As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wanna ROCK! (NSF56k/Hscroll)

• DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    I get the instant gratification angle. I just don't get settling for so little.

I don't see it as settling. It's a game and I want to play the game.

If playing Guitar Hero is just "settling" then you could say the same thing about thousands upon thousands of other video games.

Are you saying that you have never played a game that at least partially replicates some other activity without actually having done that actual activity yourself?

No, I'm not. For example, I play RTS games, but I did not follow a military career. Why? Because unlike fencing or karate, following a military career would mean making huge, ridiculous sacrifices/changes.

I'm talking about spending time to get good at a game because it imitates something you think is cool, but then not spending any time on the real-world skill. That seems silly. If you think it's so cool, why don't you also learn some of it for real?

You make it sound as though playing the guitar doesn't require a significant time investment or sacrifice (monetary or otherwise) of some sort. People play the game because it's easy to get into and it's fun. I've explained this before, but playing guitar is frequently difficult, expensive, and you have to really invest yourself in it if you want to keep playing for more than a few months.
    Defender wrote:
    Also, even if I learn to play guitar, I can't wake up on a Sunday morning, play a song in my pajamas with full band accompanyment, and then go right back to sleep if I want to. GH lets me do that.

Once again, you're arguing against the point "nobody should ever play GH ever! Everyone should play real guitar!"

That's great but it wasn't ever my point at all, so it's not really relevant.

It is relevant. He's not arguing against that point, he's arguing FOR the point why someone would rather play Guitar Hero than spend the time to play a real guitar.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drag wrote: »
    I get the instant gratification angle. I just don't get settling for so little.

I don't see it as settling. It's a game and I want to play the game.

If playing Guitar Hero is just "settling" then you could say the same thing about thousands upon thousands of other video games.

Are you saying that you have never played a game that at least partially replicates some other activity without actually having done that actual activity yourself?

No, I'm not. For example, I play RTS games, but I did not follow a military career. Why? Because unlike fencing or karate, following a military career would mean making huge, ridiculous sacrifices/changes.

I'm talking about spending time to get good at a game because it imitates something you think is cool, but then not spending any time on the real-world skill. That seems silly. If you think it's so cool, why don't you also learn some of it for real?

You make it sound as though playing the guitar doesn't require a significant time investment or sacrifice (monetary or otherwise) of some sort. People play the game because it's easy to get into and it's fun. I've explained this before, but playing guitar is frequently difficult, expensive, and you have to really invest yourself in it if you want to keep playing for more than a few months.

Yeah, it's not free. It takes time and effort and money. If it didn't, it wouldn't be cool. It would be like being able to fry an egg; not an impressive skill because anybody can learn to do that in like five minutes. A skill basically cannot be cool unless there's some kind of barrier to getting good at it. The point is that if you're a person who thinks that playing guitar is so cool that you'll buy a video game about it, well...you think it's really cool...so you should do it! I believe that a person should always strive to be closer to his or her personal ideals, and someone who thinks that playing guitar is cool should therefore try to learn some guitar. There's a difference between getting closer to your ideal and absolutely becoming that ideal.
    Also, even if I learn to play guitar, I can't wake up on a Sunday morning, play a song in my pajamas with full band accompanyment, and then go right back to sleep if I want to. GH lets me do that.

Once again, you're arguing against the point "nobody should ever play GH ever! Everyone should play real guitar!"

It is relevant. He's not arguing against that point, he's arguing FOR the point why someone would rather play Guitar Hero than spend the time to play a real guitar.

Uhh...No, he's not. His sentence started with "even if I learn to play the guitar," so his scenario is about a guitar player who also plays a video game about guitar songs.

Defender on
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was going to buy Guitar Hero one day, but then I felt stupid when I saw some acoustic guitars for less money. In the end I bought nothing!

bent on
    sig1.png
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

I am mistaken, then. I jumped into the middle of this. What is your point?

