As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about drugs!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The results of hallucinogens and people with already unbalanced microchemistry is a documented fact. Trouble is it seems to be completely random and unpredictable.

Like Acid was tested early on as a medication for violent pych patients. it proved
    to be very helpful to some people, do nothing to others and make other ones go totally batshit insane. Same reason it was ditched as an interrogation device it's effects were so unpredictable.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    E used to be perscribed for depression.
    Barbituates were pretty common in the 50s.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    E used to be perscribed for depression.

It was, but it wasn't "prescribed" in the sense that the doctor gave you a bottle of MDMA pills or a slip that you could trade for a bottle of pills at the pharmacy. It was used by some psychotherapists within their practice, they'd give a small amount to a patient to facilitate a psychotherapy session. Even then, drug-assisted psychotherapy has never been a mainstream practice, so while there's no objective way of knowing how widespread this practice was, it was probably a pretty rare thing.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This an article I think you guys would find interesting. It's a case study of using psychedelics to treat childhood schizophrenics. It's long, but I recommend reading the whole thing:

Link

Here's a few quotes:
    This eleven year old girl was the most difficult and challenging person we treated. When first introduced to me, she was in complete retraints twenty-four hours a day. She was in full camisole and her legs were tied to the bed. This was necessary due to her extreme self destructive behavior. If her hands were free, she would gouge out her eyes, hit herself in the head as hard as possible, bite her fingers, tear out her tongue. She was totally emaciated, covered with swellings and bruises, black eyes in sunken sockets. She was incontinent and refused to eat. She was IV fed, she looked like a beaten up, starved, wild, eighty year old woman. She made no eye contact, did not respond to any physical stimuli, attempted to make guttural noises and spit, but unsuccessfully, as she was so exhausted. The attending physician felt that she would probably die. All known drugs had been tried. It was frightening to treat her with LSD, as my concern was her extremely frail physical condition and that she might die during a session.

And treatment:
    She began to attend school on half days and was able to adjust to the setting. It was hard for her to share adult attention and other children her age did not have her sophistication. She was very bright and didn't miss a thing. She had become affectionate and warm, loved to be physically touched, and smiled happily a great deal of the time. She had given up her self-destructive behavior and wanted to identify with the treatment staff and to be included in the grown-up world. Unfortunately she was often bored because there was a gross lack of stimulation available for her in the ward setting.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I prefer E to cocaine. I don't like cocaine, actually. It didnt really affect my mood much.. just made me numb, both in a "blah" way and in a "I can't feel my face" way.

Cocaines good as a booster once you've come up and plateaued on the ectasy. However, speed is a lot cheaper and has a similar effect.

Gorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Coke makes people act like assholes

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Coke makes people act like assholes

Fuck you! I never needed drugs to be an asshole.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone ever have bad experiences with e?

Cause man, I had a fucked up night last night.

Like when I did it, my emotions were swinging up and down uncontrollably. I've never had that happen... and my two friends who did it were fine.

Kinda freaked me out.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Anyone ever have bad experiences with e?

Yes and it all came down to my state of mind. One time I did it after failing 2 university finals earlier that day and just had a bleh night overall. The other time I was on it with someone and they decided they wanted to leave me to go with some other people and that threw me for a really bad mood/depression that lasted well into the next day.

djklay on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I tripped out on shrooms all yesterday afternoon. No hallucinations but certain patterns, like wood grain and for some reason one of my Rubik's cubes, looked quite suspect, like they were about to move but not quite. Most of the experience was psychological; my buddies and I spent a lot of time wandering around my house and backyard examining and questioning all manner of everyday crap that you normally don't think about. What's it like to be a fish? Who designed this chair and why? What do dogs think about? Why is the garden so orderly and trimmed when nature just wants to grow all over? And later, deep philosophical discussions about Life, the Universe and Everything. Often we found ourselves simply unable to describe the complex thoughts we were having. It's just surreal, and it lasts for hours.

Azio on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You don't exactly hallucinate on shrooms/LSD (though you may if you take enough, I'm not sure). You won't see things that aren't there, like an elephant walking across the room or your refridgerator walking out the door.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I want to try shrooms so bad. I just need to find the right people to do it with.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I smoked a bunch of opium and played croquet last night. It was kinda odd.

I've seen people kinda flip out on E a few times. One kinda got really paranoid and wouldn't come out of a walk-in closet for the whole night. Like, it was strange, everyone ended up circulating thought visiting with her. It was her first time too, and she ended up not having a horrible time, in the closet. Rolled again a couple weeks later, and was ok.

I've ate a lot of garbage, but you can't blame that on MDMA.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    what is smoking opium like? I've never had it directly at all.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    kinda like getting baked and eating painkillers, but the buzz goes away kinda quick. It leaves you a bit lethargic after.

redx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    redx wrote: »
    kinda like getting baked and eating painkillers, but the buzz goes away kinda quick. It leaves you a bit lethargic after.

my favorite thing about painkillers is how long they last, so that's a bit of a bummer.

but I like that combo all in one.

Variable on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You don't exactly hallucinate on shrooms/LSD (though you may if you take enough, I'm not sure). You won't see things that aren't there, like an elephant walking across the room or your refridgerator walking out the door.
    I think if you eat an amount 2.5 grams or more on an empty stomach you're pretty likely to see some crazy shit, like wood grain patterns appearing to flow like rivers and objects appearing to melt or warp in front of you. There's also closed-eye visuals like geometric shapes and patterns. Unfortunately I didn't get that far, but The Mood was certainly there and it lasted for about eight hours.

Azio on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    I think if you eat an amount 2.5 grams or more on an empty stomach you're pretty likely to see some crazy shit, like wood grain patterns appearing to flow like rivers and objects appearing to melt or warp in front of you. There's also closed-eye visuals like geometric shapes and patterns. Unfortunately I didn't get that far, but The Mood was certainly there and it lasted for about eight hours.

I've seen what amounts to Windows Media Player's visualizations over my field of vision for 12 hours, yes, but never flying up to heaven and playing a round of Poker with St. Peter.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »

my favorite thing about painkillers is how long they last, so that's a bit of a bummer.

yea ive found opium to be pretty weak sauce compared to oxycodone (although im told thats weak sauce compared to heroin).

however i would suggest neither to anyone who cannot practice self control.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Only time I've seen shit that wasn't actually there was after eating a lot of Benadryl. Swarms of insects flying out of my couch and people talking on my back porch who would disappear if I went outside. I turned the lights out to go to bed, and got lost in my living room for about 10 minutes

redx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Only time I've seen shit that wasn't actually there was after eating a lot of Benadryl. Swarms of insects flying out of my couch and people talking on my back porch who would disappear if I went outside. I turned the lights out to go to bed, and got lost in my living room for about 10 minutes

Hm...

It sounds like you got brain damage.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    polarblue wrote: »

yea ive found opium to be pretty weak sauce compared to oxycodone (although im told thats weak sauce compared to heroin).

well, definitely. but I like oxy a lot and would like to try anything similar.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Once when I was on mushrooms I essentially saw a tile pattern of faces over everything I could see, resembling these:

istockphoto_2084031_theatre_masks_tragedy_comedy.jpg

They expressed whatever mood I was in. Laughing if I was laughing, calm (think :|) when I was calm.

I could still see everything that was actually there, its like there was a transparent layer of these faces over everything though.

It was awesome

Al_wat on
  • Options
    polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    polarblue wrote: »

well, definitely. but I like oxy a lot and would like to try anything similar.

i dunno, if you like oxy i think you may be a bit disappointed in opium

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Opium does, however, smell fantastic. I'd use it as incense, both because of the smell and because it was relaxing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like that Joe Rogan is your reason to do a drug.

not that I have a problem with it. it's just funny.

"Civilization would crumble if anyone had access to pot and jet packs. Who would go in the the mortgage company when you can smoke pot and fly?"
    -Joe Rogan

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

"Civilization would crumble if anyone had access to pot and jet packs. Who would go in the the mortgage company when you can smoke pot and fly?"
    -Joe Rogan

That's just awesome.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll take some of whatever the circumcision thread is smoking, thanks.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Smoking pot will bring out the visuals more

Dont do that shit. Benadryl will kill you. I am not shitting you.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Over-the-counter Robotripping is so damn bad for you. Yes, I know no drugs are good for you, but Benadryl/Robitussin/Nyquil is fucking bad for you.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

Dont do that shit. Benadryl will kill you. I am not shitting you.

Also it doesn't work very well for allergies.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »

-Joe Rogan

That's just awesome.

It is my duty to maintain civilization, and protect mankind from pot and jetpacks. Membership in the secret society does have perks tho

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

Smoking pot will bring out the visuals more

Thats actually what triggered my above story. It was right after I smoked weed, while on mushrooms.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    This seems like the thread to mention this new finding. Sorry if it has already been mentioned.

It turns out weed may not be as harmless as people think.

ege02 on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hopefully this isn't buried somewhere upthread, I'm not wading through 400 posts.

Anyone else been tuned in to someone enough while tripping that you could more or less finish each other's sentences, or communicate 90% non-verbally? Never had a good organic brain explanation for that one, in contrast to the music enhancement, CEV/OEV, emotional lability, etc. that one experiences on these drugs.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    This seems like the thread to mention this new finding. Sorry if it has already been mentioned.

"The researchers said they couldn't prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known."

Hmmmm..

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My take on Drugs: I am ALL for a grown adult putting whatever other substances they want to use/abuse into their system as long as it will affect only them and them only. Problem is, some of them will probably use it irresponsibly and drive to work high on crank or something and end up making a huge ass crash. And that's just talking about the adults, teens will probably go real heavily into coke and shit and get date raped/etc.

If I was in charge though, I would make for tough ass punishments for irresponsible behavior. Driving drunk? Okay, now you are banned for driving, permanently, for life. No if's, and's or but's. If you are a negligent parent doing coke all the time while your 3 year old starves; you get an all expense paid try to prison for 20 years. At least for the first few years, it will be bad, but with a system like this, we can at least keep the assholes down while having everyone else enjoying new freedoms with the knowledge that it is kept well supervised. Drugs aren't my thing, neither is smoking, nor drinking; but if you want to do it, go right ahead. I have no problems with it unless it affects me directly in a serious manner, as opposed to what other people bitch about; mild inconveniences like having to drive a drunk friend home so he doesn't crash anywhere.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote:

This is just a review of previously published papers.

None of these studies can readily separate cause from effect; are people predisposed to being psychotic more likely to seek drugs in the first place, or to use them heavily? Drug-seeking behavior is noted in a number of DSM-IV diagnoses.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

You do realize of course that that's exactly the kind of logic used in D.A.R.E. to teach kids that smoking a joint will turn you into a crack-head, right? Do I have to explain how a correllation/causation error works or are we good here?

Edit:
    The scientists found a more disturbing outlook for "heavy users" of pot, those who used it daily or weekly: Their risk for psychosis jumped to a range of 50 percent to 200 percent.
    Yeah, a 200% probability huh? :lol:
    For those of you who weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling, there is no such thing as probability 2.0, if you get that answer it's because you did something wrong.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that's not actually a mistake, just a different way of talking about the raised risk.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg