As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the epic struggle of avi to gif!

Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
alright, after trying shitty program after shitty program, i've resigned myself to making a thread.

trying to create a new avatar, a gif, and... i've cropped the portion of an .avi file i want to use. for whatever reason, imageready hates this particular file (i have all the appropriate codecs) and only shows a blank, white screen whenever i drag it into imageready i've tried using 123 avi to gif, avi-gif, vidgif, vidavatar, lots of weird ass online gif programs... i'm so tired of none of them working.

can somebody either tell me how to fix imageready, if they've had this problem, or a decent avi to gif converter?

i've been struggling with this for like, two hours.

edit: alright, so further narrowing down of the problem is... it appears that ImageReady loves Quicktime, and for whatever reason, this .avi file won't play in QuickTime, with all the appropriate codecs.

soo... it looks like the real problem is figuring out why my QuickTime won't play this particular .avi file/codec. :/

i wanted love, i needed love
most of all, most of all
someone said true love was dead
but i'm bound to fall
bound to fall for you
oh what can i do
Xenocide Geek on

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    What I do is open the clip in virtual dub, and save it as an image sequence in a new folder. Then go into imageready and use the 'open folder as frames' option and now you have your animation ready for resizing and timing adjustments.

Unless you're on a mac... Dunno if there's any VDub type program for OS X.

bombardier on