Options

Jade Empire - A Playthrough (NSF56k)

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I may have to go pick this up today.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    Man, I may have to go pick this up today.
    Do it! Do it now!

Sorry. As you may have gathered, I'm something of a fan of this game.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Woo! Great thread, brings back some fun memories. Someone else turned down Morrowind earlier, right? I think I might do a lets play thread too, and that was the number 1 choice. That or some old gold box game that I haven't played before--that could be neat.

I think I'll do Morrowind first. So many options now though: What kind of character, how evil a character, what mods? I think I'll make it as base as possible save for graphical upgrades. I've never played the expansions really, so that should be fun. Hmm

piL on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty late to the party, but Gao the Lesser is voiced by Nathan Filion, which I thought was awesome.

Great thread, Janson! /Wedge Antilles

On an off topic note, I'm reading Starfighters of Adumar again, and I remember how awesome Janson is.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's cool. The main thing I wanted to know, though, was if I'd be missing out on any content, expansions, vital patches, or anything similar by going with the xbox version.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    no.

Sam on
  • Options
    shadeedgeshadeedge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    On an off topic note, I'm reading Starfighters of Adumar again, and I remember how awesome Janson is.
    Yub yub, Commander.

shadeedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hrmm, I actually went to go play this again today and I can't seem to find my copy :( I don't *think* I ever sold it, but I can't remember for sure... drat.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's cool. The main thing I wanted to know, though, was if I'd be missing out on any content, expansions, vital patches, or anything similar by going with the xbox version.

I think there's a FAQ on Gamefaqs that details the differences. They are very minor.

captaink on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty late to the party, but Gao the Lesser is voiced by Nathan Filion, which I thought was awesome.

He does a good job, and is barely recognisable!
    Great thread, Janson! /Wedge Antilles

:D Starfighters of Adumar is one of the only books I've ever been excited to get on release date...

And it completely lived up to expectations, too! emot_3.gif

(I wish I had his cloak).

Okay, next post coming up, although I haven't managed to complete Kang the Mad's sidequest yet. Still, it's separate enough from the main story that I can devote a new post to it when I do manage it. (Or should that be if I manage it).

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Janson wrote: »

He does a good job, and is barely recognisable!
    Unfortunately, once you do recognise it, you can't stop recognising it. Or at least, I can't.

Which kind of leads to me not wanting to fight Gao. I mean, come on, I'm not gonna kill Mal.
    Okay, next post coming up, although I haven't managed to complete Kang the Mad's sidequest yet. Still, it's separate enough from the main story that I can devote a new post to it when I do manage it. (Or should that be if I manage it).
    Well, even if you don't finish it completely, the first trip to the furnace shouldn't be missed.

Also, on an unrelated note, where's Ya Zhen? Yeah, kinda late to ask that, I know, but... well, I'm just curious.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, even if you don't finish it completely, the first trip to the furnace shouldn't be missed.

I can certainly do that :D
    Also, on an unrelated note, where's Ya Zhen? Yeah, kinda late to ask that, I know, but... well, I'm just curious.

I did meet Ya Zhen. Once. And fought against him. That happens as soon as you enter the Imperial Palace. I don't have him around otherwise because he's mean and hurts Wild Flower :(

(By the way, thank you for the feedback and constant prompts and hints in this thread. Greatly appreciated!)

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I did meet Ya Zhen. Once. And fought against him. That happens as soon as you enter the Imperial Palace. I don't have him around otherwise because he's mean and hurts Wild Flower :(
    Yeah, most of Chai Ka-Ya Zhen stuff happens in the Imperial City.

I kind of like Ya Zhen. He's so honest about being rotten to the core. 'Course, that never stopped me from killing him when the time came.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ya Zhen?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ya Zhen is the other demon residing in Wild Flower.

Chai Ka is a Guardian demon, and he chose Wild Flower's body to reside in not knowing that for every 'good' demon, there is an equal and opposite 'bad' demon. So Chai Ka could not live within Wild Flower without Ya Zhen also being there.