Oh someone waaaaay back said "I hate when people say 'Why don't you just play real guitar?' when I say I play GH," and I said something like "well, if you think playing the guitar is so cool that you game where you pretend to play, why don't you also learn a little bit of the real thing...you obviously think it's a pretty neat talent."

I'm still not totally clear on your point. Are you saying that guy shouldn't be bothered when someone asks him that?

Advocating that learning to play for reals would also probably be fun in additon to playing the game is fine.

But I think this fellow who was told "play real guitar" took it as "isntead" rather than "in addition to," which I don't think he would be completely incorrect in assuming that was the implication of the statement. I would probably take it that way if someone said it to me when I was playing the game.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Captain that is MYtired shtick!

but I thought we were bros D:

Turgid 4 lyfe, yo.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys.

I used to really love to play Battlefield 1942.

I guess the next logical step would be to join the army, right?

naporeon on
    edited July 2007

Oh someone waaaaay back said "I hate when people say 'Why don't you just play real guitar?' when I say I play GH," and I said something like "well, if you think playing the guitar is so cool that you game where you pretend to play, why don't you also learn a little bit of the real thing...you obviously think it's a pretty neat talent."

I'm still not totally clear on your point. Are you saying that guy shouldn't be bothered when someone asks him that?

Advocating that learning to play for reals would also probably be fun in additon to playing the game is fine.

But I think this fellow who was told "play real guitar" took it as "isntead" rather than "in addition to," which I don't think he would be completely incorrect in assuming that was the implication of the statement. I would probably take it that way if someone said it to me when I was playing the game.

Yeah, I'm sure that he was being asked in an "instead of" tone. And I understand that there's a huge difference in terms of time, money, and effort between the two.

My question was "well, hey...why don't you ALSO do the real thing, since you think it's so cool?"

The bolded part up there is the point I was making.

Defender on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think drumming on the lowest difficulty setting is going to be funny/stranger than the easy settings for Guitar Hero. Every time you hit the drums, you'll be getting a whole slew of hits.

tap (boom, tsik, takka-tap, boom, boom tappa tsik tsek)

Also, what is all this about the whole games versus real activity here? Guitar Hero is fun because it is pattern matching. Pattern matching under the veil of a whole part of our shared culture that appeals to youthful rebellious tendencies. People enjoy it more for the pattern matching more than the coolness of digital air guitar. The guitar controller is just window dressing on a rhythm game. The actual mechanics are just timing, like trying to shoot down spaceships when they come into your line of sight. But this time you aren't saving the world from aliens; you're just putting on a cool rock show for a crowd.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
    edited July 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I used to really love to play Battlefield 1942.

I guess the next logical step would be to join the army, right?

Boy, you are a dummy-dummy dum-dum. I already specifically used joining the army in an example in an earlier post. You are a slow, dumb child.

Defender on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

Yeah, I'm sure that he was being asked in an "instead of" tone. And I understand that there's a huge difference in terms of time, money, and effort between the two.

My question was "well, hey...why don't you ALSO do the real thing, since you think it's so cool?"

The bolded part up there is the point I was making.

Alrighty then.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited July 2007

Yeah, it's not free. It takes time and effort and money. If it didn't, it wouldn't be cool. It would be like being able to fry an egg; not an impressive skill because anybody can learn to do that in like five minutes. A skill basically cannot be cool unless there's some kind of barrier to getting good at it. The point is that if you're a person who thinks that playing guitar is so cool that you'll buy a video game about it, well...you think it's really cool...so you should do it! I believe that a person should always strive to be closer to his or her personal ideals, and someone who thinks that playing guitar is cool should therefore try to learn some guitar. There's a difference between getting closer to your ideal and absolutely becoming that ideal.

But playing Guitar Hero is fun. The "whoa I'm so cool I'm like a rock star" part is secondary to a relatively fun (if somewhat oudated) concept of hitting buttons in rhythm with lights on the screen and thus has absolutely nothing to do with guitar playing in and of itself.

No, it teaches you very little as far as actual practical skills go. Why does it need to? Why does it have to be cool to everyone else? Would it only be reasonable then to play games which only simulated events that are extremely difficult to reenact in real life?

Why play a short game of online pool when you're bored when you can drive over to the bar and play some real pool? Why play football/baseball/basketball video games when you can join some teams and play them in real life?

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still think Gitaroo Man is better anyway

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited July 2007
    Yeah you guys are just gaying up this thread. This thread is supposed to be a bunch of dude blowing their loads over pictures and info on Rock Band.

Not a bunch of dudes sword-fighting until they blow their loads in each others mouths.

If you'd like I'll even start a thread in D&D for your stupid asses.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited July 2007
    GSM, your post has an edit button which links to Berk's "bearly legal" post. Is that just cleverly hidden in your sig? If so, well done.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Well, I have to say, Cap....

This game has given me an erection for like six straight days.

naporeon on
    edited July 2007
    Shhhh, defender. I was going to use it to link to fun secrets, so the berk post was just a test to see how long it would go unnoticed. Apparently not long.

GSM on
    edited July 2007
    GSM, your post has an edit button which links to Berk's "bearly legal" post. Is that just cleverly hidden in your sig? If so, well done.
    Yes, no shit.

naporeon on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah you guys are just gaying up this thread. This thread is supposed to be a bunch of dude blowing their loads over pictures and info on Rock Band.

Not a bunch of dudes sword-fighting until they blow their loads in each others mouths.

If you'd like I'll even start a thread in D&D for your stupid asses.

what's wrong with some friendly argumentation from time to time

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    i will never take the time to learn how to play a real guitar

because that's for fags

also: don't you guys think amplitude was popular because it let people live out the fantasy of playing the "magical three button instrument"

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited July 2007

But playing Guitar Hero is fun. The "whoa I'm so cool I'm like a rock star" part is secondary to a relatively fun (if somewhat oudated) concept of hitting buttons in rhythm with lights on the screen and thus has absolutely nothing to do with guitar playing in and of itself.

I don't actually believe that this is correct. You're saying that the fun in this game comes from the substance. I'm telling you that I'm pretty goddamn sure it comes from the style. Now, if the substance were absolute SHIT, yes, I could see how you wouldn't like it. But I think that the real fun comes from the style.

Don't believe me? Test it out! Turn off the sound and play with a regular controller instead of a guitar-shaped controller. Yes, it'll be a little harder because the button layout is different and you can't cue off the audio, but really you're primarily cuing off the visual stimulti anyway, just like in DDR.

Without the song playing and without the guitar-shaped controller, the style is (mostly) stripped and you're playing a much more "pure substance" rhythm game. I guarantee that the vast majority of players will find that the game loses a lot of its fun value when that style is stripped away.
    No, it teaches you very little as far as actual practical skills go. Why does it need to?

Who said that the game "needs to teach actual, practical skills?" What are you talking about?
    Why does it have to be cool to everyone else? Would it only be reasonable then to play games which only simulated events that are extremely difficult to reenact in real life?

It needs to be cool to everybody else because the whole point of being a guitar hero, or fantasizing about being one, is that it's super-fucking-cool. That is the entire point of making a game about it!

And actually, yes, it SHOULD simulate something that's difficult to do in real life. Look at your favorite games. Almost all of them are very likely games that simulate things that are tough or impossible to do in real life. Very few fun games simulate doing mundane, simple, easy things that the player is already good at in real life.
    Why play a short game of online pool when you're bored when you can drive over to the bar and play some real pool? Why play football/baseball/basketball video games when you can join some teams and play them in real life?

Uh, once again, I didn't say that people should ONLY play real guitar and never play Guitar Hero. I even used the Soul Calibur example. I have played Soul Calibur with several friends of mine who were at roughly my skill level in fencing. I understand the difference and the need for both. Please stop using this example, it doesn't address anything I've said.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    Shhhh, defender. I was going to use it to link to fun secrets, so the berk post was just a test to see how long it would go unnoticed. Apparently not long.

When I was modding the Whining forum, I edited people's posts by accident sometimes.

If I want to edit my own post, Edit is the leftmost button in that little series of buttons at the bottom. If I want to quote someone else's post, Edit doesn't appear (because I'm not a mod here), so Quote is the leftmost button. Since I usually quote other posts and edit my own, that means that I'm ALWAYS pressing the leftmost button.

So I just hit yours by accident. That would be a great place for a trap. It's just so easy to hit that by accident.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Yes, no shit.

Could easily have been mod fuckery or joking around. Like when boddah had a custom PM button. Or Larlar's join date.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Yes, no shit.

Could easily have been mod fuckery or joking around. Like when boddah had a custom PM button. Or Larlar's join date.
    Oh, I wasn't saying "no shit" in the "duh" sense of the phrase.

I was echoing your sentiment.

naporeon on
    edited July 2007
    Oh OK.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    I don't actually believe that this is correct. You're saying that the fun in this game comes from the substance. I'm telling you that I'm pretty goddamn sure it comes from the style. Now, if the substance were absolute SHIT, yes, I could see how you wouldn't like it. But I think that the real fun comes from the style.

Don't believe me? Test it out! Turn off the sound and play with a regular controller instead of a guitar-shaped controller. Yes, it'll be a little harder because the button layout is different and you can't cue off the audio, but really you're primarily cuing off the visual stimulti anyway, just like in DDR.

Without the song playing and without the guitar-shaped controller, the style is (mostly) stripped and you're playing a much more "pure substance" rhythm game. I guarantee that the vast majority of players will find that the game loses a lot of its fun value when that style is stripped away.

It isn't just one or the other. It's the fact that the game is a rock-god simulation built on a very simple yet engaging rhythm game premise. The game is fun because not only is pressing colored buttons in time very easy to do (initially), but you can do it to neat songs. What I meant when I said "has nothing to do with guitar playing in and of itself," I meant that the actual technical motions used to play guitar and to play the game are very different, with playing the guitar being far more difficult and frustrating to master, and that was the purpose of that statement: playing the game is generally easy and fun, whereas playing guitar is not easy, and thus is not always fun.
    Who said that the game "needs to teach actual, practical skills?" What are you talking about?

I was under the impression that you were arguing that learning to play the guitar would be a more deep and ultimately practical experience because it has greater depth and skill to it than simply playing Guitar Hero. If that wasn't your position, my misunderstanding. Then it seems your case is "doing it to look cool:"
    It needs to be cool to everybody else because the whole point of being a guitar hero, or fantasizing about being one, is that it's super-fucking-cool. That is the entire point of making a game about it!

And actually, yes, it SHOULD simulate something that's difficult to do in real life. Look at your favorite games. Almost all of them are very likely games that simulate things that are tough or impossible to do in real life. Very few fun games simulate doing mundane, simple, easy things that the player is already good at in real life.

We keep going around in circles. Learning the guitar is hard and expensive and if you just want to have fun without investing a lot in actually playing the guitar, then go with the simulation.

Uh, once again, I didn't say that people should ONLY play real guitar and never play Guitar Hero. I even used the Soul Calibur example. I have played Soul Calibur with several friends of mine who were at roughly my skill level in fencing. I understand the difference and the need for both. Please stop using this example, it doesn't address anything I've said.

Then put the word "also" before every suggestion I made in that sentence. Why play football video games when you can ALSO play football in real life? By your reasoning, if you really love playing football videogames, it's because you like executing fantastic plays as well as "taking part" in a huge stadium setting, and you could then ask yourself, "Why not join a real team?" Certainly, joining a team would not only get you in physical shape and force you to interact in a face-to-face social environment and also expose you to the glory and experience of winning as much as a videogame would.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GSM wrote: »

WOAH WHAT IS GOING ON?

wow.jpg

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Your egosearching is troubling.

GSM on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it takes forever to get good at guitar

getting in a band that writes good music and works well and has people who can play well is really ridiculously hard

i could see why people want to do it in a video game

Homeless on
    edited July 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    it takes forever to get good at guitar

getting in a band that writes good music and works well and has people who can play well is really ridiculously hard

i could see why people want to do it in a video game

Being an MMA fighter is difficult and dangerous. It's obvious why people might play Tekken but might not actually attempt to enter the real-world equivalent, which I guess would be UFC. Everyone here understands this.

My only point is that if you really think it's cool, you should maybe learn some of the real-world skill. Not devote your life to mastering it and being the best in the world. Just, you know, take some lessons maybe.

Defender on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i don't even know or care what you dudes are arguing about anymore

at this point i may be typing just so i can read it

i'm gonna go play duke nukem

Homeless on
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey now.
    Woah now.

Potential for thousands of songs and user created content available for download?

Boner status: Harder than Jordan on Expert.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
    edited July 2007
    i would like amplitude style remixes

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why does pretty much all the music in Frequency suck?

The_Dciple on
    edited July 2007
    freezepop~

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah but outside of that one song there is nothing worth the time ot play, outside of maybe the one No Doubt song which isn't exactly spectacular.

The_Dciple on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, what? The Wikipedia page for Rock Band says that Australia gets it 2 months later than the US! GODDAMMIT WE ALWAYS GET SCREWED

I guess GHIII will have to tide me over a bit longer than I expected :(

Man, I can't wait to be able to actually face off against other people online rather than just compete with them via who's higher on the leaderboards.

Ten on
    edited July 2007
    It takes two months to ship anything to your planet.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • OumuraOumura Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hear this is coming out for PS3 and Wii too.

With the recent PS3 price drops, looks like I'll have a Blu-Ray player and kick ass rhythm gaming.

..if only more rhythm games worked on that sucker.

You can't plug the PS2 dance mats into the PS3 can you?

Just curious.

Oumura on
    http://www.latactics.com - Luminous Arc for DS Fansite
    edited July 2007
    OH.

HOLY.

SHIT.
    Today, original Guitar Hero developer Harmonix fired back with the announcement that it will offer not just hit singles for gamers to play, but entire full-length albums from multiple labels.

The first band to receive the digital conversion will be classic British rockers The Who. Gamers will be able to form a virtual cover band playing guitar, hitting the drums, and singing along to the band's widely acclaimed 1971 album Who's Next.

PLAYING THE DRUMS ON BABA FUCKING O'RILEY

I am probably going to play this game 20 hours a day.

naporeon on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am very excited for Rock Band.

I just found out two nights ago that my father, who owns a construction business is doing a job for a video game developer in Cambridge, MA at the moment. The company just moved from their old office to a newer, nicer office since they managed to sell the company to Viacom and they have a big release coming out in September.

This company turns out to be Harmonix.

My father tells me that the guy running the place wears a t-shirt, cargo shorts and sandals, as does most of the staff at the office. The building they are in is an old MIT building where Russian classes were taught, and thus there are Russian signs up everywhere. When told about how the signs would probably take some wall with them when removed and if the boss wanted my father's company to patch them up he responded with "Actually that won't be necessary, you see the gang really seems to like them. They think they're cool." and thus there are signs advertising classes in Russian in Harmonix's new studio.

The main thing they are doing to the office is creating sound-proof booths to record music in. To test the sound-proofing the staff brought in a bass guitar and played it in the sound-proofed room as loud as they could while other staff members walked around the offices to see if they could hear it.

Employees also seem to be allowed to paint their offices whatever color they want themselves, as my father was told. So he won't be contracting any painters for the project.

I really want to ask to accompany him into work one day when he visits the place. I mean, it's so AWESOME to think about and it's wasted on my dad who's under the impression that the company is a bunch of hippy whack-jobs who got lucky and sold to Viacom.

TankHammer on