As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fables: Legends in Exile

2»

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    graizur have you ever seen a non-disney version of Peter Pan.

I'm thinking no.

Elitist much?

that's...that's not elitist at all

DJ Eebs on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm thinking no.

Elitist much?

that's...that's not elitist at all
    My basic point is that the Victorian England Fable world, or perhaps just Neverland, would also be a great setting for stories of refugees.

Fencingsax on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm thinking no.

Elitist much?

scanners-exploding-head-3.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Those characters are way too major to be forgotten by Revise in less than a century or 3 though.

I think Mr. Revise has had more than a century or three to erase various pantheons. Revise told Jack that he'd almost erased all magic from earth (witches, angels, devils, pagan gods) when the Fables arrived, so he's been at it a while. And remember that Fables get their immortality and magic from people believing in them.

Or maybe some of the European pantheons chose to act like the North Wind and not get involved in the Adversary's conquests.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • moonwaltz7moonwaltz7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always assumed that the large majority of European Fables who have not met were part of the Empire. It recall that the empire has primarily conquered European Fables, and that there are more citizens of the Empire than of Fabletown.

On the other hand, the issue of copyright and whatnot is probably a large factor that goes into determining which Fables were conquered and never heard from again.

moonwaltz7 on
  • John EllisJohn Ellis Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    Re: Lumi

On his own forums, Willingham has said that while Lumi -is- the Snow Queen seen in Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen (The story Kay came from), Jadis of Charn/The White Witch of Narnia is a different character.

Willingham only rarely makes references to copyright protected characters (Note that in his two cameos, Aslan is referred to as "The Great Lion" instead of by name), so even though he's said The Chronicles of Narnia is his favorite series of all time and that he'd love to use the characters...we'll never see any of them take a starring role in the series.

Lumi, being public domain, provides no such problem.

Speaking of Narnia characters in Fables, I think Mark Buckingham's splash page of Flycatcher being knighted by Sir Lancelot while images of King Arthur, Aslan, and Prester John manifest is one of the coolest splash pages ever drawn.

John Ellis on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Technically, the North Wind (Borealis) is a minor deity of the Greek Panthoen anyway

Fencingsax on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How do you sign out every single private military training center and purchase bunker busters without arousing suspicion?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How do you sign out every single private military training center and purchase bunker busters without arousing suspicion?

By being awesome.

Mai-Kero on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    god I love fables, just finished teh latest trade the other day, love the way the story is going

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    god I love fables, just finished teh latest trade the other day, love the way the story is going

I just saw The Big Labowski last night and I realized how much I wanted to shoot that character in the face. The one from your sig and avatar, of course.

graizur on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I just saw The Big Labowski last night and I realized how much I wanted to shoot that character in the face. The one from your sig and avatar, of course.

Are you insane? He's the best character in that movie.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited July 2007

Could youimagine actually having to interact with a guy pointing a gun to your head every other day? Maybe my imagination is just more vivid then yours.

graizur on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Donny.

mattharvest on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Donny.

"Shut the fuck up"

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ChalkboredChalkbored Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i could understand if like the mythical heroes of the pheonicians were forgotten, but how the hell would someone like hercules or thor be forgotten?

I'm also waiting for Siegfried to pop up.
    I think Siegfried was among the defenders who died in The Last Castle, protecting the last escape portal from the Homelands. Robin Hood, Don Quixote, and Cuchulainn all died there as well.

Chalkbored on
    edited July 2007
    Tragic. Are you sure this isn't an allagory for the Jews?

graizur on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

what are you doing

PiptheFair on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I, uh

I appreciate a good jew joke every now and then

but i think he might be serious

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited July 2007

you have three seconds after you read this to explain what you mean by this

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2007

Hey Geebs. I just found this post so here is my explaination.

These FABLE characters are a people from story book fables. Exiled out of their land by The Adversary. "Adversary" is one of the many names for the devil in the old testament. After the sixth or seventh drawn panel of a large "exodus" of peoples out of the fabled lands into the real world it sort of struck me. After that I saw a bunch of other connections. I live in NYC and so seeing the fables as a strongly secretive well-nitt community made me think of the various jewish peoples in New York. On top of that the writer has made several comparrisons of the Fables to Israel the actual country. Remember all those things Bigby said to Gippeto about them?

Any way I sort of wonder if the similarities are not cooincidences but instead are intended by the writer and that Fables is a way of making a sort of (though not exact) allegory for the situation of the Jews, you know, The People From The Story Book.

Is that a satisfactory answer?

graizur on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I tried to make sense of that post

I really, really did.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    I edited it. I am trying to think like you guys I really am. It's hard.

graizur on
    edited July 2007
    I didn't pick any racism up from it, so it's fine. Kind of.

DJ Eebs on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Earlier story arcs each take on the form of a different genre: the first is a murder mystery, the next a conspiracy thriller, and then a caper story. More recently Willingham has explicitly tied his series to a pro-Israeli political stance, stating "Politically, I'm just rabidly pro-Israel and so that, as a metaphor, was intended from the beginning." [1] (Comics Journal Interview Sept 06)

I think everyone owes Graizur an apology. There's really no reason for the simple use of the word Jews to elicit suspicions of antisemitism, and the parallels are pretty obvious to anyone who's really looking for them.

I know next to nothing about Israel myself, but when reading Fables I still saw how it could have been inspired by stories of displaced peoples forming isolated communities in New York or anywhere else.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Nuh-Uh.

His post made no sense pre-edit.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Hey Geebs. I just found this post so here is my explaination.

These FABLE characters are a people from story book fables. Exiled out of their land by The Adversary. "Adversary" is one of the many names for the devil in the old testament. After the sixth or seventh drawn panel of a large "exodus" of peoples out of the fabled lands into the real world it sort of struck me. After that I saw a bunch of other connections. I live in NYC and so seeing the fables as a strongly secretive well-nitt community made me think of the various jewish peoples in New York. On top of that the writer has made several comparrisons of the Fables to Israel the actual country. Remember all those things Bigby said to Gippeto about them?

Any way I sort of wonder if the similarities are not cooincidences but instead are intended by the writer and that Fables is a way of making a sort of (though not exact) allegory for the situation of the Jews, you know, The People From The Story Book.

Is that a satisfactory answer?

DrDoomChap.gif

GRAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZUUUURRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    I think the mods can go in and see that it was merely a grammatical and not thematic change. Also I brought this up a month or so ago and was flamed for it. So yeah.

graizur on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the mods can go in and see that it was merely a grammatical and not thematic change. Also I brought this up a month or so ago and was flamed for it. So yeah.

Well hey, at least now you know your feelings were correct. Fables is in fact a complex metaphor for the Jewish struggle.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited July 2007

Well hey, at least now you know your feelings were correct. Fables is in fact a complex metaphor for the Jewish struggle.

Thank you. There is hope for the internets after all.

graizur on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Flycatcher's story in 1001 Nights was heartbreaking. That one panel of the sad frog just watching.

I really need to get up to date on these.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited July 2007
    I think they gave a really good answer to Fly's problem in the latest arc. It was such a beautiful and subtle shock. If you can imagine a subtle shock.

graizur on