As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBL: Blue Dragon Demo Up

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For what it's worth, you can skip the summons. :o

I really enjoyed it, in all honesty - perhaps I'm just not as picky as some when it comes to RPGs :D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to give it another try later. Right now it's fighting with Darkness for play time and Darkness is pure sweet sex when it comes to presentation. Blue Dragon's Demo loses that fight.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone have the lyrics/mp3 of the boss music?

Zilla360 on
    NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Caedere wrote: »

I really enjoyed it, in all honesty - perhaps I'm just not as picky as some when it comes to RPGs :D

So we are down to convoluted menus lol... which probably arent that bad when the items get introduced to you slowly over the entire game (FF12's gambits would probably be a lot more overwhelmning if they all came at once... although they are a bit slow for my tastes)

LockeCole on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »

So we are down to convoluted menus lol... which probably arent that bad when the items get introduced to you slowly over the entire game (FF12's gambits would probably be a lot more overwhelmning if they all came at once... although they are a bit slow for my tastes)

Off topic but I absolutely loved the gambit system.

It seems like the people who don't like the game either don't like turn based games, Tokiyama's art or both.

corin7 on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    It seems like the people who don't like the game either don't like turn based games, Tokiyama's art or both.

No, I like turnbased JRPG's and I adore Toriyama's work, but for whatever reason this didn't click with me. I'm hoping the full game will, though.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I find that I can't really get into demos of RPGs. There needs to be some incentive for me to be battling, leveling, etcetera.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can see why some people are unimpressed with the demo. When you remove storyline context and make the game too easy through over-levelled characters, pretty much any JRPG becomes "menu-manager 2007."

I imagine you'd enjoy it more if you could play it from the beginning onwards, rather than starting so far into the game. At least some of you anyway.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    [[/QUOTE]

After getting sick of dragon ball z, I never want to see this animators work ever again. I had to pass on dragonquest for the same reason. I'm about to give up on most RPGS save it for the rare few that are unique and bring new things to the table.

This just isn't my cup of tea :([/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this, does anyone else feel that basically anything Toriyama draws looks just like Dragonball Z? I know artists have certain styles but everything just looks the same to me although the characters in Blue Dragon look a little less like DBZ than DQ8 did.

On the actual demo itself I gave it a little bit of time and wasn't very impressed but as said before the demo didn't do the best job of showing off the game.

Rei on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I dislike this demo immensely. With that said, I will be maintaining my pre-order. I hated the Crackdown demo too and loved the final product.

I am expecting much the same with this.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Found the lyrics, ZOMG cheese: :D
    Fear and awe in your eyes
    Show you what you can't see
    Reaching hands, you are blind
    Staring down eternity

Fear and awe in your eyes
    Without us you can't see
    Searching hands, you are blind
    Staring down eternity

Hope, despair in your mind
    Prick your hands 'till they bleed
    Show you what you can't find
    Staring through eternity

Hope, despair in your mind
    Without us you are free
    Seek now what you cannot find
    Staring through eternity

Zilla360 on
    NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Here is the last boss music for Blue Dragon that I mentioned in my other post, by the way.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here is the last boss music for Blue Dragon that I mentioned in my other post, by the way.

I think he meant the normal boss music, which is much cheesier.

And much like anything that isn't soundwave, inferior.

LockeCole on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think he meant the normal boss music, which is much cheesier.

And much like anything that isn't soundwave, inferior.

Ohhh.
    Here it is: http://rapidshare.com/files/42572691/218_Eternity.mp3.html

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Blue Dragon Demo felt like it was from an earlier build of the game. It looked like some one threw the E3 demo from the E3 of last year onto the XBox Live market place.

- slowdown , unstable framerate
    - standard enemies which don't necessary match the environment (Jelly fish and poo snake in flying robo fortress? Ok, its a JRPG, so you are most likley fighting against lots of "WTF is this?" monsters, but some of them were really out of place)
    - the area in the forest level looked unfinished, rushed and betaish, especially the messages and animation if you picked up items from stones and machines.
    - strange, almost placeholder like status sounds: "playable", "death", "got item"
    - no title screen
    - unbalanced enemies (yeah, the beetle like variant in the forest can hit you for 250 HP at once, but you can instand kill them after "bubbling up". Then, the three-headed snake which didn't even get a boss music kicks my ass)
    - Strange voice acting: The voices and the content of sentences didn't really match up and flow well. "Lets kill the leader!", "Where is the leader?". Again, most of these sound like placeholders .
    - game throws you back to the dahsboard instead of the title screen after timelimit is up, or after you get to a certain point in the fight against Neme.

