As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    brown zune FTW

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hahah yes local I made sure to get a brown when I bought mine. I don't have the original headphones though which were awesome, and had the cool magnets in them. I still use the little bag thing though

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i stole a white oneof those bags from my friend when i lost mine, those things are damn good. i have this nice leather case that doubles as a stand for videos. makes my zune a tank, it's gone down stairs and keeps on keepin' on.
    fucking zune LOVE

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    They do a lot of advertising here in toronto...specifically on the radio. A station called 102.1 the edge has commercials all the time. My brown 30 is still in perfect shape. Never had a problem with it and I use it daily.

Heh, speaking from a purely cynicaly point of view, the fact that the Zune is a brick and'll last a very long time might be a (sadly) minus for it's case. If you buy one Zune every 6-8 years, and one iPod every 2 years...well, do the math. The iPod has been out since 02 and has had 15 different models, not counting capacity differences. Zune's been out since 2006 (Wow, that recently? I thought it was longer...) and has 6 models.

I forget exactly where i was going with this, but numbers man! Numbers don't lie!

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    They do a lot of advertising here in toronto...specifically on the radio. A station called 102.1 the edge has commercials all the time. My brown 30 is still in perfect shape. Never had a problem with it and I use it daily.

Heh, speaking from a purely cynicaly point of view, the fact that the Zune is a brick and'll last a very long time might be a (sadly) minus for it's case. If you buy one Zune every 6-8 years, and one iPod every 2 years...well, do the math. The iPod has been out since 02 and has had 15 different models, not counting capacity differences. Zune's been out since 2006 (Wow, that recently? I thought it was longer...) and has 6 models.

I forget exactly where i was going with this, but numbers man! Numbers don't lie!

I know man! It's the numbers! The Apple is keepin' us down, man!

In all seriousness, there might be some validity to this argument. I could be mistaken, but I've always felt that for many, iPods were a kind of chic item--I've known people who'd be thrilled about their current model, but admitted they'd toss it away in 2 years (or however long) when a new one came--because it was a better model, because it had more space, and sometimes, because they wanted to stay "stylish".

It's harder to imagine that for a Zune. Add to the fact that it seems, at least physically, that Zunes are considerably more rugged and may have slightly-longer lasting internal components than iPods, and I think someone who exclusively bought Zunes would likely purchase fewer than someone who exclusively bought iPods. It might not be the case however--it's not an established fact like "More people own iPods than Zunes."

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys.

Shut up and stop trying to give MS ideas on how to rip us off.

Also, for podcasts that require subscriptions... can the Zune do that? Like, have you input a user/pass and such, and then you can download the podcast and stuff.

I'm not sure what the procedure is exactly, but I know you can do it in iTunes, so I'm just curious.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Guys.

Shut up and stop trying to give MS ideas on how to rip us off.

Also, for podcasts that require subscriptions... can the Zune do that? Like, have you input a user/pass and such, and then you can download the podcast and stuff.

I'm not sure what the procedure is exactly, but I know you can do it in iTunes, so I'm just curious.

uhh, I didn't even know of any podcasts that require "Subscriptions" other than clicking the little "subscribe button"

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »

Firmware updates go a long fucking way, man.

Think about it, the zune could have been 18 different models, but because of each major firmware patch, it is only 6.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Would anyone have any recommendation of a good flac to mp3 converter? I have these great songs but I can't seem to find a program that doesn't piss me off and if I'm going to fork the cash over for one, I might as well get a good one.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Have you tried Mediacoder?

Also, as an update to my own question earlier (Whether or not the Zune software supports podcasts that require user/pass): Yes, it does.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Would anyone have any recommendation of a good flac to mp3 converter? I have these great songs but I can't seem to find a program that doesn't piss me off and if I'm going to fork the cash over for one, I might as well get a good one.

I found this blog that has some links to appropriate software.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »

I use WinAMP, but I cheat. I stick a thumbdrive in, tell it that the drive is a media player it should manage, and to transcode the songs into MP3.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It isn't a really simple and straightforward solution, but I use ALL2LAME for my converting needs. It's a simple frontend for the LAME encoder, so you need to download that too. For FLAC support, grab it here, and this will tag all the things nicely for you.

You just need to point ALL2LAME to where those files are located, and it's pretty easy to actually use; just drag and drop the files you want to convert, and hit Encode.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, I need help. I've looked all over the internet, including official support sites, to no avail.