The trouble is that Wild Flower's body is too frail and weak to cope with two demons, and so 2/3rds of the way through the game you have to help one defeat the other in spiritual combat. The demon who loses does not completely die, but he is suppressed for a good while and can never be summoned within the game again.

Janson on
  • Options
    ChaosTangentChaosTangent Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    I keep remembering little things about Jade Empire when I read this walkthrough. I think I'd repressed the necropolis from my mind as it was probably the low-point of the game for me.

I notice you're not doing the shooting bits in the mosquito flyer :P

ChaosTangent on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Chai Ka is a Guardian demon, and he chose Wild Flower's body to reside in not knowing that for every 'good' demon, there is an equal and opposite 'bad' demon. So Chai Ka could not live within Wild Flower without Ya Zhen also being there.

The trouble is that Wild Flower's body is too frail and weak to cope with two demons, and so 2/3rds of the way through the game you have to help one defeat the other in spiritual combat. The demon who loses does not completely die, but he is suppressed for a good while and can never be summoned within the game again.
    I've never completed the game with the evil demon, what does the epilouge say about Wild Flower if that happens?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You're welcome to do them for me. :(
    Silpheed wrote: »

I've never completed the game with the evil demon, what does the epilouge say about Wild Flower if that happens?
    Ya Zhen completely takes over her body and roams the Empire doing evil deeds, until her body expires and he moves on, iirc

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The epilogue focuses more on what Ya Zhen does. Mostly because, you know, he destroys Wild Flower's mind.

I'm hazy on the details, but in the Closed Fist ending Ya Zhen loyally and happily serves you, and in the Open Palm ending he serves you as well, counting on the fact that, one day, you're going to die so that he can usher in the Age of Demons.

Something to that extent anyway.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The epilogue focuses more on what Ya Zhen does. Mostly because, you know, he destroys Wild Flower's mind.

I'm hazy on the details, but in the Closed Fist ending Ya Zhen loyally and happily serves you, and in the Open Palm ending he serves you as well, counting on the fact that, one day, you're going to die so that he can usher in the Age of Demons.

Maybe I should try to play this one more time just to go closed fist. I've always wondered if Dawn Star becomes more of a badass if you tell her to grow a fucking spine.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Maybe I should try to play this one more time just to go closed fist. I've always wondered if Dawn Star becomes more of a badass if you tell her to grow a fucking spine.

Most of my team left me, or I killed them.

I need to go through and finish as Open Palm. I wish the Closed Fist wasn't so evil at the end. I always tried to see it as just another philosophy.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The one quest I can think of where I like the Closed Fist alternative is in the second chapter when you rescue Yifong's daughter from the slave trader. You can tell her to fight for her freedom. You've helped to some degree by killing all the other slavers and pirates in the area, and now it's just her and her master left. You're helping her help herself.

But the Closed Fist ending is just, well, evil.

Janson on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jade Empire get!

I suck at this game! :)

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just remember, no one has to know if you ramp the difficulty down to easy ;)

Most of the fights can be completed that way with button mashing. If you have the PC version, if you don't click constantly, you leave yourself vulnerable to attack. The enemies seem capable of taking advantage of the slightest delay.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Now, where were we?

chapter03_169.jpg

Even when she's learned greatly distressing news regarding her father Silk Fox is still sharp enough to take a jab at Dawn Star.

That aside, she and the others are not taking the news terribly well.

chapter03_170.jpg

chapter03_174.jpg

Yes, he must.

We must make for the Imperial Palace immediately. But first of all I have some news for my party members which they have not yet heard. It's of Master Li's child being alive.

I'm questioned as to how on earth Zu could have known about this.

chapter03_171.jpg

Speaking of Zu reminds Sky that he has something to say to me.

sky_romance_007.jpg

Anyone less manly and strong than me would've died ten times over by now.

But what will happen when this is all over? We've all been running head first into battle, searching for clues as to where Master Li has been taken, but now we're about to fight the Emperor...will this be the end? Do we expect to die, or do we intend to live?

sky_romance_008.jpg

Hint, hint :winky:

Now, if you're female, Sky picks up on your heavy hinting. But right now, as I'm male, he's still in denial, and completely glosses over what I've just said.

sky_romance_009.jpg

See? That's not what I said, Sky!

sky_romance_010.jpg

Oh, so NOW you're talking about us.

He doesn't give me a chance to respond.

sky_romance_011.jpg

Oh, you love it really.

Now, is everyone ready? We're off to the Imperial Palace!

chapter03_172.jpg

The Imperial Palace floats in the sky, held buoyant by larger versions of the floating rocks found in the Scholar's Garden.

Chapter 4 - The Imperial Palace

My party and I sneak into the palace using one of Princess Lian's - I mean Silk Fox's - private entrances. No sooner have we stepped out of the Marvellous Dragonfly than Ya Zhen rears his ugly head again.

When Ya Zhen speaks, Wild Flower's eyes glow red. Ya Zhen's voice is rich and gravelly. His true form resembles that of a toad demon; not quite as impressive as Chai Ka's true form.

chapters04-07_017.jpg

Now that we've reached the Imperial Palace I need to make a decision. Ya Zhen has been growing more powerful and Chai Ka is finding it harder and harder to suppress him. Chai Ka requests my help in a spiritual battle within Wild Flower's body.

Although Ya Zhen is charismatic, he is also a far greater danger to the Empire than Chai Ka, and so I agree to help Chai Ka.

chapters04-07_018.jpg

Wild Flower feels much better, and hopefully will not feel the torment of the demons inside her for some time to come.

I return to normalcy, and Silk Fox informs me that while I was gone, the party were confronted by a servant. The servant has been 'dealt' with (read: his neck snapped by Silk Fox - this is seen if you skip the Ya Zhen fight) and we should have no more problems.

Well, apart from all the Imperial guards and Lotus Assassins, of course.

We march on. Eventually we reach the non-public quarters of the palace - the areas that even the Princess herself rarely sees. They've been allowed to fall into quite the state of disrepair.

I pause at the entrance to the tombs of the Emperors - those that presumably aren't already buried in the Necropolis. Sagacious Tien, the most famous and greatest Emperor, lies here, as do a few other personalities.

chapters04-07_019.jpg

I haven't really delved into the history of the game, but as with the BG series, there are scrolls and books lying around that go into detail on previous Emperors and important battles and events of the Empire. It adds a nice level of depth to what is an original IP.

chapters04-07_020.jpg

The two latest inhabitants of the tombs are supposedly Sun Li and Sun Kin, the Emperor's deceased brothers. But my Master Li is Sun Li - he cannot be buried here. If Li's tomb is empty, is Kin's, too?

chapters04-07_021.jpg

Eventually we reach the throne room.

chapters04-07_022.jpg

This is it...the final battle - or so I hope. Sky, don't you have anything to say to me?

sky_romance_012.jpg
    sky_romance_013.jpg

...yes?

sky_romance_014.jpg

:(

'Is that all you have to say?'

sky_romance_015.jpg

'If you can't say it then I will. I love you, Sky.'

He says thank you, but that's all.

For the ladies:
    Seeing as how I'm about to face my nemesis, the ladies realise that they'd best speak up and confess their love for me.

chapters04-07_023.jpg

As if things were that easy - they 'care' for me, and they're still waiting to hear who I'll choose.

chapters04-07_024.jpg
    chapters04-07_025.jpg

Well, tough. I'm still working on them both, so I give another non-committal answer.

chapters04-07_026.jpg

(I chose the third option).

Silk Fox doesn't appear to particularly mind my indecisiveness - she hints that a mutual arrangement could be reached. Dawn Star is a little disgusted by the suggestion, but Silk Fox sees through her façade:

chapters04-07_027.jpg

Upon entering the throne room, I see the Emperor talking to...Master Li!

chapters04-07_028.jpg
    chapters04-07_029.jpg

The Emperor is calling Master Li a traitor, and is demanding to know where the Spirit Monk amulet is - my amulet! The amulet I've been wearing around my neck all this time. Piece one was given to me by Master Li. The next I retrieved from Gao the Greater, and the final piece I acquired from the Lotus Assassin fortress.

chapters04-07_030.jpg

It seems that Master Li has been expecting me. He seems sure that I'd be coming here...

Silk Fox can hide no longer. She strides forward, myself, Dawn Star and Sky in tow. Henpecked Hou, Wild Flower, The Black Whirlwind and Kang the Mad must currently be occupied elsewhere - probably fighting more Lotus Assassins. Finally the Emperor notices us.

chapters04-07_031.jpg
    chapters04-07_032.jpg

Silk Fox has some choice words for her father. She is extremely displeased - her father has been behind the corruption of the Empire, all this time! He doesn't even appear to be even the slightest bit repentant!

chapters04-07_033.jpg

'Master Li's student?' says the Emperor, his brain working overtime to digest this information. Has his brother planned this all along?

chapters04-07_034.jpg
    chapters04-07_035.jpg
    chapters04-07_036.jpg

The Emperor can handle this insolence no longer. He gives the order to his guards to restrain his daughter, and kill the rest of us.

But he hasn't planned on us being able to fight.

chapters04-07_037.jpg

Now the Emperor is really angry.

chapters04-07_038.jpg

He sends an earthquake resounding through the building, knocking out all of my foes - but also my friends. Only I manage to remain upright.

chapters04-07_039.jpg

He is...not alive!

chapters04-07_040.jpg

He has used the Water Dragon's power to ascend to the ranks of the deities.

chapters04-07_041.jpg
    chapters04-07_042.jpg

Who will challenge him? I will!

With his godly powers in full effect, the Emperor is able to determine the Spirit Monk amulet upon my person.

(Where have I been storing it all this time, anyway? It's not as if I'm wearing very much).

chapters04-07_043.jpg

The brothers Sun are sneaky!

chapters04-07_044.jpg

I don't really have time to think about that right now. I'm here to deal with you, the Emperor.

The Emperor runs away and leaves the most elite Lotus Assassins and summoned demons to deal with me.

chapters04-07_045.jpg
    chapters04-07_046.jpg

I clear the halls. No one ever learns.

chapters04-07_047.jpg

He runs out of options and realises that he will have to face me. But that's okay - he has a clear advantage as an immortal.

However, once again a villain forgets that 'immortal' does not equal 'invulnerable'. I am a Spirit Monk; this gives me a special ability when it comes to battling with ghosts and the non-living. He quickly becomes immune to any style I throw at him, but by changing styles often enough, I am able to kill him.

chapters04-07_048.jpg

Oh yes it can be.

He fades into oblivion, and his avatar, the seated statue upon his throne, crumbles to dust.

chapters04-07_049.jpg

Well! That was all over rather quickly.

Master Li re-appears, having earlier run away. He picks up the spirit shard that had contained his brother's essence, and gazes thoughtfully at it.

chapters04-07_050.jpg

I have to wonder why he isn't more surprised or excited to see me. I've spent so long searching for him - it's not quite the welcome I was expecting.

chapters04-07_051.jpg

I don't thank him. Why should I? Where is my praise? Has he really planned this all along?

chapters04-07_052.jpg
    chapters04-07_053.jpg

Ah yes, that flaw, which leaves me vulnerable and open. The flaw which so far no one has taken advantage of...

chapters04-07_054.jpg
    chapters04-07_055.jpg
    chapters04-07_056.jpg
    chapters04-07_057.jpg
    dead.jpg

I lie crumpled in a heap on the floor, devoid of life. Is this the end? Is this it?

The light at the end of the tunnel approaches...

