As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

• Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just got the Halo 3 Zune(even though I care not for Halo, but limited editions make me happy), so far so good, the only problem I had with it is as soon as I connected it started syncing with all the music on my computer so it start loading up all my girlfriend's emo garbage. That took me awhile to sort out.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    do yall have any way of organizing videos on the zune itself? it seems to automatically sort by date.

ARGH!
    i've got episodes 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10, and then 5. drives me batshit.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys, get Xilisoft Zune Video Converter. I just got it the other day, and it's absolutely perfect. Videos convert relatively quickly to WMV, and I've had no errors or issues with it at all.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    My iPod broke last month, so I've been considering a Zune, because, really, who the hell is the video iPod trying to fool?

I was going to wait for the second generation Zune, though, which is expected to drop before the end of the year (as well as some kind of solid state Zune "nano")

Of course, now that I found out about club.live.com, I might just get MSoft to send me a free Zune...

Just recieved shipping confirmation on my free Zune.

It ought to be here tomorrow.

Say what you will about Microsoft being evil. They gave me a free Zune AND shipped it for free. That is "good guy" in my book.

Evander on
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm 7 pages too late, but just throwing it out there: My girlfriend bought a zune.. It's quite awesome, and setup wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mrots wrote: »
    So I just paid $239 for an empty Zune box.

Thanks, Wal-Mart.

Get a lawyer and raise some hell. I know I would, that is unless of course they somehow give you your money back...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For those of you wondering if you should get one, here's a white one, new, and for only $150!

http://www.woot.com/

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    alright, I am enjoying the hell out of my new Zune

even if I hadn't gotten a free one, I would probably buy one, knowing what I know now.

So, any concensus as to what cases are best? the little microsuede pouch is neat, and all, but I want something I don't have to fumble to control it through. Any other accessory necessities?

Evander on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    IMO the Zune doesn't really need a case. The only part of its body that prone to scratching is the screen, and a screen protector easily zaps that problem.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah, but I think screen protectors look tacky, and would rather spend a little more and toss a full case on there.

I mean, I know that the iPod is itself a scratch-magnet, but after looking at just how scratch covered my bod is, I would just feel better about putting my brown beauty in side of something.

Although I DO have the idea of covering up the brown with green accents color scheme. I'm glad that is the color they sent me, because it matches my eyes.

Evander on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've had my Zune for about 8 months now and I love the thing to death. I've been using the little microsuade pouch that came with my Zune and it's been working fine for me. I've been looking around for a case for it but nothing is really jumping out at me. What's everyone else using?

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    reddog wrote: »
    I've had my Zune for about 8 months now and I love the thing to death. I've been using the little microsuade pouch that came with my Zune and it's been working fine for me. I've been looking around for a case for it but nothing is really jumping out at me. What's everyone else using?

So far I'm not using anything. I usually just leave it in my car because that's the only place I really listen to music. Though I've thought about buying something to put it in, but I can't really see myself spending that much money on something to just put on my Zune when I doubt it'll get scratched where it's currently located.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This fits the Zune in the microfibre pouch plus the Zune headphones in their case almost perfectly.

I picked it out by accident. One of those "Orders $75+ get free shipping" and I was close enough to $75 that the case was less than shipping woulda been. Google says the case is about $10.

The Zune doesn't seem fragile but I'm lucky it was in that case when I knocked it off the counter into a pan of water once. I reacted pretty quickly. Case was soaked on outside and a couple of drops made it inside the nylon case onto the Zune but we're talking about total immersion for a second or so.

Think I'd have been fucked if it was just in the pouch.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    so, I'm really looking for something I can feel confident about tossing in my pocket for walking around campus/etc.

I like the idea of a hardcase, but I've also been trying to see if there is maybe some kind of leather flipcase that doesn't entirely obscure the color.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I was thinking of getting the Belkin Acrylic case but I can't find it for cheap!

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zunes don't play .ogg files, right? Does anyone know of a good converter for .ogg to .mp3?

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The dB Poweramp should be all you need to convert....music that is

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was thinking of getting the Belkin Acrylic case but I can't find it for cheap!

0o0o0 that does look pretty nice. Looks like it adds considerable bulk too.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I've been looking at both that and the Griffin Centerstage.

But I don't like the fact that they both feel the need to cover up the color of the device with aluminum.

Evander on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It feels good to have my Zune Pass back.

I had lost it for a while due to brokeness. Just resolved that little problem today.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This topic fails for a lack of the Creative Zen Vision: M, the best MP3 player on Earth that isn't an Apple.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    This topic fails for a lack of the Creative Zen Vision: M, the best MP3 player on Earth that isn't an Apple.

Considering this is a Zune topic, I would think the Creative anything would be irrelevant. Bye.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

I love your avatar and sig, but this is the Zune thread. :P

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »

I had lost it for a while due to brokeness. Just resolved that little problem today.

apologies for the threadcromancy, but I wanted to ask about the worthiness of the ZunePass.

My Zune came sans 15 day trieal (can't complain, it WAS free), so I am not able to try it out myself, without paying for it.

Are you able to burn CDs using ZunePass'd mp3s? I like to make mix CDs, so if I could it would be pretty darn useful, but my bet is no, you can't, right?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

apologies for the threadcromancy, but I wanted to ask about the worthiness of the ZunePass.

My Zune came sans 15 day trieal (can't complain, it WAS free), so I am not able to try it out myself, without paying for it.

Are you able to burn CDs using ZunePass'd mp3s? I like to make mix CDs, so if I could it would be pretty darn useful, but my bet is no, you can't, right?

I don't use the ZunePass myself, but seeing as how you're basically renting the songs I'd say no as well.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I think they are on "secret sale" at Gamestop.

They may or may not be reduced to half-price accross the company.

I dunno if this goes for other Zune products as well. I just know that when I picked up one of these cases at a gamestop they scanned it and remarked that it was ringing up at half of the price that it was labled for.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

I don't use the ZunePass myself, but seeing as how you're basically renting the songs I'd say no as well.

yeah, that's what I figure, but I'd love to hear for sure.

Evander on
  • Options
    ArkkArkk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not sure if its been mentioned, didn't read the whole thread, but Apple supposedly is announcing an new ipod today. Might as well wait and see what happens before making any decisions.

Arkk on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

yeah, that's what I figure, but I'd love to hear for sure.

No you can't. However, I think you can strip off the DRM, though I haven't tried.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Arkk wrote: »
    Not sure if its been mentioned, didn't read the whole thread, but Apple supposedly is announcing an new ipod today. Might as well wait and see what happens before making any decisions.

Why?

Should we wait every time any company announces a new mp3 player, or only for Apple?

Why are they special? What was the last time they actually invoted in a meaningful way in the mp3 player market?

Evander on
  • Options
    ArkkArkk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wow....

They are announcing them today, its not exactly a wait, if they were announcing in a few months I wouldn't have said anything.

I would have said the exact same thing if ANY company was announcing a new mp3 player TODAY.

Arkk on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Would you, now?

Sorry if you think I'm over-reacting. If you like, I can PM you a run-down of exactly what Apple has done to economically hurt the mp3 market, ESPECIALLY for consumers.

The ipod itself is a fine device, but the business of the ipod has had awful economic implications.

Evander on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Would you, now?

Sorry if you think I'm over-reacting. If you like, I can PM you a run-down of exactly what Apple has done to economically hurt the mp3 market, ESPECIALLY for consumers.

The ipod itself is a fine device, but the business of the ipod has had awful economic implications.

I'd like to see this-do you mean how they keep releasing new models at the same price point, so there isn't a real price war with their competitors?

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My iPod broke last month, so I've been considering a Zune, because, really, who the hell is the video iPod trying to fool?

I was going to wait for the second generation Zune, though, which is expected to drop before the end of the year (as well as some kind of solid state Zune "nano")

Of course, now that I found out about club.live.com, I might just get MSoft to send me a free Zune...

Just recieved shipping confirmation on my free Zune.

It ought to be here tomorrow.

Say what you will about Microsoft being evil. They gave me a free Zune AND shipped it for free. That is "good guy" in my book.

Approx. how long and what game did you play for the zune? Seems like chicktionary is yielding the most points per minute.

At least it gives me something to do during teleconferences!

*edit*
    Looks like you started sometime early July, not so bad I guess. Spend everyday for about a half-hour?

tachyon on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was thinking of buying a FM transmitter for my zune. Anyone have any recomendations?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying a FM transmitter for my zune. Anyone have any recomendations?

None of them are any good, especially the zune branded one.

Shogun on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CHECK IT!!! http://www.apple.com/

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

None of them are any good, especially the zune branded one.

Yeah, I got that one and it's just kinda "meh". It's better than nothing, but it's nowhere near the quality I was hoping for.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    zimfan wrote: »

Yeah.
    Why post this?
    This is the Zune thread, there's already a new iPod thread.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    zimfan wrote: »

wooo ... 8 GB for only $100 more than a Zune or a Creative Vision M.

I know that the touch interface is nice and all, but that's a HUGE yawn.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
This discussion has been closed.