My Zune was working fine when I got it, but in the last few weeks, I've been having problems with it. Sometimes, but not all of the time, I can hear significant hard drive noise over the headphones. It's not the headphones; I tried several pairs.
    When the HDD revs up, it's very audible, and very annoying. Also, while scrolling through albums, it's very crackly and staticy. When a song is playing, louder songs drown the noise out, but it can still often faintly be heard (both the crackling and the HDD noise).

It happens a bit north of 50% of the time.
    Otherwise, I really like my Zune, so I want to resolve this.
    It's a brand new Zune 120 for reference.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, I need help. I've looked all over the internet, including official support sites, to no avail.

My Zune was working fine when I got it, but in the last few weeks, I've been having problems with it. Sometimes, but not all of the time, I can hear significant hard drive noise over the headphones. It's not the headphones; I tried several pairs.
    When the HDD revs up, it's very audible, and very annoying. Also, while scrolling through albums, it's very crackly and staticy. When a song is playing, louder songs drown the noise out, but it can still often faintly be heard (both the crackling and the HDD noise).

It happens a bit north of 50% of the time.
    Otherwise, I really like my Zune, so I want to resolve this.
    It's a brand new Zune 120 for reference.

That can't be good... at least it sounds like a hardware problem. If it's brand new, it should be under warranty. Just call Microsoft about it.

Have you tried different headphones?

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Have you tried different headphones?
    It's not the headphones; I tried several pairs.

Definitely sounds like your Zune is fucked up, man. My sister's doesn't have any of that shit wrong with it. Neither does my cheap USB thumbdrive-player thing, or my friend's 30/80/120 (Not sure which, it wasn't SSD though), or any iPods I've listened to.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like something's wrong with the HDD. If it's making that much noise while spinning might be a bearing or something throwing the balance off. I'd definitely either return/exchange it if you can, or call MS for a replacement.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually it sounds like a bad ground or short somewhere connected to the headphone jack. In any case, do what everyone else said and get it replaced.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey guys, I kinda have a seriously problem going on with my zune. I put it in my pocket, and then I just feel static building up, and I get zapped and my zune crashes and starts over.

Is there like any way at all to fix this? I wear normal jeans, a cotton sweater, and my zune is in a leather case, yet it still happens constantly unless I physically carry it in my palm. >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Actually it sounds like a bad ground or short somewhere connected to the headphone jack. In any case, do what everyone else said and get it replaced.

A friend of mine suggested something like this today. That's probably it.

Worst case, it is still under warranty.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey guys, I kinda have a seriously problem going on with my zune. I put it in my pocket, and then I just feel static building up, and I get zapped and my zune crashes and starts over.

Is there like any way at all to fix this? I wear normal jeans, a cotton sweater, and my zune is in a leather case, yet it still happens constantly unless I physically carry it in my palm. >_>;

You're not the first person to complain about this here. All I can suggest is living in a faraday cage.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You're not the first person to complain about this here. All I can suggest is living in a faraday cage.

That is still pretty strange. I've never had a static discharge problem with my Zune, much less one that crashed it. I assume you're not walking around a gigantic shag carpet all your life...

I mean, I dress more or less the way, sans jeans (I wear khakis almost exclusively). Wouldn't it take a hell of a charge to crash a Zune?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can someone recommend a black leather case? It doesn't need a belt clip or anything like that, but I wouldn't if it could stand my Zune up sideways for watching movies. I also would kind of like a case without the plastic screen that distorts the image or gets scratched.

I'm not sure this case exists. I haven't been able to find it.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a black leather case? It doesn't need a belt clip or anything like that, but I wouldn't if it could stand my Zune up sideways for watching movies. I also would kind of like a case without the plastic screen that distorts the image or gets scratched.

I'm not sure this case exists. I haven't been able to find it.

I've got Incipio's black leather case--it's tough and has a protective 'cover' that you open, but it does have a plastic window.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think this is fitted for the Zune 30 from the pictures, but perhaps they have different sizes for the other models? I had some EB cases years ago for my Handspring, and they are excellent build quality and it does not have a plastic cover, and the flipover can prop it up as well. You can also remove the belt-clip nub if you don't want it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

That is still pretty strange. I've never had a static discharge problem with my Zune, much less one that crashed it. I assume you're not walking around a gigantic shag carpet all your life...