Janson on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Semi-related thread related question: will someone who enjoyed this game enjoy the KOTOR games? My wife really liked this game and sorta mentioned it the other day, so I wanted to get a similar RPG for her to play. Since Bioware made this and the KOTOR games, I was hoping the games would be similar enough that she could get into them. Am I going in the right direction?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nice update! I especially like you showing us both the gay and menage a trois options.

also: zomg plot twist.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Semi-related thread related question: will someone who enjoyed this game enjoy the KOTOR games? My wife really liked this game and sorta mentioned it the other day, so I wanted to get a similar RPG for her to play. Since Bioware made this and the KOTOR games, I was hoping the games would be similar enough that she could get into them. Am I going in the right direction?

Yes! Yes you are. She should love the KotOR games.

Just be aware that they aren't as pretty, graphically.
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Nice update! I especially like you showing us both the gay and menage a trois options.

Thanks! I hope it makes up for the absence of lesbianism.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Unless she enjoyed Jade Empire for the action-based combat.

What? It could happen.

Anyways, I always figured that the thing on the throne that crumbled to dust after the fight against the Emperor wasn't so much a statue as his decaying corpse. The Emperor himself is a ghost, sustained only by the Water Dragon's heart in his chest. That's what I thought, anyway.

Also, in a weird way it's kinda nice to see that the gay Sky romance and the gay Silk Fox romance are pretty different from each other. I kind of expected Sky to be about as open about his feelings as Silk Fox was. Nice to see I was wrong. Then again, perhaps I should have expected that. Silk Fox is all about having no clue about who she is, so she's probably used to this kind of thing. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

They were really slacking with the lack of a lesbian menage a trois.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

Hawt.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was thinking they should have made Dawn Star a guy when you played as a girl, so you could have a Dawn Star/you/Sky thing going.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I was thinking they should have made Dawn Star a guy when you played as a girl, so you could have a Dawn Star/you/Sky thing going.

I'd have agreed with this. :winky:

Chapter 5 - Dirge

chapters04-07_058.jpg

I'm dead, I'm alone, and I'm trapped in the spirit world.

But there is some hope. The Water Dragon continues to watch over me, and I can hear her voice, guiding me through the desolate land...

chapters04-07_059.jpg
    chapters04-07_060.jpg

Did my see-through body and glowing blue eyes and hair give it away?

chapters04-07_061.jpg

The Water Dragon confirms what I had already guessed from the actually-quite-obvious hints given to me by the now-old Emperor and others.

Master Li was not called the Glorious Strategist for nothing. From the very beginning he had been biding his time, waiting for the day when he would be able to claim the throne for his own. He has exterminated the Spirit Monks, and uses their amulet to drain the power much faster than his brother had been able to do. I was a tool; I was merely to carry out the arduous task of finding the scattered parts of the amulet, raining destruction on Sun Hai's plans and ambitions along the way, paving the way for Sun Li to become the new Emperor-God.

But he had not counted on the Water Dragon's interference. She, too, has been biding her time, waiting for the inevitable moment when I would cross to the spirit world.

chapters04-07_062.jpg

Dirge, my birthplace, the site for the Spirit Monk monastery, exists in both the real world and the spirit world. It is the gate to the underworld. I can be sent here and, if I manage to restore some of the Water Dragon's power, I can be brought back to life.

I am transported to Dirge.

On the outskirts I meet the spirit of another monk. He has been trapped here for nearly twenty years, since the sacking of Dirge. At first he doesn't seem to realise that I'm dead.

chapters04-07_063.jpg
    chapters04-07_064.jpg

He does, however, seem to know who I am. I guess I must resemble my infant self really strongly.

chapters04-07_065.jpg
    chapters04-07_066.jpg

He reaffirms what I already know about my background, also revealing that I was apparently destined to become head of the order at some distant point in the future. I wonder what made me special? Was it merely that I was born at Dirge, as opposed to being brought here as an infant? What qualifies one to be a Spirit Monk, anyway? We lead the dead to the afterlife, but Dawn Star has always had better contact with the spirit world than I have, and she is not a Spirit Monk. Is it an innate ability, or can one be trained?

chapters04-07_067.jpg
    chapters04-07_071.jpg

Abbot Song's story does differ in one aspect from Master Li's, however. Master Li had led me to believe that he was there before his brothers attacked Dirge; that he was not a part of the army sent to ransack the town, and that it was he who led me away from the battle.

