As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Greatest Power Ranger That Ever Lived

LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Birthday present for my best friend John.
Tommy-1-1.jpg

Lalilulelo on

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    What about the bad ass black dino ranger suit?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/BlackDinoRanger.jpg

Grifter on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think you went a little overboard with the bloom effect.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

He's on there, it's just the crazy bloom makes him not so visible.

Whippy on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    he is?!

Yeah tone down that bloom. It's becoming like the lens flare of the noughties.

Lly on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate it because those are the new rangers, not the originals, and I have a stick up my ass the size of former president Taft.

Other than that, as long as you didn't simply paint over or add filters to other original work, then it looks great. Personally I like excessive bloom once in a while, though I would like to see it if it were toned down a bit like others said.

Good job.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The composition looks like it really needs to be worked on. You've got the red ranger covering up the white rangers face. This really hinders the strength of the white rangers presence. Also, the black ranger's in the back and barely noticeable. He doesn't separate well from the others. The green ranger is pretty good, but my eye leads down to him and then ends there. Right now it looks like you just collaged a couple of google images of each ranger. Doesn't give it a good feel.

I'd start over with a different layout, but I'm assuming you don't have that time since it's for a birthday most likely very soon.

Anyways, keep up the work man!

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The black ranger is very hard to read. I almost thought he was some kind of cape for the red ranger.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I totally didn't even see the Black Ranger.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

look behind the red zeo ranger.
    and thanks guys, your crits are valid but I have the party at 6pm EST and I have to get back to playing ninja gaiden sigma. I'll prolly come back to it later before I get it printed out. But I did want black dino tommy to be kind of 'back there' and not immediately obvious. all the poses are original except for the green ranger (google green ranger and he shows up right away like that), but none of it is paintover/filtered. I really like the bloom though, for power rangers it seems appropriate to me somehow.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's a beautiful piece. The bloom is fine... I just think I couldn't see the black ranger at first because he's kind of hiding behind the red and green versions.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's a beautiful piece. The bloom is fine... I just think I couldn't see the black ranger at first because he's kind of hiding behind the red and green versions.

I second that. Make the black ranger stand up more so he's in more of the white space created by that ranger's neck.

The bloom is at a decent level, it looks all majestic and shit. That kind of crit is subjective anyway (if Gabe posted some of his recent work here I can only imagine how many people would tell him to turn down the bloom). The composition is okay as well - the white ranger's head is so large that the red ranger doesn't take away from it. It was instantly readable.

multimoog on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I hate it because those are the new rangers, not the originals, and I have a stick up my ass the size of former president Taft.

You do realize that the Green Ranger was from season one and that the character who plays all of the rangers in that image were played by the same civilian throughout the multiple series that they're from and he's the longest running ranger of all time, correct?

Wait...why am I getting into this shit? Nevermind.

Ok, I totally didn't see BDR behind the red costume. You have the three rangers kind of lined up and then he's just tucked in to the side. I guess it's a personal decision but I'll have to agree with the others in saying that it doesn't quite work. I agree with Whippy in saying that the bloom effect definitely distracts the viewer from seeing him. In any case, I hope that you revisit the piece since I think it's a pretty cool image. Have fun at the party, mate.

Grifter on
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aside from composition crits already made, the green ranger's helmet and his gloves look pretty smudgy and unfinished.

The black ranger definitely needs to be more obvious. I didn't see him either until Whipstitch pointed him out. :P

I have to say I like the bloom, myself.

Stasis on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I also didn't see the hidden ranger. I'm liking it overall, but the bloomy reflection in the wite rangers helmet looks too blurry. It seems like a reflection in a visor like that would be less blurry and more sharp.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this is cool, but it hurts my eyes with all that light.

are they standing right next to the sun or something?

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    that was the best ranger, it was so cool wen they put him in the series he was like, the mysterious outsider.... awsome!

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i really dig it! the only criticism i have has already been said, comp is a big deal for me, the bloom effect/light flare, whatever you want to call it is a little distracting and i didnt notice the hidden ranger at first either until i read a post talking about it, but i dont think it's bad or average at all i really enjoy it, keep up the good work!

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg