tokyo Game Show and we will update you when we get more.

Hm, I'm all for a cheaper PS3, but I wonder what Sony could possibly take out to lower the price that much. Hardware-based BC is already gone, memory is cheap, and I'm not sure the USB ports cost anything significant. Then again, what all could Sony remove without breaking the thing (such as removing Blu-ray and making it unable to play early games)?

As for EA, Army of Two looks interesting, and the Simpsons game actually looks fun this time around. There's always Spore, and, ah, I'm a bit stumped after that. The usual sports games, and what else?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Skate....

Crysis....

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I see so many more PSPs on the subways of NY than DSes. Like more than twice as many. I think it's like a manly man kind of thing or something. Note I am not slagging on the PSP here.

It's also an urban thing.

The PSP's marketing has targeted an urban demographic for it's entire existence (That, or some imaginary demographic that likes fucked up chipmunks.) - and the software lineup backed that up. When I see a PSP being played on the subway, 75% of the time it's a basketball game. The other 25% is racing. (And the person playing is 20 something, male, and usually but not always black or hispanic.)

I know there are other worthwhile games for the platform - but the prevalence on the subways is due to basically one demographic that seems to have been targeted successfully by Sony.

dopplex on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think alot of the EA hate is just for the sports games. The other games they make are usually quality, but seriously, with Madden, after a decade we still have senseless penalty calls, lineman are uanble to reach out a hand to tackle someone without disengaging a block entirely, and you still run into large groups of people and just watch everyone glitch around until you get tackled? It's really inexcusable.

Sure, they add a few animations, maybe a new gameplay mechanic, and a new coat of shine, but it's still those little things that they just seem to refuse to addess. It's really a shame, because they games could (and should) be so much better than they are now, which is basically just shinier versions of Madden 2000. But people keep buying them, so they'll just keep doing it, over and over.

Maybe it's different with the other next-gen versions of the game (I like the Wii version, because the controls really make it fun, for me), but on the same coin, I'm almost positive none of their Wii offerings have even come close to pushing the limits of the console, in terms of AI or graphics, even considering the console's relative weakness. They've just added motion controls to '06, the smallest bit of visual shine, and a few more animations.

So yeah, EA is hated for being so lazy in their sports games, though their original games are usually pretty good.

/derail

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Skate....

Crysis....

Fucking ROCK BAND

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pretty insane first weeks for Crisis Core and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Media Create 9/10-9/16

01. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 487,000 / NEW
    02. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki no Tankentai - 300,000 / NEW
    03. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami no Tankentai - 269,000 / NEW
    04. [PSP] Fate/Tiger Colosseum - 55,000 / NEW
    05. [PS2] Another Century's Episode 3: The Final - 31,000 / 218,000
    06. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 24,000 / 131,000
    07. [WII] Mario Party 8 - 24,000 / 756,000
    08. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates - 24,000 / 316,000
    09. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 14,000 / 274,000
    10. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary - 13,000 / 195,000
    11. [NDS] Brain Age 2
    12. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day
    13. [NDS] Mario Kart DS
    14. [WII] Wii Sports
    15. [WII] Wii Play
    16. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.
    17. [PS3] Bladestorm
    18. [PS2] Jissen Pachinko Hisshouhou! CR Sakura Taisen
    19. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
    20. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3
    21. [NDS] Brain Age
    22. [NDS] Animal Crossing DS
    23. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2007: Club Championship
    24. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    25. [NDS] Gakken DS: Shin Toeic Test Kanzen Kouryaku
    26. [NDS] More English Training
    27. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5
    28. [NDS] Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber
    29. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2M
    30. [NDS] One Piece: Gear Spirit

NDS - 18
    PS2 - 4
    Wii - 3
    PSP - 3
    PS3 - 2

bruin on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man you're late with those. :P They're already up in the OP.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited September 2007

well i don't have an extensive list to hand, but as an (already given) example, where you've got Neversoft who've been putting out the same THPS game with minor alterations for the past many years, when EA announced they were making a skating game, i figured it would be the same thing with a different roster of skaters. Instead, it's actually an innovative and original approach to skating, and a welcome title to many people. Burnout Paradise looks to be doing something different with the series, and is getting some good reports. You may not be interested in Army of Two, but that's another that i snorted at derisively when i first heard of it, and have become more and more interested in as time goes on. Yes, there are iterations on their big-name franchises, but it seems there's also an increase in original, good-quality titles that could be considered a bit more risky.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Between Skate, SSX Blur and what I've seen and heard of Burnout Paradise, EA is definitely a lot more interesting to me than they were last generation.

I'm also a closer Tiger Woods whore, but I'm still on '06 PS2 because I play online with buddies. The changes in '08 looked interesting, but not enough for me to bite.

Lunker on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just a bit of stats -

FF7:CC has the biggest handheld day one sales for a Final Fantasy game, beating the previous record holder of FFIIIDS.

However, FF7:CC has thus far sold less than FFIIIDS in week one, implying that there's less leg power on this game. Furthermore, numerous reports have stated that FF7:CC has begun showing up used in multiple stores nationwide, as well as that it apparently failed to sell out. Anecdotal, so take with salt.

(And on a rather unrelated note, 'Battle on the Big Bridge' is so awesome.)

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    I've actually been playing my PSP a hell of a lot more than my DS in the past few months, due to DJ Max Portable 2 and a batch of rentals.

Same here. DJ Max Portable 2 is crack.

I try to give my DS love too, though, and it'll definitely get a lot of playtime once Phantom Hourglass is out.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Skate....

Crysis....

Fucking ROCK BAND

the problem with these -

Skate - a very established genre, EA have had no skating games, and this (although the gameplay is very different) is an obvious attempt to get in on THPS market segment.
    Crysis - An established developer, making a straight up FPS
    Rock Band - a direct competition to Guitar Hero, and wouldn't (speculation) even exist has guitar hero not been made.

I cannot think of a single EA game that isn't either
    A) A license
    B) Sports
    C) An established franchise
    D) An established genre

except for spore, and The Sims (but Will Wright is a bit of an exception, and hell, is there because EA bought Maxis)

It's not so much the quality of the games that matter to me, it's the fact that EA seek to homogenize solely for profit.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    To be fair to skate is is extremely good.

how exactly are you going to make a game in a non already established genre also? doesnt that cover all games by default. thats a little misleading.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Skate....

Crysis....

Fucking ROCK BAND

the problem with these -

Skate - a very established genre, EA have had no skating games, and this (although the gameplay is very different) is an obvious attempt to get in on THPS market segment.
    Rock Band - a direct competition to Guitar Hero, and wouldn't (speculation) even exist has guitar hero not been made.

A) A license
    B) Sports
    D) An established genre

except for spore, and The Sims (but Will Wright is a bit of an exception, and hell, is there because EA bought Maxis)

It's not so much the quality of the games that matter to me, it's the fact that EA seek to homogenize solely for profit.

While the new games do look interesting, I'll have to agree that originality still isn't EA's strong suit. The last non-sports, non-franchise/established creator, non-licensed game they did was, what, Black?

Though "established genre" is being a bit tough on them. Black was a FPS, but at least it was an original FPS.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah Lewie your stipulations would apply to a lot of developers like Nintendo themselves.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    and Black, whilst pretty good, was an FPS, with explosions. It was hardly massively original. And it was made by a Dev that they had purchased, not made internally.

edit:
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah Lewie your stipulations would apply to a lot of developers like Nintendo themselves.

ok, get rid of D and it is still mostly true about EA.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I call foul. Skate has literally nothing to do with Tony Hawk other than "riding on a skateboard." It's really the polar opposite of the goofy wacky Jackass-y vibe the series has taken as of late, and it's going for almost a simulation-like experience. Comparing the two is like trying to say PGR is a ripoff of Burnout. Most of the Tony Hawk crowd is likely to pass it over because it's not XTREEM enough, but it's been a critical darling for people looking for a viable alternative to THPS.

I don't know if I really count Rock Band as "an EA game," since HMX has had the idea in the backs of their minds for years. But this is specifically where EA's pull can be used for good: EA and MTV working together have the cash and the power to get song licenses and master tracks that HMX had no shot in hell of getting by themselves.

I can see in one respect boycotting EA because of its practices, but you also have to admit that you're forsaking genuinely good games for idealism. And you're also missing the forest for the trees: Skate, ironically, is a drastic reimagining of not only a skateboarding game's aesthetic but also the fundamental game design. Activision is the one who's been homogenizing Tony Hawk for years.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    skate is/was a tremendous risk. The THPS is an established and popular series, people are familiar with it and have been buying it for years. To being in a game with harder controls and a bunch of new, less well-known skaters (outside of those who actively follow skateboarding, anyway), is a bit of a gamble. Read the skate thread, and you see a fair few people struggling with the controls, or pining for the over-the-top combo crazy action they're used to. You then also see more people actually enjoying the satisfaction of mastering the controls and playing something new. It's still a skating game, yes, but there's really only been one established brand in that, so i really don't have a problem with them taking a crack at it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    oh, I do not boycott EA (strangers wrath, Black and freedom fighters sit proudly in my games rack) it's just that the majority of their games have little interest to me. A blind boycott would be silly, since it would be saying "I don't like how you behave most of the time, and I am not going to buy any of your products, including original inventive interesting games, just to spite you"

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    even C&C 3 was a big hit, although quite where the standpoint is on that. The games were kinda losing their appeal, then they did an about-face and went back to the style and presentation of the first games.

Oh, and releasing the original C&C for free was a good move.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Skate....

Crysis....

Fucking ROCK BAND

the problem with these -

A) A license
    B) Sports
    D) An established genre

The Sims is essentially an established genre now. It's been a long time since you could consider it either new or original.

I don't mind that EA isn't terribly original. They're like that hollywood studio that keeps making big-budget summer movies that are completely vapid but still viscerally enjoyable. They may not make you think, but watching things go BOOM can still be fun every once in a while.

Face it guys ... we're the art house snobs of the video game industry.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Further proof that the videogame industry is in some deep trouble.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    [

I like to think of myself as more of the guy who just like good games. I mean I don't spend all day obsessing over the "video are/aren't art" stuff, but I'm not going to sit down to a plate of shit and pretend it's chocolate pudding. I would be more of the guy who goes to the movies and raises an eyebrow when people think stuff like "Scary Movie whatever" is funny but go watch something like Superbad and be pretty entertained.

As for my EA thing...yeah it was directed more at their sports titles...they actually do seem to have a few decent titles these days.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Im the Ebert of the gaming industry. I either like something with unrelenting devotion or I despise it and damn it to the third circle of hell.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Im the Ebert of the gaming industry. I either like something with unrelenting devotion or I despise it and damn it to the third circle of hell.

This is good, as you review games :lol:

bruin on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So Bladestorm, whatever it is, is still on the list. That's probably a good sign for Sony.

jothki on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So what's this about new pokemon mystery dungeons?

DarkPrimus on