As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBL: Blue Dragon Demo Up

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But don't they ban multiple accounts? I have a gold account and I don't want it banned.

Djiem on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Uh, that was only for movies and stuff. I did the silver thing in Japan and had no problems.

There is even a site that has step-by-step instructions.

Magus` on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Am I the only one unimpressed by Blue Dragon so far? Eternal Sonata is awesome, but Blue Dragon is kind of boring and slow in my opinion.

It's absolutely beautiful but combat is something of a drag with all the little robo-tigers doing somersaults and shit for no reason that just compounds the time battles take.

I dunno, I shut the demo off in 10 minutes. It's not like I couldn't stand it, but I have Persona 3 sitting here and while that doesn't look as pretty, it's far more interesting.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Made it to Nene before my time ran out, haven't tried the second dungeon yet.

The Corporeal Attacks are pretty awesome, and I love the cheesy boss battle music. :D

Also what is the attack meter for? Synchronizing your party's actions?

Zilla360 on
    NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »

The Corporeal Attacks are pretty awesome, and I love the cheesy boss battle music. :D

Deciding when the attack is done and how powerful it is.

Echo wrote: »
    I hate demos that toss you into the middle of something with zero explanation and no tutorials. I ran around not having any idea what I was doing, and that totally turned me off.

Might be good. I have no idea though.

Did you talk to the guys that are in the first room of both demos?
    They tell you how to do most of the stuff

Ohtsam on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »

I agree with this whole post, I really like this game, it's charming, fun and looks good. I almost got Nene before my time ran out. Also, yeah, The Attack Meter, I have no idea. There are some people at the entrance of the first dungeon that explain alot of the game mechanics, but I dunno. I just kind of skipped past them and ran around killing stuff.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    edited July 2007
    The Attack Meter: It's like CTB mixed with some of FFX-2's dynamics.

Basically you select an attack and then you hit A when you want the attack to go off. At that point you'll go into "charge mode." The lines at the top in the bar represent a conditional turn timeline. If you let it charge fully, the attack will be more powerful, but it will go after everyone else has had a turn and then you have to wait for that character's turn to come up again. If you, say, hit A midway through the charge bar it will attack AFTER the turn of whoever was before it in the "timeline" and before the person after where you stop the charge.

I know I could have written that better, but that should explain it.

Drez on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn work!

I will be all over this bitch when I gets home.

LockeCole on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dudes, I got the demo yesterday night, and I'm in Canada. It's down for the moment.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • LiquidatorLiquidator Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was originally looking forward to this game but after playing the demo, my opinion has changed.

The frame rate is shitty in many spots, the gameplay is slow and does nothing to improve on the turn-based Final Fantasy formula. Graphics are amazing, but the Dragonball-esque art style makes me feel like I'm playing a game for 10-year-olds; the characters themselves (except for the chick with the pirate bandana) look like they're a bunch of pre-pubescent 8-year-olds. I think I'm going to pass on this one, which is a shame since I was really anticipating it.

Liquidator on
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to have to second that this game is pretty bad. Back in 2000 it would have been okay, but RPGs and JRPGs have evolved so much beyond the play dynamic this game exhibits that, for me, playing the demo was painful.

And I'm a man who loves him some RPG/JRPG.

Misanthropic on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To the Blue Dragon detractors, what was your opinion of DQ8? I'm looking for more DQ action.

solsovly on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    solsovly wrote: »
    To the Blue Dragon detractors, what was your opinion of DQ8? I'm looking for more DQ action.

DQ8 does have a little more room to be "old school", in that it's a long running series with a lot of traditional elements.

It does seem a bit silly to make what's essentially a DQ game with new IP, when DQ's thing is not modern at all, and will likely only appeal to a small subset of RPG fans.

Vincent Grayson on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

DQ8 does have a little more room to be "old school", in that it's a long running series with a lot of traditional elements.

It does seem a bit silly to make what's essentially a DQ game with new IP, when DQ's thing is not modern at all, and will likely only appeal to a small subset of RPG fans.
    So if we're total Dragon Quest whores, then we should like this game?

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
    edited July 2007
    Liquidator wrote: »
    I was originally looking forward to this game but after playing the demo, my opinion has changed.

The frame rate is shitty in many spots, the gameplay is slow and does nothing to improve on the turn-based Final Fantasy formula. Graphics are amazing, but the Dragonball-esque art style makes me feel like I'm playing a game for 10-year-olds; the characters themselves (except for the chick with the pirate bandana) look like they're a bunch of pre-pubescent 8-year-olds. I think I'm going to pass on this one, which is a shame since I was really anticipating it.

Sadly, that's exactly what I think. The characters are bland and ugly and while the game is otherwise beautiful and the frame rate is at least manageable, I feel like the gameplay itself is just too sluggish. Meh. :(

Drez on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Dragon Quest VIII sold millions of copies worldwide and though it is admittedly more of a Japanese thing, I believe it sold over half a million in the US alone. There are still plenty of people who greatly enjoy traditional JRPG gameplay. And from what I've read, the full version of Blue Dragon has more complex gameplay than DQ8 did - a full fledged job system, manipulating enemies on the field map, etc.

RainbowDespair on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I also remember almost EVERYONE hating FFXII demo then loving it... then back to the "it's alright" status.

solsovly on
    edited July 2007
    Man, those "Corporeals" are awesome.

It's your basic JRPG to me. Not excellent, not horrible. If you like JRPGs you'll like it and if you don't, you won't. There's nothing bad enough that a JRPG fan will still not like it, and nothing good enough that someone who doesn't like JRPGs will like this.

Djiem on
    edited July 2007
    I dunno...I'm a JRPG fan and this just looks too much like a high-res Evolution for me to enjoy it. :( Oh well, I don't want to piss all over the game. I'll probably end up buying it despite my own misgivings.

Drez on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I guess it's difficult to demo a RPG, but this felt underwhelming to me. I'll still get it, because I'm such a RPG whore, but this was surprisingly traditional and clichèd. Environments felt empty and boring and the character designs did absolutely nothing for me.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I also remember almost EVERYONE hating FFXII demo then loving it... then back to the "it's alright" status.

Well, Square has a long history of producing demos that give either a skewed, or just totally fucking inaccurate picture of their games. They tend to remove almost every bit of story, and every bit of complexity (most of them won't even let you access the menu)...so it's not surprising that people were some frustrated with the demo.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Corporeal = "Kill the boss now" button.

The graphics were excellent(except for the lipsynching) but the game bored me. DQ8 bored me too, but BD has more FF-style cinematics to slow down the fights. And dear god, the boss music...

Zek on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Corporeal = "Kill the boss now" button.

The graphics were excellent(except for the lipsynching) but the game bored me. DQ8 bored me too, but BD has more FF-style cinematics to slow down the fights. And dear god, the boss music...

While I liked the demo, my god yes, the boss music just hurt my brain. Utterly and totally hurt my brain.

Aoi on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whatsisface's designs seem to work much, MUCH better when cel-chaded (as in DQ8) than puppetized as they are here.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2007
    Actually, the boss music is what I found the coolest about the demo.

Djiem on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    While I suppose the graphics are well done I just really didn't care for the style. The gameplay bored me to tears aswell.

Thank god for being able to download demos this generation, this game has gone from a must buy to a "Maby when it's in the bargain bin and there's nothing else to play".

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
    edited July 2007
    Ahh, here's a question. I got the demo last night before it was pulled, and I was wondering, is my DL boned? Or does everyone have no title screen. It's just a white screen, music playing in the background, with PUSH START across the bottom. No Blue Dragon title or anything.

Aoi on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Ahh, here's a question. I got the demo last night before it was pulled, and I was wondering, is my DL boned? Or does everyone have no title screen. It's just a white screen, music playing in the background, with PUSH START across the bottom. No Blue Dragon title or anything.

Pretty sure you're fine as I downloaded it this morning after it came back up and have the same.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited July 2007
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »

Pretty sure you're fine as I downloaded it this morning after it came back up and have the same.

Thanks!

Aoi on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played the demo last night for around an hour.

The battle system is deceptively simplistic. It seems complex at first, but thats mainly because it seems like they give you every ability in the game.

Most of the fun (in my opinion) in RPGs is going from a weak newbie with 50 HP who deals 5 damage per hit. To a fighting god with thousands of HP and deals thousands of damage per hit.

This demo starts you off at the end and in my opinion doesn't give a good idea of the battle system.

Also, you can turn on a field skill, the energy shield, and plow through enemies you've already fought without going into battle. I really like this feature. I believe you still get Exp from beating enemies in this manner, but I'm not certain.

I liked it, I liked Eternal Sonata a lot more, but still, this seems like a fun game and the demo lacks the exposition and story elements which is the core of an RPG.

Black_Heart on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I think it is generally a pretty bad idea to release an rpg demo. I haven't played it yet, but I've never heard of an rpg demo that went terribly well. Then again, I haven't heard of many demos at all.

PeekingDuck on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I think it is generally a pretty bad idea to release an rpg demo. I haven't played it yet, but I've never heard of an rpg demo that went terribly well. Then again, I haven't heard of many demos at all.

The Fallout 2 demo I had in a magazine made me discover Fallout. Just for this, I think that the existence of RPG demos is justified, forever.

Djiem on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Fair enough.

PeekingDuck on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

The Fallout 2 demo I had in a magazine made me discover Fallout. Just for this, I think that the existence of RPG demos is justified, forever.

Hrmm, computer RPGs probably lend themselves to demoing a little better than console ones, I have to admit, square has released some really god-awful demos for games that I ended up loving.

LockeCole on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Superbly animated, though I think the devs went overboard with the blur post processing. Must be killing the CPUs.

Toriyama failed to make memorable characters - even the monsters have more charm than them, and the voice acting is of course, crap. Not much they could do I guess.

Battle system was alright, though I preferred DQ8's brisk pace, it was helpful towards the turnbased system, though I did enjoy watching the animations for a while.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played the demo and I'll be passing on it. Fights were just too slow.

Zola was alright, character design-wise though.. ;)

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want to play this game so bad, but I lack a 360. I'll probably be picking one up by mid-2008, and this will be one of the first games I pick up. I really don't even care for Toriyama's art, I just like the premise of the game.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • SubarushianSubarushian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I usually hate JRPGs, but I have to say this demo was pretty fun, not really understanding all the negative comments especially from JRPG'ers (I'm one of those shooter whores ;).

The game certainly has this quirky style to it that you'll either find cool or stupid. I thought it was pretty original and fresh.

The voice acting is surprisingly good. No complaints there.

In the fist level in the first room there is a group of NPC's that will give you a rundown of how the combat system works. I like the lack of random battles, you can sometimes run past enemies to cut down on the grind.

There is a pretty deep spell and item system at work along with a charge bar for large attacks allowing you to time the attack based on the turn spot of everyone else in the battle.

Pretty cool game, I went from "meh" to "might have to pick this up."

To bad it comes out right after Bioshock.

Subarushian on
  • MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked it! I'm not usually into Japanese RPGs (haven't even finished FF12 yet.. zzzz), but I like this. I don't know why exactly. I suppose it would be the presentation and polish. The characters aren't as annoying as I'd expect, the music (well, the non-fight music) is cool, and the graphics are great!

Too bad there's too many other must-have titles coming out this year... I'll likely rent this one.. but, who knows.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that I no longer care for JRPGs. I was really interested in this, but after playing the demo...meh. It looks really good, and I actually like the character design, but the gameplay is boring as hell. I found myself neglecting to charge any attacks simply to get the battles over with.

*sigh* What's weird is I can still pick up Chrono Trigger and play it for hours.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.