As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBL: Blue Dragon Demo Up

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I only played it for a few seconds but the battle system is slightly confusing. I don't really understand the whole charging mechanic.

Magus` on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I enjoyed it. It's beautiful as hell and the presentation is really charming. The ability system looks like it's pretty deep/fun as well.

The framerate issues are a concern though - I really hope that shit isnt in the retail version.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    I only played it for a few seconds but the battle system is slightly confusing. I don't really understand the whole charging mechanic.

Recharging a lot means more damage, if you charge too much, you'll have to wait a lot before you attack. Look at the faces and the white lines, that tells you how much you can charge and still attack before they make a move.

Djiem on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, this looks like it might be a fun rent but uh.. nothing special.

Magus` on
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My main issue with these types of "throwback" games is that they keep elements of previous generations, despite the fact that those elements existed only because of hardware limitations. For example, moving to a separate field for battles. Or not rendering all the people in your party.

Maybe I've just played too many RPGs/JRPGs but it seems like we should be beyond these conventions already.

To be fair, I can understand why some elements are still here. For example, turn based fighting. You can squeeze a lot more strategy into a turn based environment as opposed to a real time one. But I just cannot fathom not rendering your whole party in the current generation of hardware. Hell, we had that last gen!

Misanthropic on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it looks pretty good, although it will be interesting to see how the battle system works when you aren't overpowered as all hell because they gave you pretty much every spell in the game.

Although the demo seems kind of plot spoileriffic.

LockeCole on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My main issue with these types of "throwback" games is that they keep elements of previous generations, despite the fact that those elements existed only because of hardware limitations. For example, moving to a separate field for battles. Or not rendering all the people in your party.

Maybe I've just played too many RPGs/JRPGs but it seems like we should be beyond these conventions already.

To be fair, I can understand why some elements are still here. For example, turn based fighting. You can squeeze a lot more strategy into a turn based environment as opposed to a real time one. But I just cannot fathom not rendering your whole party in the current generation of hardware. Hell, we had that four generations ago!

Fixed.
    DWIVHeroseasidestone.png
    Dusda wrote: »
    It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that I no longer care for JRPGs. I was really interested in this, but after playing the demo...meh. It looks really good, and I actually like the character design, but the gameplay is boring as hell. I found myself neglecting to charge any attacks simply to get the battles over with.

*sigh* What's weird is I can still pick up Chrono Trigger and play it for hours.

I'm with you, actually. I still play the hell out of FF6, but the last new RPG that I enjoyed was Suikoden 3.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well CT has a really fun fighting system, and it's not slow paced.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Actually, the boss music is what I found the coolest about the demo.

The last boss theme to Blue Dragon is phenomenal.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Fixed.
    DWIVHeroseasidestone.png

The second I typed it, I knew someone was going to prove me wrong. Although I was thinking about Secret of Mana, you done gone and went further back.

I'm just hoping for innovation on the JRPG front - we've had a slew of innovations over here in terms of RPGs, but take Blue Dragon and put it next to the very first Final Fantasy and tell me with a straight face that the battle menus aren't exactly the same.

Misanthropic on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The demo was pretty, but fairly simplistic and slow in my opinion. It might have been just a bad demo, though. I'll hold my opinion till the official release.

Shurakai on
  • devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm finding it interesting that hardcore jrpg'ers don't like it, and the people who DON'T like jrpg's are the one who DO like it.

I'm in the second camp. I found myself enjoying it despite being someone who doesn't normally care for japanese games much.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that I no longer care for JRPGs. I was really interested in this, but after playing the demo...meh. It looks really good, and I actually like the character design, but the gameplay is boring as hell. I found myself neglecting to charge any attacks simply to get the battles over with.

*sigh* What's weird is I can still pick up Chrono Trigger and play it for hours.
    I haven't tried the demo yet but my sentiments about JRPGs are exactly the same: I loved them in the 8- and 16-bit eras when I was younger, but now it's hard for me to get excited about them. I loved DQ8 to death but I just lost steam 25-30 hours in; same with FF12 at about 20 hours.

Older RPGs have the gloss of nostalgia and the anticipation of "oh, this really cool part is coming up" to help power through some of the thinning parts; with a new game, you have no such reference point.

I've downloaded the demo but I have yet to have any time to sit down and play it. :(

EDIT: And I'm curious about my response because I am a massive DQ whore. If prodded enough, I could leave work right now and just go home to play DQ4 beginning to end, nonstop.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played through about 15 minutes and promptly quit. It was more than enough time to know that I am picking this up. I didn't want to spoil anything. I actually enjoyed it a bit more than DQ8. Not sure what people were expecting but this seems like a pretty solid first effort from Mistwalker.

corin7 on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like how the bosses get like 6 fucking turns in a row. The game is graphically amazing but I'm not sure if I can dig the style of it all. I'll probably be buying it though. Was anyone else getting slowdown during some of the battle animations (possibly when running into enemies to start fights, couldn't really tell) and shit like that? Probably just my shitty xbox.

klok on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here is the last boss music for Blue Dragon that I mentioned in my other post, by the way.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited July 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    I'm finding it interesting that hardcore jrpg'ers don't like it, and the people who DON'T like jrpg's are the one who DO like it.

I'm in the second camp. I found myself enjoying it despite being someone who doesn't normally care for japanese games much.

Yeah, not sure why that is, since I'm a giant jrpg whore, and I'm still looking forward to this after the demo.

LockeCole on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's just that Blue Dragon is Mistwalker's answer to the Dragon Quest series. If you've grown tired of very traditional JRPGs then you're obviously not going to get much enjoyment out of it. On the other hand, if you still like highly traditional JRPGs, it looks like a must-buy with state of the art visuals and music & well balanced gameplay.

On the other hand, Lost Odyssey seems to be Mistwalker's Final Fantasy. The interviews and movies I've seen for it remind me greatly of SNES/PS1 era Squaresoft. In short, I can't wait. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't expect to like this game, given that I generally hate Japanese Small Boy games, but I sort of liked it.

Underneath it's god awful exterior, there's a solid-but-not-spectacular jrpg engine. Nothing fancy, just simple enough to bring back nostalgic memories of earlier FF titles. Really, the system could not get more vanilla, but I guess that's part of the charm.

The problem is that I cannot stand the look of the game. I hate the characters, I hate HATE the voices, and the music for the one boss battle I played ("this is the beginning!") reeks of shitty, 90s japanese guitar rock. Just awful.

So I doubt I'll play BD again. Lost Odyssey, on the other hand, I'm very excited about, and I hope its mechanics are as solid as BD's.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    I didn't expect to like this game, given that I generally hate Japanese Small Boy games, but I sort of liked it.

Underneath it's god awful exterior, there's a solid-but-not-spectacular jrpg engine. Nothing fancy, just simple enough to bring back nostalgic memories of earlier FF titles. Really, the system could not get more vanilla, but I guess that's part of the charm.

The problem is that I cannot stand the look of the game. I hate the characters, I hate HATE the voices, and the music for the one boss battle I played ("this is the beginning!") reeks of shitty, 90s japanese guitar rock. Just awful.

So I doubt I'll play BD again. Lost Odyssey, on the other hand, I'm very excited about, and I hope its mechanics are as solid as BD's.

The boss music is... odd, to say the least. I'm pretty sure they've said that Japanese voices will be an option in the final version though, which helps if the english voices are really that bad.

LockeCole on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, does anybody know if this would work in an American box?

Yes yes, no english VA. Can't say I'll miss it.

Nevermind, I got confused by pretty pictures. Fairly certain it won't.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it's region locked so it won't work on a US box. I'll be sure to share my impressions when my copy comes in later this week or next though.

RainbowDespair on
    edited July 2007
    Whens the US release again? I know I preordered it forever ago, but the demo reminded me that I waaaant.

LockeCole on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I think it is generally a pretty bad idea to release an rpg demo. I haven't played it yet, but I've never heard of an rpg demo that went terribly well. Then again, I haven't heard of many demos at all.

While normally I agree, the Eternal Sonata demo has thoroughly sold me on the game.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

90s guitar rock? Dude, that was Ian Gillian, the lead singer for Deep Purple and Black Sabbath(for like five minutes) :D. That was total 80s kawk rawk right there.

Aoi on
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it is generally a pretty bad idea to release an rpg demo. I haven't played it yet, but I've never heard of an rpg demo that went terribly well. Then again, I haven't heard of many demos at all.

While normally I agree, the Eternal Sonata demo has thoroughly sold me on the game.

Eternal Sonata was nowhere on my radar I now have it preordered. It was a good demo.

Blue Dragon....I don't know. It's got a lot of things but the demo sure does it's best to make you think it's all crap. It appears it has a job system. This is good, I like job systems. Fuck if I could tell that from the demo until I randomly started screwing around with menu's.

RPG's have a lot and may not be well suited to demo-ing but giving us end game combat right off is pretty shitty way to show off what you have.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The demo felt like a collection of things that RPG's have left behind: turn based battles, unskippable summons, convoluted menus, etc. I really wonder how far into the game the demo takes place.

Also, has anyone played Okage Shadow King? There are more then a few simliarities here.

(which oddly enough will make me play the game in spite of previous complaints)

chamberlain on
    edited July 2007
    The demo felt like a collection of things that RPG's have left behind: turn based battles, unskippable summons, convoluted menus, etc. I really wonder how far into the game the demo takes place.

Also, has anyone played Okage Shadow King? There are more then a few simliarities here.

I'll give you the points on unskippable summons and convoluted menus, but turn based battles are not something that needs to be left behind, thems fighting words ;)

I did play Okage Shadow King, but I never did beat the game, the humor was really odd from what I remember though.

LockeCole on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This demo reminded me of the FFXII demo. Lots of stuff going on, almost too much. Characters appear to be overpowered (killing monsters in one hit), just so you don't go accidentally dying. It didn't make for a very good demo, since it tries to cram way too many things at once.

Now in FFXII the game itself, it did a really good job of actually teaching you things little by little, so that you don't get overwhelmed in the end. I am guessing Blue Dragon will do the same.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played, got through one battle, turned it off, deleted the demo from my 'box.

this is horrible.

Very pretty, but horrible.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited July 2007
    It appears it has a job system. This is good, I like job systems. Fuck if I could tell that from the demo until I randomly started screwing around with menu's.

From what I've read, it appears the job system works like this. You equip a shadow type and gain XP and LVs for that shadow type. Higher job LVs result in more skills and higher stat boosts. Also there's a special shadow type that allows you to equip skills from the other shadows that you have unlocked; LV-ing up that shadow type results in additional slots to equip skills.

Fairly standard stuff, but any decent job system = <3 in my book.

RainbowDespair on
    edited July 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

I'll give you the points on unskippable summons and convoluted menus, but turn based battles are not something that needs to be left behind, thems fighting words ;)

I did play Okage Shadow King, but I never did beat the game, the humor was really odd from what I remember though.

Perhaps if it was easier to tell when a character was going to attack based on what attack was used and how much it was charged. For all I know it was there but I just didn't know what I was looking for.

Turned based is fine, but I think this game could benefit from an injection of Grandia II combat.

chamberlain on
    edited July 2007

Perhaps if it was easier to tell when a character was going to attack based on what attack was used and how much it was charged. For all I know it was there but I just didn't know what I was looking for.

Turned based is fine, but I think this game could benefit from an injection of Grandia II combat.

The little pictures on the top of the screen show turn order and the pictures also show up when you are charging a skill.

LockeCole on
    edited July 2007

The little pictures on the top of the screen show turn order and the pictures also show up when you are charging a skill.

Heh. This is why RPG tutorials are a good thing. I wondered what that was all about.

chamberlain on
    edited July 2007

Heh. This is why RPG tutorials are a good thing. I wondered what that was all about.

Yeah, the NPCs at the first room help a bit, there probably is even tutorials as the game progresses, but they really do just dump overpowered characters with every ability on you with little explaination. I'm still excited about the game, but the demo's handling could have been tons better.

LockeCole on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played, got through one battle, turned it off, deleted the demo from my 'box.

this is horrible.

Very pretty, but horrible.

I would rather play final fantasy 12 instead of this. I agree with you. I don't like blue dragon. The whole over active camera thing annoys the hell out of me. The menu and spell selection seems convoluted as someone else stated.

After getting sick of dragon ball z, I never want to see this animators work ever again. I had to pass on dragonquest for the same reason. I'm about to give up on most RPGS save it for the rare few that are unique and bring new things to the table.

This just isn't my cup of tea :(

Viscountalpha on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's just this turn based thing is so last gen, even though it sounds cliche. It is. If I wanted to take time to defeat my enemies, I'd go play Stratego.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited July 2007
    It's just this turn based thing is so last gen, even though it sounds cliche. It is. If I wanted to take time to defeat my enemies, I'd go play Stratego.

Die in a fire.

If I wanted real time game I'd go play a game of tag. See? I can make stupid arguments too.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Die in a fire.

If I wanted real time game I'd go play a game of tag. See? I can make stupid arguments too.

Agreed. I love both real time and turn based rpg's. If you don't that is fine move along Blue Dragon isn't for you. That doesn't make it last gen, it makes it not for you.

corin7 on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The demo was ok. I can see how fans of traditional JRPG's will love it. It's not for me but I can appreciate the title for what it is.

Bamelin on