Options

Video Game Sales Numbers! Zack is my bishie.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Norfair wrote: »
    If the guy is a big enough FFVII fan, he won't even blink at spending $400. In 1998 I was more than happy to throw down $80 for a new copy of the Sega Saturn version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter (with the ram cart), just because my brother's Saturn could play imports and the PSOne port was so horrible. Granted, $80 is a lot less than $400, but I also made a lot less money back then. But I didn't even think about it; I just knew I wanted it, and I paid it as soon as I had enough money.

Shit, I liked Parasite Eve enough to pay $60 for it and play it in Japanese, just because it was awesome. It also meant getting to play it six months before everyone else... and being horribly let down by the crappy translation. (I want a new Parasite Eve game that is NOT going to mobile phones, dammit.)

...er, what about them game sales? They sure do sell.
    That was a terrible comparison

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Norfair wrote: »
    If the guy is a big enough FFVII fan, he won't even blink at spending $400. In 1998 I was more than happy to throw down $80 for a new copy of the Sega Saturn version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter (with the ram cart), just because my brother's Saturn could play imports and the PSOne port was so horrible. Granted, $80 is a lot less than $400, but I also made a lot less money back then. But I didn't even think about it; I just knew I wanted it, and I paid it as soon as I had enough money.

Shit, I liked Parasite Eve enough to pay $60 for it and play it in Japanese, just because it was awesome. It also meant getting to play it six months before everyone else... and being horribly let down by the crappy translation. (I want a new Parasite Eve game that is NOT going to mobile phones, dammit.)

...er, what about them game sales? They sure do sell.
    That was a terrible comparison

It wasn't meant to be a comparison, just more of a... ahh, I got nothing.

Norfair on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Wii continues to fail. Same for DS. PS3 performs superbly given there aren't any games for it. Same for PSP.

The point is, it would be very difficult for a FF7 spin-off on NDS to sell at or above the CCFF7 PSP level, no matter how the game is catered to the platform.

Some games just lose their magics where they are on other platforms, even when the brand power still exists somehow.

It's important to note that GAF has its own language, and about half of the posters (especially the Sales-Age regulars) often sarcastically emulate the raving fanboys that make up the other half. (I lurk GAF for the sales discussions and the occasional train-wreck meltdown when I need some cheering up.) In this case, the first quote is sarcastic and the second one is completely serious.

It's sort of a Turing Test for fanboys.
    AJR wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've seen the Crisis Core PSP in person.

Someone at a local GameStop actually ponied up the $400 for it.

I wasn't sure whether to be envious or not.

$400.

He’s $400 out of pocket for a game that you’ll be able to play soon enough. I’ve heard the game is pretty good, but not amazing. It would have to be incredibly amazingly spectacular to be worth $400 anyway.

I think the price is mostly for the limited edition PSP ... which is very nice looking, but still far beyond my own tastes. I paid $65 to get Ouendan 2 a day before everyone else, though, so who am I to judge?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://gonintendo.com/?p=25593

Some dude at Sega I've never heard of saying the Wii version of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is going to sell 4 million

Uhhhhh, I dunno

bruin on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    eh, maybe eventually. it wont within the year, that's for sure. I can see sales inexplicably picking up once the olympics start though....

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I mean, it could be a million seller in Japan. It definitely could, it's hard to say if it will really, because there's never really been a game released like this, there's nothing to compare it to. And I have no idea how it's going to be recieved in PAL and NA territories. I think with advertising it could definitely do well though.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    really depends on how good it is. from what i've read, it's fun and, much to my surprise, there hasn't seemed to be too much griping that it's a mini-game fest. i think ppl are taking it for what it is, a leisure sports game you can play with the family. in that regard, i think it'll be really successful.

AS LONG...and i must stress this....as long as there's a decent media push so people can see that the game is of pretty good quality and not some mindless shovelware.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    really depends on how good it is. from what i've read, it's fun and, much to my surprise, there hasn't seemed to be too much griping that it's a mini-game fest. i think ppl are taking it for what it is, a leisure sports game you can play with the family. in that regard, i think it'll be really successful.

AS LONG...and i must stress this....as long as there's a decent media push so people can see that the game is of pretty good quality and not some mindless shovelware.

Dude, Mario Party 8 has sold like 2 million copies worldwide. Probably more actually.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    Have anyone here been checking out the TGS trailers for the Wii games?

It's really weird to see how much improved the supposedly shitty games are now.
    Games like NiGHTS, RE:UC, SC Legends all look really shitty the first time they were announced.

Right now the gameplay trailers shown for those games actually look pretty good - it's as if these 3rd parties are actually starting to take Wii audiences seriously.

Capcom is really trying to tie in RE:UC to all the mainline Resident Evil with all the trailers they've released so far. In fact, IGN even referred to it as RE:Fanservice....

NiGHTS:Journey into Dreams looked so bad when they released the first screens and now the game actually looks beautiful in motion and in fact conjures nostalgia of the original NiGHTS.

SC:Legends actually now looks like a decent brawler with pretty good graphics compared to the really really shitty screens when it was shown the first time.
    For anyone who's not seen the TGS trailers, check it out and you'll find out how much improved the engine is for SC:Legends now.

It's just really weird for me right now since I've been really used to big time 3rd parties slagging off on releases for the Wii. And when they actually try to make the game sell, it's a really weird feeling...

Nintendo systems have always screenshotted poorly, I've found. Part of the reason I pay absolutely zero attention to screenshots anymore.

But the biggest rub for Nintendo third-parties has always been a dearth of advertising. Dewy came out this week and I've heard absolutely nothing about it -- no reviews, no ads, no commericals, maybe two or three forum impressions, but that's it.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    AJR wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've seen the Crisis Core PSP in person.

Someone at a local GameStop actually ponied up the $400 for it.

I wasn't sure whether to be envious or not.

$400.

He’s $400 out of pocket for a game that you’ll be able to play soon enough. I’ve heard the game is pretty good, but not amazing. It would have to be incredibly amazingly spectacular to be worth $400 anyway.

She. O_o As for the game, the CG(naturally) looks awesome, but I didn't see the gameplay.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Arde wrote: »
    Have anyone here been checking out the TGS trailers for the Wii games?

(snip)

I've tried, but game trailers doesn't seem to want to buffer for me today.

But Project O is looking absolutely fantastic in the screenshots. I can't wait to see that in motion.
    So true of so many games, but I think one epitomizes it for me: No. More. Heroes.

I was excited for this game. Then I watched the combo demonstration video, and while the guying playing freaking sucked I now have no qualms whatsoever about buying this game day one. That ammount of style plus Kill Bill style over-the-top combat plus lightsabers plus GTA plus professional 'wrestling' moves plus waggle? Where do I sign up?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I woke up this morning and told myself. "I think I'm gonna go buy a Wii."

I saw we had one in stock at work yesterday.

It's probably gone by now, however.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Tonight on Anecdotal News, everyone buys a Wii.

(despite how it looks, i'm not having a go at you)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I hear they announced a Blue Dragon DS. It'll outsell the 360 version at least 5:1.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Perhaps the magical Wii Smart car stopped by and dropped off 100 more today.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So I hear they announced a Blue Dragon DS. It'll outsell the 360 version at least 5:1.

so will Viva Pinata DS

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »

I am a British guy who dislikes beer, football and sexist jokes.

Hi5 Lewie :^:

Xagarath on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Where are those last two quotes from?

Neogaf.

I love how you can act like NeoGAF functions as a singular entity, and that these quotes are in any way, shape or form representative of the general direction of the discussion there.

He said where, not who.
    It helps when an RPG aimed at the Japanese is actually put on a console that the Japanese are actually willing to buy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »

I am a British guy who dislikes beer, football and sexist jokes.

bugger off to Wales Lewie :v:

So how many preorders have been made for Halo 3? Do we have any accurate data or estimations?

Leitner on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seriously? That's pretty cool, as long as it isn't a gimped spinoff. When are they releasing it? I immagine they'll try to avoid puting it up against the DQIX/FFIV/DQIV remake gauntlet, so maybe late 2008?

Shit, toss in ASH and I'll be able to play solid JRPGs on my DS for God damned ever just based on what's coming in the next year.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In more anecdotal news, I recently browsed 360 games at a Target.

The only game available for less than $30 was Viva Pinata, at $20. Goddamn, that game must have done bad. Truly a shame.

Speaking of the Viva Pinata merchandising machine Microsoft desperately wants to create, the Viva Pinata cartoon actually got picked up for a second season. What the hell? Did it actually get good ratings, or did Microsoft give the networks a pretty hefty bribe?

Edit: ...the hell? Blue Dragon DS? Screw outselling the 360 version 5:1, I'd put the figure closer to 15:1.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The only game available for less than $30 was Viva Pinata, at $20. Goddamn, that game must have done bad. Truly a shame.

Speaking of the Viva Pinata merchandising machine Microsoft desperately wants to create, the Viva Pinata cartoon actually got picked up for a second season. What the hell? Did it actually get good ratings, or did Microsoft give the networks a pretty hefty bribe?

Edit: ...the hell? Blue Dragon DS? Screw outselling the 360 version 5:1, I'd put the figure closer to 15:1.

erm no. 5:1 is a good estimate. 15:1 is verging on silly.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

What's verging on silly is how shitty the 360's selling vs. how hugely the DS is selling in Japan. It's completely in the realm of possibility.

If we're talking about U.S. sales, then it would be much closer.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

What's verging on silly is how shitty the 360's selling vs. how hugely the DS is selling in Japan. It's completely in the realm of possibility.

Blue Dragon 360 sold ~200k in Japan, you think the DS version is really going to sell 3 million?

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »

Blue Dragon 360 sold ~200k in Japan, you think the DS version is really going to sell 3 million?

Potentially.

Hell, the recent Media Create numbers show 60 DSes sell there for every one 360.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No we're, as always, talking worldwide sales. And for the DS version to sell 15 times as many as the 360 it would have to be one of the best selling games on DS. It will not happen.

Install base makes no difference when the game is not good. There are all kinds of crazy assumptions when you make a claim like that, A: The DS game is not shit, B: The 360 sales were only low because of the install base, which isnt true, and C: That the 360 sales were indeed low, while not spectacular they are certainly healthy. 100k in Japan already, dont know about rest of the world but Im gonna guess 500k by years end.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

408,600 360s have sold in Japan so far compared to 19,352,000 DSs. Blue Dragon sold really well for a 360 game in Japan.
    No we're, as always, talking worldwide sales. And for the DS version to sell 15 times as many as the 360 it would have to be one of the best selling games on DS. It will not happen.
    Blue Dragon hasn't been selling that well in NA, has it?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

408,600 360s have sold in Japan so far compared to 19,352,000 DSs. Blue Dragon sold really well for a 360 game in Japan.

Still, I just don't see it hitting 3 million. That would be make it like the third (or fourth or something) best selling DS game there.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Install base makes no difference when the game is not good. There are all kinds of crazy assumptions when you make a claim like that, A: The DS game is not shit, B: The 360 sales were only low because of the install base, which isnt true, and C: That the 360 sales were indeed low, while not spectacular they are certainly healthy. 100k in Japan already, dont know about rest of the world but Im gonna guess 500k by years end.

As I said, I was talking about Japanese sales, so don't make any assumptions about what "we" are doing. :P So the 15:1 sales are indeed possible.

VGchartz is down, but Wiki says Blue dragon has only sold a little over 100,000 in Japan so far. What makes you think it'll hit 500,000?

Edit: Bruin, Blue Dragon only sold 100,000 or so in Japan. So the target is 1.5 million. Which is admittedly a bit of a stretch, but possible.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

As I said, I was talking about Japanese sales, so don't make any assumptions about what "we" are doing. :P So the 15:1 sales are indeed possible.

VGchartz is down, but Wiki says Blue dragon has only sold a little over 100,000 in Japan so far. What makes you think it'll hit 500,000?

Edit: Bruin, Blue Dragon only sold 100,000 or so in Japan. So the target is 1.5 million. Which is admittedly a bit of a stretch, but possible.

blue dragon has sold 100k in japan

there are like 120k 360s in japan total

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Why are we somehow just talking japan? I can make all sorts of ludicrous claims. Like Halo 3 outselling Crisis Core 15:1 in America.

When you discuss game sales, its best not to exclude the 2 largest gaming markets and focus just on Japan.

Blue Dragon sold 100k. Worldwide itll hit 500k. A 5:1 ratio is a good estimate for DS sales in Japan. 15:1 is not. Blue Dragon on the DS wont sell 1.5 million I dont think.

