As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    DruG wrote: »
    Read somewhere that the Zune 2.0 upgrade coming out this Christmas was going to have access to a music store just like the iTouch can access iTunes, but that people would be able to trade songs between devices for a profit for themselves for marketing the music.

Anyone else heard confirmation of this rumour?

I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned in this thread.

No idea; Zune 2.0 rumors have seemed pretty scarce.

I've also discovered the wonder that is the Zune Pass. Holy shit. About a quarter of the stuff I want isn't available, but for the most part, it's still incredibly satisfying to get caught up on old albums, stuff I've lost, and albums I've always meant to pick up.

What happens if I kill the Pass? Obviously I can't download new stuff, but will the old stuff on my Zune blow up and disappear next time I connect? Not that I forsee cancelling anytime soon.

Yeah, without the pass, you lose the music.

Although, I'm not sure what would hapen if you killed it, then ONLY ever synced as a guest from then on.

Evander on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Read somewhere that the Zune 2.0 upgrade coming out this Christmas was going to have access to a music store just like the iTouch can access iTunes, but that people would be able to trade songs between devices for a profit for themselves for marketing the music.

There's no way a system like that can be abused.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A quick question for the more experienced users:

I made an auto playlist to pull in my podcasts, both audio and video. In the Zune software, it displays the items properly (all items, both audio and video, appear on the playlist). But when I try on the device, I can only play the audio items from the playlist. (Well, I can play the videos manually, but they don't appear on the playlist.) Am I doing something wrong, or is this some sort of glitch?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

I made an auto playlist to pull in my podcasts, both audio and video. In the Zune software, it displays the items properly (all items, both audio and video, appear on the playlist). But when I try on the device, I can only play the audio items from the playlist. (Well, I can play the videos manually, but they don't appear on the playlist.) Am I doing something wrong, or is this some sort of glitch?

Stupidly, I don't think the Zune device displays videos in playlists you assign them too in the Zune software (another stupid thing is naming both the device and the software "Zune"). I think the only groups you can add videos to are the default ones (movies, music videos, etc), and that only by using software to edit the meta tags. If you find a way otherwise, your ideas will intrigue me and I will wish to subscribe to them.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    DruGDruG __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

There's no way a system like that can be abused.

Well, you might be able to strip the restrictions from the media and play it, but it would be difficult to actually crack the system to steal money from it if every purchase requires some sort of unique (read: Windows Genuine Advantage) license key to be created and stored in a centralized database.

Unless you weren't being sarcastic.

I just automatically assumed you were.

DruG on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Your meter is functioning perfectly.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    smallmouth wrote: »

Stupidly, I don't think the Zune device displays videos in playlists you assign them too in the Zune software (another stupid thing is naming both the device and the software "Zune"). I think the only groups you can add videos to are the default ones (movies, music videos, etc), and that only by using software to edit the meta tags. If you find a way otherwise, your ideas will intrigue me and I will wish to subscribe to them.
    nope there's no other way

There IS something coming for existing Zune owners but Cesar hasn't even hinted at it. I imagine it's a pretty big firmware update... MAYBE podcasting support but I doubt it.

I'm not that picky... dealt with ipods for years... and the quirks were just in different places.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Weird, my Halo Zune did the battery thing too... Though to be honest, I DID figure it out.... I think... Its something to dow ith the Zune software not disconnecting the Zune properly when unplugged from a computer that's turned on... I loaded up my Zune with all my songs, and uninstalled the driver and haven't had the problem since...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    smallmouth wrote: »

nope there's no other way

There IS something coming for existing Zune owners but Cesar hasn't even hinted at it. I imagine it's a pretty big firmware update... MAYBE podcasting support but I doubt it.

I'm not that picky... dealt with ipods for years... and the quirks were just in different places.

The rumors I've heard were that the next firmware update is definitely podcast support.

so, yeah "definite" rumor

Evander on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So said Microsoft released a Zune 2.0 in the near future (6 months to a year). Are you guy happy enough with the brand that you would consider upgrading?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

What would be the big deal about it, then? If you can't steal the money, then it's a leg up on what exists now because you have the 'option' of making dosh from your legal collection.

One person's abuse is another person's fair use. I should be allowed to play my music on something other than the damned Zune.

I'd say Apple and MS are going to end each other fighting over who gets to create the POS device that fits in your hand and sells you shit from anywhere. They'll set the standards, then some other company will make the shit cheaper and better and they'll be relegated to the status of mere technological plumbers. It'll have to happen, otherwise they're both due for an Antitrust suit for killing what should be a seriously competitive marketplace.