I mean, I dress more or less the way, sans jeans (I wear khakis almost exclusively). Wouldn't it take a hell of a charge to crash a Zune?

I think it resets itself to protect itself. I've had it happen to me before, went away after I got a new pair of headphones. And it only happened in the cold.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I think it resets itself to protect itself. I've had it happen to me before, went away after I got a new pair of headphones. And it only happened in the cold.

It makes some sense that the Zune would protect itself from discharge, but still, that's....really weird. I've walked around with my Zune 80 in my pocket for more than a year, and never had a static charge that I noticed anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It makes some sense that the Zune would protect itself from discharge, but still, that's....really weird. I've walked around with my Zune 80 in my pocket for more than a year, and never had a static charge that I noticed anyway.

I have this happen almost at least 8 times a FUCKING DAY. Used 3+ pairs of headphones. Hell, one time, I opened the fridge to get my lunch, it reset, ate my lunch and put left overs back in the fridge, AND IT RESET AGAIN. It doesn't save where it crashed either, it resets to the last saved shutdown position, or close to it. Sucks when you're listening to a 3 hour podcast and have to find out where you left off at. Anyone know how long the warranty is or if I could get it repaired/something for free if I bought it around the same time as the halo zune?

But damn I love it still.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So ars techica has a defense piece up for the Zune (marketplace in particular) that's actually a pretty good read.

link

Only thing I can pick out of the article is the bit about not being able to see your purchased content separate from your subscription stuff... pretty sure it's an option right next to it in your account options.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I have this happen almost at least 8 times a FUCKING DAY. Used 3+ pairs of headphones. Hell, one time, I opened the fridge to get my lunch, it reset, ate my lunch and put left overs back in the fridge, AND IT RESET AGAIN. It doesn't save where it crashed either, it resets to the last saved shutdown position, or close to it. Sucks when you're listening to a 3 hour podcast and have to find out where you left off at. Anyone know how long the warranty is or if I could get it repaired/something for free if I bought it around the same time as the halo zune?

But damn I love it still.

...I'd hate to think of what happened to any unprotected electronics you might hold in your hand.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I've had an 80g since they released, and I now have upgraded to 120g. The problem is, I dropped the 80g one too many times. I think I dropped that thing at least once, maybe twice a day...and several times on hard concrete. It was a trooper but considering my job and the use of my Zune-I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Funny thing is-about 2 minutes after I opened up my new Zune 120g I dropped it starting the cycle all over again. This led me to my first purchase of a hard case for it. Call me a bit slow, but I think I finally learned that my clumsiness can be alleviated.

By the way, loving the new Red 120g.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yes, i have a huge leather case that destroys my ability to carry my 30gb in-pocket
    BUT
    it's survived tumbles down stairs, crowded hallways, and once my dog brought it to me in his mouth.

cases + expensive portable electronics = DO IT

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I retarded or is there a way to sort your library based on whether it's synced or not? Clicking on the column header does nothing for me.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Of all the earphones I've used, I like the Zune earphones the best, but I've had two go out on me. One of the earphones just stops working.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I really didn't like the earphones that came with my Zune. Luckily, I wasn't planning on using them anyway.

The problems I was having with my Zune that I mentioned earlier in the thread have completely resolved themselves. I didn't do anything, but I've been without the problem for a few days now.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My Zune headphones are still in the little baggie in the box. I never even took them out since I have 4 different pairs of headphones already.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So hey guys, do you know any way to tell if which songs you have purchased and which are on zune pass? :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Right click on the song, go to properties. In the DRM section, it has different things.

One says "Yes, expires x/x/xx, blah blah blah." Those are your Zune Pass songs.

The ones that say, "Yes, permanent license, has burn rights, has sync rights, etc." are the ones you purchased but didn't have DRM-free mp3s available, so they're WMAs with DRM that lets you "keep" it forever. I'm not sure how non-zune players or software react to those, though... I assume negatively.

If it just says "No" in the DRM field, it's an mp3 without DRM. Either you bought it (and it was available as an mp3 download) or imported it into the Zune software.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well uh, I have like 50 albums I want to check which songs are mine and which ones belong to the pass. Sure sounds like a crap ton of work. D:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oooooh.

Well, you could go to your Zune's music folder I guess. Whatever's inside the "subscription" subfolder is the Zune Pass music.

I set my Zune folder apart from my My Music folder deliberately, though, so maybe your setup is... different... or something.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
This discussion has been closed.