But then again, you've played the game and seen all the media for it so I guess I cant make a judgement on the game this early without doing some research. Lets just base our entire argument on install base because we know that always rings true.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I believe Bullet Witch and Bomberman Act Zero are both $20 to $30 right now, and both of them are still $20 to $30 overpriced. But all of the Platinum Hits (PDO, Burnout Revenge, Kameo, CoD2, etc.) are all $30. It's even more difficult to find sub-$30 Wii software -- I'm waiting for Excite Truck to hit $30 new, $25 used -- and I don't think a single PS3 title is there yet.

$30 is the new $20, unfortunately. Next-gen tax affects the lower end of spectrum, too. :(

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    hyperbole, anyone?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Why are we somehow just talking japan? I can make all sorts of ludicrous claims. Like Halo 3 outselling Crisis Core 15:1 in America.

When you discuss game sales, its best not to exclude the 2 largest gaming markets and focus just on Japan.

Blue Dragon sold 100k. Worldwide itll hit 500k. A 5:1 ratio is a good estimate for DS sales in Japan. 15:1 is not. Blue Dragon on the DS wont sell 1.5 million I dont think.

But then again, you've played the game and seen all the media for it so I guess I cant make a judgement on the game this early without doing some research. Lets just base our entire argument on install base because we know that always rings true.

So... why am I not allowed to just talk about Japanese sales, again? Isn't this the thread that gathers Japanese sales figures?

And since the DS is outselling the 360 60:1 in Japan, I'd say 5:1 sales of Blue Dragon is lowballing it, but that's just something we'll have to disagree on.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    blue dragon has sold 100k in japan

there are like 120k 360s in japan total

From what I understand of the Japanese market, it's pretty commonplace to buy a console for one game, play the game, then sell the game and console back to the store. So while the raw unit sales : console install base numbers are fairly good, the install base is a moving target.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=135708
    "The original PlayStation lasted 10 years -- a tremendous innovation when other platforms died and were all but forgotten," Tretton told us in a recent interview. "The same thing is going on with the PS2, and I think that will be the case with the PS3."

He went on to say, "I don't think we expected nor we need to capture the lifecycle of the PS3 in the first nine months. We want to build evangelists, one consumer at a time, and it involves sacrificing in the short term before paying off in the long term."
    :rotate:

Edit:
    Sega corporate director Masanao Maeda has stated that he expects Mario and Sonic at the Olympics to sell 4 million copies when it goes on sale in November.

The statement was made at the Tokyo Games Show and reported by Bloomberg, and did not yield a specific time period for that sales figure, but the company will be looking for the Beijing Olympics next year to play its part - as well as continuing good sales of the platforms the game will be released on, the Nintendo Wii and DS.

The ambitious target is equivalent to almost 20 per cent of Sega's game sales in the last financial year, and is the same number as the original Sonic title sold when it was released in 1991.
    I doubt that it will sell that much.

Couscous on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sega corporate director Masanao Maeda has stated that he expects Mario and Sonic at the Olympics to sell 4 million copies when it goes on sale in November.

The statement was made at the Tokyo Games Show and reported by Bloomberg, and did not yield a specific time period for that sales figure, but the company will be looking for the Beijing Olympics next year to play its part - as well as continuing good sales of the platforms the game will be released on, the Nintendo Wii and DS.

The ambitious target is equivalent to almost 20 per cent of Sega's game sales in the last financial year, and is the same number as the original Sonic title sold when it was released in 1991.
    For reals, 4 million worldwide is just not going to happen unless there's some crazy fan base. Wii Sports has done ~2 mil in Japan, so if it managed to match that (not happening) it'd still need to be a million seller in NA and Europe. Lofty goal.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »

For reals, 4 million worldwide is just not going to happen unless there's some crazy fan base. Wii Sports has done ~2 mil in Japan, so if it managed to match that (not happening) it'd still need to be a million seller in NA and Europe. Lofty goal.

I think they assume that the game will have long legs because the Olympics aren't until the end of next summer. A slow burn 4 million maybe.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nah. The athletics game with pyramid head will sell more.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nah. The athletics game with pyramid head will sell more.

Or he's gonna come round yer 'ouse. And then e's gonna cut ya.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png