As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about drugs!

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    The point is, LSD is a good goddamn time.

See, to me, that doesn't sound fun at all.

To each his own, I guess.

Honestly, I think my favorite thing is that it honestly feels like being a kid again.

that's how I tend to describe it in real life. not sure if it's for the same reasons as you put down, but most definitely LIMEworthy description.

it's like everything is new.

Yeah, thats one of my favorite things about LSD. The sense of rebirth can be absolutely astounding.

In vein with the 'eating on acid' stories, we once ordered an enormous meatzza from a restuarant to eat at a friends apartment. I, being confused as shit, threw in like $8.00 to get a pizza with lamb on it. And when it finally got there, thats exactly what it was - big steaming bits of lamb and strips of meat. I couldn't eat a single slice because it was just too strange.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man since when does Varible drop acid

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a light drinker and a light pot smoker. I consider myself a responsible person. Should I try mushrooms?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd say sure why not. I always reccomend doing it with at least one person who's done it before and having another person there who's sober.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I'd say sure why not. I always reccomend doing it with at least one person who's done it before and having another person there who's sober.

I'd also recommend not getting drunk while doing it.

While not a sure thing, I've seen more than one person flip out or have a "bad trip" off of mushrooms because of drinking while doing it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hmm.. are mushrooms any more dangerous than what I do already? I just don't want to go crazy or something, ha. Gotta stay responsible.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It can be intense, but I've never been overwhelmed.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm.. are mushrooms any more dangerous than what I do already? I just don't want to go crazy or something, ha. Gotta stay responsible.

Not really. They do have the effects most drugs (weed included) have, like lowering your immune system and such.

Not so much else.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    msuhrooms are less processed than most physdelics. They can upset your stomach a bit thats about it.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    msuhrooms are less processed than most physdelics. They can upset your stomach a bit thats about it.

Peyote will make you puke.

Also, shrooms taste like shit. Literally.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007

My personal experience is limited; stay around people you trust and be sure there is at least one person who is also on them nearby. Don't take too much (2 grams is plenty) avoid being alone; avoid being in public and you'll be fine. Oh and be very very sure you can trust the dealer or at least be sure person picking up knows what to look for; sometimes people will try to give you bad stuff.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All this assumes that the mushrooms are actually the species you expect them to be, and are clean. Eating the wrong type of misidentified mushrooms can cause severe illness and even death, and there are certain molds that can grow on psilocybin mushrooms which are highly toxic.

But if you get a good batch, the worst risks are going to be HPPD (as described previously in the thread), which is quite rare; and the psychological risks of having a "bad trip" which are avoidable (mostly by not worrying about having a bad trip - anxiety about it is a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

I'd also recommend not getting drunk while doing it.

While not a sure thing, I've seen more than one person flip out or have a "bad trip" off of mushrooms because of drinking while doing it.

Really? I usually have a good time when I drink on mushies. Also it seems like I can handle a lot more alcohol... I dunno.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here's an article from CNN that was up today:
    CNN wrote:
    Marijuana may increase psychosis risk, analysis says
    LONDON, England (AP) -- Using marijuana seems to increase the chance of becoming psychotic, researchers report in an analysis of past research that reignites the issue of whether pot is dangerous.

Some experts say governments should now work to dispel a misconception that marijuana is a benign drug.

The new review suggests that even infrequent use could raise the small but real risk of this serious mental illness by 40 percent.

Doctors have long suspected a connection and say the latest findings underline the need to highlight marijuana's long-term risks. The research, paid for by the British Health Department, is being published Friday in medical journal The Lancet.

"The available evidence now suggests that cannabis is not as harmless as many people think," said Dr. Stanley Zammit, one of the study's authors and a lecturer in the department of psychological medicine at Cardiff University.

The researchers said they couldn't prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known.

There could be something else about marijuana users, "like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses," Zammit said.

Marijuana is the most frequently used illegal substance in many countries, including the United Kingdom and the United States. About 20 percent of young adults report using it at least once a week, according to government statistics.

Zammit and colleagues from the University of Bristol, Imperial College and Cambridge University examined 35 studies that tracked tens of thousands of people for periods ranging from one year to 27 years to examine the effect of marijuana on mental health.

They looked for psychotic illnesses as well as cognitive disorders including delusions and hallucinations, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, neuroses and suicidal tendencies.

They found that people who used marijuana had roughly a 40 percent higher chance of developing a psychotic disorder later in life. The overall risk remains very low.

Don't Miss
    Experts: Pills becoming new marijuana on campus
    For example, Zammit said the risk of developing schizophrenia for most people is less than 1 percent. The prevalence of schizophrenia is believed to be about five in 1,000 people. But because of the drug's wide popularity, the researchers estimate that about 800 new cases of psychosis could be prevented by reducing marijuana use.

