As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC's brave new pioneering imprint is...

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
Webcomics?
Zuda3.jpg
The ubiquitous online phrase is now the tagline of Zudacomics.com, a new digital imprint being launched by DC Comics in October which will publish webcomics featuring new characters and concepts by creators yet to be found. The official announcement of the new webcomics venture came via The New York Times.

“There is an explosion of creativity in web comics,” said Paul Levitz, DC Comics President & Publisher in a release. “We want to build a great stage for this new generation of creators to perform on, a solid system for their work to reach audiences online and in print, and for the creators to share in the profits their creations can generate. In this time of rapid technological and cultural change, DC wants to be a good publisher for the evolving and growing community of online comic creators, so that we can be their partner for showcasing new kinds of works to entertain future generations.”

Let's just say I'm a bit skeptical.

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speaking for myself alone, the amount of web comics I read peaked at somewhere around 10 around 4 years ago but has steadily dropped since then to the point where I only read Penny-Arcade when I remember to and Perry Bible Fellowship when I realize it's been a month since I checked the site.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Given that there is a vast amount more shit than readable material among web comics, this is probably going to fail miserably right out of the gate. Unless of course they sign artists that are already well-established in the medium, then they may get lucky with existing readers.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speaking for myself alone, the amount of web comics I read peaked at somewhere around 10 around 4 years ago but has steadily dropped since then to the point where I only read Penny-Arcade when I remember to and Perry Bible Fellowship when I realize it's been a month since I checked the site.

I wasn't really thinking DC would be getting into the comedy business?

Scooter on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

I wasn't really thinking DC would be getting into the comedy business?

I think DC's already in the comedy bussiness, don't they publish Mad magazine? I get what you're saying though, I would/would have expected DC to try and bolster their super hero holdings before taking the risky plunge into pubishing more comedy comics.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Could a web comic about action really work? It'd be in the vein of Mark Trail, Dick Tracy, and the Spider-Man newspaper strip, and those never struck me as being even as strong as freakin' Garfield.

The medium's best suited to comedy and, occasionally, drama, in my opinion.

But then, I haven't read every webcomic.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only postitive that I can think of (as I generally read only one webcomic..PA) is that if it does take off, and certain character gains enough popularity, it could translate into a new comic. But other than that...meh..

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Could a web comic about action really work? It'd be in the vein of Mark Trail, Dick Tracy, and the Spider-Man newspaper strip, and those never struck me as being even as strong as freakin' Garfield.

Dr. McNinja? It's comedy, but it's an action comic too. Besides, nothing says they have to do one panel/page at a time instead of just doing monthly full comics.

Scooter on
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

http://dominic-deegan.com/ has done fairly well.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dr. McNinja is a webcomic, and it might as well be considered a monthly comic for how many pages and events happen in it.

It even has full blown story arcs.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scary-go-round is probably the best webcomic ever.

DC's webcomic division should just exist to give John Allison lots of money.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This might be cool, depending on whether this is sort of a Vertigo for webcomics. I mean, if it lets people get exposure and helps them get recognition in the industry while retaining their original IP, that's great. If they want to take control of your IP, though, I'm not with it. I assume (or rather hope) that the winners get their stuff published eventually, otherwise I'd be interested to see how they intend to compensate the contributors.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This might be cool, depending on whether this is sort of a Vertigo for webcomics. I mean, if it lets people get exposure and helps them get recognition in the industry while retaining their original IP, that's great. If they want to take control of your IP, though, I'm not with it. I assume (or rather hope) that the winners get their stuff published eventually, otherwise I'd be interested to see how they intend to compensate the contributors.

As I understand it, if your vision is good, their editorial staff will pick you & pay you to make the webcomic for them. Later on down the line, maybe they'll buy the IP from you. Maybe it will get published into print, but that's not the "grand prize" or anything. It seems their main idea is that it's not just a collective of webcomics like Dayfree, but a webcomic community site that lets viewers determine the success of each strip.

What I don't like all too much is how they're making them all conform to the same canvas size. I imagine some creators will want their strip in a small 3 panel format, and some will want full blown pages.

Lux on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Personally, I think this sounds pretty cool. There's a lot of really talented people out there making webcomics (Scary Go Round, Platinum Grit, Dr. McNinja, etc.) and if they could make comics under an imprint where they'd get wider exposure and guaranteed pay, all the better.

On the other hand, most good comics are already a source of income for their creators. Even if it's not enough to live on, a lot of people are making a nice little chunk of change from t-shirts, self-published books, and as revenue. Fuck, even shit like Dominic Deegan and the Wotch make their creators enough money to do it full time.

Still, maybe this will give aspiring creators yet another way to get their foot in the door to make print comics. I'm still waiting for when I'll be able to buy the newest issue of Batman online rather than having to go to the comic shop and buy an overpriced, flimsy, ad-filled print comic though.

Munch on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    What I don't like all too much is how they're making them all conform to the same canvas size. I imagine some creators will want their strip in a small 3 panel format, and some will want full blown pages.

4:3 is basically just like two comic pages side by side. Two pages of 2:3. It seems like it would be good to make "widescreen" comics with huge panoramas. Still, they should've given maybe two or three options instead of just the one.

This actually sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up Blank.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DC should snap up Achewood?
    Liebot, what is the saddest thing?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    All of the Flashes sacrificing themselves in order to stop a super powerful evil being by sacrificing their power source, only to have him come back 6 months later for a Green Lantern event.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All of the Flashes sacrificing themselves in order to stop a super powerful evil being by sacrificing their power source, only to have him come back 6 months later for a Green Lantern event.

close

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

close

closer

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You don't read J. Grant's comic? Shame on you. It's funny.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Avro_ArrowAvro_Arrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zuda sounds like a soccer-player's nickname.

Avro_Arrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    Given that there is a vast amount more shit than readable material among web comics, this is probably going to fail miserably right out of the gate. Unless of course they sign artists that are already well-established in the medium, then they may get lucky with existing readers.

They should sign the woman who does Lackadaisy.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This Lie Bot is funny

I must find out more

Algertman on