Options

Video Game Sales Numbers! Zack is my bishie.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So what's this about new pokemon mystery dungeons?

I loved the Blue/Red ones, so definitely interested. Probably just a updated Pokedex rehash though.

KiTA on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rock Band isn't really an EA game. It wasn't developed by an EA dev team. Harmonix developed it, and EA is publishing it. That's it.

If you want to say that EA is a 'crap developer', that's totally different than if you were to say that they are a 'crap publisher.'

I don't really love or hate EA. I like some of their games and dislike others. Some of their practices are questionable, sure, but I'm not going to hate a game dev'd/published by them necessarily because of that.

slash000 on
  • Options
    R0b0KyR0b0Ky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Skate....

Crysis....

Fucking ROCK BAND

the problem with these -

Skate - a very established genre, EA have had no skating games, and this (although the gameplay is very different) is an obvious attempt to get in on THPS market segment.
    Crysis - An established developer, making a straight up FPS
    Rock Band - a direct competition to Guitar Hero, and wouldn't (speculation) even exist has guitar hero not been made.

I cannot think of a single EA game that isn't either
    A) A license
    B) Sports
    C) An established franchise
    D) An established genre

except for spore, and The Sims (but Will Wright is a bit of an exception, and hell, is there because EA bought Maxis)

It's not so much the quality of the games that matter to me, it's the fact that EA seek to homogenize solely for profit.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14803

Considering Activision has overtaken EA as the top third party publisher in US during the first half of 2007 maybe EA is try strike back by going after some of Activision's established franchises.

Outside of that, Will Wright and some half-assed Wii projects (maybe Crysis) all that remains is the usual EA stuff. Although you can EA is doing more new stuff than it usually does.

R0b0Ky on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Last time I checked Crysis was not a Wii project, not half assed.

The Activision situation has made EA produce good games again because good games sell now. Activision has milked their franchises to the bone and EA is making quality again.

Have a cursory glance at their upcoming list and its a bit more than Will Wright and some half assed wii games.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    lol crysis on the wii

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    lol crysis on the wii

you could so do those graphics

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    R0b0KyR0b0Ky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The Activision situation has made EA produce good games again because good games sell now. Activision has milked their franchises to the bone and EA is making quality again.

Have a cursory glance at their upcoming list and its a bit more than Will Wright and some half assed wii games.

LOL... I meant that Crysis is perhaps an example something new and interesting that EA is doing (and NOT on the Wii).

Someone actually thought I meant Crysis was for Wii? D:

R0b0Ky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    R0b0Ky wrote: »

LOL... I meant that Crysis is perhaps an example something new and interesting that EA is doing (and NOT on the Wii).

Not really, but its a good line to jump on.

I get what you mean though.

EA isnt suddenly awesome, but they are moving. Something at EA is stirring, and the tide has turned I feel. Its a long way to go to regain trust and respect of the gaming community, but its happening.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

EA isnt suddenly awesome, but they are moving. Something at EA is stirring, and the tide has turned I feel. Its a long way to go to regain trust and respect of the gaming community, but its happening.

just as long as a balrog doesn't suddenly burst out and start devouring things

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A little late, but I will gladly take on the title of art house snob of the game industry.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

just as long as a balrog doesn't suddenly burst out and start devouring things

Someone needs to shop Will Wright's head onto Gandalf.

jothki on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

But they're not doing it!O_o they're just publishing it.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

But they're not doing it!O_o they're just publishing it.
    Well if they're a major source of funding and resources beyond the game code itself, you could easily argue they're 'doing' it. Taking the risk of funding a game is philosophically not that far from creating the game yourself.

If they're just marketing it and putting it on shelves, that's a little different.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PSP 95,487
    DSL 79,974
    Wii 26,181
    PS2 13,128
    PS3 13,101
    Xbox360 1,243
    GBM 714
    GBASP 122
    GC 97
    DS 15
    Wii still sells oddly little.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ive heard rumblings that Nintendo is shipping all the Wiis to america.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the lack of games for the Wii in Japan is more troubling than that rumour.

I don't think they've even got Mario Strikers Charged yet...

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    I think the lack of games for the Wii in Japan is more troubling than that rumour.

Next week is Strikers and yeah, there's been a game dry spell in Japan. Though nothing really changed from last week (PSP the exception with CC:FFVII), the Wii only dropped 3k.
    Wii and DS are fads confirmed

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »

Next week is Strikers and yeah, there's been a game dry spell in Japan. Though nothing really changed from last week (PSP the exception with CC:FFVII), the Wii only dropped 3k.
    Wii and DS are fads confirmed
    Wii continues to fail. Same for DS. PS3 performs superbly given there aren't any games for it. Same for PSP.

The point is, it would be very difficult for a FF7 spin-off on NDS to sell at or above the CCFF7 PSP level, no matter how the game is catered to the platform.

Some games just lose their magics where they are on other platforms, even when the brand power still exists somehow.

Couscous on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Where are those last two quotes from?

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

The point is, it would be very difficult for a FF7 spin-off on NDS to sell at or above the CCFF7 PSP level, no matter how the game is catered to the platform.

Some games just lose their magics where they are on other platforms, even when the brand power still exists somehow.
    That's fucking ridiculous. I suppose DQ IX has no chance, either?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Neogaf.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Neogaf.
    Oh. That explains a lot. I thought someone on this thread contracted terminal verbal (scriptural?) diarrhea.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Rock Band isn't really an EA game. It wasn't developed by an EA dev team. Harmonix developed it, and EA is publishing it. That's it.

If you want to say that EA is a 'crap developer', that's totally different than if you were to say that they are a 'crap publisher.'

I don't really love or hate EA. I like some of their games and dislike others. Some of their practices are questionable, sure, but I'm not going to hate a game dev'd/published by them necessarily because of that.

That pretty much sums up my opinions as well. The last EA game I bought was LOTR: Return of the King and the next one will probably be Spore. By the end of this generation, I wouldn't be surprised if I had more Microsoft games than EA ones and I don't even have a 360.

Oh and unless EA have bought Crytek, they aren't developing Crysis either.

titmouse: That first quote you posted (presumably from Neogaf) looks like a joke post to me.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nintendo shouldve put out a random special edition DS at 77k units and that wouldve completely counterbalanced the Crisis Core bundles.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nintendo shouldve put out a random special edition DS at 77k units and that wouldve completely counterbalanced the Crisis Core bundles.

i doubt it

you underestimate ff7 fanboys

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Have anyone here been checking out the TGS trailers for the Wii games?

It's really weird to see how much improved the supposedly shitty games are now.
    Games like NiGHTS, RE:UC, SC Legends all look really shitty the first time they were announced.

Right now the gameplay trailers shown for those games actually look pretty good - it's as if these 3rd parties are actually starting to take Wii audiences seriously.

Capcom is really trying to tie in RE:UC to all the mainline Resident Evil with all the trailers they've released so far. In fact, IGN even referred to it as RE:Fanservice....

NiGHTS:Journey into Dreams looked so bad when they released the first screens and now the game actually looks beautiful in motion and in fact conjures nostalgia of the original NiGHTS.

SC:Legends actually now looks like a decent brawler with pretty good graphics compared to the really really shitty screens when it was shown the first time.
    For anyone who's not seen the TGS trailers, check it out and you'll find out how much improved the engine is for SC:Legends now.

It's just really weird for me right now since I've been really used to big time 3rd parties slagging off on releases for the Wii. And when they actually try to make the game sell, it's a really weird feeling...

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Have anyone here been checking out the TGS trailers for the Wii games?

(snip)

I've tried, but game trailers doesn't seem to want to buffer for me today.

But Project O is looking absolutely fantastic in the screenshots. I can't wait to see that in motion.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i do see what you mean, Arde, The wii has some serious muscle this holiday.

The most disconcerting thing however is that none of these games are overly epic. While I'll probably by all of them, I do feel the absence of large, sprawling epic games. MP3 and galaxy will fill that void for now but I wish third parties would get on that too.

Guek on
  • Options
    MerceMerce Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

So yeah, EA is hated for being so lazy in their sports games, though their original games are usually pretty good.

/derail

Obviously not a Canadian/NHL fan. NHL 08 is insanely fun, realistic and hugely improved, and the reviews reflect it. 2k sports is a fucking joke when it comes to gameplay, and anyone who says otherwise is blinded by the depth of their Dynasty mode.

/derail again

Merce on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Merce wrote: »

So yeah, EA is hated for being so lazy in their sports games, though their original games are usually pretty good.

/derail

Obviously not a Canadian/NHL fan. NHL 08 is insanely fun, realistic and hugely improved, and the reviews reflect it. 2k sports is a fucking joke when it comes to gameplay, and anyone who says otherwise is blinded by the depth of their Dynasty mode.

/derail again

I can partly vouch for this. For the past week or two, everybody on my friends list has had NHL 08 playing. As for me, I'm the one Canadian in the country who doesn't give two shits about hockey, so I can't comment on if the game really is all that.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Merce wrote: »

/derail

/derail again

I can partly vouch for this. For the past week or two, everybody on my friends list has had NHL 08 playing. As for me, I'm the one Canadian in the country who doesn't give two shits about hockey, so I can't comment on if the game really is all that.

I CAST THEE OUT!

shryke on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As for me, I'm the one Canadian in the country who doesn't give two shits about hockey, so I can't comment on if the game really is all that.

Wow. That's like an Australian who doesn't care about cricket, or Australian rules football, or rugby league, or beer, or red meat.

Oh, wait. I just described myself.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    As for me, I'm the one Canadian in the country who doesn't give two shits about hockey, so I can't comment on if the game really is all that.

Wow. That's like an Australian who doesn't care about cricket, or Australian rules football, or rugby league, or beer, or red meat.

I am a British guy who dislikes beer, football and sexist jokes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Neogaf.

I love how you can act like NeoGAF functions as a singular entity, and that these quotes are in any way, shape or form representative of the general direction of the discussion there.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In this area (the Western US), it would be similar to not liking football or baseball, or talking constantly and endlessly about football or baseball. This also describes me. I don't shit all over anybody's favorite sport or anything; they're entitled to like sports if they so choose. It's just not my thing.

Norfair on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've seen the Crisis Core PSP in person.

Someone at a local GameStop actually ponied up the $400 for it.

I wasn't sure whether to be envious or not.

$400.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Hi5 Lewie :^:

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've seen the Crisis Core PSP in person.

Someone at a local GameStop actually ponied up the $400 for it.

I wasn't sure whether to be envious or not.

$400.

He’s $400 out of pocket for a game that you’ll be able to play soon enough. I’ve heard the game is pretty good, but not amazing. It would have to be incredibly amazingly spectacular to be worth $400 anyway.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

Check him for a plug, he's a Reploid.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If the guy is a big enough FFVII fan, he won't even blink at spending $400. In 1998 I was more than happy to throw down $80 for a new copy of the Sega Saturn version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter (with the ram cart), just because my brother's Saturn could play imports and the PSOne port was so horrible. Granted, $80 is a lot less than $400, but I also made a lot less money back then. But I didn't even think about it; I just knew I wanted it, and I paid it as soon as I had enough money.

Shit, I liked Parasite Eve enough to pay $60 for it and play it in Japanese, just because it was awesome. It also meant getting to play it six months before everyone else... and being horribly let down by the crappy translation. (I want a new Parasite Eve game that is NOT going to mobile phones, dammit.)

...er, what about them game sales? They sure do sell.

Norfair on