DruG on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

What would be the big deal about it, then? If you can't steal the money, then it's a leg up on what exists now because you have the 'option' of making dosh from your legal collection.

One person's abuse is another person's fair use. I should be allowed to play my music on something other than the damned Zune.

I'd say Apple and MS are going to end each other fighting over who gets to create the POS device that fits in your hand and sells you shit from anywhere. They'll set the standards, then some other company will make the shit cheaper and better and they'll be relegated to the status of mere technological plumbers. It'll have to happen, otherwise they're both due for an Antitrust suit for killing what should be a seriously competitive marketplace.

Microsoft's marketshare is currently UNDER ten percent.

There may be some one who is due an anti-trust suit, but it is DEFINITELY not them.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So said Microsoft released a Zune 2.0 in the near future (6 months to a year). Are you guy happy enough with the brand that you would consider upgrading?

Enough that I would consider upgrading? Definitely.

The likelihood of me actually upgrading is pretty slim, honestly, unless there is a new feature that I see as a really big deal, or they come out with a MASSIVE ammount of storage space, or offer some kind of "trade in your old Zune for a discount" deal, but I will definitely be considering ANYTHING that they bring to market.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Also, that's a kind of flawed argument. If you are buying Music through the Zune service, you kind of know what you are doing.

it is the same as crying fair use because your XBox games won't play in your Wii.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    $hill-ing cha-ching $hill-ing

Holy ninjitsu, batman.

So I can't play my music on my old DVD player, which might have a better digital sound processor, just because Microsoft says I have to play my music either through my Zune or my M$ operating system-based computer?

I wouldn't really feel like I 'owned' my digital music.

It'd feel more like I was renting it until either I, or my hardware, died.

My parents have a record collection that could possibly be passed on to my grandkids one day.

Unless they feel like offering a life-time of free software and hardware recycling/upgrades/repair/replacement.

DruG on
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Neither Apple nor Microsoft are killing anything, the consumers are. When Microsoft got sued over the IE browser it was because they were bundling it with the OS with no other option and incorporating it with the OS so you had almost no other option than to use IE at some time.

That is a far cry from a bunch of people jerking it to Steve Jobs' Keynotes and buying whatever he dishes out so they can be cool rather than doing the research and seeing that much more capable, less locked down by DRM players exist. The market is there, its not competitive because people are being so damn retarded over Apple players. The Zune is an amazing media player that has an interface that I actually prefer over my iPod interface. I don't care how simple or "elegant" the iPod interface is, its about as boring as a pair of white socks.

I want the Zune where it changes things up, gives you some options for your interface. Or the Creative Zen series where it at least has some damn color.

But people will keep bending over for Stevie boy for the foreseeable future, which is unfortunate. Not saying the players are not good and should not be bought, but they should not be your one and only choice.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    VulnoX wrote: »

Neither Apple nor Microsoft are killing anything, the consumers are. When Microsoft got sued over the IE browser it was because they were bundling it with the OS with no other option and incorporating it with the OS so you had almost no other option than to use IE at some time.

That is a far cry from a bunch of people jerking it to Steve Jobs' Keynotes and buying whatever he dishes out so they can be cool rather than doing the research and seeing that much more capable, less locked down by DRM players exist. The market is there, its not competitive because people are being so damn retarded over Apple players. The Zune is an amazing media player that has an interface that I actually prefer over my iPod interface. I don't care how simple or "elegant" the iPod interface is, its about as boring as a pair of white socks.

I want the Zune where it changes things up, gives you some options for your interface. Or the Creative Zen series where it at least has some damn color.

But people will keep bending over for Stevie boy for the foreseeable future, which is unfortunate. Not saying the players are not good and should not be bought, but they should not be your one and only choice.

I like your style.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

I like your style.

I like your moves.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    GaaaAAAAAAaaaay....

DruG on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    GaaaAAAAAAaaaay....

What do the capital A's represent?

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    GaaaAAAAAAaaaay....

A rising and then falling tone of voice?

DruG on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    GaaaAAAAAAaaaay....

A rising and then falling tone of voice?

Ok that makes sense.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Holy ninjitsu, batman.

So I can't play my music on my old DVD player, which might have a better digital sound processor, just because Microsoft says I have to play my music either through my Zune or my M$ operating system-based computer?

My parents have a record collection that could possibly be passed on to my grandkids one day.

Unless they feel like offering a life-time of free software and hardware recycling/upgrades/repair/replacement.

Just because I call you out on a point where you are wrong I'm shilling?

Some one let MSoft know. They haven't sent me any checks or nothing, but I guess if I'm shilling for them they probably should.

Seriously, there is DRM-free digital music out there. You can also buy CDs at the store and rip them yourself. If you are buying DRM'd mp3s, you know full well what you are buying before hand, and you don't get to bitch because you SHOSE to buy the format that won't play on everything.

Your parents records? There'll probably be something around that plays them in the future. Your parents laserdiscs/betamax tapes/8 tracks, etc., those'll be quite a bit harder to find something that will play their format.

Just because something is digital doesn't mean that it has to be playable by anything that plays anything digital. That is NOT what fair use means, and yuou make a mockery of the concept of fair use when you missappropriate it to bitch because you don't like the DRM on the protec ted music that you COULD have bought in an unprotected format if you really wanted to.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

you could make the arguement that the bundling of iTunes with the iPod causes similar issues, if you really wanted to.

Evander on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cowon: The only word you need to know when it comes to portable media players. They support APE, Flac & WMA Lossless on almost every device and their video/mp3 player is having it's next gen version come out soon.

Krikee on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Krikee wrote: »
    Cowon: The only word you need to know when it comes to portable media players. They support APE, Flac & WMA Lossless on almost every device and their video/mp3 player is having it's next gen version come out soon.

so make a thread for them

I don't see what they have to do with Zune

Evander on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

"I'm considering buying a Zune but before taking the plunge I'd like to sample the masses of good ol' G&T."
    Sounds like he's on the fence to me...

Krikee on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Holy ninjitsu, batman.

newimage.jpg

*ahem*

That all taken care of, yeah, I agree on the upgrade sentiment; I'd consider upgrading, but it would take a huge feature difference (one I can't even think of) to get me to ditch my current device and shell out for a new one.

Firmware upgrades would be awesome, especially more wifi-based features.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

I know I just got the device, but so far I'm happy enough that I wouldn't consider upgrading (as long as we all got the Zune 2.0 software that theoretically would support podcasts).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

"I'm considering buying a Zune but before taking the plunge I'd like to sample the masses of good ol' G&T."
    Sounds like he's on the fence to me...

and if you read the thread, he's already bought a Zune by this current point in time.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Holy ninjitsu, batman.

Okay ...

(a) When you say M$ nobody even listens to anything else you have to say. I understand that every time you do it it's just one more tiny flea-sized jab at "the man" but it's mostly just idiotic.

(b) You don't own your digital music. You're licensing it. And part of the terms of the license is that you can only play it on the platforms listed. Don't like it? Tough shit. Go get the music under some other licensing scheme or buy the physical media. You aren't without viable alternatives ... make use of them.

EDIT: Also, on the original point, the sarcasm meter is going apeshit because any system that allows you to transfer music for money without an intermediary server authenticating it all is insanely vulnerable to a hacker coming along and spoofing sales to make insane profits. Also, it would require them to re-write the license to grant you some limited copyright abilities, which would probably kill half of their lawyers from the sheer shock of it.

EDIT: Oh, in case anybody's interested, my crazy Podcast scheme didn't work. I set Juice to download at midnight (which worked great), and then used the basic windows task scheduler to tell the Zune software to run at 1:00. The idea is that if I don't have the software already open, it should open up and autosync on startup if the device is plugged in.

The catch ... it autosynced and then refreshed the watch folders. So it ended up syncing the library without the new podcasts, then adding the podcasts to the library, then sitting there doing nothing like an idiot. Perhaps I'll tell the task scheduler to let it run for 10 minutes to do the initial sync, close, then re-open so that it'll transfer the podcasts. I want to give it adequate time to convert the video podcasts to wmv.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I wish I could find the article about people that use M$, it was a very good read.

I hate DRM, I don't think there is any excuse for it if you buy a song because it only limits your purchase. If they want to DRM stuff, then it might as well be free or .20 cents cheap. It only serves to make life harder and promote piracy. I buy all my computer games, I support the publishers and don't pirate. But I get so close to just giving up on them when they start putting in activation schemes that don't work, or the most annoying thing, having to have the DVD/CD in each time you play where there is no purpose other than for copy protection.

I don't want to carry my disks everywhere I take my laptop, I don't want to worry about damaging them and being out $50, I just want to install the game, CD-keys are crappy, but ok in my book, why do I need the damn CD in every time as well?

So what do I do generally? I get the no-cd crack. Call it whatever you want, I bought the game, I want to play it, not hunt for my BF2 DVD.

