As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SANDBOX ON] Second Life

• Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What the hell is your SL name, Mr. Cosby?

Btw, those are pretty damn good for just screwing around. hehe, pun intended. I mean, it seems you have good control over the prims enough to do some cool plating effects and detailing like the pipes in the shoes. You are right though, 150 prims is waaay too many. But most people try and make stuff as low prim as possible, and then work their way up... but you probably are going to be getting more practice bye starting big and then dwindling down. Either way, nice work.

Thanks! Name in-game is Agrippa Republic. Yea I figured it was too high. I mean, I just don't have the $L to upload textures, so I just opted for the cheap way. But I'm aware that it's too much, and much of it can be removed with textures.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I'm still wanting to join up, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    MrDelish wrote: »
    big robot stuff

Is any of this recorded?

I believe I may have some screenshots of it on an old external harddrive, and I believe one dude wrote a little thing about me with some screenshots in his blog, but that was a long time ago. I was a big black robot with red angry eyes and one of them had a crosshairs thing over it, and a big battery pack or something on my back.

I actually was planning to turn myself into some kind of walking night club, but since people can't really sit on avatars and stuff I eventually gave up the idea. The best I could do was have the parts of my body used for a building.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I'm still wanting to join up, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

What, 404 errors where? In the client window when you open it up? Check your port permissions and stuff, sometimes some routers can fuck with it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nah, after I click the button to confirm my sign-up.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nah, after I click the button to confirm my sign-up.

huh weird, are you using IE or something? It worked for me in firefox. Maybe popups need to be enabled? I dunno... I'm just guessing.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    veritas1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, let me ask you something and hopefully I can get a response. I am interested in building a super tiny insect body for myself and using that as an Avatar in SL. I don't play SL much anymore, but that's the one thing that would bring me back for a bit.

I have these skills:

Scripting

Will it be hard for me to make a tiny body? I've seen people with some very small avatars, like the size of stuffed animals and stuff walking around, shortly before I left SL. How exactly did they do that? Where did their avatar's body go?

See a long time ago, I was actually one of the first people to have a HUGE avatar. Basically, it took many builds but I had eventually constructed a massive robot body for myself, and I was bigger than sky scrapers and everything. The body didn't have any walking animation, but it was made in such a way that my arms could move and the body was quite articulate in some places. I was so big, I terrorized this one club all the damn time and they banned me but it didn't matter because my body could reach across the ban lines and fuck with them anyway. I was so big that I used their dance floor, which was overlooking a cliff, as my table, and I watched people dance below like if they were my play things. I was quite popular in an anime sim where people flew around my body in their jets and stuff attacking me, I would smash through people's homes and they would come out and tell me to fuck off, and I would stomp through the welcome area and crush people which eventually led to Lindens getting involved and telling me to leave. I played myself off as the lonely iron giant that nobody wanted.

Well now, I'm interested in using the tiny prim techniques to build myself a very very small insect body. Any advice? Is it practical? I haven't been on SL in years.

Man, I'll build you a tiny insect body if you show me what kind of crap I have to make. I dunno how you'd do the rest of the crap though.

Well I think my insect of choice is going to be a Honey bee.
    yardbee3.jpg

I think if you just build it, and make all the limbs and stuff kind of nice and modular, it could be turned into actual working avatar. I could figure out how it works, but information about tiny avatars seems to be spread thin or is a trade secret or something. hmm.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    M'using firefox. Hang on, let me take a screenshot.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I guess a bee has several parts:

A head, a thorax, the abdomin, 2 wings, and 6 legs, the front 2 are kinda similar and the back legs are a bit longer.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Here's the problem. (Warning, image is pretty big.)
    notfoundwhutsl8.jpg

That's after I choose a name and put in the details about myself.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hey guys, let me ask you something and hopefully I can get a response. I am interested in building a super tiny insect body for myself and using that as an Avatar in SL. I don't play SL much anymore, but that's the one thing that would bring me back for a bit.

I have these skills:

Scripting

Will it be hard for me to make a tiny body? I've seen people with some very small avatars, like the size of stuffed animals and stuff walking around, shortly before I left SL. How exactly did they do that? Where did their avatar's body go?

See a long time ago, I was actually one of the first people to have a HUGE avatar. Basically, it took many builds but I had eventually constructed a massive robot body for myself, and I was bigger than sky scrapers and everything. The body didn't have any walking animation, but it was made in such a way that my arms could move and the body was quite articulate in some places. I was so big, I terrorized this one club all the damn time and they banned me but it didn't matter because my body could reach across the ban lines and fuck with them anyway. I was so big that I used their dance floor, which was overlooking a cliff, as my table, and I watched people dance below like if they were my play things. I was quite popular in an anime sim where people flew around my body in their jets and stuff attacking me, I would smash through people's homes and they would come out and tell me to fuck off, and I would stomp through the welcome area and crush people which eventually led to Lindens getting involved and telling me to leave. I played myself off as the lonely iron giant that nobody wanted.

Well now, I'm interested in using the tiny prim techniques to build myself a very very small insect body. Any advice? Is it practical? I haven't been on SL in years.

Man, I'll build you a tiny insect body if you show me what kind of crap I have to make. I dunno how you'd do the rest of the crap though.

yardbee3.jpg

I think if you just build it, and make all the limbs and stuff kind of nice and modular, it could be turned into actual working avatar. I could figure out how it works, but information about tiny avatars seems to be spread thin or is a trade secret or something. hmm.

Hmmmmm... I don't know. I mean, isn't the way they work, that they fit over-top of your "normal" avatar and hide it? Is there a way to turn off your normal avatar?

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Here's the problem. (Warning, image is pretty big.)
    notfoundwhutsl8.jpg

That's after I choose a name and put in the details about myself.

Huh that's really weird. I dunno, if you don't really care, maybe I can try to do it for you and it'll send you the notification email... I'd need your info though. *shrug*

veritas1 on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    re: Tiny Avatars

I believe the way people do it is they use an Animation Override to scrunch up the avatar's body as small as possible then use custom animations for movements and the like. The downside is that you can't use any of the usual poseballs and stuff.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, Fuck 4Chan and their ruining Babbage.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I have these skills:

Scripting

yardbee3.jpg

Hmmmmm... I don't know. I mean, isn't the way they work, that they fit over-top of your "normal" avatar and hide it? Is there a way to turn off your normal avatar?

Maybe, but regardless you would need some actual stuff to represent your body. I bet once they do hide the body, the attached prims have some sort of animation thing, where the prim will move in certain ways when your own animations get called.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zetx wrote: »
    re: Tiny Avatars

I believe the way people do it is they use an Animation Override to scrunch up the avatar's body as small as possible then use custom animations for movements and the like. The downside is that you can't use any of the usual poseballs and stuff.

So like, you can crush the avatars body into a very very small point? How small is this point exactly? How well does it owrk? Small enough to make me the size of a tiny prim?

As a bee of course, I wouldn't have any interest in using regular poseballs anyway.

I think I can see how it could be done. First make the avatar very small with this animation thing, and then the bee prim will work in such a way that if it detects the avatar has triggered it's walk animation, the avatar won't really animate but the bee prim itself will move it's legs like if it's walking. And if the avatar is in flying mode the bee will be hovering flapping it's wings. Yea it doesn't sound too bad. Just needs content.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I did some searching last night, and I find a few places selling tiny avatars. They weren't exactly TINY. They were about squirrel sized. They were all in japanese, so I don't know what was going on really. There were a few stands where it would scrunch your current avatar down to about 1/3 it's regular size and perform animations. Like a weird sideways rolling animation, that I'm sure looks cute if you're some deformed anime child or something. Might want to have a look at that stuff.

Also, a big thanks to Cynic for outfitting me in some new duds! I'm a new man! Ruffian no longer!
    swankagrippa.jpg
    We did encounter some 4channers. They were, uh... tools? I guess it wasn't very surprising.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think I am going to get started screwing around with some Animations. Maybe I can make a few good ones because god damn, some of them just plain SUCK! I mean, even the commercial ones.

What do you guys think?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007
    Disco Dance animations! LoL, I needs ta Hustle my Fox's tail off!

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okies, I have gotten a freebie tool called Qavinator and it seems pretty damn cool. Fairly okay to use, and it was made up with SL animations in mind so it already has the SL Human model in it.

I've even already made my first animation, a frustrated pose, ^^

Kind of sums up my feelings on learning a new tool.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    What do you guys do in Second Life? Every time I've dropped back into it, it's just been cybersex city with every potentially interesting sim being deserted.

I guess you could model, but I can go get a learner copy of Maya and do that without having to look at furry sex.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What are you talking about? That second statement makes no sense to me at all.

And most of us are picking up a trade of some sort. I am looking at Animations, Radd is just super awesome, and Mr. Cosby here is doing some modeling. Oh, and Omega working on shirts and photography.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    oh, so outside of crafting there's pretty much nothing to do?

when it started there were all sorts of social initiatives and things like that, are those still around?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

when it started there were all sorts of social initiatives and things like that, are those still around?

Oh yeah man, just search under events and find something current. There's always some social gathering going on or live music or something. We are just more of the industrious type because many of us are going to be in SL for a while, might as well pick up an art and try and make some lindens or something or at the very least, be valuable in some way.

But yeah, contact me in world, I can give you a bunch of land marks to just explore and hang out at.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Right now LL's featuring (sponsoring?) some sort of Winter festival thing. I believe it's on their blog.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So apparently theres tiny villages, tiny clothes, tiny furniture, and even tiny sex balls for all the tiny avatar creatures. It's like a tiny little world.

Oh does SL still have that teen grid thing going?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I always go through cycles with SL, I'll be on constantly for a few months, then forget about it for like a year. Sorry Phibbs.

Man, my friends and I were chilling in front of my boatslip in Babbage and this idiot with weird boots and some self-important furry showed up and harshed our buzz. We were being dicks to them, but they didn't catch the hint and fuck off. Welp.

Snapshot_002.jpg

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh does SL still have that teen grid thing going?

I found out that my 13 year old brother is quite industrious on the teen grid when I visited my parents this weekend. I was pretty surprised at the stuff he's pulling off at his age.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I always go through cycles with SL, I'll be on constantly for a few months, then forget about it for like a year. Sorry Phibbs.

Man, my friends and I were chilling in front of my boatslip in Babbage and this idiot with weird boots and some self-important furry showed up and harshed our buzz. We were being dicks to them, but they didn't catch the hint and fuck off. Welp.

And you found it necessary to make a post here. Thanks for the flame bait, I'm not biting.

If you aren't going to be considerate, you don't have to talk to me or the Coz.

Another thing, your sig is too tall.

EDIT: Also, I found this incredibly hilarious advertising.
    Warning though, it is quite tall.
    MrLee_001.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Oh yeah man, just search under events and find something current. There's always some social gathering going on or live music or something. We are just more of the industrious type because many of us are going to be in SL for a while, might as well pick up an art and try and make some lindens or something or at the very least, be valuable in some way.

But yeah, contact me in world, I can give you a bunch of land marks to just explore and hang out at.

note that by social activities i do not mean nightclubs

e: sup Phibbs! You still around? I'll have to try and get my password back

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

note that by social activities i do not mean nightclubs

Actually, I didn't even have rave clubs in mind at all. They are not my style, and trust me, there is always plenty to do. Even random exploring is fun.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Oh yeah, totally around! That bit of ship in the background of Depressperado's pic is my wet-docked airship steamboat thinger! I dabble in quite a bit, my infatuation of the season is steampunkery. I think I'm tired of the Wastelands now, seems like it's becoming like the main grid, ie. cluttered with blingtards who plop down the first dirty prefab they find and say it's in theme. Also I'm tired of my neighbor's blimp that plays propellor buzzing CONSTANTLY, and quite loud, I might add, despite the owner's insistence to the contrary. Kinda hard to get in that Fallouty mood when you can't not hear the loud annoying blimp buzzing overhead. My disbelief is unsuspended!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I found a neat little go karting place if you guys are up for a race some time. It sounds completely retarded, but at the same time it is all kinds of fun.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The coolest thing I saw in SL ever was probably a spelunking sim where you would crawl around very tight spaces in cool looking caves and stuff with all sorts of gear.

That was over 4 years ago.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    HAHAHA, holy crap,. It's so much fun to have a go kart go thru a wall of resetting dominoes with accurate physics.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Has anyone made a "Third Life" game within Second Life?

This was actually something I wanted to do a long time ago. Make a little mock-up Third Life screen on an in-game computer and make it so people could sit down and somehow talk to other people around the Second Life world who were using the Third Life computers too. Maybe make some kind of MUD.

Which reminds me, did telephones ever get invented in SL?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wiki wrote:
    Dwight Schrute from the US television series The Office is an avid Second Life player; this was featured prominently in the October 25, 2007 episode "Local Ad."[87]. Dwight plays a character named 'Dwight Shelford' who is able to fly, and creates a virtual world within Second Life named Second Second Life. Jim Halpert is seen to play the game later in the episode, and he claims his character is "just to keep tabs on Dwight"; however, Pam Beesly comments on the detail in his character and notes it must have taken him quite some time to make it.

Gotta love the office.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Second Life WAS fun the last few times I tried (A number of months back now) a little clunky put Cynic did show me places that weren't just cyber-sex related.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yea that go-kart track stuff was awesome, Cynic! I'd like to get a hold of those track pieces and make some sweet custom tracks.

Also pictures of our Evel Knievel stunts into stacks of dominoes that reset themselves after 10 seconds. This was so ridiculously hilarious.
    karts1.jpg

karts2.jpg

karts3.jpg

Much fun was also had making wobbly chairs, sitting on them and then dropping them from the clouds. Oh! After you left Cynic, that laser-beam eyes girl and I made a series of steep ramps, kind of like a giant game of plinko for chair-sitting wobblies.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Second Life WAS fun the last few times I tried (A number of months back now) a little clunky put Cynic did show me places that weren't just cyber-sex related.

And from what I gathered, you did enjoy those that were cyber-sex related. :winky:

Just kidding, I actually don't even remember what we did together.

Also! Who's the leader of Fancy Lads!? I demand permission to add more people to our damn group so at least it has a chance at a revival!

Lucky Cynic on
This discussion has been closed.