Its retarded that there is a time limit. Was this really necesarry? Just add a level cap (if enemies aren't respawning) and a definite end - I could play other demos til enternity if I chose to, but sooner or later I am going to buy the full version, because the demo got stale (or I simply stop playing it).

Another kind of demo would be a much better choise. Show us the start of the game, lets say when you first got you "magical powers" and proceed with a little step by step tutorial, so we can get attached to the characters. I don't need all "the fucking powerful spells" I just need a glimpse what this game is about. If you throw us in the middle of nowhere with overpowered characters without much explanation, its guaranteed that most people don't get hooked that easily.

Personally I liked what I played, even if it felt a bit "detached". Sure I pick up the full version after it is released. Hopefully the developers give you something else to do besides "wandering through the environment" and "fight the enemies". After i saw the first screens of Blue Dragon I imagined the gameplay would be entirely different - Kingdome Hearts like, maybe with "shadows" which follow your motions. Hopefully the "shadows" get implemented in solving puzzles or the interaction with the environment. I hate it when magic only exists within the cut scenes, and the battle area. (I know, i could look up the walkthrough of the japanese version, but I don't want to spoil it myself)

Dratatoo on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I enjoyed the demo, and it's prettier than it has any right to be. The whole game is cut-scene quality. Took me a little while to figure things out, but I liked it. Two complaints: the Szabu (I think that's it's name) battle music is the worst thing I've ever heard, and the voice-overs are also of poor quality, but the rest was pretty okay by my standards.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    This demo was about as hard to read as Dead Rising. The text is tiny.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok, played the demo and apparently got as far as it would let me go in the Nene fight with 24 seconds left.

Anyway.

Absolutely horrid framerate.
    Long, repetitive battle animations that get stale quickly. Can't skip them either.
    Very little to differentiate the characters, ability-wise.
    What's with the randomness in this game? I mean, jrpg ftw, sure, but c'mon.
    Why the hell do the bosses get like, 8 turns at the start of the fight?

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ok, played the demo and apparently got as far as it would let me go in the Nene fight with 24 seconds left.

Anyway.

Absolutely horrid framerate.
    Long, repetitive battle animations that get stale quickly. Can't skip them either.
    Very little to differentiate the characters, ability-wise.
    What's with the randomness in this game? I mean, jrpg ftw, sure, but c'mon.
    Why the hell do the bosses get like, 8 turns at the start of the fight?

How long are you charging your attacks? The longer you do it, the farther back that character gets put in the turn order. But yes, the robot boss gets like 4 attacks to start with.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • domitedomite __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I just played this and the eternal sonata demo. I have to say, I thought this was terrible, bt eternal sonata seems fucking incredible, like the true sucsessor to Star Ocean 2. If anyone who likes rpgs just a little bit hasnt made a jap x-box live account to play the eternal sonata demo, do so NOW!

You won't regret it.

domite on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The demo was nice looking, but the long animations and the horrible, horrible music have completely put me off of this game. It also doesn't seem any different from all the other RPGs out there. The game system doesn't look that hard to pick up, and after about 5 minutes of adjusting skills you can own anything you fight.

Pb on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    The demo was nice looking, but the long animations and the horrible, horrible music have completely put me off of this game. It also doesn't seem any different from all the other RPGs out there. The game system doesn't look that hard to pick up, and after about 5 minutes of adjusting skills you can own anything you fight.

Well yeah, when they give you every single spell and ability in the game off the bat, I'd say you could probably own anything you fight.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Yes, I know that's the reason. That was more for the people talking about the uneven difficulty. I'm definitely considering this game but that boss music is putting me off. I don't think I've ever heard a song that bad in an otherwise good game.

Pb on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Argh!
    Why does EVERYONE have to hate that song?

I think it's an awesome boss theme!
    I've been waiting a long time to get a rock-ish, upbeat boss theme with singing.
    I think it fits the concept of JRPG that doesn't take itself too seriously (like all JRPGs), and that it fits the Toriyama style.

Djiem on
    edited July 2007
    BECAUSE OF THAT ONE FUCKING LINE.

Pb on
    edited July 2007
    I thought it funny

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    I make it a point to not pay attention to the actual words in the lyrics of songs (always easier for me when it's not in French) because, seriously? I can't recall a single song in my life that didn't have cheesy lyrics, or at least ONE dumb line.