In fact, Master Li was in the army. Not just that - he was the commander of the army. He wore armour so as to conceal his face. The armour that Death's Hand wore.

chapters04-07_068.jpg

I you-tube'd the cut scene here because it's the most detailed and the nicest in the game. It gives the full version of your backstory. Click on the image for more.

chapters04-07_069.jpg

It is only after telling this story that Abbot Song actually acknowledges that I am dead.

chapters04-07_070.jpg

After initially sounding hopeful, he falls into despair. Then I remind him that the Water Dragon did bring me here, and that she is still hopeful. This seems to perk him right up!

chapters04-07_072.jpg

The Water Dragon had said that I would need to restore the fountains of Dirge. Once this is done, I can enter the temple and rid Dirge of the current evil that resides in it, allowing the Water Dragon's presence to return.

(It is never fully explained why I am required to restore the fountains, even though I am equally dead as Abbot Song and he has access to the fountains just as I do).

I make my way to the first fountain, and defeat the spirits of its protectors.

chapters04-07_073.jpg

Abbot Song explains that prior to the sacking of Dirge, scouts from the Emperor came and bribed members of his order, persuading them to taint the fountains with blood so that the Water Dragon was weakened and the town left vulnerable to siege.

chapters04-07_074.jpg

Binding a spirit to an inanimate thing is the cruellest of punishments and should never, ever be done, he tells me. It is sacrilegious and goes against every moral code of the gods.

Before I restore the fountain, we pause to chat about my parents and Abbot Song's current problems. He seems delighted that I am so eager to learn about my ancestry and gives me all the information he can.

chapters04-07_075.jpg
    chapters04-07_076.jpg

My parents were nobody special, but were good and kindly people.

chapters04-07_078.jpg

None of the spirits of the monks can currently enter the temple; something is keeping them out.

chapters04-07_079.jpg

The fountain can now be cleansed and restored.

chapters04-07_081.jpg
    chapters04-07_082.jpg

The fountain flows once more.

On to the inner courtyard!

Along the way I see the spirits of monks fighting the spirits of the army of the Emperor. It is an eternal fight.

chapters04-07_080.jpg

At the entrance to the inner courtyard the Water Dragon's spirit appears once again.

chapters04-07_083.jpg

She explains how I am still able to 'use' my amulet, even though Master Li - or, rather, Emperor Sun Li - now holds it. The amulet was nothing more than a powerful focusing tool; the real power is within me; my ability as a Spirit Monk is to be able to access that power without the need for any fancy device.

Meanwhile, elsewhere, a being I helped to crush is being risen from death with the aid of the power of that very same amulet...

chapters04-07_084.jpg

The next fountain is missing its seal, and its guardians! What manner of creature could have destroyed the guardians?, wonders Abbot Song.

chapters04-07_085.jpg

I'm about to find out.
    chapters04-07_086.jpg

I must go and claim it back, but before I chase after the beast, Abbot Song tells me that there is a valuable gem I may wish to retrieve first. It may aid me in my upcoming battle.

chapters04-07_087.jpg

Needless to say, my quest does not end in failure.

The gem in my possession, I chase after the beast - or Minion of Suffering, to give it its proper title.

chapters04-07_088.jpg
    chapters04-07_089.jpg

It is an easy fight. I claim the seal and restore the second, and last, fountain.

Now I can enter the temple! But I'll pause a moment to admire the swirling skies.

chapters04-07_090.jpg
    chapters04-07_091.jpg

Before I enter the temple, the spirit of the Water Dragon appears once more to warn me of the danger that lies ahead, and to tell Abbot Song that he still cannot enter. This is to be my fight alone.

chapters04-07_092.jpg

Where is this festering evil?