Same thing with music. I want to listen to it, not have to buy an iPod or Zune, then install its software, then use only its software to copy the DRM'ed music, then wait and hope there are no bugs in the software, and then and only then, finally hear my song.

Archos may have an ugly interface, but at least companies like them and Creative just let you drag and drop your music and videos without any crappy DRM issues or software.

Its not that hard to manage, we don't need DRM.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still don't see any big issue with just buying CDs(often this will be cheaper than buying them on iTunes, without a higher-quality physical backup) and then ripping them.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2007

EDIT: Also, on the original point, the sarcasm meter is going apeshit because any system that allows you to transfer music for money without an intermediary server authenticating it all is insanely vulnerable to a hacker coming along and spoofing sales to make insane profits. Also, it would require them to re-write the license to grant you some limited copyright abilities, which would probably kill half of their lawyers from the sheer shock of it.

This. I'm thankful for people like you willing to see my point immediately without me needing to explain it. I'm kinda lazy like that.
    Septus wrote: »
    I still don't see any big issue with just buying CDs(often this will be cheaper than buying them on iTunes, without a higher-quality physical backup) and then ripping them.

I fully support this idea as well. Hell, I'm almost surprised that the recording industry still supports these DRM-free monstrosities.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

The only digital media I've ever purchased is the Zune Pass; if I'm buying, I think the extra five bucks is worth having a physical back up, lack of DRM, and seeing the album with art in the artist's original format.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    (b) You don't own your digital music. You're licensing it. And part of the terms of the license is that you can only play it on the platforms listed. Don't like it? Tough shit. Go get the music under some other licensing scheme or buy the physical media. You aren't without viable alternatives ... make use of them.

You know, let's be perfectly technical here. You don't "own" your digital music, and you don't "own" your analog music either. What you own is a "code" (either physical, or a collection bits) that, when interpreted through a specific device, plays back music that is owned by some one else. Along with the "code" you also are granted personal use rights.

The music still belongs to the artist or the record label, though, not to you. When you buy the latest Harry Potter book, do you suddenly own the story, and the rights to do with it anything you want to? Of course not, J.K. Rowling still owns it, you've merely purchased a "code" that contains it (in this case the written word, which is interpreted by the human eye.) Just because the code is in a digital format, and we can no longer immediately see the differences between different code forms doesn't some how magically mean that they should all be the same. That would be like buying a book in Spanish, and being upset that it isn't in English.

And, to reiterate the format stuff, ou can't play your record collection in your tape-deck, and technically, backing up your records on to a blank tape, SOLELY for personal use, is basically the same as stripping DRM from an iTunes track (by the way, have you ever heard of anyone getting in trouble for stripping DRM solely for personal use? I've only ever heard about it as an issue in conjunction with file-sharing.)

I can't play a DVD in my VCR, or watch my cable television signal on my computer monitor (without having to purchase additional adapters).

Different formats exist, and that is not a bad thing. If you are worried about not being able to use a DRM'd format, then you shouldn't be buying DRM'd material in the first place, if nothing else, just because you are sending the message, by purchasing it, that DRM is okay with you.

Evander on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As far as 'upgrading' to a 2.0 Zune... I doubt I'd ever consider it. That mentality exists for fans... my brother-in-law for example... buys every Apple product. I have a Zune because it works great with everything I have and the value was fantastic.

Zune 2.0 will not change any of that

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I more than likely going to get an iPod Touch in the next month or so, but I thought the Zune had enough promise that if some interesting news about a Zune v2 came about before then I might wait.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The only digital media I've ever purchased is the Zune Pass; if I'm buying, I think the extra five bucks is worth having a physical back up, lack of DRM, and seeing the album with art in the artist's original format.

For me, the extra $5 is worth it to have the audio in a lossless format. Some music (especially classical) should really be experienced uncompressed every once in a while. Although not having DRM (and therefore being able to do cool stuff like share music across a network) is a huge benefit of buying CDs also.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

For me, the extra $5 is worth it to have the audio in a lossless format. Some music (especially classical) should really be experienced uncompressed every once in a while. Although not having DRM (and therefore being able to do cool stuff like share music across a network) is a huge benefit of buying CDs also.

For me its a lot more than $5 more since I rarely want all the songs on an album. I often just want one maybe two, and don't want DRM.

I guess the Zune pass is good because I could just put whatever on there and never have to worry about it, but I still have all my MP3's from almost ten years ago, I like to hang on to the music I find I like.

VulnoX on
This discussion has been closed.