Djiem on
    edited July 2007
    Don't listen to much music then I guess.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    I make it a point to not pay attention to the actual words in the lyrics of songs (always easier for me when it's not in French) because, seriously? I can't recall a single song in my life that didn't have cheesy lyrics, or at least ONE dumb line.

It's impossible to ignore! It's the only line where you can actually make out the lyrics, and it's above the music when he sings it. BONUS: He says it twice in 10 seconds.

Pb on
    edited July 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »

It's impossible to ignore! It's the only line where you can actually make out the lyrics, and it's above the music when he sings it. BONUS: He says it twice in 10 seconds.

I don't even know what line you're talking about. I didn't "spot" it.

Balefuelgo: No, it's just that lyrics are dumb.

Djiem on
  • chubschubs Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with all of you
    But jesus christ it was so pretty!

chubs on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I downloaded this demo, but then for some reason I never really could get myself psyched up to play it. But watching my brother play the game pretty much ensures that I'm highly unlikely to ever play it---objectively it looks good, but something about the graphics bother me. It's not the art style (it didn't bother me in Dragon Quest VIII) but something about the way it looks is kind of offputting.

And my brother is a DQ nut so he may like it, but for me the tedium looks to be too much in terms of how traditional the battle system is. I mean, RPG's have (minus DQ) gotten a lot more interesting in terms of their battle systems over the years so it's disappointing to see how stuck in the past it is. I'm only willing to deal with that kind of battle system if it's an actual classic game (see: FFIV).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, the music made it hilarious for me. I was playing it like those people who talk while they play Madden; You know the type "Oh Oh... You like that? Whats that? You gonna hit me like that!? Yeah, okay, I gotcha... well have a nice hot serving of my RAPEFACE! Yeah thats right, you just got schooled sucka! Muwahahaha!!" I was cracking myself up by the time I was smacking Nene around.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The demo felt like a collection of things that RPG's have left behind: turn based battles, unskippable summons, convoluted menus, etc. I really wonder how far into the game the demo takes place.

Also, has anyone played Okage Shadow King? There are more then a few simliarities here.

(which oddly enough will make me play the game in spite of previous complaints)

I'll give you the points on unskippable summons and convoluted menus, but turn based battles are not something that needs to be left behind, thems fighting words ;)

I did play Okage Shadow King, but I never did beat the game, the humor was really odd from what I remember though.

Perhaps if it was easier to tell when a character was going to attack based on what attack was used and how much it was charged. For all I know it was there but I just didn't know what I was looking for.

Turned based is fine, but I think this game could benefit from an injection of Grandia II combat.

The little pictures on the top of the screen show turn order and the pictures also show up when you are charging a skill.

I don't know. I would charge my attack as close to the right-hand side of the bar as I could and around 50% of the time the same character would immediately attack.

I think I want it, but it depends on the battle system, and the demo didn't do a good enough job of explaining it to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ruiisuruiisu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    After playing the demo. I have to say it was extremly difficult to embrace turn base combat after the gem that was FFXII. In fact it felt like I was ripped off (and the demo is free!). All turn based combat should stay in Strategy RPGS and even those are moving foward in to RTS territory! I have to honestly say that I rank all RPGs to FFXII. I think everything else feels dated and that its retarded to produce something that works like DQ8 (granted it was a good classic style game but horribly dated). I enjoyed Disgaea 2 much more!

After having said that... I enjoyed the demo, but didnt love how they presented this otherwise great game. I am really excited about it. Building up characters, job classes, customizing, presentation and graphics all keep it fresh enough. Theres is sooo much to this game! The little additions from selecting groups prebattle customizing how you handle battles and avoiding some all together make the experience that much better.
    Like FFXII you can enjoy the game as you wish and the battle system keeps you involved just enough and you can make it less involving when you just want to move foward. The story and small touches sold me on this one so Ill see you guys on release day! :)

ruiisu on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    I played it for about ten minutes.

Very pretty.

I had no fucking clue what was going on, but it was very pretty.

I'm pretty sure I'll like it when it's not in retarded-demo form, though, so I'll be buying it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2007
    I have a feeling the charge-up mechanic can become pretty strategic in a gaming situation where your characters aren't gods like in the demo. Visually, I love it (except the slowdowns). I love it VERY much.

You know what kind of RPG I'd like to see with that art and graphic style? A Dragon Ball one. Not Z. Just DB. With son Goku, Bulma, Krillin, Master Roshi, Yamcha, and the gang from the early mangas, like, from the beginning to before Picollo, when it was humorous and light-hearted.

And the story would be original. It would start pretty much like the DB story, but then they'd have new, original adventures. Toriyama is easily the best suited to create original story arcs and characters for the universe he made himself.

Djiem on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My English/Chinese copy of the game just came in so I'll be sure to post my game impressions later tonight or tomorrow after I've had a chance to take it out for a test drive. In the meantime, my immediate thoughts:

The case has a dual cover. The regular side is silver and very shiny and has Shu summoning a shadow on the front. If you flip the cover inside out, the background is black and it has the villain summoning his shadow on the front. Both versions have the same layout on the back: the phrase "The Light from your Heart Creates your Shadow" in both English and Chinese, various screenshots from story movies, the names Hironobu Sakaguchi, Akira Toriyama, and Nobuo Uematsu displayed prominently ("From the leading names in game development comes the ultimate next-generation RPG for fans everywhere."), and the standard XBox 360 game feature list bubbles.

The game comes on 3 DVDs. Due to the way the DVDs are packaged, for a second I thought I was missing one, but luckily this turned out to not be the case. The manual is in full color. The first half is in Chinese, the second is in English. The quality of the English in the manual seems to be decent: a little stilted at times, but readable. Didn't see any particularly funny Engrish although admittedly I didn't look long. The game also came with a card with a code to get a "secret Blue Dragon gift." Unfortunately, I couldn't log onto the website to see what it was.

The card also contained the official Asian Blue Dragon website address: www.BlueDragonTheGame.com - click on Singapore as your address and it'll be in English. I noticed that among other things that they had what looked to be a very nice walkthrough and guide for most of the first DVD complete with screenshots in the walkthrough.

RainbowDespair on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I've played for about 2 hours and I must say that I'm very impressed. The actual game is a blast. It's a shame that the demo was so poorly constructed (whose bright idea was it to start it halfway through the story and give the character so much power that it becomes boring?) since it would be too bad if JRPG lovers missed out on it just because of the demo.

Some random thoughts:

The job/skill system is a blast, a definite contender for best job system in an RPG ever IMO. Lots of interesting skills & plenty of slots to equip them. I like how after the first 3 classes that start out unlocked for everyone (Sword, Black Magic, and White Magic), each character unlocks new classes when they reach certain LVs and you get to pick the order that each character will unlock new classes (as opposed to the FFV method where you gain new classes at certain points in the story). The game has a good sense of humor: I've enjoyed the monster designs & reading up on stuff in the encyclopedia that you find in a chest early on. Not sure on the plot yet (lots of action scenes early on, but not a ton of actual plot), but the cutscenes sure are pretty. Load times are there, but fairly short. Although I'm more partial to the SMT brand of music, the music in Blue Dragon has been very good so far; one of Nobuo's best. I like the gameplay additions to the standard format: charging attacks adds a bit of action and strategy to combat and chaining monster groups together for bonuses and destruction (some enemies dislike certain types of enemies and will kill them for you if in the same battle) is a lot of fun. The game is a bit on the easy side, but then again, I'm still really early in the game.

In short, it looks gorgeous, sounds wonderful, and has fun gameplay. The translation is pretty good as well (I was worried since it's an Asian dual language release). If it keeps up the level of quality I've seen so far, I'd say it's a must buy for any RPG lover who owns an XBox 360 and a good excuse to buy an XBox 360 if you don't already own one. A steal at the $40 it cost me (Asian 360 games tend to be cheaper plus it was on sale) and I'd say it's even worth the $60 that the US version will cost.

RainbowDespair on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played the first bit of the demo for about half an hour, killed a boss and then turned it off. It seems like a fun game suffering from a poorly constructed demo so I am strongly considering picking it up. My main hang ups are the graphics and the plot though.

I thought I could deal with the DQVII graphical style but I eventually drifted away from that as I couldn't really face it any more, these ones at least seem a little better as although they still suffer from the same style they don't seem quite as boring.

As for the plot, that was the other thing which killed my interest in DQVII, so could anybody, without actually telling me anything of the plot, tell me whether it is strong (such as was present from the snes era up to the tenth Final Fantasy)? I play my RPGs for epic stories and I always feel ripped off if I don't get that.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule