As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choices: which 360 should I get (If any)?

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So heres the deal.
I got my paycheck today, and it is $490. I have saved all the money I need for car insurance, so I have nothing better to do with this money.
I've decided that, after having very limited access to a 360 (one month out of a year, broken up into weeks), I should buy my own.
The thing is, do I go Elite or Premium?
I was initally set on Elite, but I don't have a HDtv that I can use whenever I want (Family use mostly), and the space is nice, but not really needed. To be honest, the only reason I wanted it was for the black finish (Lame, I know, but things like that make me geek out).
Any advice? I have games and XBL already, so I don't mind paying the $80, but that is 1-2 games I could be getting. I'm a bit stuck here...new and shiny or same old but cheaper...
And then there's not getting it all, since my parents take my games away come september due to them heavily affecting my school performance (I have, like, no self control). The money could be put away...

Local H Jay on

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone know if the Elites have been having the same hardware issues as the earlier iterations of the 360?

If it's built on a more solid set of hardware then I would rather go with the Elite for the sake of avoiding the headaches commonly associated with certain...rings. Oh, and the bonus features are really nice as well.

How old are you? Do you think you'll be moving out soon? Do you plan on getting an HD Tv when you move out?

I vote Elite.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, The only advantages to getting the Elite are the 120 Gig Hard Drive and the HDMI port. You only really need the larger hard drive if you are downloading the HD movies, and HDMI has a negligible improvement over component. And you even need a HDTV that supports HDMI anyway.

Also, Microsoft just extended the Warranty to three years today.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, if you don't have an HDTV, go Premium.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TheLong wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Elites have been having the same hardware issues as the earlier iterations of the 360?

If it's built on a more solid set of hardware then I would rather go with the Elite for the sake of avoiding the headaches commonly associated with certain...rings. Oh, and the bonus features are really nice as well.

How old are you? Do you think you'll be moving out soon? Do you plan on getting an HD Tv when you move out?

I vote Elite.

I've seen people open up the elites and compare motherboards. The Elite's capaciters are all smaller and it doesn't have any yellow ones. Whether MS is puting in 65nm chips or hand picking the best 90nm they have, it does use less power.

Sliver on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm 17, but I'm starting my Junior year of High School this year.
    I am working the rest of the summer, but this paycheck is probably the last one I'll get to choose what I do with it (My parents are gonna make me start saving soon anyway).
    It sounds like I might as well go Premium and buy a black skin or something, unless the Elites are better off in terms of Lights of Death department.
    I like the new warranty regardless, makes me feel better about this investment.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Well, The only advantages to getting the Elite are the 120 Gig Hard Drive and the HDMI port. You only really need the larger hard drive if you are downloading the HD movies, and HDMI has a negligible improvement over component. And you even need a HDTV that supports HDMI anyway.

Also, Microsoft just extended the Warranty to three years today.

The Elite's easier to hook up to a monitor (you can get a DVI-HDMI cable at Monoprice for cheap.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you don't already own a 360, go ahead and get the elite. Otherwise, invest in something else.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I say go for the Premium. Unless you really think you'll plan on downloading a lot of movie content from Marketplace, and you've got an HDTV that'll use the HDMI there's no reason to drop the extra money on the Elite.

As a side-note, MS just announced 360 warranties are extended to 3 years from purchase and anyone who's paid for a repair will be reimbursed. Yay responsibility! ... And maybe concern about class-action lawsuits too. :D

iTunesIsEvil on