The scientists found a more disturbing outlook for "heavy users" of pot, those who used it daily or weekly: Their risk for psychosis jumped to a range of 50 percent to 200 percent.

One doctor noted that people with a history of mental illness in their families could be at higher risk. For them, marijuana use "could unmask the underlying schizophrenia," said Dr. Deepak Cyril D'Souza, an associate professor of psychiatry at Yale University, who was not involved in the study.

Dr. Wilson Compton, a senior scientist at the National Institute on Drug Abuse in Washington, called the study persuasive.

"The strongest case is that there are consistencies across all of the studies," and that the link was seen only with psychoses -- not anxiety, depression or other mental health problems, he said.

Scientists cannot rule out that pre-existing conditions could have led to both marijuana use and later psychoses, he added.

Scientists think it is biologically possible that marijuana could cause psychoses because it interrupts important neurotransmitters such as dopamine. That can interfere with the brain's communication systems.

Some experts say governments should now work to dispel the misconception that marijuana is a benign drug.

"We've reached the end of the road with these kinds of studies," said Dr. Robin Murray of King's College, who had no role in the Lancet study. "Experts are now agreed on the connection between cannabis and psychoses. What we need now is for 14-year-olds to know it."

In the U.K., the government will soon reconsider how marijuana should be classified in its hierarchy of drugs. In 2004, it was downgraded and penalties for possession were reduced. Many expect marijuana will be bumped up to a class "B" category, with offenses likely to lead to arrests or longer jail sentences.

Two of the authors of the study were invited experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs Cannabis Review in 2005. Several authors reported being paid to attend drug company-sponsored meetings related to marijuana, and one received consulting fees from companies that make antipsychotic medications

I just don't know what to think about this article. It feels like the most ambiguous thing ever.
    I mean, anyone can say "I think" or "Maybe".

Fellhand on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »

Welcome to science.

In all seriousness, it's pretty well-known that cannabis use increases the likelihood of developing schizophrenia, and it seems to be that this effect only (or mostly) occurs in people who were already at risk of developing the disease.

The study mentioned was a literature review. They didn't find anything particularly new, they just confirmed that there is a verifiable trend.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone else here NOT do drugs? Like, I drink a little socially but that's it.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CNN wrote:
    *snip*

Two of the authors of the study were invited experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs Cannabis Review in 2005. Several authors reported being paid to attend drug company-sponsored meetings related to marijuana, and one received consulting fees from companies that make antipsychotic medications

I just don't know what to think about this article. It feels like the most ambiguous thing ever.

That last paragraph is well suspect. Interestingly, the BBC story includes this quote:
    But Professor Leslie Iverson, from the University of Oxford, said there was still no conclusive evidence that cannabis use causes psychotic illness.

"Their prediction that 14% of psychotic outcomes in young adults in the UK may be due to cannabis use is not supported by the fact that the incidence of schizophrenia has not shown any significant change in the past 30 years."

and this quote:
    Professor David Nutt, head of psychopharmacology at the University of Bristol, said that cannabis was unquestionably harmful but very much less addictive or damaging than either alcohol or tobacco.

"The idea that reclassification upwards will do anything to reduce psychosis is naive and runs the risk of perversely inflicting even greater suffering - through increasing criminal sanctions - on vulnerable individuals already afflicted with mental illness."

Gorak on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Does anyone else here NOT do drugs? Like, I drink a little socially but that's it.

I use to be this way, until I said "fuck it" and did like three massive green bong hits. Wow, that was dumb, but fun none the less.

To this day, I give marijuana a thumbs up.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    precisionk wrote: »

I use to be this way, until I said "fuck it" and did like three massive green bong hits. Wow, that was dumb, but fun none the less.

I never drank before college (I'm done with my first year), and at college I drank every now and then, but only got really drunk twice maybe in school, and a few more times with my friends at school. I never smoked until one time I came home from college for break and was hanging out with my HS friends and was like, why not. Since then I only have smoked maybe 3 other times, and with the same people. I try and space it out. I'll never buy it myself... eh. It's fun enough, I'm just a cautious person.

Plus, it doesn't take very much for me to end up with a serious case of the giggles where everything is funny.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    precisionk wrote: »

I fully approve, just don't try the same if someone offers you a line of charlie. :P

Gorak on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CNN wrote:
    snip

It's the usual reefer-madness DEA propaganda, courtesy of "scientists" paid off by drug companies. The findings of the study itself are vague and have no scientific value, it's not a controlled study and the raw data could easily be manipulated to say anything. If any of it were true then the rate of schizophrenia would not have remained quite steady while drug use climbed over the last 50 years or so.

From the Globe:
    Zammit said the research couldn't prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis
    Alan Young, a criminal law professor at York University's Osgoode Hall who has led efforts to liberalize Canada's marijuana laws, said evidence suggests that marijuana may trigger mental illness in users who are predisposed to it, but questioned whether researchers have ever shown a causal link between the two.

"If that were the case, after 40 years of heavy marijuana consumption in the Western world, we should be seeing an epidemic of schizophrenia," Mr. Young said. "That's what makes these claims so hollow."
    Two of the authors of the study were invited experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs Cannabis Review in 2005. Several authors reported being paid to attend drug company-sponsored meetings related to marijuana, and one received consulting fees from companies that make antipsychotic medications.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What percentage of the population do you think has tried marijuana at least once? Because a hell of a lot of people I know have, even if only once and never again.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What percentage of the population do you think has tried marijuana at least once? Because a hell of a lot of people I know have, even if only once and never again.

total guess, 80%.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I tend to assume anyone I meet whether on here or in real life has not done drugs.

and honestly when compared with someone who does drugs, trying it once when you were younger doesn't really count, you are just in a different headspace about it.

I mean, obviously trying it when you were younger isn't equal to let's say, never trying it AND protesting it... but I think you get the picture. it's a sliding scale but it's always and only safe to assume that someone has never touched drugs.

so I doubt your alone.

ALSO! for the next time you trip...

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/guides/guides_article2.shtml

read this, and have at least one friend read, preferably one who will be staying sober for the duration. AVOID YOUR ASSHOLE FRIENDS WHILE YOU TRIP. and you know who I mean. not your friends who annoy you from time to time, but the ones who are always assholes but for some reason they are still your friends. they will not be after you trip around them. they can fuck shit up, seriously, and you won't be in the mood for it.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I imagine the percentage for trying it at least once is quite large. I'd estimate between 30 and 40%. We're talking about just America right? I don't know what other countries are like culturally in regards to this. Except the Netherlands.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've found that since I've tried drugs, I can now identify people that are on drugs. Anyone else notice that?

Like I never realized my dad was high a couple of times when I was a kid, but we went to a wedding last year and he took a walk for a while and came back and was all smiles and his eyes were red. It was ok because at the time I was high too.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I really need to try E again

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'm too afraid to try it. I just don't like the idea of seratonin being forced out of my brain and some of my friends that have tried it tell me that the next two or three days after they feel blah. I have trouble feeling things anyway and think it would be bad.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I don't even do that, generally. Fully support getting rid of most (all but the worst drugs) prohibitions that we have in favor of taxation and regulation, too.

moniker on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'd like to try it.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    you need to learn that the bleh part is part of it. if you can do this you will rise above the rabble.

you also won't be into doing it hard or back to back, because the down part won't seem like the end of the world where the only answer is more.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

I'd like to try it.

We'll schedule a heavy petting session in the near future then :winky:

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'd like to try it.

hahaha.

I really need to do shrooms too.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    be careful... we can't talk about getting or sharing or selling and what have you.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    be careful... we can't talk about getting or sharing or selling and what have you.

Yeah. I wasnt going there.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm just making sure. I don't want anything to happen to this thread :). I assume people know the rules and whatnot but you can't be too careful.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'd like to try it.

hahaha.

I really need to do shrooms too.

Yes. A+++++ would buy again.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've found that since I've tried drugs, I can now identify people that are on drugs. Anyone else notice that?

Like I never realized my dad was high a couple of times when I was a kid, but we went to a wedding last year and he took a walk for a while and came back and was all smiles and his eyes were red. It was ok because at the time I was high too.
    Last Christmas the family was in the midst of all manner of idiotic drama over my aunt and uncle breaking up, and my grandmother being unable to deal with the loss of my grandfather... so my other aunt, uncle and I went out to walk the dogs. Next thing I knew I was sharing a fat joint of BC Blueberry with my 48-year-old relatives. It was an interesting Christmas.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

ALSO! for the next time you trip...

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/guides/guides_article2.shtml

read this, and have at least one friend read, preferably one who will be staying sober for the duration. AVOID YOUR ASSHOLE FRIENDS WHILE YOU TRIP. and you know who I mean. not your friends who annoy you from time to time, but the ones who are always assholes but for some reason they are still your friends. they will not be after you trip around them. they can fuck shit up, seriously, and you won't be in the mood for it.

Oh, that person. Man, I hate that person. When I try mushrooms, I hope he isn't in the same state.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

It is a bad drug to love.

It makes for a bad habit.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.