Ah! It has manifested as myself, times three!

chapters04-07_093.jpg

Apparently I, too, am easy to defeat. At the very least, the evil taint is not as efficient at using my abilities as I myself am.

Evil is defeated and some of the Water Dragon's power returns to Dirge. The spirits of the Emperor's army crumble while the spirits of the monks ascend to heaven.

chapters04-07_094.jpg

The Water Dragon shows far more gratitude than Master Li ever did.

chapters04-07_095.jpg

She now has enough power to restore me to life, but my battle is not over yet. Emperor Sun Li can still draw on her power while her body remains in a broken state. I must journey back to the Imperial Palace to kill the Water Dragon myself, completing the cycle of life and giving her the ability to rise once again as a goddess unfettered by human chains.

chapters04-07_096.jpg

It may be that I can weaken Sun Li's resolve by informing him that his child still lives. I do not know for certain who it is, but I can make a good guess. Someone who was rescued by Sagacious Zu, a man who had recognised one of my companions, who had been surprised to learn that Master Li had been Sun Li all along...

chapters04-07_097.jpg
    chapters04-07_098.jpg

Of course it's Dawn Star!

Armed with this new knowledge, the Water Dragon finally manages to return me to life. I pass through the portal and end up in the real world Dirge. I kill a couple of demons that follow me out of the portal and then it closes, and I am alone once again.

chapters04-07_099.jpg

Well, that was a short chapter!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    He reaffirms what I already know about my background, also revealing that I was apparently destined to become head of the order at some distant point in the future. I wonder what made me special? Was it merely that I was born at Dirge, as opposed to being brought here as an infant? What qualifies one to be a Spirit Monk, anyway? We lead the dead to the afterlife, but Dawn Star has always had better contact with the spirit world than I have, and she is not a Spirit Monk. Is it an innate ability, or can one be trained?
    Here's my theory:

The Spirit Monks serve and worship the Water Dragon. Through that, they are granted certain gifts and powers to aid the Water Dragon in performing her functions (including guiding the dead to their rest). Presumably, most Spirit Monks lived in the outside world at some point. The hero, however, was born in Dirge itself, bathing in the fountains of the Water Dragon herself, exposed to her power from the very start.

I think that might give him some advantage. :P

Anyways, I'd like to ask how you make all the screenshots. Do you use some special program or are you very patient or what?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That is a good theory, and definitely one I shall consider.

As for the screenshots - it's actually very easy. I use fraps (I bought the full version as I like to support small nifty programmes, although it's easy enough to download the free version and convert the bmp files to jpgs) and then batch resize/save as in photoshop.

Then it's just a case of remembering to press the assigned hotkey whenever you want a screenshot.

Janson on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    More Janson! MOAR!.....plz

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nice chapter, as usual. What happened to your old body, anyway? Be pretty weird to walk into the palace and see your dead body in front of you.

I have the same question about God of War.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nice chapter, as usual. What happened to your old body, anyway? Be pretty weird to walk into the palace and see your dead body in front of you.

I have the same question about God of War.

Another little anomaly that's just never fully explained.

From what your party members say to you, you gather that they were too busy trying to escape from Li to drag your body away.

As for what Li did with it...who knows? I guess you probably weren't afforded a burial. Probably chucked in a river somewhere.

Janson on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    Jade Empire get!

I suck at this game! :)

Someone everyone else I've known (as well as me, during my first play through) has missed/overlooked/fogotten/completely failed to understand the manual's unhelpful explanation is harmonic combos. They give instant kills (in interesting ways) and that, IIRC grants you extra experience.

They're great fun, and make things much, much easier.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I never bothered with them. I just blazed through the game with a maxed out Long Sword, or Legendary Strike.

I'm replaying this as well. I just started. I'll go Open Palm this time instead of Closed Fist.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png